• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm digging the Bomberman meets Metroid feel of Bomb Chicken. I will keep an eye on that.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Messenger looks great, but I already knew that. Bomb Chicken I had not heard of and looks really cool. It looks like a Bomberman platformer or something.

Oct 26, 2017
You'd think Bomb Chicken would be instant KFC.
Cg0fGgo.png

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me. The person playing pool panic made me want to slap the controller out of their hands. Still buying. That bomb chicken, messenger are day 0

Edit: just watched shapes and beats. My God. It's a musical shoot em up. Reminds me of beat trip +

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I was already excited for Bomb Chicken, Pode, Light Fall, and Just Shapes and Beats, but was happy to learn about Pool Panic as well.

It feels like Nintendo is really doing indies well, similar to the approach the Vita had. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GameCube, but if they continue to focus on signing some great exclusive or timed exclusive indie deals, I may have to pick up a Switch.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bomb Chicken....wow. Game looks really great. Now one of my most anticipated Switch games. Even the music is cool as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
Bomb Chicken actually looks really awesome. I wish they'd actually given these games some extended looks in the Direct. They could have kept the same number of games, but stretched it to 30 mins by actually showing off footage of them

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Bomb Chicken has some nice potential going on, while The Messenger looks great. Pool Panic looks quite charming too.

Travis Strikes Back is definitely rocking the suda style least.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bomb Chicken actually looks really awesome. I wish they'd actually given these games some extended looks in the Direct. They could have kept the same number of games, but stretched it to 30 mins by actually showing off footage of them

I've grown to greatly appreciate Nintendo's shorter presentations. I think the length of that showcase was almost perfect. I love that the average Direct has really trimmed back its length, while still bombarding us with announcements.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, don't even need to watch the footage.

I'm on the fence with The Messenger. it looks like there's dialogue, shops, skill trees, etc. when I'd probably enjoy it more without that stuff.

Yeah, that video actually tempered my excitement for The Messenger a bit, though I'm sure I'll still check it out. I'm worried the dialogue is going to be filled with bad attempts at humor and callbacks and that's not really what I'm looking for in "modern" retro games. Lots of these types of games fall into the trap of being too on the nose in that regard. A game like Bomb Chicken is very much inspired by games of the past ,but it doesn't appear to feel the need to constantly remind the player of this fact. Hopefully The Messenger is the same.

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Fantasy Strike is very bland visually imo, but if you can get past that, it's a legitimately great fighting game. I've played many hours with friends and it's a total blast.
I feel the same way, it looks meh at first blush, but once you get into it it's an interesting cross between Smash Bros. approachability and 2D fighters. I think the biggest hurdle it has to getting more acceptance is that it's not as frantic as other 2D fighting games; it's more old-school in its pace and tactical in its gameplay.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely getting a Shovel Knight type take on Ninja Gaiden on The Messenger when I first saw the game and I still have that seeing the footage. Definitely keeping an eye on it.
Bomb Chicken looks really neat and cool like I thought when I saw it at the showcase. Reminds me of classic 2D platformer mixed with some Bomberman and chickens. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.
I was already really into Lumines Remastered and West of Loathing from what I've heard about the games before. Can't wait for them to come out!
Just Shapes and Beats is my kinda game: a rhythm/music-based bullet hell style game. Light Fall and Bad North are on my radar.
And, of course, Travis Strikes Back is something I'll continue to look at. It may not be NMH3, but it's still Suda and looks interesting to me.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, don't even need to watch the footage.

I'm on the fence with The Messenger. it looks like there's dialogue, shops, skill trees, etc. when I'd probably enjoy it more without that stuff.

Yeah, that video actually tempered my excitement for The Messenger a bit, though I'm sure I'll still check it out. I'm worried the dialogue is going to be filled with bad attempts at humor and callbacks and that's not really what I'm looking for in "modern" retro games. Lots of these types of games fall into the trap of being too on the nose in that regard. A game like Bomb Chicken is very much inspired by games of the past ,but it doesn't appear to feel the need to constantly remind the player of this fact. Hopefully The Messenger is the same.

Cyber Shadow might be more to your liking. It's not announced for Switch, but it looks more like a straight up action game. https://www.resetera.com/threads/cyber-shadow-nes-style-ninja-game-under-development.25100/

The Messenger is a Ninja Metroidvania, according to the fact sheet. https://i.imgur.com/iGSs8zR.jpg

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyber Shadow might be more to your liking. It's not announced for Switch, but it looks more like a straight up action game. https://www.resetera.com/threads/cyber-shadow-nes-style-ninja-game-under-development.25100/

The Messenger is a Ninja Metroidvania, according to the fact sheet. https://i.imgur.com/iGSs8zR.jpg

Cyber Shadow looks awesome. I'm sure The Messenger will be good as well, I just have a few personal concerns that probably won't be a big deal to most.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bomb Chicken looks really fun and funny. That is one to keep an eye on for sure.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Another Messenger video from NWR. This shows off the 16-bit graphics. It looks really good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I was just listening to this week's Nintendo Voice Chat, and Both Bomb Chicken and The Messenger are Altano approved. :)

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, West of Loathing looks pretty good too. I'll probably end up buying like half these games.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The Messenger looks great but I am super turned off by the music. Doesn't feel authentic to me at all. Faux retro music really bugs me. Huge, huge turn off. Reminds me of Mutant Mudds music and that's not a compliment, at least not coming from me.

Bomb Chicken looks like the bomb.