• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'll say, if there's a new 3D Mario, a new game from the Mario Kart/Arms team, a new 2D Metroid, WarioWare, Paper Mario, Bayonetta 3 and Animal Crossing, that's already a pretty stellar 2020 if that all pans out. I'd like to add BOTW2 or Monolith's next game but those are still big unknowns right now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say, if there's a new 3D Mario, a new game from the Mario Kart/Arms team, a new 2D Metroid, WarioWare, Paper Mario, Bayonetta 3 and Animal Crossing, that's already a pretty stellar 2020 if that all pans out. I'd like to add BOTW2 or Monolith's next game but those are still big unknowns right now.
BotW2 is more known than 3D Mario, new ARMS/MK team, Paper Mario and WarioWare though

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Pikmin 3 was the rumored port to come this year.
I can easily see that being announced in September and released in December. Mario and Rabbids was announced in July and released in September. There is still plenty of time left.

Personally I hope for dlc for existing games. Mario Party definitely needs it

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about Mario Party. We had awful lots of it (3 on 3DS!).

What I need is a new Mario Sports Mix. Followup to the Square made one on Wii. But with more corssovers. First one had Square characters as extras, I want more in the sequel: Maybe Crash Bandicoot characters? Rayman & friends? Or maybe even Mickey Mouse and Disney folk.

Or better even, Mario Sports Smash Bros? Ubisoft once made a Ubi corssover soccer game something similar to that. Mario, Pacman, Megaman, Kirby, DK, Rayman, Crash (but no realistic or anime characters, only mascots). Wonder how possible such project is. It's time to Smash cast to try different genres.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

What I need is a new Mario Sports Mix. Followup to the Square made one on Wii. But with more corssovers. First one had Square characters as extras, I want more in the sequel: Maybe Crash Bandicoot characters? Rayman & friends? Or maybe even Mickey Mouse and Disney folk.

Or better even, Mario Sports Smash Bros? Ubisoft once made a Ubi corssover soccer game something similar to that. Mario, Pacman, Megaman, Kirby, DK, Rayman, Crash (but no realistic or anime characters, only mascots). Wonder how possible such project is. It's time to Smash cast to try different genres.

So kinda like Mario and Sonic at the Olympics which releases this year?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Sure, but I think it's quite possible that BOTW2 is further off than all of those likely games. These 3D Zelda hype cycles can go for a long time.
While I agree with the sentiment, I don't think BOTW2 will be too far off since it is reusing the BOTW engine and many of it's assets.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
And get this, guys. It's fun, plays well and it's gorgeous. Full online play.

Sold...

It's funny that as much as I sometimes complain about lack of game diversity on Switch and Nintendo only making Mario Games, after M+S Releases I'm going to own 6 Mario games of about 20 total games

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
So kinda like Mario and Sonic at the Olympics which releases this year?

Absolutely not. Those games were nothing alike. First of Sports Mix was pure fun, Nintendo-esque (even though made by Square) team sport mix while Olympics games were always like... traditional Mario-less Olympics games, all button mashing or wiggle waggle to run (that being said, I'm a little hopeful about this years one. It had bunch of new sports including skateboarding, it might scratch my skateboard itch)

Sports Mix was super fun, 'I'm baffled that Nintendo haven't had Square to make another one (of course it could be that Square might be busy). If they decide to make another one, I'll get it full price day one. I really miss that crazy dodgeball game...

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
While I agree with the sentiment, I don't think BOTW2 will be too far off since it is reusing the BOTW engine and many of it's assets.

Yeah, while don't think this will be a four year wait like with BOTW, I think it's still not coming anytime soon. Those games I mentioned could be announced in the near future.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The next Mario Party may instead of motion controls be focused on touch screen and use the gyroscope, designed for Switch Litle.

That way they could coexist Super Mario Party (Console) and something like Touch Mario Party.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario 2 makes so much sense because of Switch Lite. Super Mario Party is pretty lame on a Switch Lite. I understand not doing any dlc and moving straight to SMP2. They can crank these games out every 2 years.

I just really hope the maps are bigger, there are more items and the economy is fixed. PLEASE no more 10 coins for a star. So dumb

-Better economy
-better maps being bigger and more maps
-focus less on the side modes!
-more items??
-minor but game looks kind of bland? I like the old Mario Party's had a fun artstyle to them
-bring back the 10 die. No more 1-6 die

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
maybe even Mickey Mouse and Disney folk.

Real talk for a minute: If Nintendo can work with Disney to get Mario and Mickey Mouse in the same game, then that first game needs to be Smash with Sora being the character to bring them together. You make that collaboration an event. Those are two of the most iconic characters that EVERYONE knows.

THEN you talk other franchise collaborations. But you make sure the first one is a big one. Otherwise it's Mario & Sonic where everyone is shocked, but it could have been a bigger event.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk for a minute: If Nintendo can work with Disney to get Mario and Mickey Mouse in the same game, then that first game needs to be Smash with Sora being the character to bring them together. You make that collaboration an event. Those are two of the most iconic characters that EVERYONE knows.

THEN you talk other franchise collaborations. But you make sure the first one is a big one. Otherwise it's Mario & Sonic where everyone is shocked, but it could have been a bigger event.

I feel like now that Nintendo is collaborating heavily with Universal that it may get in the way of any sort of crossovers with Disney. Of course, there will still be Disney games on the Switch. It did stop Mario from showing up in Wreck-It Ralph 2 like Rich Moore originally wanted.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

Why settle for sub-par Smash Soccer games when you can have Nintendo's best multiplayer game, Mario Strikers?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
BOTW2 as a holiday 2020 release while being Nintendo's main showcase at E3 is my bet.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What King Zell's comment regarding BOTW 2 tells us is that in early 2019, they are aiming for a 2020 release. Seeing as this info comes from early 2019, there is ample time for plans to change, either due to game release planning making it a more suitable 2021 release, or due to the game not matching the expected development speed and needing more development time. What King Zell told us allows us to have a good hope that BOTW 2 in 2020 is possible, but it is not a confirmation even though King Zell is as reliable as they come. We simply cannot deduce from his words that he knows for sure that the game is 100% ready for 2020, only that 2020 was the internal target half a year ago (and could very well still be).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
In about a week we will enjoy some gameplay of The Witcher 3 on Switch. What a time to be alive.

The September directs (at least, the previous 2) had some big 3rd party games announced and released a few weeks after. I hope this is a trend and we'll see something like that with the upcoming direct. For a long time I thought that The Division 2 would be brought to the system, given how well the snowdrop engine performs on Switch. If it doesn't get announced at this direct, I'll give up. Unfortunately, it would have been a nice addition to the library.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What King Zell's comment regarding BOTW 2 tells us is that in early 2019, they are aiming for a 2020 release. Seeing as this info comes from early 2019, there is ample time for plans to change, either due to game release planning making it a more suitable 2021 release, or due to the game not matching the expected development speed and needing more development time. What King Zell told us allows us to have a good hope that BOTW 2 in 2020 is possible, but it is not a confirmation even though King Zell is as reliable as they come. We simply cannot deduce from his words that he knows for sure that the game is 100% ready for 2020, only that 2020 was the internal target half a year ago (and could very well still be).
I don't think anyone is doing that.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Do we know when they started development for BotW2?

Didn't Aonuma say they started making a new game because they had a ton of DLC ideas for the first BotW and it became big enough to be its own thing? If that's true, we can assume development started soon after BotW was released and the DLC came out.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
BotW 2 in 2020 doesn't seem that crazy to me, considering that MP4 will come later it makes sense for them to have a big SP game for 2020, and I think that the next big Mario, the next Monolith game and the next FE game will come later.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do we know when they started development for BotW2?
Not a precise month, but since Aonuma said that BOTW2 grew out of the ideas for DLC for BOTW, then that puts the inception of BOTW2 very close to the finish of BOTW (since writers were probably brainstorming DLC ideas before BOTW released). As such, BOTW2 development may have started as soon as very soon after BOTW launch, but at the latest I would think that it started development at the start of 2018. That gives anywhere between 2.8-3.5 years of development if we target a November 2020 release date.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If King Zell never mentioned 3D Zelda in 2020 I would still be saying it can come late 2020. It's the BotW world again. I see it as 3-3.5 years of development by November 2020.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way Nintendo is doing it now we'll know probably by March what the big holiday game is. The official release date might not be known, but Nintendo would've announced the holiday game already by then.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
At that point it was reported Nintendo actively wanted Aonuma to create a new IP.
Of course this was before BotW released and completely revitalized the IP.
This is the main reason I'm not expecting it to come.

I hope I'm wrong though! A new IP by Aonuma would be fantastic.
Why would it have to be the Zelda team? He's a producer. You know that means he's not stuck to a singular "team", right?
Not saying it has to be at all! It's just me being silly and stating something we all know haha.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new IP from Aonuma would be fantastic, but I very much doubt it'll come to fruition.

I doubt the "Zelda team" have enough people to be work on it.
The EPD teams are only a handful of people. They can probably scrap together a new team. They might need to outsource the game like Star Fox Zero though

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
What King Zell told us allows us to have a good hope that BOTW 2 in 2020 is possible, but it is not a confirmation even though King Zell is as reliable as they come. We simply cannot deduce from his words that he knows for sure that the game is 100% ready for 2020, only that 2020 was the internal target half a year ago (and could very well still be).
sure. Things change, after all

Status
Not open for further replies.