Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Only took 12+ years. Amazing.

www.gq.com

Nicolas Cage Can Explain It All

GQ’s April cover star details why every extraordinary thing about his wild work and life actually makes perfect sense.

Amazing long form article by GQ here. Click it, I'm not copying and pasting the whole thing.

On VOD

Cage is matter-of-fact when he speaks about how he went from headlining blockbusters to going straight to VOD. "The phone stopped ringing," he says. "It was like, 'What do you mean we're not doing National Treasure 3? It's been 14 years. Why not?' " He would often get a circuitous answer, but he knew what the elephant in the room was. "Well, Sorcerer's Apprentice didn't work, and Ghost Rider didn't really sell tickets. And Drive Angry, that just came and went.' "

On phoning it in

When I was doing four movies a year, back to back to back, I still had to find something in them to be able to give it my all," he says. "They didn't work, all of them. Some of them were terrific, like Mandy, but some of them didn't work. But I never phoned it in. So if there was a misconception, it was that. That I was just doing it and not caring. I was caring."

On debts

Alongside the downturn in his career, we started to see the cracks in his personal life. There were the incidents of public drunkenness; his divorce from his wife of 12 years; the four-day marriage he subsequently entered into while intoxicated; the videos of him unwinding at karaoke after that ordeal, which were sold to TMZ.
There was much more that we didn't see. Namely, him grieving his father and trying to take care of his elderly mother. "I've got all these creditors and the IRS and I'm spending $20,000 a month trying to keep my mother out of a mental institution, and I can't," he says. "It was just all happening at once."

On today

His debts are paid. His career has re-railed. He has remarried and is welcoming new life.

Last edited:

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Love Nic Cage, hope he can stay out of debt and continue to put out amazing performances.

Make Egg Head happen!

Jun 20, 2021
One of the finest acting performances of the 80s is Cage in Vampire's Kiss and it's often held up as an example of bad acting.

But it's an actor who 100% understood the assignment and delivered it perfectly. Out of context clips make it look fucking ridiculous but in the context of the movie it is a work of absolute genius performed by a master.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Is he going to start being more picky about projects or keep saying yes to all sort of stuff, since it appears he really loves what he does, even if it's stuff the rest of the world might not appreciate?

Oct 30, 2017
Of all the things about Cage, I would never ever accuse him of phoning in a performance. Dude seems to be a total professional.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for him, sorcerer's apprentice and nation treasure 1 and 2 are legit some of my favourite family movies ever and I'm happy they exist. A lot of movies I like involve cage in fact and I'm looking forward to more in the future.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The day I got debt free felt really fucking great and I only had low 5 figures worth.

I can only imagine what get out from under millions feels like.

Oct 28, 2017
i'm shocked that he's only 58 years old. he was a LOT younger than I thought he was. maybe it was the hairline or something, but if I googled his name it said he was 68 I would not have been surprised at all. I hope he can make a comeback. He's had some really incredibly good and some incredibly bad, but mostly always memorable performances.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the finest acting performances of the 80s is Cage in Vampire's Kiss and it's often held up as an example of bad acting.

But it's an actor who 100% understood the assignment and delivered it perfectly. Out of context clips make it look fucking ridiculous but in the context of the movie it is a work of absolute genius performed by a master.

Same to the clips people like to post from Face/Off. What looks like bad acting in an isolated gif works perfectly in the movie.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
His dual roles in Adaptation. are a tour de force, and there's plenty of other great Cage performances. Pig was one of my favorite films of last year.

I always root for the guy to come back and succeed.

Oct 28, 2017

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
This warms my heart.

Nic Cage's performance in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans was one for the ages. I would love to see another Nic Cage and Werner Herzog team-up.

Oct 30, 2017

Vampire's Kiss is a legitimately good and hilarious B-movie.

That movie would be an A24 darling if it were released today. Just buff the horror element slightly and you got a great dark comedy.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is currently 100% on Rottentomatoes with bunch of reviews, and 9.3 on IMDB. Cage is doing really, really good! Glad all that debt nastiness is over with.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if he might look for a DC or Marvel gig, I know that's pretty boring but hey would nice to see him doing something like that after Ghost Rider again.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
A living legend. He's found his niche over the past few years and it seems he's just getting started after 30 years in the business.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

The Rock, Conair and Face-off was a legendary combo, I loved these movies. I first saw him in Arizona Junior, such a great movie.

I should watch Leaving Las Vegas.

Apr 2, 2021
Honestly might miss this. having Nic Cage show up in like 5 movies a year was fun, even if the movies were garbage when he says he "never phoned it in" he is 100% telling the truth. You still got good movies from him every once in a while (Mandy, Pig) but also had stupid garbage with great Cage performances to watch when you're high and too lazy to figure out an actual good movie to check out (Jiu-jitsu, Willy's Wonderland)

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Cage fucking rules. Being able to pull off a quiet role as a heartbroken pet owner in Pig really put him over the top in my book.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This warms my heart.

Nic Cage's performance in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans was one for the ages. I would love to see another Nic Cage and Werner Herzog team-up.
"Shoot him again!"

"...why?"

"His soul is still dancing" *insert absolutely insane depraved laughter as a mans ghost breakdances*

Fun fucking movie.