• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Whether this is reliable or not, we'll see. But if the Vita is getting a port, why not the Switch?

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/08/17/dice-produced-hardcore-game-returning-cancelled-psygnosis/

there is no Switch version. comicbook.com made that up.

StrictlyLTD is a PS4/Vita-only physical publisher.

last year they said basically they'd like to but they want to get their current platform routines in order before they dedicate resources (they're a two-person team) to Switch publishing.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ssic_from_the_creator_of_wonder_boy_on_switch (nov 17)
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/feat...trictly-limited-interview-ps4-ps-vita-1807389 (feb 18)
this is the latest on their switch outlook

Last edited:

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
So ive checked most of the demos on the eshop. VC is already preordered, the demo was fun and ran solid. Sushi Striker is also a great game. Some very fine niche games on there, though there are also some mediocre ones, but diversity is king. Anyway im someone who also can enjoy a 5 or 6/10 game so thats fine. Also running steam and i can decide performance/controls wise where to go with some titles. Seems to be a good addition.

Try the demo of Tumblestone. If she plays the single player campaign, most levels are without time restriction. It's a pretty mind bending match-3 game after a while.

This btw was a good suggestion, its a fun game and the right one for my gf too. Its even on sale so thanks again.

Another game i think was very interesting was The Bridge. Clever puzzles in a charming setting. Metropolis was also interesting, though the 3-match combat is very slow imo.

Can someone tell my where to find the helmet in Earthlock in the beginning of the demo? I need this to get access to a ship iirc.

On a side note, the OS and even the eshop is very fast (Europe), so i hope they dont bloat it too much. But a browser and Netflix should be implemented imo. A rating system for the eshop should also be considered, at least with a multiple choice concept.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't Die, Mr. Robot! is a damn good arcade game. It's on sale for $2 in NA at the moment. Thanks to everyone in this thread for recommending it over the past few months. Totally worth the purchase.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Day

romancing_saga_banner6ndzx.jpg

Sit upon the throne of the Varennes Empire and control several generations of rulers in a valiant battle against the Seven Heroes. A dynamic freeform scenario system - a hallmark of the million-selling SaGa RPG series - enables you to take command of a variety of protagonists along the line of imperial succession and experience the history of a nation as it grows and changes based on your actions.

• Experience a compelling narrative that served as the cornerstone of the title's success on its initial release back in 1993.
  • Use weapons and martial arts in heated battles to learn and master new combat techniques.
  • Take advantage of each character attributes, learn new battle formations, concoct spells and temper weapons to grow the Varennes Empire.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Price: $24.99/€24.99/£19.99 - NA web - EU web - Trailer

Last 6 GOTD
08/16 - Splasher
08/15 - Mulaka
08/14 - Little Inferno
08/13 - Bridge Constructor Portal
08/12 - Floor Kids
08/11 - Limbo

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Nine new NA eShop pages today:

Extreme Poker (august 16, $4.99)
Neo Geo: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (August 16, $7.99)
My Farm (August 23, $9.99)
Flood of Light (August 23, $4.99)
Space Ribbon (August 24, $14.99)
Realpolitiks (August 30, $24.99)
Old School Musical (September 13, $12.99)
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse (September 21, $29.99)
Diablo III: Eternal Collection (2018, $59.99)

About My Farm

I interviewed the team for the WiiU version of the game and had to review it.
I just couldn't managed to review the game because it would have to be disrespectful.
The game is so limited that even a 6 years old boy won't find fun in it.
So if you have a VERY Young kid why not, but otherwise, avoid.

It's a shame since Thierry Platon was a cool guy and it was great to discuss with him.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't Die, Mr. Robot! is a damn good arcade game. It's on sale for $2 in NA at the moment. Thanks to everyone in this thread for recommending it over the past few months. Totally worth the purchase.
I read that they removed leaderboards in the Switch version. PS4 & Vita has online leaderboards, if that matters to some people.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
This btw was a good suggestion, its a fun game and the right one for my gf too. Its even on sale so thanks again.

Another game i think was very interesting was The Bridge. Clever puzzles in a charming setting. Metropolis was also interesting, though the 3-match combat is very slow imo.

Can someone tell my where to find the helmet in Earthlock in the beginning of the demo? I need this to get access to a ship iirc.

On a side note, the OS and even the eshop is very fast (Europe), so i hope they dont bloat it too much. But a browser and Netflix should be implemented imo. A rating system for the eshop should also be considered, at least with a multiple choice concept.

Glad you liked Tumblestone!

NoA did a test with online user reviews and ratings for the eShop games, during a few days this winter. I guess it might have been an evaluation for something that they will launch later on.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Glad you liked Tumblestone!

NoA did a test with online user reviews and ratings for the eShop games, during a few days this winter. I guess it might have been an evaluation for something that they will launch later on.

Ah didnt know this, good info. Im really curious how the new online fuctions will look like.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I read that they removed leaderboards in the Switch version. PS4 & Vita has online leaderboards, if that matters to some people.

But the Switch version is still the superior and arranged version of the game, with a lot of new music in its soundtrack, improved graphics and gameplay tweaks.

For fans of the best arcade score-attack game made this generation, the Switch version of 'Don't Die Mr. Robot DX' is the way to go.

And if you dismiss the game for the fact of not having leaderboards, then do the same with the Zerodiv arcade ports of the Psikyo catalogue.

As much as I would love to have leaderboards in the game, it's a Nintendo thing, for not having ready the online service. Yeah, you still see games with leaderboards, but it's because the developers are paying for their own servers. In systems like Steam, for simple online features like leaderboards you can rely in the Steam infrastructure and API. Giving how ultra-niche is the game, how low sales these type of 80s score attack games have, how the game is currently in Europe in the TOP 10 of the worst sellers, I can't blame them for deciding to not invest in paying a dedicated server for leaderboards.

Hopefully, once the online service is available, if learderboards are an automated feature relying in the Nintendo side, like in the rest of modern systems which are integrating this feature (Steam, PSN, Xbox Live), we could see a lot of games patched to include them.

And indeed, there are developers that have said that they are waiting for the release of the online service for including leaderboards, an example is 'Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive'.

And while 'Gonner' finally included leaderboards after a year, and after having said that they were waiting for the Nintendo online service, finally they patched the game by paying dedicated servers, because they were desperate after so many delays in the service. And they made a promise to their users.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Hey guys. I'm looking for indie platformer recommendations. Preferably sticking as closely to standard platforming as possible (ie Mario, Donkey Kong Country, etc.). I have and love Celeste. Looking for some good ones that I may have missed. Thanks!

Not Indie-only, but there is a list here: https://www.slant.co/topics/12249/~2d-platformers-for-the-nintendo-switch

(Obviously, not enough people have voted yet on that topic, so the ordering is a little weird. It's supposed to be best on top.)

As someone who enjoy platformers, I really liked SteamWorld Dig 1 and Dig 2. It is indie, involves jumping. But it's not really a precision platformer. Though you may have played it before. Not sure about GoNNER, Dandara and never played Sonic Mania.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
But the Switch version is still the superior and arranged version of the game, with a lot of new music in its soundtrack, improved graphics and gameplay tweaks.

For fans of the best arcade score-attack game made this generation, the Switch version of 'Don't Die Mr. Robot DX' is the way to go.

And if you dismiss the game for the fact of not having leaderboards, then do the same with the Zerodiv arcade ports of the Psikyo catalogue.

As much as I would love to have leaderboards in the game, it's a Nintendo thing, for not having ready the online service. Yeah, you still see games with leaderboards, but it's because the developers are paying for their own servers. In systems like Steam, for simple online features like leaderboards you can rely in the Steam infrastructure and API. Giving how ultra-niche is the game, how low sales these type of 80s score attack games have, how the game is currently in Europe in the TOP 10 of the worst sellers, I can't blame them for deciding to not invest in paying a dedicated server for leaderboards.

Hopefully, once the online service is available, if learderboards are an automated feature relying in the Nintendo side, like in the rest of modern systems which are integrating this feature (Steam, PSN, Xbox Live), we could see a lot of games patched to include them.

And indeed, there are developers that have said that they are waiting for the release of the online service for including leaderboards, an example is 'Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive'.

And while 'Gonner' finally included leaderboards after a year, and after having said that they were waiting for the Nintendo online service, finally they patched the game by paying dedicated servers, because they were desperate after so many delays in the service. And they made a promise to their users.
I see, let's hope they can add online leaderboards at a later date.

But bottom 10 selling game? That's depressing, it's so good.

depward

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys. I'm looking for indie platformer recommendations. Preferably sticking as closely to standard platforming as possible (ie Mario, Donkey Kong Country, etc.). I have and love Celeste. Looking for some good ones that I may have missed. Thanks!
If you love Celeste N++ should be right up your alley.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not surprised, screenshots make it look like shovelware. The art style really grows on you over time though. It's a great game I would have never considered if it weren't for this thread.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

Yeah, I felt curiosity about the low sellers in the system, so I organized the releases by popularity (that in the eShop is calculated by number of sales in the last 14 days). Also, I was looking for the name of a game which I can´t remember, under the impression that it will appear in the last positions: 'Sky Ride', a score-attack infinite arena shooter, with a first person perspective made in Japan.

To my surprise, 'Don't Die Mr. Robot DX+' was in the TOP 10 position in the bottom. And I say to my surprise, because these games tend to have better sales in Europe. You know, we have a tradition of Llamasoft games and the UK indie development scene has been the last reduct for these type of games. Some of the most iconic studios doing these type of neon-infused arcade score-attack games were based in Europe, from Housemarque with 'Resogun' and 'Nex Machina', to Bizarre Creations with the 'Geometry Wars' entries, PomPom Games with its collection of trippy shmups in the vein of 'Mutant Storm: Reload', the over-the-top action packed titles of Radiangames including the psychedelic orgies in its 'Super Crossfire' series, Vlambeer with 'Luftrausers', 'Ridiculous Fishing' or 'Super Crate Box', Terry Cavanagh with 'Super Hexagon', Rob "Retroremakes" Fearon with 'Death Ray Manta SE' and 'War Daddy'...

Some of the best efforts in the contemporary arcade "revival" have been made in Europe.

So if one of one of the most representative games in the genre is not selling in Europe, we're in the worst timeline possible.

All of that said, I used the Spain eShop. And in Spain, the video game classic scene tends to be focused in the late-80s and early-90s Japanese arcade games, ignoring the rest of things. I want to think that in the UK or in Germany, the game is doing better numbers.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Game of the Day

Sit upon the throne of the Varennes Empire and control several generations of rulers in a valiant battle against the Seven Heroes. A dynamic freeform scenario system - a hallmark of the million-selling SaGa RPG series - enables you to take command of a variety of protagonists along the line of imperial succession and experience the history of a nation as it grows and changes based on your actions.

• Experience a compelling narrative that served as the cornerstone of the title's success on its initial release back in 1993.
  • Use weapons and martial arts in heated battles to learn and master new combat techniques.
  • Take advantage of each character attributes, learn new battle formations, concoct spells and temper weapons to grow the Varennes Empire.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last 6 GOTD
08/16 - Splasher
08/15 - Mulaka
08/14 - Little Inferno
08/12 - Floor Kids
08/11 - Limbo

I keep meaning to try this game. Have a feeling I'd really enjoy it's unorthodox mechanics and structure.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Game of the Day

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last 6 GOTD
08/16 - Splasher
08/15 - Mulaka
08/14 - Little Inferno
08/12 - Floor Kids
08/11 - Limbo

What's your source for these amazing animated gifs that you include in each featured game?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Game of the Day

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last 6 GOTD
08/16 - Splasher
08/15 - Mulaka
08/14 - Little Inferno
08/12 - Floor Kids
08/11 - Limbo

A game I really want but ooof does that $25 price tag hurt.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I don't see mention of Switch version anywhere.

there is no Switch version. comicbook.com made that up.

StrictlyLTD is a PS4/Vita-only physical publisher.

last year they said basically they'd like to but they want to get their current platform routines in order before they dedicate resources (they're a two-person team) to Switch publishing.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ssic_from_the_creator_of_wonder_boy_on_switch (nov 17)
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/feat...trictly-limited-interview-ps4-ps-vita-1807389 (feb 18)
this is the latest on their switch outlook

I found that. I guess it's something. Either they're waiting for initial sales to see if it's worth it or have an announcement in the pipeline. *shrugs*

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

I found that. I guess it's something. Either they're waiting for initial sales to see if it's worth it or have an announcement in the pipeline. *shrugs*

...or eastasiasoft is involved in the Switch port.

EDIT: If it's arriving on the Switch, my guess is that it's a May 2019 release as game number 2,193 on the NA Switch eShop. Or something. Too many games to keep track of now...

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Game of the Day

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last 6 GOTD
08/16 - Splasher
08/15 - Mulaka
08/14 - Little Inferno
08/12 - Floor Kids
08/11 - Limbo

The best jRPG I've played on the switch thus far. Worth the price

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, has anyone here played Lumo? It's been in my wishlist for a while, and with it on sale at the moment I'm considering biting. Is it any good? It looks pretty charming, but I never really see anyone talking about it.

Feb 15, 2018
I loved it. Bought it on PS4. It's got lots and lots of references to the 1980s UK gaming scene, if you don't have nostalgia for that (and the games therin), then you may not have such a good time with it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
How hard is this game? Is it true that grinding makes the game harder? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

It does but only if you're grinding for hours against low-level enemies, otherwise it's not an issue. The real brick wall is the final boss so you best come prepared, or abuse the new game + function in order to get a leg up.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
A friend of mine said it was really cute and fun.

I loved it. Bought it on PS4. It's got lots and lots of references to the 1980s UK gaming scene, if you don't have nostalgia for that (and the games therin), then you may not have such a good time with it.

Thanks - the nostalgia angle is part of why I'm apprehensive cause I have absolutely no experience with that era of gaming, but if it's good on its own merit then I think I'll just go for it.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
And I just bought Riptide. It's on sale, it looks fun and I've never played Wave Racer, so I won't compare the game to a huge classic from the past ^_^

thinking about getting Minit and Bomb Chicken. Thoughts/impressions?

Lol... what he means is, "use the search bar on the top of the page and mark the 'Search this thread only' option". People have talked a lot about Minit for the last few days, you'll find some great impressions.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
wait, how does grinding make it harder?

yes!

It's not grinding per se that makes it harder, it's the amount of battles that you do that pushes the stats of enemies to the next phase. But it's not harsh or anything, it's just done so you always have a bit of a challenge.

so if you run away or fight low-level enemies hundreds of time you will get bitten back, but that's an edge case. As long as you don't spectacularly fail it will not be an issue.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It's not grinding per se that makes it harder, it's the amount of battles that you do that pushes the stats of enemies to the next phase. But it's not harsh or anything, it's just done so you always have a bit of a challenge.

so if you run away or fight low-level enemies hundreds of time you will get bitten back, but that's an edge case. As long as you don't spectacularly fail it will not be an issue.

Every time I read about this game, I get more interested. It looks so weird and convoluted... I'll have to buy it eventually.

kreven

Oct 25, 2017
NB, Canada

Both are enjoyable and nothing I would classify as "bad purchases".

However...

Minit is very short and may feel overpriced for people that like to play through the game and not bother to collect everything and not play the new game+ modes. I went in blind (only knowing it plays like a Zelda game à-la Link's Awakening and you die very 60 seconds) and had a blast. The premises may sounds a bit tiring after a while, but you get used to it very quick and I enjoyed completing my tasks at hand within 60 seconds all the time. I beat it in one evening (~1h35 or so), and later played some of the New Game+ mode. I will definitely revisit it again to complete it in the new mode.

As for Bomb Chicken, I thought I would enjoy it more as I love the style, gameplay and all, but it gets very repetitive after a while. I played some of it over a week or so and I'm maybe halfway done and kinda abandoned it. There are 39 levels total from what I can see from the level selection menu, and even at level ~20-ish, there are not much new game mechanics introduced anymore. The controls are very basic and to the point (you can move and lay eggs, that's it), so only the levels change to be harder and harder, to the point where it feels a bit punitive after a while. I ended up dying quite a few time at the very end of a level only to be forced to restart the whole thing every time. It got old and I moved onto Iconoclasts, which I am still playing.

At the current prices, you are still getting two good games for sub-$20. +1 for also both being great to play in portable mode.

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017

Minit is good, but very short. Maybe about an hour, hour and a half for a playthrough, maybe slightly longer if you try to get to 100%. Couple bonus modes you can unlock as well, but still fairly short.

It's not bad, but short. Think I finished in an hour to an hour and a half. The visuals are pretty cool, but there isn't really any replay value.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Both are enjoyable and nothing I would classify as "bad purchases".

However...

Minit is very short and may feel overpriced for people that like to play through the game and not bother to collect everything and not play the new game+ modes. I went in blind (only knowing it plays like a Zelda game à-la Link's Awakening and you die very 60 seconds) and had a blast. The premises may sounds a bit tiring after a while, but you get used to it very quick and I enjoyed completing my tasks at hand within 60 seconds all the time. I beat it in one evening (~1h35 or so), and later played some of the New Game+ mode. I will definitely revisit it again to complete it in the new mode.

As for Bomb Chicken, I thought I would enjoy it more as I love the style, gameplay and all, but it gets very repetitive after a while. I played some of it over a week or so and I'm maybe halfway done and kinda abandoned it. There are 39 levels total from what I can see from the level selection menu, and even at level ~20-ish, there are not much new game mechanics introduced anymore. The controls are very basic and to the point (you can move and lay eggs, that's it), so only the levels change to be harder and harder, to the point where it feels a bit punitive after a while. I ended up dying quite a few time at the very end of a level only to be forced to restart the whole thing every time. It got old and I moved onto Iconoclasts, which I am still playing.

At the current prices, you are still getting two good games for sub-$20. +1 for also both being great to play in portable mode.

Awesome thanks. I'm just looking for a couple small decent games to pass the time so these both sound like a reasonable purchases for me.