• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
to be fair, even if you didn't skip Wii U there's only one game on this new line up that's a Wii U port, Pikmin 3, I imagine Prime Tilogy will be more like a remaster. last year had like 5 Wii U ports for comparison(Bayo 1/2, DK, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors) and like 6 original games(Kirby, Octopath, Tennis, Mario Party, Pokemon, Smash). This year, assuming what King Zell said is correct, that would be 2 Wii U ports(NSMBU, Pikmin), 1 Wii port(Metroid), and 10 original games(Ex Machina, Fire Emblem, AC, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, Marvel UA3, Mario Maker 2, Town, Zelda, Pokemon). side by side this year just looks way stronger to me, regardless if you owned a Wii U or PS4.

True.

On the subject of the Wii port, have we had any other Wii ports this gen? I certainly hope they've done work on making it look good.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
True.

On the subject of the Wii port, have we had any other Wii ports this gen? I certainly hope they've done work on making it look good.
Nope no wii ports yet, while the Prime Trilogy does hold up better in higher resolutions than most games from that time, it would still be a real shame if they literally just upped the resolution, updated the controls, and released it. Hopefully they at least update the textures.

EDIT: actually I guess the HD Zelda games were Gamecube and Wii ports, hopefully they handle Metroid in a similar fashion as I thought those were pretty good.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if the MPT is actually a high budget remaster, almost like a remake and this was what Retro was doing.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Nope no wii ports yet, while the Prime Trilogy does hold up better in higher resolutions than most games from that time, it would still be a real shame if they literally just upped the resolution, updated the controls, and released it. Hopefully they at least update the textures.

EDIT: actually I guess the HD Zelda games were Gamecube and Wii ports, hopefully they handle Metroid in a similar fashion as I thought those were pretty good.
Go Vacation was a Wii game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I've been busy and haven't been following this thread to much, how do we know it's the 13th?
King Zell said so (and that date seems to be backed up by others). If you need a summary of the other information dropped today, here you go:
Zell (with some assistance from Emily and Nate) went crazy and dropped a nuke in this thread.
  • Direct next week (13th).
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Maker 2, Pikmin 3 (port) and BoxBoy! are happening (and the former will possibly be in the Direct).
  • Doubled down on 2D Zelda existing and releasing this year.
  • Pikmin 4 restarted development at some point, but it still exists.
  • Third-Party support will improve this year; especially Japanese stuff. Some unpredictable surprises as well.
    • Nate specifically mentioned that Kingdom Hearts was being tested/considered. Not 3 though.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

The main reason I'm actually concerned is cause it's three games. I hope they went all in on the remaster, but it's a pretty big ask.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is lively in the weekend, eh? Good to see. The weekend preceding a supposed direct week is the hardest.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also so the Americans are on the same page...the direct would be announced at 9 am Eastern, not 10 am Eastern. It's because we're not in Daylight Savings Time and because of that the announcement would be at 9 am Eastern.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get some Bayonetta 3 news. Metroid Prime trilogy itself would make it a great direct for me though :)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to show some appreciation to Boxboy since it appears to be coming. I liked all 3 games. They all gave a really good challenge.

I wonder if this will be Boxboy 4 coming to Switch or a collection of the first 3?

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Also so the Americans are on the same page...the direct would be announced at 9 am Eastern, not 10 am Eastern. It's because we're not in Daylight Savings Time and because of that the announcement would be at 9 am Eastern.

You're right. It would be announcement at 9AM EST/6AM PST. Just to add to that, last March the direct was at 5PM/2PM instead of 6PM/3PM.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Check the scenario:

The Direct opens with a voice over:

"Wow! It's been a long time since the last Direct. Kept you waiting, huh?"

Internet explodes.

MGSV surprise release.

Boom. History is made.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Check the scenario:

The Direct opens with a voice over:

"Wow! It's been a long time since the last Direct. Kept you waiting, huh?"

Internet explodes.

MGSV surprise release.

Boom. History is made.
I'd rather have a new Metal Gear Solid collection (with Twin Snakes, 2, 3 and Peace Walker at the very least) come to the Switch and other platforms, but V could easily come along as well.

inb4 it's a Survive port and nobody wins.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Can someone help me pin down the origins of the Mariah Carey shenanigans whenever a Direct is imminent? Where did it come from? ... Why?

Oct 25, 2017
Okay yea that's right !
tumblr_m1vopjALsj1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they rarely do Directs on Wednesday for Japan which is Tuesday for America.

It's most likely Wednesday for America/Thursday Japan.

I guess they could do a direct Wednesday morning in America, just before Wednesday ends for Japan.

Sure, you're probably right about that. I was just answering about that we know yet based on inside info rather than speculation.

Feb 8, 2019
Except for Pokemon, none of the announced or rumored games excite me. I still own and play my older consoles on a regular basis, so I have no interest in purchasing ports of games I already own. Moreover, remasters are often inferior to their original counterparts.

As for Super Mario Maker 2, I am ambivalent. On the one hand, I have been enjoying YouTube playthroughs of the more devious user-created levels, so that's cool. But I have no interest in playing them myself nor in making my own. I also think that Nintendo would better serve the series by creating a new 2D Super Mario that recaptures the creative spirit of older titles - these newer games look and feel mechanical. The Mushroom Kingdom and the lands Mario zips through need to be interesting again.

What I want out of Nintendo are more memorable adventures. From what has been revealed about their announcements so far, I think I will be disappointed.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except for Pokemon, none of the announced or rumored games excite me. I still own and play my older consoles on a regular basis, so I have no interest in purchasing ports of games I already own. Moreover, remasters are often inferior to their original counterparts.

As for Super Mario Maker 2, I am ambivalent. On the one hand, I have been enjoying YouTube playthroughs of the more devious user-created levels, so that's cool. But I have no interest in playing them myself nor in making my own. I also think that Nintendo would better serve the series by creating a new 2D Super Mario that recaptures the creative spirit of older titles - these newer games look and feel mechanical. The Mushroom Kingdom and the lands Mario zips through need to be interesting again.

What I want out of Nintendo are more memorable adventures. From what has been revealed about their announcements so far, I think I will be disappointed.

I feel pretty confident that Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, 2D Zelda, new Monolith IP, Bayonetta 3, and Platinum/Kamiya game will be "memorable adventures", but I guess we'll see.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i hope we have more details on bayonetta 3, like how it's restarting development from scratch with retro studios.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I just want the release date for Demon x Machina confirmed.
With no Monhun in sight, I'm all for portable coop hunting game fighting giant robots.

Feb 8, 2019
I feel pretty confident that Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, 2D Zelda, new Monolith IP, Bayonetta 3, and Platinum/Kamiya game will be "memorable adventures", but I guess we'll see.

I suppose I should have added "new memorable adventures." I am sure they will be fine, but they are sequels to series that we have seen in the recent past. It is hard to be excited over them.

Feb 9, 2019
I can't think of anything that could be announced that will suprise me, 2017 was amazing, 2018 had Smash and honestly I don't know what 2019 could have, that could beat 2018 let alone 2017.

I mean switch has a better selection of games in its first two years than the Wii U did in its whole life.

I'd be happy with remasters and actual good (not NES) games on the subscription service. But having a switch as a port machine actually really appeals to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.