Dec 11, 2017
India
A-NieR-Game-Might-Be-In-The-Works-Or-Not-Says-NieR-Producer-Yosuke-Saito-Spiel-Times.webp

In talks with former Capcom producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Saito said, "I've been talking about wanting to do something with Yoko and Okabe for some time now. I'll have something a bit more put-together to say in the not-too-distant future, so please stay tuned. It might be NieR, it might not be NieR. (laughs) That's about all I can say for now."

"I'm looking forward to the day we can announce it," he said regarding the other projects.

Last year, he said it isn't NieR. (Thanks NediarPT88)

www.resetera.com

Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro are working on a new project that is not NieR, but they still plan to make a new entry at some point. News - Square Enix

https://x.com/Genki_JPN/status/1726209453664686394?s=20 Source: https://www.4gamer.net/games/353/G035315/20231119003/ Translation with DeepL

Sources:
ryokutya2089-com.translate.goog

NieRシリーズプロデューサー「ヨコオタロウさんとMONACA岡部啓一とのプロジェクトが進行中。ニーアかもしれないし違うかもしれない」 | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

ファミ通最新号にて元カプコン小林裕幸さんと齊藤陽介さんの対談が急遽実現 齊藤陽介氏 ・ヨコオさんと岡部さんとなにかやりたいと話をずっとしている ・そう遠くないうちにもう少しまとまったことが話せるのでご期待いただければ ・ニーアかもしれないしニーアじゃないかもしれない(笑)今言えるのはこれくらい ・もう1つそれとは別に企画が動いている ・まだ世にないものを作りたいという気持ちで色々やっている ・そちらにかかりっきりになれないのでほぼスタッフに任せる形になっているがなかなかおもしろいものになってきた ・発表できる日が楽しみ 小林裕幸 ・アクションRPGを制作中...

Translation by salromano
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/05/yosuke-saito-working-on-new-project-with-yoko-taro-and-keiichi-okabe

Last edited:

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Yeah, OK, great. I feel like they've been teasing "something" for years now. If it's not announced this summer (say, from PS showcase to Xbox showcase) I'll be pissed.

OP
OP
Pingal Pratyush
Dec 11, 2017
India

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, honestly, with Square Enix in the state they are in, not making a new Nier AAA game might be one of the biggest fumbles in this decade of the video game industry. CLEARLY Yoko Taro is happy to be working in the industry and CLEARLY he is happy to work on most things as long as the money is there. It's insane to me that Square at some point didn't just give both Platinum and Yoko Taro a huge bag of money and basically begged them to please make another one.

Maybe they did! But seeing both Platinum and Yoko Taro working with Square Enix after Nier Automata released makes it pretty clear to me that they would be up for another one under the right circumstances.

It's kind of hilarious that both Drakengard and Nier 1 got sequels faster than the one breakout hit in the franchise with Nier Automata. Hell, in 3 years, the gap in time between Nier Automata and a big console sequel will be bigger than the one between Drakengard 1 and Drakengard 3. It's already the same amount of time as there was between Drakengard 1 and Nier 1! How is this even possible lol

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I am eagerly awaiting whatever they do next... as long as it's not another gacha or voice of cards...

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
The fact that we haven't heard about Nier 3, which makes perfect business sense, suggests that Yoko Taro might not really want to do it, or hasn't been able to come up with a way to do it. My pessimist side tells me now SE is desperate to get Nier 3 made no matter what, and that might be reflected in the quality of the end product.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hope Yoko Taro gets to work on something original and exciting instead of being dragged into a strange [redacted] spinoff no one asked for.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, honestly, with Square Enix in the state they are in, not making a new Nier AAA game might be one of the biggest fumbles in this decade of the video game industry. CLEARLY Yoko Taro is happy to be working in the industry and CLEARLY he is happy to work on most things as long as the money is there. It's insane to me that Square at some point didn't just gave both Platinum and Yoko Taro a huge bag of money and basically begged them to please make another one.

Maybe they did! But seeing both Platinum and Yoko Taro working with Square Enix after Nier Automata released makes it pretty clear to me that they would be up for another one under the right circumstances.

It's kind of hilarious that both Drakengard and Nier 1 got sequels faster than the one breakout hit in the franchise with Nier Automata. Hell, in 3 years, the gap in time between Nier Automata and a big console sequel will be bigger than the one between Drakengard 1 and Drakengard 3. It's already the same amount of time as there was between Drakengard 1 and Nier 1! How is this even possible lol

I am pretty sure square wouldve been happy to greenlight any nier project Yoko Taro wanted to do. I mean, they remade the first one, after all.
It just seems that he genuinely didnt/doesnt want to do it.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm legit shocked Square took their time and let Yoko do whatever when he was ready.

Thought they were gonna pressure for a nier sequel immediately after Automata's critical and commercial success

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect Nier.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I am pretty sure square wouldve been happy to greenlight any nier project Yoko Taro wanted to do. I mean, they remade the first one, after all.
It just seems that he genuinely didnt/doesnt want to do it.

It absolutely a possibility, but I really, really doubt it - Taro worked on the Nier Remake, he worked on the Nier Anime, he continued to work on the Nier theatrical play, he toured the world with the Nier Orchestra and wrote new stuff for that, he wrote for a new Nier Replicant novel, he worked as a director on three mobile games and three console games AND wrote for the Nier raid from Final Fantasy 14.

Clearly he loves working in this world, coming up with new stories and loves to continue working in media of all forms. I just have really big trouble imagining that if Square Enix approached him and Platinum and said "He, here is this giant bag of money, please go wild and do whatever the hell you want" he would say no to that. But yeah, there is a chance that exactly that happened. I just don't think it's incredibly likely looking at his work in the last 7 years.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
My first question is why is he talking to Kobayashi? I need the full conversation asap.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
My first question is why is he talking to Kobayashi? I need the full conversation asap.
Media publications in Japan often facilitate and feature casual interviews between creators from different studios and publishers so they can talk about the industry, what they are working on, or even just hobbies and whatnot. It's the magazine nature of the games media in Japan. It doesn't mean they are working together on anything, usually just that they have a personal relationship and know each other.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
It absolutely a possibility, but I really, really doubt it - Taro worked on the Nier Remake, he worked on the Nier Anime, he continued to work on the Nier theatrical play, he toured the world with the Nier Orchestra and wrote new stuff for that, he wrote for a new Nier Replicant novel, he worked as a director on three mobile games and three console games AND wrote for the Nier raid from Final Fantasy 14.
I'm getting JRR Martin flashback. Dude seems to be working on everything related to ASoIaF except book 6.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I mean, honestly, with Square Enix in the state they are in, not making a new Nier AAA game might be one of the biggest fumbles in this decade of the video game industry. CLEARLY Yoko Taro is happy to be working in the industry and CLEARLY he is happy to work on most things as long as the money is there. It's insane to me that Square at some point didn't just give both Platinum and Yoko Taro a huge bag of money and basically begged them to please make another one.

I mean if its a AAA Nier the time gap seems p normal.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's either not Nier, or another Gacha game. Anything else would be outside the bounds of this reality.

Oct 30, 2017
Nier become a big success IP and what do they do?

Not releasing another entry or even started to work on one for YEARS :/

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
So a new game's development hasn't even started in the past years...?

Which means it's 6-8 years away even if they start now, which they haven't done yet?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So a new game's development hasn't even started in the past years...?

Which means it's 6-8 years away even if they start now, which they haven't done yet?

Saito's said that they hope to talk about the next game from Taro some time this year. So, it seems like it's been in development for a while now. It's just not going to be a new Nier.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
He said it wasn't Nier at the end of last year.

www.resetera.com

Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro are working on a new project that is not NieR, but they still plan to make a new entry at some point. News - Square Enix

https://x.com/Genki_JPN/status/1726209453664686394?s=20 Source: https://www.4gamer.net/games/353/G035315/20231119003/ Translation with DeepL

He could always be lying though.

With how loosely connected the original and Automata are they could just do aynthing and call it Nier.
Unless you ride a dragon, then its Drakengard 4.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I don't care if it is Nier or new ip, I just want another big game from him soonish.