Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
What happened to the Metroid Prime Remaster?

And the lack of an Advance Wars release date is really starting to piss me off. I mean it's almost insulting at this point to those of us who have per-ordered. Nintendo just can't keep ignoring the game. Either cancel it and refund everyone or give us a damn date.
I think the lack of Advance Wars was really the main reason why I was disappointed in this direct.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
What is going on with the Mario team?

Odyssey came out the same year as BoTW. We have know about the sequel for BoTW for awhile now but no idea if we are getting another Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.

I wouldn't mind another adventure with Cappy even though it would be really hard for them to top Odyssey.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Odyssey came out the same year as BoTW. We have know about the sequel for BoTW for awhile now but no idea if we are getting another Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.

I wouldn't mind another adventure with Cappy even though it would be really hard for them to top Odyssey.
Have to imagine they're holding it off for the new system.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

I fully expect Mario's next game, assuming it isn't another group of remasters/ports, is going to be the flagship launch title for the Switch 2 whenever it releases, which I'm assuming is during some part of 2024.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think the lack of Advance Wars was really the main reason why I was disappointed in this direct.
It was really disappointing to get flat out nothing. Not even an update. Not even a "spring 2023". Nothing.

The copies of the game are sitting in the back rooms at retailers collecting dust. They need to release the game, or at the very least give us an update on what the hell is going on.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
It does! However, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to drop another Mario game from one of Mario's many spinoff. For example, who knows, maybe they're working on a Mario & Luigi RPG game or maybe another Mario port in general to cover the gap between now and 2024 (which I'm just saying cause I don't see them launching a Mario game in 2023 with BOTW2/Pikmin 4 being the flagship games for 2023 and because I think that's when the Switch 2 will launch).
It was really disappointing to get flat out nothing. Not even an update. Not even a "spring 2023". Nothing.

The copies of the game are sitting in the back rooms at retailers collecting dust. They need to release the game, or at the very least give us an update on what the hell is going on.
We got an update post Direct from a reporter and uh, it's not looking good lol:

View: https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1569747010013503493?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1569747010013503493%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It does! However, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to drop another Mario game from one of Mario's many spinoff. For example, who knows, maybe they're working on a Mario & Luigi RPG game or maybe another Mario port in general to cover the gap between now and 2024 (which I'm just saying cause I don't see them launching a Mario game in 2023 with BOTW2/Pikmin 4 being the flagship games for 2023 and because I think that's when the Switch 2 will launch).
As I remember it I think they announced the Switch with a direct maybe around October/November and it launched in March. So maybe a fall 2023 release is still possible.

As long as they make it backwards compatible and the launch games cross play I think it will be a very smooth transition and they can do it whenever they have the software to support it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
As I remember it I think they announced the Switch with a direct maybe around October/November and it launched in March. So maybe a fall 2023 release is still possible.

As long as they make it backwards compatible and the launch games cross play I think it will be a very smooth transition and they can do it whenever they have the software to support it.
Disclaimer: It's Nintendo, they make weird decisions all of the time, we all can try to predict things but at the end of the day they operate on their schedule lmao

I don't think it adds up, I really don't and I've mentioned this in the Nintendo OT. From now to May 12, 2023, we have a STACKED line up on the Switch. There's absolutely no reason to announce a Switch 2 during this time. The sales will keep getting better, the Switch will keep selling from now then and on top of that, they've already made a statement regarding the state of the Switch itself:

Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle and the momentum going into this year is good. The Switch is ready to break a pattern of our past consoles that saw momentum weakening in their sixth year on the market and grow further.

I don't think this statement would've been said if this wasn't the genuine truth. On top of that, I think what's gonna happen or is at least more likely to happen is that Nintendo will make yet another limited edition SWOLED in 2023. Why? They've done it for Splatoon 3 and they've done it for Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. If you think they wouldn't do it to go all out on BOTW2 with a likely limited edition version of the game (artbook, steelcase etc) and a SWOLED model, I'd like to think you're wrong on this.

So, with this being the case, I think this absolutely writes off 2023 as a whole. I think we'll get at least one or two more big flagship titles for the Switch to finish the year that'll go along side Pikmin 4 in the latter half of the year along side some other non-flagship Switch games. This leaves up 2024 to be entirely open, gives them the ability to announce the Switch 2 early 2024 with a launch date of mid to Holiday Season of 2024. Could I see a late 2023 reveal and a Spring 2024 release? Sure, I guess but I could see them prioritizing finishing the full year of 2023 with a ton of games out so they can start 2024 with a clean sate and clean marketing run for the Switch 2

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

The original Switch was announced the same day as Red Dead Redemption. It got a showcase in December, and launched in March.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Wow, the insiders were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy off about this direct.

More credibility to the fact that these so claimed insiders don't know jack. Metroid prime remaster, Zelda remasters? LMFAO
Truth, talk all manner of shite so they do.
I love how this is the new mindset as if they didn't spend such a long time discussing "Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD are a lock" for the past like month, let alone the last year or so. Hell, Grubb said that Metroid Prime was a definite literally yesterday, lol. Sure, Grubb got the date right which we should give him credit for that much but when you're saying things like "this is a lock", "this is what I was told", "this is what I heard" or to be more specific "this Nintendo Direct will be a Zelda blowout" along side "this direct exists pretty much due to the Wind Waker/Twilight Princess ports" -- you're gonna get the slack you deserve if these announcements don't show up. Obviously I'm not condoning harassment or anything of that nature, but it'd be wrong to say people can't be upset or annoyed with insiders such as Grubb or Nate after they made such bold statements prior to this Direct lol.
Jeff and Nate made sure to split their "what we know" section from their "what we predict" section. Neither Zelda nor Metroid were in the "what we know" part.

Both of them were also right about the date of the Direct itself

So that's only 2 first party Nintendo games announced, one of which miyamoto said years ago was almost done.

D- direct for Nintendo games. If you're into Stardew valley but worse I guess it was a great direct.
Plus the Kirby one (though that's only a remaster).

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually very disappointed that golf is coming even later than they said in Switch Sports. It was already a long wait!

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Disclaimer: It's Nintendo, they make weird decisions all of the time, we all can try to predict things but at the end of the day they operate on their schedule lmao

I don't think it adds up, I really don't and I've mentioned this in the Nintendo OT. From now to May 12, 2023, we have a STACKED line up on the Switch. There's absolutely no reason to announce a Switch 2 during this time. The sales will keep getting better, the Switch will keep selling from now then and on top of that, they've already made a statement regarding the state of the Switch itself:

I don't think this statement would've been said if this wasn't the genuine truth. On top of that, I think what's gonna happen or is at least more likely to happen is that Nintendo will make yet another limited edition SWOLED in 2023. Why? They've done it for Splatoon 3 and they've done it for Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. If you think they wouldn't do it to go all out on BOTW2 with a likely limited edition version of the game (artbook, steelcase etc) and a SWOLED model, I'd like to think you're wrong on this.

So, with this being the case, I think this absolutely writes off 2023 as a whole. I think we'll get at least one or two more big flagship titles for the Switch to finish the year that'll go along side Pikmin 4 in the latter half of the year along side some other non-flagship Switch games. This leaves up 2024 to be entirely open, gives them the ability to announce the Switch 2 early 2024 with a launch date of mid to Holiday Season of 2024. Could I see a late 2023 reveal and a Spring 2024 release? Sure, I guess but I could see them prioritizing finishing the full year of 2023 with a ton of games out so they can start 2024 with a clean sate and clean marketing run for the Switch 2
Switch 2 was intended to be fully forwards and backwards compatible. An upgrade more or less. It doesn't matter when it releases. As long as the games keep flowing, people will want to upgrade. Especially if the games keep flowing, as Sony have shown twice already. They launched a successor in the same year as the biggest game on their predecessor twice already (The Last of Us 1 in 2013 and The Last of Us pt2 in 2020). That's a much more successful strategy than people losing interest in a system because of a dearth of games right before the successor is released (Wii to Wii U).
What Nintendo absolutely is not going to do is announce a successor right before the holidays and crater their sales, though.

So to me, all bets are still off. And the fact that their biggest game ever releases in May for some reason, points more to the Switch 2 releasing before that.

Jul 7, 2021
It's probably important to remind everyone that the director of Factorio is an absolute piece of garbage.

And not like "he said a dumb thing once" garbage. We're talking "racist who thinks 'statutory rape' is an SJW term" garbage.

www.resetera.com

Factorio Developer speaks out against cancel culture

Factorio recently released a developer blog about the game, referencing a programmer by the name of Uncle Bob. A reddit user kindly pointed out Uncle Bob is quite controversial. The developer responds: Link

E4NOdZCXwAgvir5

View: https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1406038185424134144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1406038185424134144%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Not interested in the game myself, but thanks nevertheless for bringing this to light. Unbelievable.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
They announce 4 farming games out of 2 dozens+ announcements and people are going about like it was all about farming.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Switch 2 was intended to be fully forwards and backwards compatible. An upgrade more or less. It doesn't matter when it releases. As long as the games keep flowing, people will want to upgrade. Especially if the games keep flowing, as Sony have shown twice already. They launched a successor in the same year as the biggest game on their predecessor twice already (The Last of Us 1 in 2013 and The Last of Us pt2 in 2020). That's a much more successful strategy than people losing interest in a system because of a dearth of games right before the successor is released (Wii to Wii U).
What Nintendo absolutely is not going to do is announce a successor right before the holidays and crater their sales, though.

So to me, all bets are still off. And the fact that their biggest game ever releases in May for some reason, points more to the Switch 2 releasing before that.

How could you possibly know what the Switch 2 was "intended" to be for?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Another option is that the new Switch is launching in 2023... but it is still part of the same platform, regardless of how powerful it is or how many exclusives (probably limited to third party "impossible port" tier games) it gets.

Like how Gameboy Color is still just a Gameboy and not a successor that GBA is.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Excited about Fire Emblem and TotK, but Era getting baited by Miyamoto was the biggest highlight by far.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
No wonder they didn't show this during summer. Probably a C- showcase. Zelda just about saved it. Nothing much of interest that I didn't already know. Bayo 3 looks visually improved since last time!

For me Metroid, Xenoblade Chronicles X or a crazy megaton like Eternal Darkness coming back would have risen it higher.

Last edited:

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021

I'm thinking they may be keeping something to go alongside the Mario movie, whenever that comes out.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty MEH direct. Outside of Zelda... I was hoping for a Metroid Prime announcement... how many years is that now since the announcement of that game?

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
How could you possibly know what the Switch 2 was "intended" to be for?
A twenty year deal with NVIDIA, Iwata's talks about the Switch being a family of devices, Miyamoto saying they were going to extend the lifetime of Switch long beyond previous consoles, Furukuwa saying they were looking to do away with the shift between joy and despair of console cycles, and I'm pretty sure Kimishima slipped in there somewhere that they were inspired by Apple's device business model.

Maybe that's a lot of smoke and no fire, but investment firms have stated pretty openly that they assume this to be the case, and no Nintendo president felt the need to correct that.

It even fits with Iwata's blue ocean strategy, because unlike the Wii that was quickly copied by Sony and Microsoft, five years on Nintendo is still completely in its blue ocean for portable hybrid systems.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017

the mario team is one of nintendo's premier developers, top of the entire industry. they probably have a massive game in development right now that is going to launch with the switch 2. don't forget that they released bowser's fury in 2021, so it hasn't really been that long.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
may be forgetting something but i think zelda and pikmin were the only games past like february time so 2023 still has a lot of filling to do. Id imagine itll be same as last year and youll get a big direct in Jan/Feb time to lay out what the rest of the year up to around september 2023 will look like.

Dec 11, 2017
may be forgetting something but i think zelda and pikmin were the only games past like february time so 2023 still has a lot of filling to do. Id imagine itll be same as last year and youll get a big direct in Jan/Feb time to lay out what the rest of the year up to around september 2023 will look like.

Donkey Kong and Mario, surely.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Another option is that the new Switch is launching in 2023... but it is still part of the same platform, regardless of how powerful it is or how many exclusives (probably limited to third party "impossible port" tier games) it gets.

Like how Gameboy Color is still just a Gameboy and not a successor that GBA is.
This actually makes a lot of sense to be honest. All people really want is a powerful Switch, it's not like they need to move away from what they're doing with their games or to create an entirely new OS from the ground up. Everything gets the job done, it's just that we want a better performance. So for them to just do that and approach the angle of keeping the same platform but making something powerful could absolutely 100% work

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This actually makes a lot of sense to be honest. All people really want is a powerful Switch, it's not like they need to move away from what they're doing with their games or to create an entirely new OS from the ground up. Everything gets the job done, it's just that we want a better performance. So for them to just do that and approach the angle of keeping the same platform but making something powerful could absolutely 100% work

Yeah I wouldn't mind that approach aswell to be honest, we don't need a new Switch just more horsepower and wasn't there a mention that some Nintendo higher-ups have been eying the "Apple" release model? Anything from the iPhone 8 to the iPhone 14 runs the same software, the only difference is how well it runs.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, been saying Switch 2 will probably be a Gameboy Color situation for a while. It's the next gen but also not

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, what? No, that's not how bingo is played. Any time you get a full line, whether that be vertical, horizontal, or diagonal, it's a bingo. That's why the centre space is often a free space, because otherwise 4 different results depend on you getting that square guess right.

Only if you're playing for blackout. Bingo otherwise is getting a whole row, column, or diagonal.

What kind of messed up bingo do you play?

Holy shit guys. all these quotes make go down a deep hole of bingo. So apparently there are two types of bingo: US and UK. In the US bingo (75 ball) indeed you win by making a row, column or diagonal. In the UK bingo (90 ball) you have to fill in your card.

US Bingo
UK Bingo

Being from the EU I've only ever experienced UK bingo, I though that was the only variant that existed. I stand corrected!

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They announce 4 farming games out of 2 dozens+ announcements and people are going about like it was all about farming.

They finally get to know what it feels like when I try to sit through major events like the The Game Awards, which feature several hours of endless shootbang and faux online chatter trying too hard to sound cool until I get tired of it and stop watching. So glad to see some farm sims flourishing.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Well we found out why Nintendo skipped June this year - they really had nothing for 2022 to show, and still didn't really for the remainder of 2022 either (Pokemon and another Mario Kart wave will carry them just fine, with a bit of Bayonetta sprinkled in). I think COVID is still hitting them hard and it will be awhile yet until a new normal.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well we found out why Nintendo skipped June this year - they really had nothing for 2022 to show, and still didn't really for the remainder of 2022 either (Pokemon and another Mario Kart wave will carry them just fine, with a bit of Bayonetta sprinkled in). I think COVID is still hitting them hard and it will be awhile yet until a new normal.
That's just Q4. Q3 had two major heavy hitters in Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
2022 is one of the most packed years on Switch

Maybe in terms of announcements for 2022, since they kinda unveiled most of the year in February and Pokemon followed not long after.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Splatoon 3, Mario Rabbids, Bayonetta 3, Pokemon SV is a great lineup for the end of the year.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo is worried about their output for the rest of the year. If they wanted to they could've moved Fire Emblem into this year pretty easily.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm disappointed Wind Waker didn't get announced for Switch. Would really love to have a port of it on the system. And F-Zero GX please if you are listening, Nintendo.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
the mario team is one of nintendo's premier developers, top of the entire industry. they probably have a massive game in development right now that is going to launch with the switch 2. don't forget that they released bowser's fury in 2021, so it hasn't really been that long.
By Bowser's Fury, I assume you mean the new content, which was developed by NST.

I don't know why everyone is assuming they're waiting for Switch 2 when the more logical answer is that Nintendo likely has a lot of stuff from different teams to take advantage of the Mario movie.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
By Bowser's Fury, I assume you mean the new content, which was developed by NST.

I don't know why everyone is assuming they're waiting for Switch 2 when the more logical answer is that Nintendo likely has a lot of stuff from different teams to take advantage of the Mario movie.
LOL if that Chris Pratt movie is holding up Mario games in any capacity, I'll be amused

And annoyed, but mostly amused.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say, if anything, Nintendo is holding back titles because they see a filed too packed with releases. I don't doubt that they have the Metroid and Zelda stuff in their holster for when they need or want to release it,

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018

Splatoon just had the best Switch (and video game) opening weekend in Japan ever.

I think they knew they were fine in 2022. COVID is still hitting everyone hard, but I think this is more of a case of Splatoon and Pokemon being heavy hitters this year and people still aren't realizing that how huge Splatoon is and are expecting different stuff.

The schedule is too packed for other huge stuff. They don't need them this year.