M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
If you pre-ordered on Steam, try submitting a manual refund request (find the game in your purchase history and click "I have a question about this purchase"), explaining that your 2+ hours were spent trying to launch the game, noting that you haven't unlocked any achievements. With any luck, you might be surprised.

I didn't purchase off Steam so I'm SOL.

Apparently there's many of us experiencing this. https://frondtech.com/nier-replicant-crashing-at-startup-game-wont-launch-fix/

None of those things worked, either.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Someone tell me they found a way to turn off the motion blur please.
"yes", if you run it over 60 fps it seems to go away, someone is already working on an uncapped framrate patcher that does not speed up the game, but we are early, the game just came out, so patience :)

credit to SkacikPL on the Special K Discord.

Last edited:

JoJokomoko

May 31, 2019
Thailand
Thanks for a guide OP!

While using a PS4 controller, my character seems to occasionally stop moving after running sometimes. This usually happened after the cutscene or moving to a new area.

Does anyone have the same problem like this?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is definitely something wrong in your screen set up. If anything, the bottom right corner of the screen, the map, is much much sharper than the actual gameplay itself! It's actually kind of bothering me because it seems to be at a higher resolution than the rest of my screen Lol
I have dual 4K/120Hz displays. Valve Index plugged into my 3rd DP port. My main 4K display is cloned to my HDMI output where it gets sent out at 4K/60FPS to go to my capture card in PC number 2. My DPI scaling in Windows is set to 175% so that the user interface is a normal size on 4K displays.

This is all pretty straightforward stuff.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
You can also enable Nvidia Reflex (Nvidia GPU) and a VRR/Gsync display for extra low latency. 👍

Recommend settings for Nvidia GPU + VRR/Gsync display, credits to Aemony for the screenshot:

43UJfkE.png
This deserves to go onto PCGamingWiki imo

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm getting around 45 to 55 FPS at 4K on an overclocked 2060 Super with everything set to highest settings.

Performance mode makes the image quality noticeably worse, but doesn't seem to improve my FPS at all.

Playing at 1440p gets me a locked 60 FPS.

Since this game is way slower paced and less combat heavy than Automata, I'm tempted to keep it at 4K and deal with the variable frame rate.
Update:

I disabled Steam controller input, switched my PS4 controller from Bluetooth to USB, and enabled "prefer maximum performance" under power settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

I now get a somewhat steady 60 FPS at 4K, although it's not locked and occasionally dips to low 50s. Interestingly, my GPU usage is never at 100% when it dips (and neither is CPU, RAM or VRAM).

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Aemony made a special quick start guide for all of you in the Special K Discord:

This zip file has already recommended settings enabled by default.

JCmYtTf.png

JaseC maybe something to threadmark.

Thank you Strudel! Happy to be able to play without vsync now.

Very sad to see people getting straight crashes. Hopefully that can be fixed soon. For me it's been running okay. Steam fps counter had it at 70-90 fps at 4K with everything maxed on my machine in the early sections (W10 64-bits, 9700K, 2080Ti, 16 gb ram @ 3GHz, stock speeds, latest updates). Although I would have expected more from such a barren looking game. I guess framerate doesn't matter anyway with this unfortunate 60 fps lock. Another rough pc port... With Automata I couldn't get a decent framerate at 4K with my previous 1080Ti.
Still, looking forward to playing this during the weekend!!

Edit: rebooted the game to quickly check for HDR support and now my XBO controller is no longer recognized. Boo!

Last edited:

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
My game was running terribly, low frame rate, choppy, stuttering, poor image quality. Couldn't understand it, I'm just below recommend settings, well above minimum. I can run Fallen Order fine on high settings... why was I having trouble with this? Seemingly it was running from my integrated graphics, because setting up an exemption in the NVIDIA control panel for the game, fixed it? I'm at a loss as to why that would happen...

I realise my issue was the reverse of most people, but I thought I'd mention if anyone experienced a similar thing.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think I got it working well at 4k60 on my 3080 after enabling the sleepless render thing. Everything is buttery now.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to be getting periods, usually after some kind of transition to a new area, where the framerate suddenly tanks to 24 FPS for a few seconds. Weird...

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
TV rig 5600x/3080
I'm getting 4k/60

The only tweaks I made were NV control panel (cap framerate, prefer max performance, fast sync)
Disabled Steam inputs

I'm using a Xbox one controller with adapter. I'm not experiencing any controller drops.
I've played almost 4 hours without any issues.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
Was gonna start this tonight but I guess I'll just get a refund and wait for some patches.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
One thing I find is the image quality seems bad. Like I'm not sure I actually believe it's really 1440, I dunno. I notice that changing it to super sample from a higher resolution just crashes the game which is a bit scary in a game with a classic save system

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I find is the image quality seems bad. Like I'm not sure I actually believe it's really 1440, I dunno. I notice that changing it to super sample from a higher resolution just crashes the game which is a bit scary in a game with a classic save system
I'm in 1440p too. It's definitely running at native res for me, but there seem to be effects that are really low resolution that lead to weird flickering when in motion. Probably some kind of SSAO, if I had to guess.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Installing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable helped my launch issue where the game wouldn't load at all. Now working on getting my controller working.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I can't get it to stay at locked 4k/60 after all. What is it with this game...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is the game supposed to have dark translucent bars on the top and bottom of cutscenes all the time?

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ehhh I don't think the port is that bad. I've played a few hours now and the game is fully playable and looks quite nice in 4K. I just wish I could figure out how to lock in 60 FPS without having to drop resolution. Lowering LOD, shadows, AA, etc doesn't seem to make much of a difference in FPS.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
TV rig 5600x/3080
I'm getting 4k/60

The only tweaks I made were NV control panel (cap framerate, prefer max performance, fast sync)
Disabled Steam inputs

I'm using a Xbox one controller with adapter. I'm not experiencing any controller drops.
I've played almost 4 hours without any issues.

This is my experience too, same setup, only diff is 3700x for CPU. Seems perfectly/suspiciously fine!

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sticking with 1440p for the time being. Seems like something is hogging up the performance somewhere. I'm guessing that's why console got limited to 1080p. Is this running off the same engine as Automata? If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the performance issues from that game aren't here as well.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times (1):

I have used Adaptive V-Sync (halves the frame rate) for years, when games fluctuate from 40 to 60 fps. This effectively locks the game to 30fps, which is far more desirable than the ups and downs and has the added effect of "feeling actually smoother".

I want to do the same , but for 60fps. I dont want 65-72-84 fps. I want a lock 60 fps....but I have not found clear instructions. I use an old 1060GTX, Nvidia with the latest official drivers and no modifications/special configurations. You recommend 3 different things, which one should I try first?

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After using Special K, this port isn't bad. It's just locked at 60FPS, doesn't support 21:9 resolutions, and it may be a little too demanding at resolutions higher than 1440p. But it's not god awful and at least it's not stuck at 1080p. It's a little bare bones, but it really isn't the worst port ever. Not even close.