psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
You can play it. It's available for sale. You just don't want to pay for any of the three devices it is on. Just like every other exclusive ever.
you don't know my finances? "just pay hundreds of bucks for a single game bro"

it's not like i claimed nintendo should do anything. i'm just disappointed i can't play that game anymore. your desire to defend nintendo is clouding your judgement.
But you can't argue that the game isn't available.
good thing i didn't!

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Really sucks that Nintendo is so behind on this sort of stuff. Game preservation is important and most companies don't take it seriously, but at least most aren't complete assholes about it like Nintendo.

Do we know if this is all NoA's doing? Or is it mainly coming from the NoJ branch?

I don't think Nintendo are behind the times. They've offered us 12 years of Virtual Console over 3 machines, NES & SNES Classic Mini's, Nintendo Online Service on Switch, and Hamster are re-releasing Nintendo's old arcade games.

So yes, a good deal of Nintendo's own older games have been available to us. What other publishers offer is not as great.

Oct 30, 2017
You can play it. It's available for sale. You just don't want to pay for any of the three devices it is on. Just like every other exclusive ever.

Nowadays people expect to transfer their games to the next device the same company releases. Expecially if there is no technical limitation. For example if someone bought Mario Bros on Wii, 3DS, and had it on NES Classic. They probably thought as Nintendo have a account system they can download their already purchased Mario Bros on Switch. However they can't they need to purchase Switch Online or buy it on eShop for the ACA version.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I can't wait for Sony and MS to start taking down anyone they think is harboring their content through emulation with ridiculous fines they obviously know cant be paid :l

Seriously, i cant really root for anybody in this scenario

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Nintendo are behind the times. They've offered us 12 years of Virtual Console over 3 machines, NES & SNES Classic Mini's, Nintendo Online Service on Switch, and Hamster are re-releasing Nintendo's old arcade games.

So yes, a good deal of Nintendo's own older games have been available to us. What other publishers offer is not as great.

So I must rebuy the game and not be able to transfer my already purchased game from Nintendo's previous console even though they have a account system in place and a working NES emulator for their latest system

Oct 30, 2017
I believe they are just following the established industry standard.

Andoird, iOS, Steam, Xbox, Kindle

They seem to be good at this.

Imagine having to rebuy all your ebooks for your new Kindle

Or redownload all your software for your next Samsung phone

Nintendo and Sony are the only outliners. In fact Sony as good at this with PSP and Vita and even PS3 with PS1 Classics. But they dropped the ball this gen.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand, Classic Mini plug into the power socket and HDMI, just like all modern console systems.

No wireless controllers is a pretty massive inconvenience. Not to mention that the only way to expand the game library in a legal way is to rip your own ROMs from physical cartridges. And compared to the Switch, their premiere platform right now, you are bound to a TV. The classic consoles aren't replacements for comprehensive classic game libraries and neither is their slowly expanding "Nesflix".

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
So I must rebuy the game and not be able to transfer my already purchased game from Nintendo's previous console even though they have a account system in place and a working NES emulator for their latest system

Yes you must. You already know the answer. The Virtual Console Service doesn't exist on Switch. Or, keep the original console you bought it on available for you to play.

Same as I bought Scarface from VHS to DVD to Blu-Ray to my Netflix subscription.

Wii VC games transfer over to Wii U VC for a reduced nominal fee.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
good thing i didn't!
Yes, you did.

You quoted this:
Really proud of Nintendo for protecting the games that they refuse to sell themselves.
And replied with this:
this. i really fucking wish i could replay super metroid
So now you're seriously claiming you were not linking wanting to play Super Metroid with 'games [Nintendo] refuse to sell themselves'?

You should have just admitted the example you gave was completely wrong because that game is for sale right now in three forms. You clearly did not think your argument through.

Nowadays people expect to transfer their games to the next device the same company releases. Expecially if there is no technical limitation. For example if someone bought Mario Bros on Wii, 3DS, and had it on NES Classic. They probably thought as Nintendo have a account system they can download their already purchased Mario Bros on Switch. However they can't they need to purchase Switch Online or buy it on eShop for the ACA version.
People can expect whatever they want, and that might even be fair.

But the argument was literally on the basis that Super Metroid is not available for sale right now, which is false.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you didn.

You quoted this:
And replied with this:
So now you're seriously claiming you were not linking wanting to play Super Metroid with 'games [nintendo] refuse to sell themselves'?

You should have just admitted the example you gave was completely wrong because that game is for sale right now in three forms. You clearly did not think your argument through.
your problem is that you think me saying "sux that i can't play this game i love anymore" is me trying to make an argument. i was just literally expressing my disappointment at not being able to play a game anymore, nothing else, and yet you jumped on me because ????

not everything people say online is a chance to flex your epic debate skillz lol

Oct 30, 2017
Yes you must. You already know the answer. The Virtual Console Service doesn't exist on Switch. Or, keep the original console you bought it on available for you to play.

Same as I bought Scarface from VHS to DVD to Blu-Ray to my Netflix subscription.

Wii VC games transfer over to Wii U VC for a reduced nominal fee.

You buying Scarface on VHS and not having access to it on Netflix isny a good example. Firstly your VHS copy isn't digital it would be hard for them to verify it. Secondly Netflix don't have access to all movies as they have to pay for the rights to let Netflix viewers stream.

Super Mario Bros on Wii U is owned by Nintendo and is on their own platform on a Nintendo controlled digital account. That same Nintendo account can be used to be verified on your Switch. Nintendo have full ownership of Super Mario Bros so they can easily verify that you own their digital copy. Using physical media as an example shows that you don't understand my point.

You should have used a different example such as having to rebuy Angry Birds on Samsung S9 when you already owned it on S3. Oh wait they let you download it for free as long as you use the same Google account. If only Nintendo had Nintendo account, oh wait they do. So why charge again I wonder hmmm?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
i'm not going to buy a SNES classic, a wii u, or a new 3DS just to play super metroid, lmao. i already paid for the game on the wii, but i don't have access to that console anymore.

and super metroid is lucky enough to at least be on those platforms. anyone who wants to play a more obscure game is fucked.

Do you even own a Nintendo system at all? 3DS and WiiU were Nintendos main systems until recently after all. Wii had a large Virtual Console section and on SNES you could simply play the original cartridge. SNES Classic is a relative low price solution for 21 classic games. If you own a Switch, it's simply a matter of time until they release their back catalog on the system.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
your problem is that you think me saying "sux that i can't play this game i love anymore" is me trying to make an argument. i was just literally expressing my disappointment at not being able to play a game anymore, nothing else, and yet you jumped on me because ????

not everything people say online is a chance to flex your epic debate skillz lol
Your way out now is to say 'sure I joined an argument, even going so far as to quote and agree with a point made by another poster, but I wasn't making an argument myself, just posting a tangentially related personal feeling about my situation, which is 'I'm sad, I want to play a game which I bought on a console I got rid of, and even though it's available on three other consoles right now I don't want to buy them'.

Oct 30, 2017
Anywyas I guess it's for me to say that I'm dissapointed how Nintendo handle selling their own backlog of games, and I guess let's just agree to disagree. I'm not a fan of rebuilt gamesni already own so if you guys are a fan of this great for you. I'll happily dump my ROMs and replay my games on the latest systems.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Anywyas I guess it's for me to say that I'm dissapointed how Nintendo handle selling their own backlog of games, and I guess let's just agree to disagree. I'm not a fan of rebuilt gamesni already own so if you guys are a fan of this great for you. I'll happily dump my ROMs and replay my games on the latest systems.
It is absolutely fair to not like what Nintendo or anyone else is doing with their back catalogue. 'Disappointed' is a good word for that. just like most people are disappointed with Konami for... basically everything.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
You should have used a different example such as having to rebuy Angry Birds on Samsung S9 when you already owned it on S3. Oh wait they let you download it for free as long as you use the same Google account. If only Nintendo had Nintendo account, oh wait they do. So why charge again I wonder hmmm?

Let's not act like it's any different on PS4. It's not like you you can play your digital PS3 copy of The Last of US on PS4, despite using the same account.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Your way out now is to say 'sure I joined an argument, even going so far as to quote and agree with a point made by another poster, but I wasn't making an argument myself, just posting a tangentially related personal feeling about my situation, which is 'I'm sad, I want to play a game which I bought on a console I got rid of, and even though it's available on three other consoles right now I don't want to buy them'.
my way out of what? i didn't want to be in an argument in the first place.

if the highlight of your day is winning a non-existent argument on the internet, then there, i'm giving it to you. you officially won! congrats!
Do you even own a Nintendo system at all? 3DS and WiiU were Nintendos main systems until recently after all. Wii had a large Virtual Console section and in SNES you could simply play the original cartridge. SNES Classic is a relative low price solution for 21 classic games. If you own a Switch, it's simply a matter of time until they release their back catalog on the system.
i do own a 3DS XL, but SNES games aren't available there for whatever reason. i was born in 1995, so i never owned an SNES, much less a super metroid cartridge, so that's not really an option. i did buy the game on the wii back in the day, but that's not an option anymore unfortunately. i'd rather not pay the price of a SNES classic for just one game, because money is a big issue. i do own a switch, but i don't think a virtual console is really coming if they're doing this classic thing. who knows, though. one can hope.

Oct 30, 2017
It is absolutely fair to not like what Nintendo or anyone else is doing with their back catalogue. 'Disappointed' is a good word for that. just like most people are disappointed with Konami for... basically everything.

It is dissapointing

So people shouldn't be surprised when they say they are dissapointed with Nintnedos offering in their back catalogue. It's not just about accessing their games. But accessing their games on the latest device (in this case Switch) without the need of rebuying the games again as you are using the same Nintendo account. Hell even a small fee to transfer games I wouldn't have minded. But having to get NES Online fuck that. Still not having access to play a SNES game after the Switch being out for over a year while homebrew scene are already emulating N64.

But I guess nothing can change this and the simple answer is to pay for what you think is worth your money. As I don't like getting ripped off I will not be buying NES online or rebuying ROMs from the eshop.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Nintendo and Sony are the only outliners. In fact Sony as good at this with PSP and Vita and even PS3 with PS1 Classics. But they dropped the ball this gen.

While it would be nice, the industry leader is obviously PlayStation. Android, iOS, Kindle, and Steam are kind of their own things. I do applaud Microsoft in working to make their past library available on the Xbox, we will see how long that lasts.

Having read through this thread I have learned a few things about video games.

If I want to play a game and do not agree with the:
  • platform it is available on
  • language it is available in
  • distribution method
  • time it is available
  • price it is available for
  • amount the publisher receives from the purchase
then I am justified in downloading a copy off the Internet.

Oct 30, 2017
Let's not act like it's any different on PS4. It's not like you you can play your digital PS3 copy of The Last of US on PS4, despite using the same account.

Sony are also shit they should allow you to redownload your PS1 Classics. Why compare to another company who is just as bad. As for the Last of Us argument I wouldn't use that as a comparison as the Last of Us had to be ported and isn't straight up emulated.

A good argument would be reselling Castlevania when the PS1 classic could have been emulated.

Like I said before

Kindle, iOS, Android, Xbox, Steam are good examples of letting your redownload your digital content in the next pkatform

Like I said we can agree to disagree. If your happy with this service that's good on you.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
i do own a 3DS XL, but SNES games aren't available there for whatever reason. i was born in 1995, so i never owned an SNES, much less a super metroid cartridge, so that's not really an option. i did buy the game on the wii back in the day, but that's not an option anymore unfortunately. i'd rather not pay the price of a SNES classic for just one game, because money is a big issue. i do own a switch, but i don't think a virtual console is really coming if they're doing this classic thing. who knows, though. one can hope.

Super Metroid and SNES games are on the 3DS Virtual Console, but you need a "New" Nintendo 3DS.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Super-Nintendo/Super-Metroid-279613.html

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Super Metroid and SNES games are on the 3DS Virtual Console, but you need a "New" Nintendo 3DS.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Super-Nintendo/Super-Metroid-279613.html
yeah, i know they're available on the new 3DS. that's the thing, i'd need to buy a whole entire system for a 20+ year old game, whether it's the classic system, or a console from the previous generation, and i really can't justify that. so i'm stuck not being able to replay one of my favorite games of all time, which is a shame.

Oct 30, 2017
While it would be nice, the industry leader is obviously PlayStation. Android, iOS, Kindle, and Steam are kind of their own things. I do applaud Microsoft in working to make their past library available on the Xbox, we will see how long that lasts.

• distribution method
  • time it is available

So because Sony do it it's all good.

Perhaps Android, Steam should copy Sony.

You shouldn't be surprised if people are dissapointed in 2018 you can't redownload a game you already own on the next consoles system when the content can easily be emulated or be backwards compatible.

I understand if the architecture is different and the developer has to do alot of work such as porting. Or if you owned a phsical media and that media isn't supported on the latest system. I'm shocked that you are surosied people would be dissapointed at this to each their own I guess.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It is dissapointing

So people shouldn't be surprised when they say they are dissapointed with Nintnedos offering in their back catalogue. It's not just about accessing their games. But accessing their games on the latest device (in this case Switch) without the need of rebuying the games again as you are using the same Nintendo account. Hell even a small fee to transfer games I wouldn't have minded. But having to get NES Online fuck that. Still not having access to play a SNES game after the Switch being out for over a year while homebrew scene are already emulating N64.

But I guess nothing can change this and the simple answer is to pay for what you think is worth your money. As I don't like getting ripped off I will not be buying NES online or rebuying ROMs from the eshop.

The point of the Nintendo Online Service is to play your Switch games online. True, a few games don't need the service to play online (Fortnite) but that's the main point of the service. NES games is an additional sweetener that they've bundled into the service.

The Nintendo ROMs on the eShop are their classic arcade games released by Hamster. Donkey Kong, Sky Skipper, Vs. Super Mario Bros etc, all of which have never been available to us before. These are not the same as their NES ports.

Oct 30, 2017
The point of the Nintendo Online Service is to play your Switch games online. True, a few games don't need the service to play online (Fortnite) but that's the main point of the service. NES games is an additional sweetener that they've bundled into the service.

The Nintendo ROMs on the eShop are their classic arcade games released by Hamster. Donkey Kong, Sky Skipper, Vs. Super Mario Bros etc, all of which have never been available to us before. These are not the same as their NES ports.

I understand that. What I'm saying is why are you shocked that people are dissapointed they can't simply play their already purchased digital NES game or SNES game on Nintendo's latest systems. It's a simple concept to understand.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I understand that. What I'm saying is why are you shocked that people are dissapointed they can't simply play their already purchased digital NES game or SNES game on Nintendo's latest systems. It's a simple concept to understand.
They can be disappointed. But if they're 'shocked' then they didn't do their research. In terms of backward compatibility, Nintendo did more than almost anyone for longer than anyone. Apart from the odd specific model, all their dedicated handhelds by them have always had at least one generation back full hardware backward compatibility, and their last two home consoles before the Switch also had full hardware backward compatibility.

Nintendo also re-released large numbers of previous generation games in many forms even well before the virtual console, in the form of extras (Metroid in Metroid Prime, NES games in Animal Crossing) dedicated budget releases (NES Classics on GBA), remakes/ports with extra features (eg SMB Deluxe on GBC, Mario World on GBA), Special releases (Zelda bonus disc) odd hardware add ons (Zelda remakes on Satellaview, NES games on e-reader).

And of course the original Wii Virtual Console itself, which had (still has, technically) something like 800 titles available in total from them and third parties on a large variety of legacy systems, which were transferrable to the Wii U and fully playable on it too. And finally the Mini consoles as a cheaper standalone bundle, and recently NES online as a subscription service bonus just started.

I'm guessing VC simply did not have good ROI in the end, and it's consumers who essentially closed it down. I don't have any proof but if it was a huge money spinner it would surely be alive and others would do it too. I don't think it's a coincidence Sony and Nintendo are essentially doing this the same way, market forces showed them both the direction.

The key in this thread isn't any of that though, it's the implicit (sometimes even explicit) next step people make, which is that they're at least pseudo-justified in pirating whatever they want because of that 'disappointment' you mention.

Oct 30, 2017
They can be disappointed. But if they're 'shocked' then they didn't do their research. In terms of backward compatibility, Nintendo did more than almost anyone for longer than anyone. Apart from the odd specific model, all their dedicated handhelds by them have always had at least one generation back full hardware backward compatibility, and their last two home consoles before the Switch also had full hardware backward compatibility.

Nintendo also re-released large numbers of previous generation games in many forms even well before the virtual console, in the form of extras (Metroid in Metroid Prime, NES games in Animal Crossing) dedicated budget releases (NES Classics on GBA), remakes/ports with extra features (eg SMB Deluxe on GBC, Mario World on GBA), Special releases (Zelda bonus disc) odd hardware add ons (Zelda remakes on Satellaview, NES games on e-reader).

And of course the original Wii Virtual Console itself, which had (still has, technically) something like 800 titles available in total from them and third parties on a large variety of legacy systems, which were transferrable to the Wii U and fully playable on it too. And finally the Mini consoles as a cheaper standalone bundle, and recently NES online as a subscription service bonus just started.

I'm guessing VC simply did not have good ROI in the end, and it's consumers who essentially closed it down. I don't have any proof but if it was a huge money spinner it would surely be alive and others would do it too. I don't think it's a coincidence Sony and Nintendo are essentially doing this the same way, market forces showed them both the direction.

The key in this thread isn't any of that though, it's the implicit (sometimes even explicit) next step people make, which is that they're at least pseudo-justified in pirating whatever they want because of that 'disappointment' you mention.

Yep I was a huge fan of 3DS as it was fully backwards compatible. Same.for GBA. I liked the Wii U let you play your Wii games and even let you upgrade them for Wii U mode for a small fee.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of their latest systems. We can like things about a company and still hate the latest offering. I'm not a fan of Nintnedos latest offering with the Switch. I was also a fan of Sony with PSP and Vita, hell even PS3 as I understood having backwards compatibility with PS2 is hard due to architecture but appreciated they let you download PS1 games and play PS1 disks. However PS4 was a dissapointment as it can't play my PS1 Classics. If Sony sort this out and PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 games and let you download PS1 I'll be a fan of them again. Same with Nintendo, I'm dissapointed with Switch, but if Switch 2 allows me to redownload my VC games all will be forgiven or if Switch 1 finally brings back Virtual Console. But at the moment they are not so I'll continue to be dissapointed with Nintendo's offering on the Switch that's all.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

The purchasing of NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, GBA, DS & Wii Games was all under the 'Virtual Console' Service. We've been told almost since the start of the Switch, that the Virtual Console Service won't exist on Switch. Nintendo told us last year.

So you can't expect Super Mario Bros from your Wii VC, Earthbound from your New 3DS VC or Resident Evil 4 & Metroid Prime Trilogy from your Wii U VC, to be instantly playable on your Switch. Because the Switch doesn't have the VC service.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Clearly all those people who download roms surely want to buy poorly emulated limited experiences that Nintendo sells - they are losing millions of dollars that they need to make up by financially ruining people. I am happy Nintendo is able to make its money back by destroying the ability to access gaming history.

Oct 30, 2017
The purchasing of NES, SNES, N64 & Wii Games was all under the 'Virtual Console' Service. We've been told almost since the start of the Switch, that the Virtual Console Service won't exist on Switch. Nintendo told us last year.

So you can't expect Super Mario Bros from your Wii VC, Earthbound from your New 3DS VC or Resident Evil 4 & Metroid Prime Trilogy from your Wii U VC, to be instantly playable on your Switch. Because the Switch doesn't have the VC service.

I know they told us that. Which I am dissapointed in. Initially before the Switch launched they were not clear though.

I'm dissapointed Nintnedo couldn't bring the VC service as homebrewers have shown they can get a SNES emulator running in a few days

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I know they told us that. Which I am dissapointed in. Initially before the Switch launched they were not clear though.

I'm dissapointed Nintnedo couldn't bring the VC service as homebrewers have shown they can get a SNES emulator running in a few days

The VC service is more than SNES games. Wii games and DS games are there too. And Neo Geo and PC Engine and Sega Game Gear.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for Nintendo and good for IP protection in general. I wish the latter was something that was important to more people, even when the companies are big.

Where are people getting the idea that a new console generation entitles them to a guaranteed port of their old product? If you want to keep playing old games, keep your old consoles and knock yourselves out.

Clearly all those people who download roms surely want to buy poorly emulated limited experiences that Nintendo sells - they are losing millions of dollars that they need to make up by financially ruining people. I am happy Nintendo is able to make its money back by destroying the ability to access gaming history.

They'll see little if any of that. It's more effective for backing off people who rip them off under the cover of "preservation." Whether they're selling a current-gen version of something or not, the general rule is that if you don't protect it today, it'll be harder to protect it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Here's a separate point.

Nintendo gave us the VC service and it's been around for 12 years now. We've had publishers like Capcom, Konami and Namco put their games on there.

But you know what's been severely lacking? Western third parties putting their games on there. Right now I can't think of any Western published games from NES, SNES or N64 on the VC service.

So while the story is about Nintendo, it seems to me that Western third party's do nothing at all to make their older games available to play today. Activision, Ubisoft, Electronic Arts etc.

Oct 30, 2017
Here's a separate point.

Nintendo gave us the VC service and it's been around for 12 years now. We've had publishers like Capcom, Konami and Namco put their games on there.

But you know what's been severely lacking? Western third parties putting their games on there. Right now I can't think of any Western published games from NES, SNES or N64 on the VC service.

So while the story is about Nintendo, it seems to me that Western third party's do nothing at all to make their older games available to play today. Activision, Ubisoft, Electronic Arts etc.

I agree but I honestly don't know many western publishers who were prominent on the SNES. Or there is some issue with IP such as EA now holding Star Wars IP rights. I think western games were more on PC which most games work on the latest PCs whether through steam or some other service.

Activision definitely could do a better job

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this goes a bit beyond preservation.

The truth is, stuff like this is going to keep happening until the back catalogs of old Nintendo consoles are more widely and easily available on modern hardware more people own. ROM sites are going to keep popping up, and don't even pretend the tools to dump ROMs are as widespread as what people use to rip DVDs (this is probably why people keep talking about ROMs rather than isos, more people probably just rip isos from their own discs).

I guess the 3DS still counts as a supported console, but the ROMs you can buy there are basically a drop in the bucket compared to the total library that's being left behind. That might not be what's legal, but it's probably what the market wants and what the market will get however it can, whether legitimately or illegitimately. Nintendo should have long ago responded to this the way Apple responded to Napster with iTunes. It wouldn't totally stop grey market emulation but I imagine it would stem it to a not-insignificant degree.

Original Wii Virtual Console in my opinion was poorly managed. The prices were out of whack, Nintendo's whole digital strategy back then was out of whack. The current system is better but with far too few games.

This is the real point right now. And Nintendo and Sony aren't just alone in gaming, they're alone in pretty much all of entertainment media.

And a decent comparison I read from someone else said this would be like Disney shutting down all of YouTube because a few of its full movies were found there among the mass of other content there it doesn't own.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like any other medium, people will pirate if pirating is more convenient.

Right now Nintendo's offerings for Retro gaming is paltry and garbage. So people will go to pirating. The Nintendo Online strategy is a good one, but it should be overpopulated with games by now.

Imagine if Disney's upcoming streaming service launched by adding 3-4 old Disney movies from the 1960s on once a month. Why this is fine here is beyond me.

Oct 30, 2017

Right now Nintendo's offerings for Retro gaming is paltry and garbage. So people will go to pirating. The Nintendo Online strategy is a good one, but it should be overpopulated with games by now.

Imagine if Disney's upcoming streaming service launched by adding 3-4 old Disney movies from the 1960s on once a month. Why this is fine here is beyond me.

Great answer

It's about convenience. Switch is Nintendo's latest offering. People want to play their already bought digital copy of SNES on their latest Nintendo device that uses the same Nintendo account so the games should be downloadable for free or transferable for a small fee.

Yes Nintendo allow people to purchase their SNES games on 3 different devices such as n3DS, Wii and Wii U. But those are old systems for many people and they don't want to pull out their old system to play these games. It's like if Netflix said well we don't support your latest Android box to be able to watch those shows please pull out your old Android box. It's all about convenience

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great answer

It's about convenience. Switch is Nintendo's latest offering. People want to play their already bought digital copy of SNES on their latest Nintendo device that uses the same Nintendo account so the games should be downloadable for free or transferable for a small fee.

Yes Nintendo allow people to purchase their SNES games on 3 different devices such as n3DS, Wii and Wii U. But those are old systems for many people and they don't want to pull out their old system to play these games. It's like if Netflix said well we don't support your latest Android box to be able to watch those shows please pull out your old Android box. It's all about convenience

People who pirate are still in the wrong, but people will pirate if the alternative is go without or jump though an absurd amount of hoops

I'm not saying that's right, but it is how it is

The best thing Nintendo could do to fight piracy would be to sell their old games, but they're using them to justify paying for online play instead, so naturally a lot of people will shrug and pirate the games they want to play

The real losers are Nintendo, who miss out on revenue, and those of us who abide by the law, who miss out on all the great games the pirates get to play

Shutting down ROM sites is a good step, but unless you address why people are going to these sites, more will keep on springing up

Oct 30, 2017
People who pirate are still in the wrong, but people will pirate if the alternative is go without or jump though an absurd amount of hoops

The best thing Nintendo could do to fight piracy would be to sell their old games, but they're using them to justify paying for online play instead, so naturally a lot of people will shrug and pirate the games they want to play

The real losers are Nintendo, who miss out on revenue, and those of us who abide by the law, who miss out on all the great games the pirates get to play

Shutting down ROM sites is a good step, but unless you address why people are going to these sites, more will keep on springing up

I used to pirate movies all the time and even music. But the convenience of Netflix and Spotify made me stop pirating.

Hell when I was a PC gamer I used to pirate some PC games but the convenience of Steam made me just buy games.

Yes pirating happens no matter what
Yes justifying pirating is also wrong

However Nintendo improving their ways of selling their old games will help Nintendo more in the end but it's a shame they can't come through with that.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I used to pirate movies all the time and even music. But the convenience of Netflix and Spotify made me stop pirating.

Hell when I was a PC gamer I used to pirate some PC games but the convenience of Steam made me just buy games.

However Nintendo improving their ways of selling their old games will help Nintendo more in the end but it's a shame they can't come through with that.

Yeah the last part is pretty much what I'm saying, shutting down sites is only half the battle, you need to do that while also offering a service that competes with the pirates, and right now Nintendo are playing whack a mole with pirate sites while doing nothing to actually reduce the availability of illegal ROMs, nor allowing the market for these ROMs to pay Nintendo for them

I'm pretty sure in 5 years time a SNES ROM for ALTTP will still be just a google search away, just as it is now, and as it was 5 years ago

What they're doing isn't going to work long term, so while there is a market for people who want to play ALTTP, why not sell them ALTTP on Switch?

Oct 27, 2017

• distribution method
  • time it is available
I mean if I'm being honest, I'm in the boat of downloading gimmick! instead of shelling out $900+ for an NES cart which nintendo will not see a cent of anyway.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

Aren't Nintendo's offerings the best in video games? Virtual Console has lasted 12 years and caters for games from 8 or 9 different retro systems including PC Engine, Megadrive and Wii. There is the Classic Mini's and now Nintendo Online on Switch. No other game company is doing anything close to this. Yet everyone criticises Nintendo saying that they aren't doing enough to make old games playable today.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Great answer

Yeah the last part is pretty much what I'm saying, shutting down sites is only half the battle, you need to do that while also offering a service that competes with the pirates, and right now Nintendo are playing whack a mole with pirate sites while doing nothing to actually reduce the availability of illegal ROMs, nor allowing the market for these ROMs to pay Nintendo for them

I'm pretty sure in 5 years time a SNES ROM for ALTTP will still be just a google search away, just as it is now, and as it was 5 years ago

What they're doing isn't going to work long term, so while there is a market for people who want to play ALTTP, why not sell them ALTTP on Switch?

All great posts. Stem and other PC services became more convinient than pirating PC games. iTunes and Spotify became more convenient than pirating music. Netflix and other streaming services became more convenient than pirating movies.

But pirating ROMs is still more convenient than the hoops you have to jump through to get to probably thousands of old console games. It may not be right and it may not be legal, but lots of people are still going to find the most convenient solution. ROM sites are going to keep popping up as long as this is the case. Nintendo may be within its right to shut down ROM sites like this, but it's not going to be the most effective solution to clamping down on piracy, and that's what matters.

Aren't Nintendo's offerings the best in video games? Virtual Console has lasted 12 years and caters for games from 8 or 9 different retro systems including PC Engine, Megadrive and Wii. There is the Classic Mini's and now Nintendo Online on Switch. No other game company is doing anything close to this. Yet everyone criticises Nintendo saying that they aren't doing enough to make old games playable today.

Even those retro offerings are pitiful compared to what would probably get a lot of people to stop pirating ROMs. The fact that other game companies don't come close is just a sign of how pitiful the whole the console game industry is when it comes to making old content available. I'd say Microsoft is doing the best job right now.

The games you can get on Switch and 3DS are still a drop in the bucket compared to the classics people want and are getting from ROM sites. The Wii U is no longer really supported, you can't add funds to buy games on the WIii store anymore (not to mention how obsolete that whole system is), and the Mini consoles only offer around 60 games total.

The ideal solution from Nintendo would probably be a library closer to the size of the original Wii virtual console, but offered through a more modern digital distribution system with more reasonable prices. That's not even getting into how much more aggressive PC digital distribution has been for years now. Really, the model for everyone else as far as gaming is concerned should be how Steam and GOG handle classic games.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's main issue is that the library they started with the Wii Virtual Console should have all moved onto the Wii U, while being cross compatible with their handhelds, and then continue on to the current Nintendo Online on Nintendo Switch.

If Nintendo Online had all those games that amassed in the Virtual Console for over a decade people would be much happier. Instead we started back at zero 12 years later.