When do you think the next General Direct will be?

• I still have a fool's hope: August

Votes: 434 31.2%
  • I'm realistic and boring: September

Votes: 491 35.2%
  • I don't like to commit to things: Anytime in 2020

Votes: 157 11.3%
  • I've been hurt too many times: 2021 Onwards

Votes: 311 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I don't agree it's unreasonable to be disappointed about this. Even Nate seems baffled by this direct.

This year sucks so i was really looking forward to this direct. I definitely don't blame the insiders though, they were completely right about there being a direct

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
You forgot the epic one: Prime Trilogy
What are you talking about, CLEARLY this one's been ready since 2017, Nintendo are just waiting to release it until nobody cares about Metroid anymore and Prime 4 is cancelled.

Why than they used focus on first place if fact is that every time before we had more than what was on focus?

Again, in any case, I expecting at least one new 3rd party announcement, it doesnt has sense to me to have even Mini Direct to talk only about already announced games without not single new announcement.

They used "focus" because they don't want people overhyping what is essentially a highlight reel of games we already know are going to come, man. I'm sorry, but new announcements really aren't likely today.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
C'mon, lets not resort to "This thread hit a new low" nonsense just because people told you not to expect an announcement because Nintendo said it was going to be announced games in the Direct. You can believe what you want, but people are going to correct you when there's something blatantly contradicting your belief.

No its not nonsense and there is no need for calling my post nonsense,
people here keep ignoring fact that every time when Nintendo used term "focus" showed mote than what is focus.

At end people can whatever they want, despite facts, Nintendo wording and personal expectations.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Why than they use focus on first place if fact is that every time before we had more than what was on focus?

Again, in any case, I expecting at least one new 3rd party announcement, it doesnt has sense to me to have even Mini Direct to talk only about already announced games without not single new announcement.
You can expect what you want.
Please just don't setup yourself for disappointment because you read the tweet wrong.
Nintendo might just throw a curveball, but I dont expect any more than it maybe ending with an announced game we didn't hear much about like Bayonetta 3 or SMT5 even though I thonk both of those are extremely unlikely.
It's just that they clearly went out of their way to word the tweet to set low expectations.
I would not expect more than they wrote they would show.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that there couldn't be interesting news (Bayonetta, Silksong, what have you), but I cannot see the enthusiasm hit that Nintendo are going to take from this being worth it.

It's not just leaks raising expectations, either- the cupboard is barren for the foreseeable future, and any announcement which doesn't address that is a really stupid idea.
He's not entirely wrong. Most people don't even know who's leading Nintendo right now. Under Iwata you had regularly Nintendo directs and Iwata asks.
If the games are coming and we're told what they are, no one gives a shit about who's leading the company outside of fanboys looking to turn businesses into cults of personality.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
We don't know that those are real, actually. As of right now, they're still rumoured. They might end up exactly like Starfox Grand Prix. Don't do that to yourself.
Star fox GP had a lot less going for it compared to the Mario Collection. Being GP never had a true confirmation of it supposedly being real if you actually go back and read the original reports (especially Schreier's). Whereas Mario has an anniversary to celebrate and other merchandise are being released to celebrate it as well

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing this announcement this morning gave me an anxiety attack.

I know it sounds like I'm overreacting, but the speculation about the direct the last 2 weeks gave me something to look forward to and I was really excited to find out about new first party titles. Not only are they not showing ANY first party games, but only ALREADY ANNOUNCED third party titles, so I can't look forward to even one new announcement.

I am just sad and disappointed. I legit feel depressed because there is nothing to look forward to anymore :(

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
This direct can be redeemed for me if it contains a Silksong release date, but man...

My default gaming platform switched back to PC so slowly I didn't even notice. I really need to get a new graphics card.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

I know it sounds like I'm overreacting, but the speculation about the direct the last 2 weeks gave me something to look forward to and I was really excited to find out about new first party titles. Not only are they not showing ANY first party games, but only ALREADY ANNOUNCED third party titles, so I can't look forward to even one new announcement.

I am just sad and disappointed. I legit feel depressed because there is nothing to look forward to anymore :(
Yeah it sucks, but just remember that we were not expecting a Direct before September anyway, and that Captain Tsubasa has told us he knew Nintendo planned to do their big Direct at the end of summer. It'll soon be there, less than 2 months, hold on !

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

I would suggest to take a break from all of this if this is the case for you, it doesn't seems worth it.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Just for reminder, January 2018. Mini Direct, 14 min long

0:19 - The World Ends with You -Final Remix
1:25 - Pokkén Tournament DX DLC
2:21 - Kirby Star Allies
3:25 - Kirby Battle Royale & Dragon Quest Builders Demos
3:44 - Hyrule Warriors Definitive Version
4:32 - Mario Tennis Aces
5:28 - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
6:34 - Super Mario Odyssey Update - Luigi's Balloon World
7:41 - SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy
8:40 - ACA NEOGEO ART OF FIGHTING 2
8:55 - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle DLC
9:51 - PAYDAY 2
10:38 - Fe
11:12 - Celeste
11:48 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Nintendo Switch
12:50 - Dark Souls Remastered

14 mins only! Wow, I didn't remember it being that short. We might just get a lot out of these 10 mins after all.

DDark

Jul 13, 2020
no lol.

wtf is happening here?

A vast majority of Nintendo fans only care about games with a Nintendo logo slapped on them and that should be evident by the rage online after the March Mini and now for this announcement.

Disagree if you want, I don't care, but many reps for publishers have spelled out that exact problem when asked why they don't support Nintendo platforms in the past.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I'm glad I managed to mostly kill any hype I had. It's like nothing is happening for me today. Given it is third party only+10 minutes long + already announced games+multiple Directs like that planned (so this one won't be packed), it will likely be a small thing. A release date for BD2 would be nice.

Insiders were obviously referencing something else than that Mini Direct. Hopefully the event is still planned for late summer.
I wonder how they will announce that supposed Mario game that is 2/3 months away from release though...

Weird times.

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
14 mins only! Wow, I didn't remember it being that short. We might just get a lot out of these 10 mins after all.
Don't do this to yourself. Context is different this time.

Yeah it sucks, but just remember that we were not expecting a Direct before September anyway, and that Captain Tsubasa has told us he knew Nintendo planned to do their big Direct at the end of summer. It'll soon be there, less than 2 months, hold on !
When did he say that?

Starvald

Mar 24, 2020
My prediction is : directs are gone, Nintendo first parties are to be announced on twitter. We will still get video presentations but only to showcase gamees. Partners still get a direct (maybe because they were promised one or just maybe because they would go unnoticed without one)

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

That's how I feel. I suffer from bad depression and constant suicidal thoughts and have been desperate for anything to get excited about but mostly all we get is Trump shenanigans and COVID-19.

I shouldn't even focus or care what Nintendo does or doesn't do. A byproduct of my own problems. :(

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I definitely don't think it's impossible that there's something new in there based on the wording. Nintendo has historically been quite poor at keeping to their "focus" in a Direct.
True.

The opening announcement was Daemon X Machina which released in 2019.

Animal Crossing was announced with a 2020 release date. We still don't know when BOTW2 is going to release.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah. I get why people are disappointed after the build up in expectations, but we're pretty much back to where we where - except we'll have a bit more info on third-party stuff and maybe release dates/windows for some of the exclusives (c'mon Bravely Default and No More Heroes). I think Nintendo can improve the situation a bit if these Partner Showcase things have another installment soon.

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
I'm glad I managed to mostly kill any hype I had. It's like nothing is happening for me today. Given it is third party only+10 minutes long + already announced games+multiple Directs like that planned (so this one won't be packed), it will likely be a small thing. A release date for BD2 would be nice.

Insiders were obviously referencing something else than that Mini Direct. Hopefully the event is still planned for late summer.
I wonder how they will announce that supposed Mario game that is 2/3 months away from release though...

Weird times.
The worst part of this is the Mario event was supposed to take place in early May. It's almost August and there's no sign of it anywhere.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

That is not something that should happen.
You need to get a new perspective on all of this I think.
Go listen to the wind under a tree or something.
And I'm not joking.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
Anyway, I finished the first Spyro this weekend and since my copy of Paper Mario apparently isn't coming yet, I'll probably be finishing the other 2 this week (I hope). They play just like I remembered, they look great both in handheld and in docked, and apart from a few hiccups in the loading screen, framerate seems pretty smooth. I'ts only 20€ on the eshop so it's also great value!

Cheese&Onion

May 21, 2020

On the one hand, this is the first of a series of directs, so you might get more to look forward to next week etc. On the other hand, with how hard this news has hit you, it might be best for you to not get your hopes up for future announcements either. Hope you feel better soon, and hopefully there'll be some fun announcements today we haven't anticipated!

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Well, they weren't even wrong. Not really. Obviously something must've been crosswired, because three trusted insiders alludedd to the same thing happening. One even correctly reported on the announcement time.

I think what this does show is that added to Grubb's view that there's no 'normal' direct until late summer, we can be fairly confident of it landing sometime then? Probably as part of the Gamescom event, something which Nintendo takes part in.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply not to trust any insider to a certain degree, especially the proven ones. Just don't take their words as 100% confirmation. I rather view their input in these threads as guiding expectations and giving rough estimates, but nothing I'd take for granted/set in stone in the end.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
You can expect what you want.
Please just don't setup yourself for disappointment because you read the tweet wrong.
Nintendo might just throw a curveball, but I dont expect any more than it maybe ending with an announced game we didn't hear much about like Bayonetta 3 or SMT5 even though I thonk both of those are extremely unlikely.
It's just that they clearly went out of their way to word the tweet to set low expectations.
I would not expect more than they wrote they would show.

No I dont read tweet wrong, there is no reason to use termin focus in there they could just say "only" instead,
when we know for fact that when before they used focused before (or even if they dont use focus), they always showed more than what they said.

Look wording on those Tweets done, guess what, Nintendo showed more than what they wrote in those Tweets.

They used "focus" because they don't want people overhyping what is essentially a highlight reel of games we already know are going to come, man. I'm sorry, but new announcements really aren't likely today.

Thats point, every time when they said "focus" (focus on Spring games, focus on summer games, focus on this years games, focus on Holiday games..),
they show more than was in focus.
They could said "only", but they used again termin "focus".

True.

The opening announcement was Daemon X Machina which released in 2019.

Animal Crossing was announced with a 2020 release date. We still don't know when BOTW2 is going to release.

Thank you.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
A vast majority of Nintendo fans only care about games with a Nintendo logo slapped on them and that should be evident by the rage online after the March Mini and now for this announcement.

Disagree if you want, I don't care, but many reps for publishers have spelled our that exact problem when asked why they don't support Nintendo platforms in the past.
Fo you honestly think third parties don't port their games on nintendo consoles because fans are mean on online forums rather than the fact that nintendo consoles aren't up to the technological level of the competition since the wii?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

I don't want to sound rude, but this isn't an healty approach to videogames marketing. Maybe it's better if you detach a bit from it for a while and recharge the batteries.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Whenever someone asks about Nintendo's future lineup:

kOArzCB.gif
Aurora borealis? In your kitchen? xD

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
A vast majority of Nintendo fans only care about games with the Nintendo logo and that should be evident by the rage online after the March Mini and now for this announcement.

Disagree if you want, I don't care, but many reps for publishers have spelled our that exact problem when asked why they don't support Nintendo platforms in the past.
I get where you're coming from, and I think there's definitely merit to that argument in a general sense (people obviously prioritize Nintendo first-parties over third-parties), but I'm not sure it's a full explanation for the disappointment people are experiencing in this specific instance.

People don't want a ten-minute presentation with zero first-party announcements, no matter how much they like third-party support, especially when the expectation is that absolutely none of the third-party announcements will even be new. What is there to be excited for in a presentation with, potentially, no new information whatsoever, save for perhaps a release date? I don't support full-blown outrage or anything, but I think disappointment at this set-up is perfectly reasonable.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Never believe what Nintendo says. I'm sure it'll be third party only but I'm also sure we'll see unannounced games.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
When did he say that?
Captain came around when the direct was announced and clarified on their "S" and "M" hints along with answering a question on if they still were believing another direct to get released within 2-3 months. Basically this direct came as a surprise to them and they thought this was going to contain the direct info that was planned for late summer

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Disagree if you want, I don't care, but many reps for publishers have spelled out that exact problem when asked why they don't support Nintendo platforms in the past.
This is not a Nintendo-specific thing by any means- remember how people reacted to Microsoft's third-party stream a few months back?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The wording in the announcement tweet is really confusing imo. You can interpret it in so many ways. It could be just updates on already announced 3rd party games or the part referring to the updates could be additional to new 3rd party announcements. I guess there is no point in analyzing when it will be aired in a few hours haha.
I thought it might be due to the English wording, but Nintendo DE's tweet ain't any better...

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
No its not nonsense and there is no need for calling my post nonsense,
people here keep ignoring fact that every time when Nintendo used term "focus" showed mote than what is focus.

At end people can whatever they want, despite facts, Nintendo wording and personal expectations.
PLEASE STOP
your focus theory doesnt hold any weight
sure they used the term focus in the way you are saying before when they said a direct would focus on "games coming holiday 2019 and Luigi's Mansion" or something like that and then also showed off Xenoblade for 2020.
But they clearly dont use the word that way here.
And the "focus" is not even on announced games but they clearly state they will just share info on announced games, no ambiguity there.
You telling us that "focus" doesnt mean "only" is totally irrelevant when the word is there but IN A TOTALLY SEPARATE SENTENCE and directed at a different thing.
Just stop.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways let me use this terrible occurrence for good and plug Origami King.

As someone who loves TTYD and wants a true PM3, Game is legit fantastic and feels like a true adventure so far in a way that SS and CS couldn't even hope to. It's really great for what it is, you can tell it's comfortable in its own shoes and isn't trying to be an RPG lite but instead a puzzle adventure game.

DexterBear

Apr 24, 2018
I find kinda funny the fact that when you guys talk about the games that should be on this mini, you guys forget about Sports Story. It's a 2020 indie release and it should be great.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
PLEASE STOP
your focus theory doesnt hold any weight
sure they used the term focus in the way you are saying before when they said a direct would focus on "games coming holiday 2019 and Luigi's Mansion" or something like that and then also showed off Xenoblade for 2020.
But they clearly dont use the word that way here.
And the "focus" is not even on announced games but they clearly state they will just share info on announced games, no ambiguity there.
You telling us that "focus" doesnt mean "only" is totally irrelevant when the word is there but IN A TOTALLY SEPARATE SENTENCE and directed at a different thing.
Just stop.

So, you admit fact that they are always showing more when they are saying "focus", and announcing even 2020. games when they said they talking about 2019. games (so no word focus, they wrote "talk about 2019. games" and they showed 2020. games also),
but you refuse to believe they could announce new game when they said they are focusing on titles from "development & publishing partners" and that they will talk about "previously-announced games"!?

Sounds like double standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.