• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few hours of Cook Serve Delicious 2 last night and loved every minute of it. Co-op mode was crazy manic fun with my wife as was attempted to get orders out and then I explored the Campaign mode a bit solo. There is an amazing amount of content - tons of individual pre-created, themed restaurants you can work in with multiple different menus available (some are harder than others!) plus the regular Campaign mode where you can design your own restaurant using parts and options you unlock over time, create your own menus that you can swap between before starting a new day and so much more. Really, really impressive. The ambiance is neat, too - some days are filled with rainstorms with lightning flashing and thunder rolling. Makes you happy to be inside even though you're being deluged with customers! Port seems excellent - I haven't found any issues so far. If you play handheld you can use the touchscreen or the regular controls to prep orders. The touchscreen definitely gives a different experience - not sure which I was faster at but both were enjoyable. I can't say enough good things about CSD2 - if you have any interest in cooking games this is the one to get. I was happy to preorder it at full price ($12.99 US).

A question: do you get Pretzels to work reliably? For me, the Classic or German choice is randomly preset and whatever choice I make doesn't make any difference.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
since diablo 3 is on sale ... how is the couch coop?

The ps4 version has some weird stuff that the coop person has to use another profile and stuff... how does it work on the switch?
Couch co-op is fantastic. My wife has a non-NSO profile on my Switch, so I'm pretty sure you need one so your character can be saved but we play all the time and there has never been any issues.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Grabbed Cook, Serve Delicious 2 yesterday and Bot Vice today. Having loads of fun with both but Bot Vice gets the award as I've already played CSD2 on pc.

Having said that, I much prefer the controls on the Switch version

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That 'Baba Is You' is 3 hours long is the most ridiculous hot take that I have read in Era in the entire 2019.
that's not what a hot take is :) (hot takes are eye-catching reactionary opinions on a [mostly current] thing that is usually not very well thought through)
It was based on the HLTB average given for "main story" ...what should have made the poster suspicious though is that the "main story plus extras" listing below is at 12-14h so clearly the 3.5h is not "how long the game is."

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
That 'Baba Is You' is 3 hours long is the most ridiculous hot take that I have read in Era in the entire 2019.

Back to the topic of games that we have actually played, the Switch port of 'Gigantic Army' is legit.

NSwitchDS_GiganticArmy_05.jpg

And the best game inspired in 'Cybernator' ever made.

It's basically 'Contra: Hard Corps', but with fucking gigantic mechs.

And I'm using the comparison with 'Contra: Hard Corps' because the game is a bloody orgy of gigantic mid bosses, with the same sense of epicness of Konami's magnum opus.

It's like playing an episode of a space opera, making you feel immersed in a intergalactic scale war, while you see in the horizon other mechs destroying dreadnoughts. They have really nailed the setting of the game.

One of the most gorgeous 2D showcases seen this generation. And running at 60 FPS, it doesn't matter the size or number of sprites and explosions

One of my greatest surprises of this 2019.
And my favorite Astro Port game so far.
How the heck did I miss that this got a Switch port? I've been meaning to get it on Steam for ages. Definitely getting this today.
Holy crap! A Dark Room is on Switch? I love that game! I mean...I won't buy it as it's a web browser game that you can play for free. But still. Pretty neat.
I couldn't believe it when I saw that was on the upcoming games list. Great game and I love the idea of text-based games on Switch.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, quick question.
I recently got Fire Emblem Warriors for switch and I was wondering about the coop. Like, can I play coop online? Or maybe with a friend, each with our own Switches and each with 1 copy of the game? Because I tried to search info about it, but I only found posts about people playing on the same Switch.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
A question: do you get Pretzels to work reliably? For me, the Classic or German choice is randomly preset and whatever choice I make doesn't make any difference.
It took me a while to figure out that several of the dishes you make at the prep stations (top of the screen) randomly select what kind you need to make at that time. For instance if you go to make a pretzel it will select Classic or German and display it and you HAVE to make that one or it can't be served. Do it again and it might select the other type of pretzel...or it could be the same one as before. Make a pie and it might pick a pumpkin pie one time, apple pie next and mincemeat pie after...or two key lime pies back-to-back. Once you know to only make the type they display on screen for you you're golden. I was confused especially about the pies since I thought I had to make pies that looked like the image shown on the side.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So, quick question.
I recently got Fire Emblem Warriors for switch and I was wondering about the coop. Like, can I play coop online? Or maybe with a friend, each with our own Switches and each with 1 copy of the game? Because I tried to search info about it, but I only found posts about people playing on the same Switch.
I am fairly certain that both FE & Hyrule Warriors don't have online co-op, it's couch only on the same system.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
It took me a while to figure out that several of the dishes you make at the prep stations (top of the screen) randomly select what kind you need to make at that time. For instance if you go to make a pretzel it will select Classic or German and display it and you HAVE to make that one or it can't be served. Do it again and it might select the other type of pretzel...or it could be the same one as before. Make a pie and it might pick a pumpkin pie one time, apple pie next and mincemeat pie after...or two key lime pies back-to-back. Once you know to only make the type they display on screen for you you're golden. I was confused especially about the pies since I thought I had to make pies that looked like the image shown on the side.
I really need a gameplay break video of how it works because I'm intrigued but it seems so much complicated.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
I really need a gameplay break video of how it works because I'm intrigued but it seems so much complicated.
See this video of the PC version starting at the 1:15 mark: https://youtu.be/XXv__SQGucU . He selects a prep station at the top and chooses to make a pie and it randomly selects a Cranberry Pie and shows the ingredients. If he didn't make a Cranberry Pie exactly as shown it would not be servable to anyone and would have to be thrown out and a new pie made. Then he selects the other prep station, chooses to make a pie and it randomly selects a Pecan Pie which he then has to make or it will have to be thrown out. Hope that helps!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you, that made a lot of sense! So the prep stations basically worked the opposite way than I thought they would. Much simpler than I thought.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Played a few hours of Cook Serve Delicious 2 last night and loved every minute of it. Co-op mode was crazy manic fun with my wife as was attempted to get orders out and then I explored the Campaign mode a bit solo. There is an amazing amount of content - tons of individual pre-created, themed restaurants you can work in with multiple different menus available (some are harder than others!) plus the regular Campaign mode where you can design your own restaurant using parts and options you unlock over time, create your own menus that you can swap between before starting a new day and so much more. Really, really impressive. The ambiance is neat, too - some days are filled with rainstorms with lightning flashing and thunder rolling. Makes you happy to be inside even though you're being deluged with customers! Port seems excellent - I haven't found any issues so far. If you play handheld you can use the touchscreen or the regular controls to prep orders. The touchscreen definitely gives a different experience - not sure which I was faster at but both were enjoyable. I can't say enough good things about CSD2 - if you have any interest in cooking games this is the one to get. I was happy to preorder it at full price ($12.99 US).

So... This game isn't like Overcooked right? I watched the trailer and didn't understand the concept really. But it's co op and fun though?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on the Mercenaries strategy rpgs games? I remember people liking the original trilogy on DS

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
If I'm wrong please tell me because I'm interested in the game.

Maybe I misinterpreted HLTB where it says Main Story 3 1/2 hours. I don't think the other playtime stats where on the site when I checked it awhile ago. What does the rest of the game consist of?

I've done 100 plus levels and looked up only 2 partial solutions and it's taken me 35 hours so far. Easily 50 hours of gameplay in it if you don't cheat.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I thought this month was going to be a light one compared to last month but the amount of games I've bought in the last couple days is obscene. I don't even want to talk about it.

Anyone pick up Slime Tactics? Really curious about this one given that Ambition was a good game.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I completely forgot that Travis Strikes Again is getting its 2nd DLC at the end of the month.

I went from "eeh, not much in April" to "oh god, Cuphead & Boxboy & Smash DLC & Travis Strikes Again & maybe Labo VR"

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I bought Cook Serve Delicious 2. I played solo for about an hour and a half today. My impressions are that it's challenging but fun.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i'm interested in hellblade since a lot of people seem to like it but I have no idea what kind of game it is.

is it an action game like bayonetta/dmc? a game like zelda? or something completely different?

Oct 26, 2017
Bought friends of ringo ishikawa and just don't get this at all. Have absolutely no clue what to do and the game isn't telling me anything.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
What the heck, where's Terra Force? I was scrolling through my wishlist and I see it's gone. I know this happens sometimes but at least with the Psikyo games I could kinda imagine some rating issues leading to their temporary removal but what could have happened with Terra Force?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
i'm interested in hellblade since a lot of people seem to like it but I have no idea what kind of game it is.

is it an action game like bayonetta/dmc? a game like zelda? or something completely different?
More third-person adventure with psychological fear than combat, I think. Like a Nordic Silent Hill.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
If you already own a decent stick for another system, have you looked into just getting an adapter?

I actually don't have one. I'm thinking of either

1) investing in an Xbox One and using BC to my advantage for lots of shmups
or
2) taking that money and pouring it into a bunch of Switch and Steam games and getting a decent stick

Hard to decide whether the stick is worth it, though. Seems like there is a lot of debate about which controls are best for solid play on PC and ideally I'd invest in something I could use for my computer and my Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Any shmuppers/run 'n' gunners own an arcade stick for the Switch? Any suggestions for which one is most worth the investment?

I have a ton of shmups on my Switch wish list but haven't pulled the plug as I haven't found an ideal way to play them on the system. I'm wondering if there's an outside the box solution where a Bluetooth stick can be used with the switch using the 8bitdo adapter.

Outside of that, did the GameCube have any decent sticks? Because there's a GameCube controller adapter for the system

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Any shmuppers/run 'n' gunners own an arcade stick for the Switch? Any suggestions for which one is most worth the investment?
I have a ton of shmups on my Switch wish list but haven't pulled the plug as I haven't found an ideal way to play them on the system. I'm wondering if there's an outside the box solution where a Bluetooth stick can be used with the switch using the 8bitdo adapter.

Outside of that, did the GameCube have any decent sticks? Because there's a GameCube controller adapter for the system
I can recommend the Mayflash Magic-NS adapter, which plugs into the USB slot of the Switch dock. I've used it with my Hori RAP4K stick (this stick was made for PS4 and PC compatibility) to play on Switch a few times without issues. I'm a pretty hardcore shmup fan but to be honest, I mostly just play with my Pro controller's shitty d-pad. It's far, far from ideal but I just don't play my Switch docked very much so I don't often get to use my arcade stick. I should probably get the Hori d-pad joycon but I mostly play in tabletop mode and that joycon can't be used wirelessly.

ThankDougie, personally, I would go with option number 2 since Steam and the Switch together have a boatload of great shmups. I'm personally not a Cave fan so there aren't that many shmups that were only ported to XBOX that I would want aside from Radiant Silvergun, Raiden Fighters Aces, and a couple others. Obviously this will depend on your personal taste.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I think I asked this before, but any thoughts on Gal Metal?
I haven't played it myself, but from what I've heard, you should go into it less as a rhythm game & more of a "freestyle drumming game", as it tries to encourage you to make your own beats to the music. I haven't really heard anything bad, especially if you know what it is you're getting into, but at the same time, the best I've heard is that "it's alright, but really needed more music"

This Nintendo World Report review goes into more detail.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
regarding Gal Metal: I guess the physical edition already has the 10 dollar DLC so this is only a little less than buying physical. Also Best Buy has this (physical) for 14.99 but it's basically unavailable.

Guess I'll download the demo since I already have a JPN account.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I actually don't have one. I'm thinking of either

1) investing in an Xbox One and using BC to my advantage for lots of shmups
or
2) taking that money and pouring it into a bunch of Switch and Steam games and getting a decent stick

Hard to decide whether the stick is worth it, though. Seems like there is a lot of debate about which controls are best for solid play on PC and ideally I'd invest in something I could use for my computer and my Switch.

Honestly I own all consoles, I'm hardcore (lol) STGs fan and I consider the Switch as the de facto Shmup console this gen, with PS4 having M2's Shot Triggers juicy exclusives. The vast majority of Xbox 360 godlike shmup library isn't BC so an Xbox One won't do you any good (Raiden Fighters Aces, ALL of Cave's games bar Guwange, XII Stag/Delta Zeal...), you're much better of with an actual J-360 if you want to go down the rabbit hole, otherwise between Switch and Steam you're pretty much fully covered.

As far as arcade sticks, I just use the Magic NS adapter which lets you use basically ANY controller (Xbox360/Xbone/PS3/PS4/PC/WiiU) on Switch with zero perceived latency; I usually hook it up to an HORI RAP4 Kai (PS4/PC) and with a USB female to USB C male cable you can also use it in tabletop mode (love placing the Switch on the Hori stand while in portrait/TATE orientation and hooking up my arcade sticks).

Btw,

here you can find a FULL LIST OF EVERY SHMUP/Run 'n Gun available on Switch, its cost, if it has a retail release, etc...

Last edited:

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Anyone have thoughts on the Mercenaries strategy rpgs games? I remember people liking the original trilogy on DS

I bought the collection and was pretty disappointed. It's a ton of content, but it was so mediocre that i got to a point where I was like, "Eh, my time is worth more than this."

Echoing the sentiment that there are a lot of better SRPGs on Switch, especially in the time since that collection came out. Wargroove, Into the Breach, and even the two Shining Force games in the Sega Genesis collection have more interesting gameplay to offer than Mercenaries IMO. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a bit of a different thing but has a free demo that you could also check out.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

I recently reviewed the trilogy and honestly found it to be kinda bad. It's very clunky, slow-paced and the backgrounds/spritework is generic. Something's not right if I'm having more fun with the first NES Fire Emblem due to how it feels MUCH smoother (even for being dated) compared to this game. If these games played at 4X the speed and had a bit more polish it could have been great.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I know this isn't a new issue, but I'm starting to feel genuinely overwhelmed by how many indies I want to play that have come out recently, or coming out soon for this wonderful machine.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Was that issue where the screen jerks when you start running in Pokemom LGPE ever fixed?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So... This game isn't like Overcooked right? I watched the trailer and didn't understand the concept really. But it's co op and fun though?

It has both similarities and differences to Overcooked/Overcooked 2:
* In Overcooked, the obstacles mainly occur through the environment (since you move around). In CSD2, the obstacles is to handle the incoming task list as fast/efficient as possible. Rush hours are the "mini boss battles" with a day.
* In terms of co-op, it has 2-player only. No versus modes.
* A solid 1-player mode (while Overcooked is basically a multiplayer game)
* More focus on planning, resource management and design, while Overcooked is focused on movement.
* The game has muuuuuch more content in terms of food to prepare.
* It's a game that can be customized into what you want to do, while Overcooked is a game with designed levels.

Even though I have only played it 1-player yet (I've only booted up 2-player to see how it worked), the game would make perfect sense to play 2-player co-op. For example: One player handles the orders, while the other players prepares the food in advance and do the chores.