Status
Not open for further replies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yep, this is another reason I think Prime 4 will be a Switch 2 game. There's no way Nintendo funds two wildly different versions of the same game, being this game Metroid. A small update can fell underwhelming considering that the Metroid games look more detailed and realistic than most Nintendo games. If Prime 4 is ready soon, it will be a Switch game, if not, they will delay it to be a Switch 2 launch window title.

It won't compare of course, but it's really different to release a game that looks more like, Horizon 1 (in case the new system has a power similar to a base Ps4), which means gaining portability at the cost of a generation of graphics disparity, which is more or less what the Switch offers now, than a game that looks 2 generations older.

Nintendo is doing really well right now, their games sell a lot of most players are not concerned about the system being weaker, but some games like Metroid clearly benefit more from looking as good as possible, and soon the Switch will be far less powerful than the other systems, making the contrast even bigger.
If Metroid needs that when no other Nintendo IP seems to need it, they have to rethink Metroid. Because the IP has problems.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, take a game like Luigi's Mansion 3 and it is hard to envision how it could look better. Artstyle goes a long way.

Oct 26, 2017
If Metroid needs that when no other Nintendo IP seems to need it, they have to rethink Metroid. Because the IP has problems.

They have not made an original Metroid game in literally a decade which is kind of having given up on the series already. They attempted to make Metroid more cinematic and that failed pretty badly, they attempted to make Metroid like a multiplayer shooter and that failed catastrophically.

We'll see if they continue the 3D series at all after Prime 4. Immersive sims are fairly unpopular and not cheap to make. Maybe the new one will be more like Doom but with more of a multiplayer focus. In that case, the game's sales obviously won't be affected that much by graphics (as multiplayer shooter fans don't care about visuals much). We will see where this series goes.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Turn Metroid Prime into a survival horror a la Alien: Isolation. I'd be interested to see what could be done there.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
More than need it, it will benefit from it a lot, mostly because of the artistic direction of the series. As I said before, Prime 1 and 2 were good looking games at the time, and lots of other immersive FPS adventures have been released since then.

And yeah, the IP has problems, but are the same problems F-Zero has: Nintendo tends to forget it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Frankly, take a game like Luigi's Mansion 3 and it is hard to envision how it could look better. Artstyle goes a long way.
Exactly, and so far 3D Metroid games (the Prime games, forget about Other M) have been "realistic" and more detailed than most Nintendo games. BotW and Mario are cartoonish, LM3 is also cartoonish. Unless they decide to use something stilized for MP4, it won't have the impact the first game had.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
More than need it, it will benefit from it a lot, mostly because of the artistic direction of the series. As I said before, Prime 1 and 2 were good looking games at the time, and lots of other immersive FPS adventures have been released since then.

And yeah, the IP has problems, but are the same problems F-Zero has: Nintendo tends to forget it.
I see it the other way around, if Nintendo does not do more F-Zero is because obviously the IP has problems to be profitable. Just as Metroid.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 won't be a Switch 2 game. It'll be a Switch game. We're only halfway through the Switch. By holiday 2022, Retro would've had over 3.5-4 years on it. That's more than enough time to complete it. The studio has also grown a lot in terms of developers.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
They have not made an original Metroid game in literally a decade which is kind of having given up on the series already. They attempted to make Metroid more cinematic and that failed pretty badly, they attempted to make Metroid like a multiplayer shooter and that failed catastrophically.

We'll see if they continue the 3D series at all after Prime 4. Immersive sims are fairly unpopular and not cheap to make. Maybe the new one will be more like Doom but with more of a multiplayer focus. In that case, the game's sales obviously won't be affected that much by graphics (as multiplayer shooter fans don't care about visuals much). We will see where this series goes.
Do we know if Samus Returns ever even hit 1M?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I see it the other way around, if Nintendo does not do more F-Zero is because obviously the IP has problems to be profitable. Just as Metroid.
Of course, this is the reason Nintendo tends to forget it. At least with Metroid they try something from time to time. But in the case of Metroid I think there is a lot to gain if they "risk" some money in software development, but well, we can say the same about a lot of Nintendo franchises.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Metroid Prime 4 won't be a Switch 2 game. It'll be a Switch game. We're only halfway through the Switch. By holiday 2022, Retro would've had over 3.5-4 years on it. That's more than enough time to complete it. The studio has also grown a lot in terms of developers.

Early 2023 is a safe bet imo, it'll face some kind of issue at some point.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Of course, this is the reason Nintendo tends to forget it. At least with Metroid they try something from time to time. But in the case of Metroid I think there is a lot to gain if they "risk" some money in software development, but well, we can say the same about a lot of Nintendo franchises.
Ah, but then we are not defining "forget" the same.

F-Zero I imagine it like that in a brainstorming session someone says
-What if we make a new F-Zero?
-Do you have any new ideas to make it sell well?
-No.
-So then.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Metroid Prime 2 is the best and it's because of the dark world. I loved going back and forth. I enjoyed the mechanics of doing one thing on one side can change the other side. I loved how dark, gloomy and punishing the dark world was. I enjoyed traversing through Prime 2 more than 1 and wayyyy more than Prime 3. Moving Samus's ship around in 3 I didn't like.

Prime 2 has the best bosses and it refined mechanics from 1.
In my Opinion Metroid Prime 2 is a case of having the highest highs and the lowest lows.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Switch 2's biggest jump will be a massive CPU jump and a storage solution that goes over 1 GB/s. That's gameplay innovation more than visual differences. LM4 on Switch 2 can look clearly better than LM3 of course, but the biggest jump in games releasing on Switch 2 will be in open world/sandbox games, allowing for much denser worlds in Zelda and epic platforming sections through varied landscapes in 3D Mario. A slow-paced game like LM4 wouldn't benefit as much, especially considering it already looks very impressive thanks to its art style.

That said, MP4 releasing like a year before Switch 2 releases shouldn't be a problem imo. They will build it for Switch 1, and then maybe work in some improvements as a late Switch 2 port (kind of how TLOU 1 got ported to PS4) if the game sells big enough numbers to warrant such improvements. It'll take some work, but it's probably not unjustifiable if the game is a commercial (and critical) success already.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I was just thinking that, unless we get a serious pleasant surprise from the Splatoon or Mario Kart teams, there are no notable MP games en route to Switch. BotW2, NMH3, Pikmin V, Bayonetta 3, MP4, Pokemon Snap are all SP, whereas Pokemon Unite is F2P, the Switch's biggest MP game (Fortnite) is already also F2P.

Wouldn't be shocked if NSO collapses in subscriptions next year, what are people paying for at this point? I went to play SMW last week but I realised I'd already completed it on the app (lol) so I didn't bother. Online N64 games could save it, but everyone here is adamant that it wont happen.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Due to the whole Origami King ordeal, or should I say, origamideal (im sorry) i've been thinking about Mario RPGs recently and the roots of the franchise. One of the things I noticed was that we still haven't gotten SMRPG on NSO yet. Despite finally getting Donkey Kong Country, one of the last games from the SNES classic that was still missing, SMRPG remains a no show?

even Mr. Grubby hands has been vocal about it

That said, I wonder what's going on? Tansut If you can, would you be able to shed any light on the situation? Could there be anything we can hope for?

Is Mario RPG doomed to remain in our hearts and memories while Nintendo showers us with confetti, coins, and absolutely no experience points at all? (Aww cmon, you know that was clever, no? Ahh, i'll shut up.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I was just thinking that, unless we get a serious pleasant surprise from the Splatoon or Mario Kart teams, there are no notable MP games en route to Switch. BotW2, NMH3, Pikmin V, Bayonetta 3, MP4, Pokemon Snap are all SP, whereas Pokemon Unite is F2P, the Switch's biggest MP game (Fortnite) is already also F2P.

Wouldn't be shocked if NSO collapses in subscriptions next year, what are people paying for at this point? I went to play SMW last week but I realised I'd already completed it on the app (lol) so I didn't bother. Online N64 games could save it, but everyone here is adamant that it wont happen.
They seem to have a good thing going with the big H1 release that has a notable online component (Mario Maker in 2019, Animal Crossing this year) and the new retro console launch in H2 (SNES last year, probably Game Boy this year) to get those resubs; wouldn't be surprised if that continued.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
They seem to have a good thing going with the big H1 release that has a notable online component (Mario Maker in 2019, Animal Crossing this year) and the new retro console launch in H2 (SNES last year, probably Game Boy this year) to get those resubs; wouldn't be surprised if that continued.

Well, combine the established miracles list (most likely of which is an EPD FPS) with the absence of the Splatoon team, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Nate's first-party miracle is this Autumn.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018

The evergreen titles are enough. Plus, there seems to be a Monster Hunter game on the way.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Immersion has a lot to do with art design, sound design and story telling. I wouldn't worry about it. I think Super Metroid is one of the most immersive games even to this day and it runs on SNES hardware.

They won't make Prime 4 exclusive for a next generation Switch and forget about a potential 100M userbase by then...

sure but that doesn't preclude a cross gen situation like BotW where it barely ran on WiiU but was good on Switch.

Keep in mind games like Doom Eternal and The Witcher 3 can run on a base Switch.

we could get a situation where MP4 is 360p 20FPS portable on a Base Switch and 720p/60 + Ray Tracing on The Successor

Personally I doubt that will be the case given the sales history of the Metroid series wouldn't warrant a Witcher 3 / Doom Eternal type budget but who knows

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, my wishes for the July Direct:

-Bayonetta 3 update (gameplay+story trailer with a possible 2020 release date)
-Breath of the Wild 2 (new trailer, 2021 release date)
-Metroid Prime Trilogy + Metroid 2D, both 2021

My realistic wishes:

-Mario Collection HD (hopefully both Galaxy games since I only tried them on Wii)
-Mario World 3D Deluxe
-Pikmin 3 Extended

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Due to the whole Origami King ordeal, or should I say, origamideal (im sorry) i've been thinking about Mario RPGs recently and the roots of the franchise. One of the things I noticed was that we still haven't gotten SMRPG on NSO yet. Despite finally getting Donkey Kong Country, one of the last games from the SNES classic that was still missing, SMRPG remains a no show?

even Mr. Grubby hands has been vocal about it

That said, I wonder what's going on? Tansut If you can, would you be able to shed any light on the situation? Could there be anything we can hope for?

Is Mario RPG doomed to remain in our hearts and memories while Nintendo showers us with confetti, coins, and absolutely no experience points at all? (Aww cmon, you know that was clever, no? Ahh, i'll shut up.)

They're probably just holding out for later releases.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I want the pikmin battle royale now that i've heard about it in the devolver direct. I don't knwo how it would work but I want it to be real

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
I know I'm late but Prime 2 easily strikes me as the worst, especially if you're playing the Trilogy.

The story is extremely uninteresting (they are chozo wannabe), and the dark world is visually boring and frustrating. Also, the key hunt.

But hey, my favorite is Prime 3.
I really hope MP4 brings back the environmental diversity from MP1.
I loved all of them but after MP2 (and frankly more so after MP3) the environments feel too samey and just dark/brownish/gritty (except for the cloud area ofc!).

Oct 25, 2017

August: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
September: Nintendo x Capcom, Bravely Default 2
October: Eternal Darkness Remastered, Super Mario 3D Allstars
November: Wave Race
December: No More Heroes 3

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
How would you feel if Nintendo made an original 2D game in the Metroid universe but with a somwwhat unattached story and a whole new (different) character with other powerups and tools.
They could try a different artstyle, new gameplay mechanics and generally some fresh ideas, while still keeping the core elements of mystery, ambience and discovery that I love about the series.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
How would you feel if Nintendo made an original 2D game in the Metroid universe but with a somwwhat unattached story and a whole new (different) character with other powerups and tools.
They could try a different artstyle, new gameplay mechanics and generally some fresh ideas, while still keeping the core elements of mystery, ambience and discovery that I love about the series.
As long as is a woman, I would be ok. If it is a woman and also PoC, even better.

I have 0 attachment to Samus as a character.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
So, can I skip Ubi event, being interest only in possible switch intetesting concepts?

Ubi announcements most likely will be at Direct, not in this presentation.

Check the Namco Anime games steam instead on July 23rd, there definitely will be some surprise Switch reveals there (fingers crossed for Kakarot port). Namco Anime games almost never get featured in Directs (Fighter Z is the only exception).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If there's indeed a direct soon, I can't imagine Nintendo not showing botw2 or several high profile first party games (like they did in Feb 2019). They really haven't shown anything in months beside relatively small titles, the last 2 directs were quite bad (the September 2019 and the April mini) and it's been 13 months since we last heard of the new Zelda. Even though Nintendo often makes strange decisions, they probably want to generate excitement with their console, even more so now when it's obvious that mobile won't be as lucrative as they hoped. I don't believe that a direct with old ass Mario games which everyone and their mom already played, along with a few last gen third party ports will be enough, so I'm betting on something bigger this time. And if there's nothing bigger, then 2020 is really poised to suck (from a Nintendo game perspective).

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Turn Metroid Prime into a survival horror a la Alien: Isolation. I'd be interested to see what could be done there.
Unrelated at hell but funny you mention Alien Isolation, because I beat it last night forthe first time. I honestly think that game is a masterpiece of simple but difficult to master stealth mechanics and sound design. As a big fan of Alien and Aliens, I loved it so much. So after the ending I immediately looked to see if a sequel was being planned and immediately got disappointed when it apparentally didn't sell well and the design team had pretty much all left the studio. What is it with spooky space games like this and Metroid being absolutely god tier but underperforming sales wise? Makes me slightly sad lol.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The rest of Nintendo's 2020

July: Paper Mario
August: Nothing
September: Pikmin 3 Replucked
October: Metroid Prime Trilogy
November: Mario Collection
December: Nothing

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo didn't go this long without a General Direct to not show some huge game or 2. Let's say the Mario remasters are the "big" holiday game(s), I definitely expect to see something brand new on the bigger side shown or revealed. Its been over a year since a general direct and the big ones are usually early in the year or E3.

Whatever was going to be shown at E3 I think some will show up here, even if they have to put a general "2021" release for now. It's ok. They can get the full release date at another time. It happens all the time. I don't think Covid will scare Nintendo, especially if there's a big game or 2 coming by the end of the fiscal year (March 2021).

All these other companies are giving presentations. Nintendo should get some excitement for next year, when Sony and Microsoft are really competing against them.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Unrelated at hell but funny you mention Alien Isolation, because I beat it last night forthe first time. I honestly think that game is a masterpiece of simple but difficult to master stealth mechanics and sound design. As a big fan of Alien and Aliens, I loved it so much. So after the ending I immediately looked to see if a sequel was being planned and immediately got disappointed when it apparentally didn't sell well and the design team had pretty much all left the studio. What is it with spooky space games like this and Metroid being absolutely god tier but underperforming sales wise? Makes me slightly sad lol.
Survival horror is a more difficult genre to make successful with high-budget games than action. If you are not Resident Evil, it is incredibly complicated. It is not very different from cinema.

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Pm
Survival horror is a more difficult genre to make successful with high-budget games than action. If you are not Resident Evil, it is incredibly complicated. It is not very different from cinema.
Yeah, that's definitely what it is. But the saddest part is, that's probably my favorite aspect of it. I love how vulnerable you feel in Alien. It feels ao grounded in reality instead of being something arcady where you're just wasting everything in your path. The amount of strategy involved with out maneuvering the bad guys reminds me of the strategies you have to pick from when fighting enemies in Zelda Breath of the Wild. You've got some many options; and successfully executing a well thought out plan makes you feel like a bad ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.