Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah I remember about that, once again shame it didn't happen. Don't know why he's so picky about things like that, Smash should be an opportunity to show off some of these lesser known Nintendo series including as fighters, but also through stages.
I remember him mentioning later on that he tries to avoid adding characters from franchises that don't have much of a future, especially Nintendo franchises. Golden Sun was probably just a victim of bad timing. Even with Xenoblade, he cited Shulk as someone he normally wouldn't include.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I have a feeling that SMT5 will be the big third party annoucement at the Direct and will likely get a lot of promotion

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember him mentioning later on that he tries to avoid adding characters from franchises that don't have much of a future, especially Nintendo franchises. Golden Sun was probably just a victim of bad timing. Even with Xenoblade, he cited Shulk as someone he normally wouldn't include.
Seems like a pretty dumb reason for it, especially when Smash could potentially help that franchise have a future by exposing more people to it. Really hate a lot of his justifications for many of his choices.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems like a pretty dumb reason for it, especially when Smash could potentially help that franchise have a future by exposing more people to it. Really hate a lot of his justifications for many of his choices.
Despite popular belief, Smash doesn't really help make or break a franchise. Even with Smash, Fire Emblem was on the brink of death before Awakening. That said, you aren't wrong in that Sakurai isn't above being criticized for his decisions (hell, I've criticized him plenty).

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Despite popular belief, Smash doesn't really help make or break a franchise. Even with Smash, Fire Emblem was on the brink of death before Awakening. That said, you aren't wrong in that Sakurai isn't above being criticized for his decisions (hell, I've criticized him plenty).
Even if small, it helps make people more aware of a series or IP and the best way to do this is by giving them a playable fighter. Also, yeah your thread is just another reason to critize his flippancy towards various issues Smash has.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate we will burn through this thread and the next OT before Nintendo's show.

IF THE NEXT OT IS THE ONE WHERE METROID HAPPENS (it's has to actually be the one where Metroid happens).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Does anyone here know how to do that countdown thing? I want to add it to the OP.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Does anyone here know how to do that countdown thing? I want to add it to the OP.
mxn0uMf.png

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
What are the odds we see in this direct the rumoured DK game by EPD Tokyo? It is basically the only announcement I'm interested in.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I think they are mostly post-hoc explanations tbh. I do not think he is really bound by much in the way of real constraints when presented with a character. I mean no one is going to claim Ice Climbers had a grand future when he selected them.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Golden sun as a franchise doesn't really have a future. The fact is there's not really any obvious point where it could have been added, there's no easy cut from brawl to have made room for someone from golden sun, and by the time of the entry after that, the series was already pushing up daisies.

I don't buy that Shulk wouldn't have been included really though.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Given that Nintendo didn't market their last independent game, I wouldn't bet on them marketing this one.

Seems like it could be a spiritual successor to Goemon based on the Good Feel's president's former work on that franchise. Their first independent project was a more budget eShop title, so this one could get some marketing help from Nintendo if it's going higher budget.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just that Smash Bros. characters cost millions to make and they don't want to put the resources into less popular/known characters that most people aren't really familar with.

Stuff like Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch are kinda more the exceptions, not the rule.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
2B for Smash please

Probably won't happen but the music would be banging

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just that Smash Bros. characters cost millions to make and they don't want to put the resources into less popular/known characters that most people aren't really familar with.

Stuff like Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch are kinda more the exceptions, not the rule.
Making one character definitely does not cost "millions".

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Either way, tons of money still goes into making most of these characters, and again outside of the obligatory retro/surprise character each game, they probably want to use those resources on more marketable characters (so not protagonists of defunct C-D tier Nintendo series).

At least, that's how I read it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Staff costs are high. While I don't know the exact number of work hours needed for a character, given that we're talking a couple of months work from a dedicated development team, I wouldn't be shocked if they really were significantly over a million.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
in every E3 (or almost every E3), there is a new IP or a new unannounced game, a surprise.
Apart from the most expected games like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, DK, Metroid, the new Monolith game etc., what would be your most anticipated new "surprise"?
I want a new Mario Soccer and this would really surprise me, because I don't see it happening.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Staff costs are high. While I don't know the exact number of work hours needed for a character, given that we're talking a couple of months work from a dedicated development team, I wouldn't be shocked if they really were significantly over a million.
I agree, but also, a couple million dollars is really just not a lot of money at Smash Bros scale

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I'm no longer expecting a showstopper as the motif this E3 has been "wait til 2022". Just give me a Zelda trailer and I'll feel fed.

I thought the DK rumor was that it was 3D which had me so hyped. *cries in 2D*

Status
Not open for further replies.