We are who we choose to be—now choose:

• Open-world forever

Votes: 1,004 75.4%
  • Multiplayer forever

Votes: 327 24.6%

• Total voters

Reaper55

Oct 25, 2017
People on a game forum would rather destroy gaming, than allow co-op in games. Multiplayer can be implemented discretely - Final Fantasy 6 had multiplayer, you can set party members to other controllers. Mario Maker has multiplayer. Asynchronous multiplayer or multiplayer implemented in ways that are non-intrusive would make more people happy.

But forcing an open world into every game? Just thinking of some genres that would be ruined: 4X, Visual Novels, dungeon crawlers, Linear Story Experiences, Collectable Card Games, Roguelikes? You can make those all multiplayer (Co-op player votes on responses with main host, Co-op player controls an aspect of the game, co-op player makes decisions, plays with you as a team mate) with little to no impact on the actual game.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Easiest choice ever for me. I have played about 3 MP things in my 40 years of playing video games and am a loner who enjoys the solitary pleasure they can provide, they being all open-world is fine, assuming you can straight line the story if you wanted to and not engage in the side faff that usually bloats open-world.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
People on a game forum would rather destroy gaming, than allow co-op in games. Multiplayer can be implemented discretely - Final Fantasy 6 had multiplayer, you can set party members to other controllers

I'm pretty sure thats not the type of multiplayer OP is suggesting because it would make the choice pretty stupid. Its like saying every game being open world only start if you press a toggle. Using your FF6 example, imagine only being able to play it if someone else controlled other party members - that would completely ruin the game, at least for me.

Also multiplayer defenders just cant understand how much it impacts the experience for people who dont want it. I dont care if you dont find someone else just casually strolling on your game "unintrusive". I think it is. Thats what matters.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Wait... how is 'every game is multiplayer' a nightmare? Wouldn't that be awesome?

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer would give you way more flexibility in terms of design while not completely erasing a bunch of genres. These poll results are crazy but completely unsurprising given the forum.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Open world purely as it doesn't require an Internet connection to do that so I can keep playing games I loved down the road.

Forced multiplayer is awful but if it could straight up be co-op like borderlands etc then it's vastly less bad. But as I said above, it would require either having someone there to play with every time in person or an always online connection which is shit. Open worlds don't require those.

Nov 4, 2017
I love single player open world games. This isn't even a hard choice for me. I don't have time to be blasted with racism, homophobia, transphobia and misogyny at a rate of 22 SPM (slurs per minute) by some 19 year old incel living in his parents' basement.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Well I love open world games so everything being open world sounds not bad, and you can still have multiplayer in that wish so this was simple.

Lemony1984

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Open World games suck.

Not a big multiplayer guy but I'd take say every game being Monster Hunter over every game being Assassin's Creed.