Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
One of the more popular (and hardest) levels in Super Mario Maker 2, a goofy low-gravity stage called Pile of Poo: Kai-Zero G by noted streamer GrandPOObear, has been deleted and can no longer be played, its creator revealed this morning. Nintendo said the level was taken down for "inappropriate and/or harmful content," according to an email he shared.

"It contained no inappropriate words, pictures ect [sic]," said GrandPOObear on Twitter. "It contained no glitches."

Nintendo has not yet responded to my request for comment, but in an email sent to GrandPOObear, Nintendo called this a "final decision" and threatened that if "violations continue," it could restrict his ability to play online. It then thanked him for "creating an enjoyable online environment."

His maker name (and the level series his stage was published under) includes the word "poo," but GrandPOObear claims to have been told Nintendo has no problem with the word.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...pular-mario-maker-2-stage-without-explanation

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Seems to me like despite being told by someone that Nintendo had no problem with the word "poo", they clearly had a problem with the word "poo".

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They probably had a problem with it being a play on Pooh Bear, which would lead to China banning the shit out of it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Whatever GrandPooBear claims a Nintendo rep told him, I'm 99% sure it's the title. I'm sure enough people complained that it eventually reached someone with no knowledge of this person, and they removed the level.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Poo might be childish (I don't think it is in this case, it's part of the streamer's name), but it isn't offensive in the least. WTF does Nintendo think is an offensive word?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me like despite being told by someone that Nintendo had no problem with the word "poo", they clearly had a problem with the word "poo".
I would put my metaphorical chips on this being the explanation. Does strike me as odd that it appears to be only one stage out of multiple named "Pile of Poo" that has been affected, however.

Oct 27, 2017
Cue tons of stages being made with poo in them, not being deleted, and people realizing a singular moderator deleting a singular stage in one game doesn't represent all of Nintendo

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to guess someone wrote an outraged mail to Nintendo "My kid played a stage, and it said POO! how can you even sleep at night??" or something. Might even have been someone trying to troll GrandPOOBear. It's a shame, he's a great speed runner, but I can totally see how that would be an issue.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Poo.png

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PooBear has been making SMM levels forever, I doubt his name is the problem or they'd all be taken down.

Maybe some incompetent employee just did it without process?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo is just so bad at this. How are they still so bad at online related things, theyve had more than a literal decade to adapt.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm leaning towards trolls flagging it due to his popularity and Nintendo didn't have a system in place to actually vet these. If that's the case I hope they're able to restore it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I downloaded that level - I should check if it's still there.

Also what the fuck Nintendo? Why would you do that?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's the word Poo @Waypoint, that's the reason @Waypoint.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's handling of the Mario Maker community has been overall quite poor. They've patched out a bunch of things that the first game had that were harmless glitches that many people loved to build levels with while not fixing game breaking glitches. SMM2 also has some ridiculously broken glitches. They've taken out 100 Mario mode and replaced it with endless which most streamers agree is inferior. The ability to download other people's levels to see how they did certain tricks is also gone. And the new level recommendation system is broken. Overall the sequel has been pretty hostile to the community that made the first one flourish.

Here are some jank ass bugs that have been found within a couple weeks of release:

Jun 17, 2018
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the single player and I'm almost done with the castle but when I'm done, it's getting traded in towards Fire Emblem.

The multiplayer Is SO disappointing and barely functional online. Then to start deleting levels is just another notch against the game. I was really looking forward to MM2 but the way Nintendo are handling things is starting to piss me off.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Weird how they wiped up all of his levels from Mario Maker 1 and called it an "accident" and now this happens. Seems like they're purposefully doing it for some reason.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo destroyed a lot of the community of MM1 with this kind of stuff. Disappointing to see nothing has changed.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Poo isn't a dirty word. Any parent who is offended by that word is a fucking idiot.
I don't disagree. If their auto-mod system has a reporting threshold that takes down levels if it is exceeded (either percentage plays or a fixed number of reports), I can see that being the issue though. Especially on popular, high visibility levels like this one was.