AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The thing is it will help you manage the different eshops better and you don't have to keep bouncing back and forth on your main account which if you want to keep an eshop balance you cannot do
My thing is that I want to keep my downloads under the same account instead of different ones under different accounts.

Plus I don't really ever buy games from different regions. But I really want Tropical Freeze at that price lol.

Oct 29, 2017
Just create an EU account to bounce between various EU regions, then a separate US account.

I pretty much only ever buy from EU as places like South Africa and Russia are usually cheaper than the US anyway so the vast majority of my games are under one account and collecting the gold coins.

Oct 25, 2017
I skimmed the thread quickly and searched using the general search and didn't see anything, so I figured I'd ask: Does anyone have impressions on Food Truck Tycoon? I know that it's only five bucks, but that's five bucks fewer that I'd have if I bought it and it wasn't great. The menus and ease of use and general UI matter quite a lot to me in sim games like this one, and I'm also wondering if the loop of maintaining profitability is engaging and interesting.

If I missed a good post about this game, my apologies.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm further into Wargroove and while I'm enjoying my time with it, it strikes me how overrated this game is in my opinion. The presentation is great, but the gameplay loop is basically a die and retry and the strategic aspect is overall not that great. I have the feeling that the game was calibrated to receive good reviews. I haven't played a Fire Emblem or an Advance Wars since the GBA episodes, but I remember the them to be quite different in that regard.
I'll finish the story mode but I have a feeling that I won't linger too long afterwards. Into The Breach remains the strategy boss on Switch and it's not even close.
Pretty much 1:1 with how I feel.

It's a good game, but not as amazing as I thought/hoped it'd be. I'm actually finding it more frustrating than anything else, which is odd because I also never felt that way about the Advance Wars games.

I'll wait to see how the new updates change the overall 'feel' of the game before I pass my final judgment on it but as of now, I'm not having fun.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Pretty much 1:1 with how I feel.

It's a good game, but not as amazing as I thought/hoped it'd be. I'm actually finding it more frustrating than anything else, which is odd because I also never felt that way about the Advance Wars games.

I'll wait to see how the new updates change the overall 'feel' of the game before I pass my final judgment on it but as of now, I'm not having fun.
That's a real bummer but I think I'll be skipping wargroove until the game is fully updated and at a discount. After reading a lot of impressions I feel like I will most probably end up disappointed by it.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I skimmed the thread quickly and searched using the general search and didn't see anything, so I figured I'd ask: Does anyone have impressions on Food Truck Tycoon? I know that it's only five bucks, but that's five bucks fewer that I'd have if I bought it and it wasn't great. The menus and ease of use and general UI matter quite a lot to me in sim games like this one, and I'm also wondering if the loop of maintaining profitability is engaging and interesting.

If I missed a good post about this game, my apologies.

I don't know how the game is, but I need to say that you are my hero of this month, because thanks to all your praise to 'Bombslinger', I purchased the game this week, even not being a big 'Bomberman' fan.

And it's currently in my TOP 5 of roguelites on the system.

The content is sparse, I miss more levels and bosses, but damn: how masterfully designed is this game.

Sometimes, with some enemies relying in a stealth approach, it feels like a roguelite version of a 2D 'Metal Gear', much more than 'Never Stop Sneakin'.

And the difficulty curve is so well balanced and the perks and upgrades are so interesting, that I can't stop playing this shit.

If it's not for all your praise through different threads, I could have skipped this.

Together with 'New Star Manager', my best eShop purchase in a long time.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Plus I don't mind the gold coins being in the EU region. Especially if it's like 2 dollars worth.

I have 19 dollars worth of gold coins in my account so I don't want to lose that at all haha.

Ok but remember I told you to switch to AUS region not one of the EU ones.
It's $6 cheaper on the AUS store compared to Italy's or Germany's (EURO coin stores have all the same prices, while Norway/Sweden/South Africa/Poland/Russia/Switzerland have all different currencies and prices.
If you link your main account to Paypal, you might (it's a case by case status, don't know if US-credit cards linked Paypal works on any eShop or just some... my spanish PP account for example works on every EU store + the mentioned AUS/RUS/SA/NOR/SWE/etc but not on the US/Canadian/JPN or Mexican eShops) be able to use it as a payment even when changing store region.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's $6 cheaper on the AUS store compared to Italy's or Germany's (EURO coin stores have all the same prices, while Norway/Sweden/South Africa/Poland/Russia/Switzerland have all different currencies and prices.
If you link your main account to Paypal, you might (it's a case by case status, don't know if US-credit cards linked Paypal works on any eShop or just some... my spanish PP account for example works on every EU store + the mentioned AUS/RUS/SA/NOR/SWE/etc but not on the US/Canadian/JPN or Mexican eShops) be able to use it as a payment even when changing store region.
Oh! I was going to buy it in England's region because it's on sale right now for about 43 dollars when converted to USD. I didn't know that AUS had it on sale too!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how the game is, but I need to say that you are my hero of this month, because thanks to all your praise to 'Bombslinger', I purchased the game this week, even not being a big 'Bomberman' fan.

The content is sparse, I miss more levels and bosses, but damn: how masterfully designed is this game.

Sometimes, with some enemies relying in a stealth approach, it feels like a roguelite version of a 2D 'Metal Gear', much more than 'Never Stop Sneakin'.

And the difficulty curve is so well balanced and the perks and upgrades are so interesting, that I can't stop playing this shit.

If it's not for all your praise through different threads, I could have skipped this.

Man, I'm so glad to hear that. I agree with you wholeheartedly about how short the game is. That is mitigated somewhat by the achievements/unlockables system, but I'd love to see a sequel with more enemy variety, more than seven bosses, and more than four locales.

Still, I agree that it's a fantastic SP game because the enemy variety is there to offer different play styles. You can absolutely run a setup that allows you to stealth your way through the game, but you can also create a setup focused on bombs or on firearms, and these runs feel much different from a stealthier run.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Seriously nobody took one for the team and grabbed RIOT CIVIL UNREST? ;)

What about more impressions for City of Brass and the quality of the Observer's port?

I really hope X-Morph is a god port because it's strangely appealing to me, looks great and Tower Defense + Shmup is a mash-up I never seen before... you can also choose to play co-op with each player handling one aspect of gameplay (so me blowing up shit and my buddy handling TD!) or even focusing on just only TD or only Shmup in single player.
Don't care much about reviews but it sits at 80% average on Steam/PS4.... wish it was on game pass so I could try it first but what I'm worried is performance because visually it seems decently demanding

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Man, I'm so glad to hear that. I agree with you wholeheartedly about how short the game is. That is mitigated somewhat by the achievements/unlockables system, but I'd love to see a sequel with more enemy variety, more than seven bosses, and more than four locales.

Still, I agree that it's a fantastic SP game because the enemy variety is there to offer different play styles. You can absolutely run a setup that allows you to stealth your way through the game, but you can also create a setup focused on bombs or on firearms, and these runs feel much different from a stealthier run.

I can live with only 7 bosses, because they are PURE GOLD.

k8PhW1G.jpg

7TRfh4W.jpg

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

What about more impressions for City of Brass and the quality of the Observer's port?

I really hope X-Morph is a god port because it's strangely appealing to me, looks great and Tower Defense + Shmup is a mash-up I never seen before... you can also choose to play co-op with each player handling one aspect of gameplay (so me blowing up shit and my buddy handling TD!) or even focusing on just only TD or only Shmup in single player.
Don't care much about reviews but it sits at 80% average on Steam/PS4.... wish it was on game pass so I could try it first but what I'm worried is performance because visually it seems decently demanding
City of Brass looks like a real love it or hate game that runs fine on Switch. I don't have the time to try out a game like that atm. I have been interested in it for awhile since I saw the Giantbomb quicklook last year.

It looks like they improved on the game a lot since initial release but it may not quite be the gameplay loop people wanted or expected.

This is one of those one where I'd recommend reading user/steam reviews and parsing it out with video.

If it was $5ish cheaper I'd bite. I was hoping to see it on gamepass first so i could try it

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Oh okay! This sounds a lot better. But out of curiosity, wouldn't I be able to just purchase them online through my laptop once I switch regions? Or do I HAVE to buy them on the Switch console?
One time, I switched my region to Japan to grab a free demo from the Japanese eShop.

The second time, I bought a digital download code from Amazon Japan, switched my region to Japan, then used the Japanese eShop to redeem the code (the US eShop wouldn't take it).

Make of that as you will.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
One time, I switched my region to Japan to grab a free demo from the Japanese eShop.

The second time, I bought a digital download code from Amazon Japan, switched my region to Japan, then used the Japanese eShop to redeem the code (the US eShop wouldn't take it).

Make of that as you will.
But can't you buy directly from Nintendo's eShop page online? I've bought some games that way. I assumed that other regions would have a store accessible from a PC/laptop as well.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone else buy Odallus and not have it show up on your playlog after playing?

It also doesn't show me as "online and playing" it either. Just says offline.

Really strange.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018

I've played a few hours of City of Brass. It feels a bit like Immortal Redneck with less verticality (which isn't such a bad thing to me). You're outside a lot of the time, though, which is a nice change of pace from dark dungeons. The whip and sword are a lot of fun and add a ton of character to the game making it more enjoyable than if it just had guns. I believe there are other characters with different loadouts but I haven't gotten that far yet. You can do some clever things with the whip: pulling the weapon out of an enemy's hand, dropping them on the ground by whipping their legs or stunning them. Most of my runs have been very short as the game plants brutal traps all over the place - especially floor-mounted impalers that I seem to overlook regularly. It requires you to pay attention to your surroundings and punishes you harshly when you don't. The loot is underwhelming thus far - it's all purchased from genies who present at most 3 options. I bought an upgraded whip and armor a few times but honestly couldn't tell any difference. I do enjoy finding and collecting all of the generic loot that adds to your gold (which you use to pay genies) and there are some neat hidden treasure rooms. I bought City of Brass at 10% pre-purchase discount but I'd recommend waiting for a bigger sale.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Anyone else buy Odallus and not have it show up on your playlog after playing?

It also doesn't show me as "online and playing" it either. Just says offline.

Really strange.

Some games were released with this same bug, because the developers forget to check this option before sending the game to Nintendo.

'Strikers 1945' and 'Ninja Striker' suffered this problem, and they were latter patched.

Giving that more additions like remappable buttons are coming in a future patch, I suppose that this will be fixed.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
You're Spanish too? There's some overrepresentation of Spanish going on in this thread :P

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

I only now managed to do more than an hour of Observer :-)
So far things look quite good. It's funny, every time I hit what seems to be some Switch artifact it just turns out
I need to give myself another injection (in the game...)
Added: Based on what I've played so far (which isn't much though, I'm a slooow player and take my time exploring) this will be a pretty good game.

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna post about how I beat Tangledeep and how great of an experience it was and the game crashed literally on the "the end" screen. I can't believe this lmao.

Edit: Oh it saved my progress, it's all good. PHEW.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm further into Wargroove and while I'm enjoying my time with it, it strikes me how overrated this game is in my opinion. The presentation is great, but the gameplay loop is basically a die and retry and the strategic aspect is overall not that great. I have the feeling that the game was calibrated to receive good reviews. I haven't played a Fire Emblem or an Advance Wars since the GBA episodes, but I remember the them to be quite different in that regard.
I'll finish the story mode but I have a feeling that I won't linger too long afterwards. Into The Breach remains the strategy boss on Switch and it's not even close.
Yeah, as soon as I started hearing that the game was just an exercise in tedium the further into the campaign you got, with cheap tactics and scenarios where one wrong move meant an hour of lost progress, my interest dropped to 0%. Will wait it out to see if/how it gets tuned over time, and then I might give it a go.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
City of Brass looks like a real love it or hate game that runs fine on Switch. I don't have the time to try out a game like that atm. I have been interested in it for awhile since I saw the Giantbomb quicklook last year.

It looks like they improved on the game a lot since initial release but it may not quite be the gameplay loop people wanted or expected.

This is one of those one where I'd recommend reading user/steam reviews and parsing it out with video.

If it was $5ish cheaper I'd bite. I was hoping to see it on gamepass first so i could try it

Thanks! And yes, I do the same (using Game Pass to check out games I might be interested in buying on the Switch).

I've played a few hours of City of Brass. It feels a bit like Immortal Redneck with less verticality (which isn't such a bad thing to me). You're outside a lot of the time, though, which is a nice change of pace from dark dungeons. The whip and sword are a lot of fun and add a ton of character to the game making it more enjoyable than if it just had guns. I believe there are other characters with different loadouts but I haven't gotten that far yet. You can do some clever things with the whip: pulling the weapon out of an enemy's hand, dropping them on the ground by whipping their legs or stunning them. Most of my runs have been very short as the game plants brutal traps all over the place - especially floor-mounted impalers that I seem to overlook regularly. It requires you to pay attention to your surroundings and punishes you harshly when you don't. The loot is underwhelming thus far - it's all purchased from genies who present at most 3 options. I bought an upgraded whip and armor a few times but honestly couldn't tell any difference. I do enjoy finding and collecting all of the generic loot that adds to your gold (which you use to pay genies) and there are some neat hidden treasure rooms. I bought City of Brass at 10% pre-purchase discount but I'd recommend waiting for a bigger sale.

Great post, appreciate it! I'll wait for a 50%off discount or/and watch more videos of it in the meantime and see if it makes me want to cave in earlier than that :)

You're Spanish too? There's some overrepresentation of Spanish going on in this thread :P

haha, nope I'm Italian but I live in Tenerife :)

Ooh crap yeah I didn't think about this either.
Isn't it only possible to link your account once though? To a My Nintendo account I mean. I remember a lot of people talking about that months ago.

Mate you're waaaay overthinking it. Believe me I gave you all the info you need and more :D Just do it, now it's time to just go try and see if your PP or CC works. ^_^
I can't speak for your bank's rates but with PayPal at worst you'll save a couple $ less because of their less than optimal conversion.
Every €20 I usually "lose" about €0.80 on currency conversion from € to South African Rand when using my credit card (there's no PP option on the SA store) or €0.70 if converting to Australian dollars using PayPal's, to name two.
Also afaik there is an AUS web eShop (tho I never used it) but the process means you can only access it after changing region on the Nintendo account web page AND confirm the change by inputting your account password again and accessing the eShop through your Switch console first.

...tho I mean what's the matter even if there was no web eShop just buy it directly on the Switch mate

I only now managed to do more than an hour of Observer :-)
So far things look quite good. It's funny, every time I hit what seems to be some Switch artifact it just turns out
I need to give myself another injection (in the game...)
Added: Based on what I've played so far (which isn't much though, I'm a slooow player and take my time exploring) this will be a pretty good game.

Thanks! Keep the impressions coming please!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yeah, as soon as I started hearing that the game was just an exercise in tedium the further into the campaign you got, with cheap tactics and scenarios where one wrong move meant an hour of lost progress, my interest dropped to 0%. Will wait it out to see if/how it gets tuned over time, and then I might give it a go.

Did they specifically say that they would improve/alter the mechanics of the game? I played again last night and I'm done with it for now. I hate not finishing a game but I'm in the middle of Act 3 and it's just not fun. Unless the game is improved, I prefer to go back to into the breach.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Did they specifically say that they would improve/alter the mechanics of the game? I played again last night and I'm done with it for now. I hate not finishing a game but I'm in the middle of Act 3 and it's just not fun. Unless the game is improved, I prefer to go back to into the breach.

This is the main reason of why I haven't purchased 'Wargroove' yet.

It was my most anticipated title in 2017.

But then, 'Into the Breach' happened.

A game with the same spirit of 'Advanced Wars', but pushing the design in turn based games forward.

I will buy at some point, because is one of the genres in which I want to complete a collection with all the games released.

But from games that I missed the last month, I still have higher priorities.

Like 'Don't Sink', that seems 'Oregon Trail' with ships and with a superb pixel art.

Or 'Necrosphere Deluxe', that seems in a 'VVVVVVV' tier, regarding bit-sized open world platformers.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I bought The Labyrinth of Refrain, Infernium and Downwell recently and thankfully, all games turned out to be great. They were impulse buys so I am relieved that I actually enjoy them. They will last me until Mortal Kombat/Yoshi.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'd love the into the breach Devs to be approached by Nintendo to do an advanced wars game.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
This is the main reason of why I haven't purchased 'Wargroove' yet.

It was my most anticipated title in 2017.

But then, 'Into the Breach' happened.

A game with the same spirit of 'Advanced Wars', but pushing the design in turn based games forward.

I will buy at some point, because is one of the genres in which I want to complete a collection with all the games released.

But from games that I missed the last month, I still have higher priorities.

Like 'Don't Sink', that seems 'Oregon Trail' with ships and with a superb pixel art.

Or 'Necrosphere Deluxe', that seems in a 'VVVVVVV' tier, regarding bit-sized open world platformers.

Don't Sink is also in my wishlist, I'm just waiting for a sale to buy it because I don't have time to play it right now.
Wargroove has many things to like and does everything right to receive good ratings, but I really feel that the game's mechanics are either dated or just not that good.

Last edited:

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I haven't played Wargroove, but I get the feeling it's one of those "oh-great-this-feels-like-[classicgame]", which always makes me wonder "why the hell am I playing this instead of [classicgame]?"

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I haven't played Wargroove, but I get the feeling it's one of those "oh-great-this-feels-like-[classicgame]", which always makes me wonder "why the hell am I playing this instead of [classicgame]?"

Wargroove was supposed to indeed get its inspiration from classic turn based strategy games, but it was also expected to bring its own twists to the formula along with an incredible amount of content. It seems to fully deliver on both these aspects, but to me, the issue lies in the core mechanics of the game; I don't see any other to describe it than die and retry, and for a strategy game, that's just not fun.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Is NSM similar to New Star Soccer? That game was addictive.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Is NSM similar to New Star Soccer? That game was addictive.

It's made by the same team, as a short of spinoff of 'New Star Soccer'.

Think in a much less complex version of 'Football Manager' only centered in the fun parts, with the action sections of 'New Star Soccer', but with an added layer of tactics.

For me, they have created something truly special, with a distinctive flavor that I have never found in other soccer management games.

Plus the Switch port is brilliant: a great UI, touch controls, rebalanced gameplay, new additions respect to the Steam version, great controller integration for the action parts, an amazing tutorial teaching you all the fundamentals and introducing each new concept in a comprehensive way for newcomers...

It's slowly escalating to an 'Into the Breach' tier as one my favorite games in Switch.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's made by the same team, as a short of spinoff of 'New Star Soccer'.

Think in a much less complex version of 'Football Manager' only centered in the fun parts, with the action sections of 'New Star Soccer', but with an added layer of tactics.

For me, they have created something truly special, with a distinctive flavor that I have never found in other soccer management games.

Plus the Switch port is brilliant: a great UI, touch controls, rebalanced gameplay, new additions respect to the Steam version, great controller integration for the action parts, an amazing tutorial teaching you all the fundamentals and introducing each new concept in a comprehensive way for newcomers...

It's slowly escalating to an 'Into the Breach' tier as one my favorite games in Switch.

You told me everything I wanted to hear. thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Here's something that might have gotten buried amidst the large amount of releases last week: I just noticed that Guacamelee 2 is now alternatively available as Guacamelee 2 Complete, which includes the base game and two DLC packs. I see it on sale in NA right now, so at the moment, Complete actually costs less than the base game alone.

I'm quite far into Wargroove and I have a lot to say about it for those interested, but I want to hold off on writing about it until I'm done with the campaign, which should be soon. But I have to say, as a serious turn-based strategy player who was looking forward to Wargroove's original spin on the genre, that while I respect a lot of what it does, I'm starting to see it as a fairly major letdown. The designers seemed to focus all their care and attention on making the units interesting at the micro level (movement, combat, abilities, interactions), but completely dropped the ball on the macro side of the game (economy, unit construction, pricing, building placement), and this weakness is amplified by the blandness of the campaign maps. I've refrained from being too judgemental of of the game, as I hoped that I was just pushing through tutorial stages and the maps would get better in the later acts; but I've come to realize that its economy/unit-building layer is fundamentally flawed in a way that negatively impacts the single-player map design, and once I'm done, I want to write up a proper analysis of this (if I have time). Maybe the last few missions will turn my opinion around, but we'll see.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
More Japanese doujin studios of the PC scene, continue arriving to Switch.

This is pretty big news, as it's the most well known and important doujin circle in Western countries, Astro Port:

'Gigantic Army', a spiritual successor to 'Cybernator' ('Assault Suits Valken' in Japan), is coming to Switch this 21th February.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on these two games from the same dev, Odallus and Oniken or whatever?

They look kinda cool, but...not sure.

This is pretty big news, as it's the most well known and important doujin circle in Western countries, Astro Port:

'Gigantic Army', a spiritual successor to 'Cybernator' ('Assault Suits Valken' in Japan), is coming to Switch this 21th February.

Also this looks really fuckin' rad.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

that looks great and I am now tempted

Any word on these two games from the same dev, Odallus and Oniken or whatever?

They look kinda cool, but...not sure.

Also this looks really fuckin' rad.

Uh there are a ton of posts in this thread on both and last months thread as well as steam reviews and reviews in general.

I think on average people want different control schemes for Oniken and maybe Odallus. I played both on Pc. Solid games and generally fun. Odallus was getting confused as a Castlevania homage when in reality its not.

I thought Odallus is the better lf the two