• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Today, we are announcing Project: Mara, our new in-development experimental title that explores new ways of storytelling, and we're excited to share the first details with you.

Project: Mara will be a real-world and grounded representation of mental terror. Based on real lived experience accounts and in-depth research, our aim is to recreate the horrors of the mind as accurately and realistically as possible. Project: Mara will be an experimental title and a showcase of what could become a new storytelling medium.

Since joining Xbox Game Studios in 2018, we've been hard at work on our upcoming multiplayer brawler Bleeding Edge, our new recently-announced innovative R&D project, The Insight Project, and of course Senua's Saga: Hellblade II. These projects will continue to drive our development goals for the next few years and will help shape Ninja Theory's vision for our future.

You can follow the development journey of all of our new projects – Senua's Saga, The Insight Project and Project: Mara on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
How big are they? Seems like they have quite a few games in development

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Damn Ninja Theory, 3 games and R&D in the pipeline. Only Obsidian is busier at XGS.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I really like NT's approach of smaller teams exploring new ideas. Will be interesting to look back in a couple years and see if it worked out for them.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"While Hellblade gave us a very personal insight into psychosis. This sequel builds on that, to show how madness and suffering show myths, Gods and religion"

Pretty cool.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Cool but I'd have hoped to see something as groundbreaking and original as Hellblade not be followed up with more "mental illness" themed. I don't want this to become their image.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Really loved the Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice developer diaries and looking forward to watching these as well.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Wish this was in VR.

Hellblade eventually was (and was amazing), but something like this would be even crazier.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Wish this was in VR.

Hellblade eventually was (and was amazing), but something like this would be even crazier.

They're experimenting with VR and eye tracking so there's a chance Project Mara comes to VR.

Also they show a quick snippet of Project Mara around the 6:20 mark of the video.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ehhh, I wish they would just funnel all of their resources into Hellblade 2 and make that game as grand as it can be.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Sounds like Phil just said. Do it. Whatever you wanna do, do it. Then they were like, but what about the budget. And Phil was like. Lol. We are MS. Then they were like but what about team size. We need more people. And Phil was like. Lol. We are Microsoft. Hire 100 employees. Then they were like. Damn. Let's make 100 games

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice. If anyone can pull that off it's Ninja Theory.

After finishing Hellblade the other day, I was thinking of how the perception towards their portrayal of psychosis would have been different if it was in a real-world setting.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
I'm amazed at the number of concurrent projects. I'm glad XGS is enabling them to pursue their ambitions.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
One of the positives that come with being acquired from such a large company like MS. Get to branch out a bit more without fear of not being able to pay bills the next month.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I just remembered - those that speculated the three circles in the Hellblade II trailer meant another project in the works were right :D

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to whatever this is, it's certainly an intriguing premise (albeit there's really not enough information at this time).

Hopefully once Bleeding Edge is out there that team can focus on a sequel to DmC, should the studio pursue this avenue.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I assume this new project will be VR. Or maybe thats the insight one? I know that co-founder guy is really interested in VR.

Also I guess they are going to do some kind of documentary like Double Fine Adventure?

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
glad that microsoft is letting them do what they are passionate about. doubling down on their mental health research

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Cool but I'd have hoped to see something as groundbreaking and original as Hellblade not be followed up with more "mental illness" themed. I don't want this to become their image.
At a time where mental illness awareness is at an all time low, this is critical.

I don't know how anyone could NOT want more games that explore, illuminate and create sympathy for people that suffer the horrors of mental illness.

Not to mention, perhaps the coolest concept and exploration of "gods and myth" themed games:

"While Hellblade gave us a very personal insight into psychosis. This sequel builds on that, to show how madness and suffering show myths, Gods and religion"

Pretty cool.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, I wish they would just funnel all of their resources into Hellblade 2 and make that game as grand as it can be.
Hellblade 2's team is double the size of Hellblade. Plus they're aiming to prove that small teams can do great things using procedural technologies and smart tools.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Glad NT are finally getting some solid bundles of cash thrown at them to try pushing some of this stuff. Lack of budget and publisher restrictions seem to have been one of the biggest things holding them back in the past.