Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just catching up on the past few days posts here, I now see that I missed a 50% pre-order discount for Gabbuchi. :(

Ah well, my list of potential purchases right now is too long as it is, so I'll this'll go on the list to buy when we see that discount returning. Still weighing up:
Tangledeep
Halycon 6
Reverie
Snake Pass
(60% discount)
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

(Wargroove and Thea: The Awakening already bought)

Re: Snake Pass

If you think you might enjoy Snake Pass, I want to give it a hearty recommendation. It's one of my favorite games of recent years. Here's my LTTP I wrote about it, some mild spoilers. In a nutshell I loved the game and once you get comfortable with the controls it is an incredibly engaging and cleverly designed game. A lot of the fun is in obtaining the tricky collectibles.

Man, I am so pleased with this game... when I first heard about it I was quite eager and then I saw the control scheme and thought to myself, "I am really never going to get the hang of that." I watched the "how to play" video at the time but knew I wasn't going to be playing it very soon so expected there to be a significant learning curve and figured I'd give it a go when it went on sale. Sure enough it was on sale a few weeks back and when we wrapped up our latest progress towards 100%'ing Spot Goes to Hollywood (GOAT isometric platformer), we decided to get it a shot.

It was a rough go at the beginning, I can say. The regular controls have a steep learning curve to them. I tried to remember what I'd seen in the video and in posts by wonderful people like Wozman23 and Neiteio, and to pay close attention to the game's very reasonable tutorial level, but I really struggled to wrap my head around the controls of wrapping the snake around a post.

After a few levels, something clicked and now I absolutely love the game. I think going for each collectible in every level before going on to the next level made the learning curve more difficult but also much much more doable in the long run. The collectibles are also some of the greatest fun to be had in the 7 or so levels we've played so far. I feel like I got more proficient at vertical poles then horizontal poles. I figure it will depend person to person on how their mind carries out spatial reasoning or something. I still have some trouble with movement at times but I really feel like I'm getting there and with its beautifully unique control scheme I feel like I'm learning a new skill or new way to use my brain or something, it's difficult to put into words.

On the whole, I'm finding the game to be a relaxing almost zen-like experience. The level design is genius and diverse and it has a great feel of a modern collectathon to it.

The music is amazing, too, and I never get sick of it even playing a course for an hour. Also the game itself is lovely on the Switch docked, and the characters are adorable and excellently designed.

I hear it's great but only like 4 hours to beat so that made me hold off on purchasing

Re: Unruly Heroes

There are some additional impressions in this thread, especially on pages 2 and 3, if you're interested:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unruly-heroes-launch-trailer-game-by-ex-rayman-devs-out-now.95227/

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Re: Unruly Heroes

There are some additional impressions in this thread, especially on pages 2 and 3, if you're interested:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unruly-heroes-launch-trailer-game-by-ex-rayman-devs-out-now.95227/[/QUOTE]

I will check this thanks :) I LOVED Rayman Origins/Legends so this piqued my interest.

Anyone played Legrand Legacy on Switch? Wondering if it's smooth performance. I want the game as long as it's not a frame dropping screen tearing long load time stuttering mess lol.

Also buying Tangledeep, Outrun, and Wargroove tonight. Think I am nearing 200 games WTF is going ok with the Switch lol. Still shocked that Ninty went from no 3rd party support in the past, to a weekly avalanche deluge of games and now devs actively targeting games to release on Switch and selling most on Switch wow. I absolutely love it and apparently have a problem as I cannot stop buying games!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played Legrand Legacy on Switch? Wondering if it's smooth performance. I want the game as long as it's not a frame dropping screen tearing long load time stuttering mess lol.

The Switch version does have some problems compared to the PC version. It's generally very snappy, except for battle load times, which are slightly too long in general, but can get up to ~10 seconds. I'm not particularly FPS sensitive, but it's mostly smooth to my eye with rare stuttering, except one late game area which is spiky.

It's a decent game overall, and ambitious for an indie. If you're craving a PS2-era turn-based JRPG, this will give you that exact fix — the good, the bad, and the unrefined. The script is quite stilted, and not totally proofread, but still manages to be engaging and endearing.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version does have some problems compared to the PC version. It's generally very snappy, except for battle load times, which are slightly too long in general, but can get up to ~10 seconds. I'm not particularly FPS sensitive, but it's mostly smooth to my eye with rare stuttering, except one late game area which is spiky.

It's a decent game overall, and ambitious for an indie. If you're craving a PS2-era turn-based JRPG, this will give you that exact fix — the good, the bad, and the unrefined. The script is quite stilted, and not totally proofread, but still manages to be engaging and endearing.
Are you playing it off the internal memory or a SD card? It shouldn't be a difference, but I have definitely noticed some games on the internal memory are load faster which is all the more infuriating they cheaped out so much there.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing it off the internal memory or a SD card? It shouldn't be a difference, but I have definitely noticed some games on the internal memory are load faster which is all the more infuriating they cheaped out so much there.

Playing off mSD card, not internal storage. Unfortunately I'm also in bad internet land, so I can't redownload it to test.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Ok thanks for the quick response -I own on PC but always looking for comfy couch options lol. I'll stick with the PC version If battle loads are that long

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 04 - Magic Nations - PrimeBit Games - $3.00 - 231 MB *NA*
    --
  • 05 - Avenger Bird - Ultimate Games - $2.30/€1.99 - 144 MB
  • 05 - The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 - THQ Nordic - $29.99/€29.99 - 6.3 GB
  • 05 - The Path of Motus - Michael Hicks - $14.99/€11.99 (Preorder sale: $12.74/€10.19) - 622 MB
    --
  • 07 - Away: Journey to the Unexpected - Playdius/Plug In Digital - $16.99/€16.99 - 6.0 GB
  • 07 - Riot: Civil Unrest - Merge Games - $19.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: $16.99/€16.99) - 1.3 GB
  • 07 - Evoland: Legendary Edition - Shiro Games - $19.99/€19.99 - 967 MB
  • 07 - Defense Grid 2 - Hidden Path Ent. - $19.99/€16.79 (Preorder sale: $17.99/€15.11) - 770 MB
  • 07 - Reverie: Sweet As Edition - Rainbite - $12.99/€12.99 - 283 MB
  • 07 - Magic Scroll Tactics - Mediascape - $11.99/€9.99 - 426 MB
  • 07 - Observer - Bloober Team - $29.99/€29.99 - 18 GB
  • 07 - Solstice Chronicles: MIA - Circle Ent. - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.0 GB
  • 07 - The Stillness of the Wind - Fellow Traveller - $12.99/€11.49 (Preorder sale: €9.76) - 736 MB
  • 07 - Sky Gamblers: Afterburner - Atypical Games - $19.99/€16.99 - 2.4 GB
  • 07 - Pocket Academy - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 194 MB
  • 07 - Pumped BMX Pro - Curve Digital - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.7 GB
  • 07 - Estiman - Arts Alliance - $1.99/€1.99 - 140 MB
  • 07 - Mercury Race - Herrero - $7.99/€7.99 - 671 MB
  • 07 - Gnomes Garden: New Home - 8Floor Games - €4.99 - 353 MB
  • 07 - Percy's Predicament Deluxe - $5.99 - 620 MB
    --
  • 08 - Oniken: Unstoppable Edition - Digerati - $9.99/€9.99 - 60 MB
  • 08 - Odallus: The Dark Call - Digerati - $11.99/€11.99 - 59 MB
  • 08 - City of Brass - Uppercut Games - $19.99/€14.99 - 1.4 GB
  • 08 - Glass Masquerade - Digerati - $11.99/€11.99 - 503 MB
  • 08 - Doom & Destiny - Heartbit - $11.99/€11.99 - 486 MB
  • 08 - Blazblue CentralFiction Special Edition - PQube - $49.99/€39.99 - 11.7 GB
  • 08 - Monster Energy Supercross: The Official Videogame 2 - Milestone - $59.99/€59.99 - 4.1 GB
  • 08 - Access Denied - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 131 MB
  • 08 - Stunt Kite Party - HandyGames - $9.99/€9.99 - 902 MB
  • 08 - Food Truck Tycoon - Baltoro Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Preorder sale: $3.49/€3.49) - 100 MB
  • 08 - 99 Moves - EnjoyUp Games - $2.99/€2.99 - 121 MB

Japan
  • 07 - Alvastia Senki - Kemco - ¥1,296
  • 07 - Touhou Genso Maroku W - Mediascape - ¥3,000
  • 07 - Captain Star One - Flyhigh Works - ¥1,000

Nintendo 3DS
  • 05 - Etrian Odyssey Nexus - Atlus/Sega - $39.99/€39.99
  • 08 - Yo-kai Watch 3 - Level 5/Nintendo - $39.99 *NA*

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
After a brave fight against the urge to buy Ittle Dew 2+, I caved and bought it at the final day of sale. Price was good, but I'm short on cash... well, I loved the first game, so I think I won't regret this.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Wasn't V-rally supposed to come this week to the US eshop?
I wonder if i got the date wrong or it was delayed.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
After a brave fight against the urge to buy Ittle Dew 2+, I caved and bought it at the final day of sale. Price was good, but I'm short on cash... well, I loved the first game, so I think I won't regret this.

Would be great to read impressions if you have the time to post them. I've been close to getting it so many times now.

Oct 25, 2017
I just need to give a heads up to everyone that Iron Fisticle Crypticle is coming out on Feb 13.
4 player couch co-op, top down arcade action.
It's an upgraded version of Iron Fisticle which was released on Steam a few years back.

tabino

Jan 21, 2018
I bought the way remastered yesterday for 0.99€ (lol)
It seems Nice so far, I like the soundtrack.

83% discount is Wtf.
I bought it last year with the same big discount and I really liked it.

Just be careful because my save got corrupted due to a bug 2 hours into the game. I thought it was fixed but apparently it wasnt.
You can check it out here how to prevent it.
https://nintendoeverything.com/the-way-remastered-dev-warns-players-about-a-game-breaking-bug/

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Here to recommend Magicat, where every stage has a unique hook that evolves as the stage goes on and every level has a boss where that hook is used. Some are duds, most so far are pretty good and it's cheap at 5!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
For once, nothing for me this week. Thank God.

Well, apart from >observer_, but I ain't got €30 to spend right now.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
You guys, if you are into Mystery Dungeon or roguelikes in general, definitely give Tangledeep a try; this game is fantastic. I'm a big fan of MD style roguelikes and this is such a treat. Not only it nails the core fundamentals, but adds a couple of elements that I'm also a big fan of but never expected to see in a game like this, such as monster catching, a job system and even item worlds (like in Disgaea).

I'm still not quite sure how well these will work with permadeath, as I'm like 5 hours into Heroic Mode (standard, intended difficulty) and haven't died yet. But if worst comes to worst I guess I'll just go for Adventure. Still I'm seriously loving this; the many passive and active abilities from job add SO MUCH to customization and the turn-based nature of the gameplay... I'm playing a monk-type character and I can do stuff like throw ki blasts from afar, use a skill that grants me an extra turn where only I can move that helps me get out of tight situations, launch enemies blocks away with a special punch ability... And this is just with ONE job. You can change jobs and retain your learned abilities, it's amazing.

Game is pretty lenient too. You can go back to the hub village whenever you please by activating a escape spell that takes 10 turns (I think it was 10) to cast, so as long as the coast is clear, you can leave and then go back to the same floor no problem. The game uses an estus flask-esque healing item that's replenished (and expanded) by finding fountains during gameplay; you can hoard as many as 25 of these (I think even more but with restrictions) on top of regular, consumable healing items you can find or buy, so the game is extremely fair.

It has a very interesting humor too, lmao:

Yes! It really is a beautiful, extremely well-made game. So glad to see people getting into it.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Would be great to read impressions if you have the time to post them. I've been close to getting it so many times now.

Sure!

For once, nothing for me this week. Thank God.

Well, apart from >observer_, but I ain't got €30 to spend right now.

This >observer_ video released a few days ago got me interested in the game:

Very intriguing. I'll wait for a sale, but I'm eager to hear what my fellow ERA friends think of the game.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I finally watched the trailer for Away and it is not anything like I imagined!

myncy

May 15, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Oh man I didn't realize Etrian Odyssey was this week and I'm both incredibly hyped and worried it will take me even longer to get through KH3 now.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Saw Zombie Panic in Wonderland and I mistook it for a remake of Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ and was excited for a second, then I watched the trailer and was reminded that they are very different titles.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Zombie Panic in Wonderland and I mistook it for a remake of Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ and was excited for a second, then I watched the trailer and was reminded that they are very different titles.
If I remember correctly, there's actually a relation between those two games, I just don't remember what it is. I think some of the developers are there same, maybe? I do remember pre-release promotion of the original WiiWare release bringing up Zombie BBQ a lot.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If I remember correctly, there's actually a relation between those two games, I just don't remember what it is. I think some of the developers are there same, maybe? I do remember pre-release promotion of the original WiiWare release bringing up Zombie BBQ a lot.
That's surprising looks like the lead programmer worked on both.

Still, a shame the trailer wasn't what I was expecting.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews of Reverie Sweet As Edition are popping up, here's a couple of fairly glowing ones:

https://miketendo64.com/2019/02/03/switch-review-reverie-sweet-as-edition/

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/am0mfw/reverie_sweet_as_edition_review/

Seems Zelda-y with an Earthbound aesthetic. Anyone play prior versions?

reverie_20180605112543-e1528480138853.jpg

reverie_20180608113728-e1528479722423.jpg

reverie_20180605112543-e1528480138853.jpg[Img]

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
'New Star Manager' is one of the most entertaining experiences that I have had with a soccer game.

It's basically an accesible and less overwhelming version of 'Football Manager', but it does a lot of creative things, having its own flavor and personality.

The main difference respect to 'Football Manager' is that while the match is playing, you will be able to control the decisive goal opportunities.

And these action sections feel very close to 'Valkyria Chronicles'. they are in real time, but every time that a player receives the ball, the time will freeze.

While the action is paused, you have an option to play like a traditional turn based game, by selecting to what player you want to pass the ball, and even selecting the trajectory of this player by drawing a line with a stick.

But you can also decide to take control of player in real time, like in an arcade soccer game.

This mix of a turn based strategy game with the players serving as "living units" like in 'Valkyria Chronicles' works surprisingly well.

And it creates an addictive loop between the matches.

Also, the management of the most important sections is inspired in a card RPG, in which you need to build and manage your own deck.

And these cards will affect your players in the match.

So you need to create a strategy to obtain new cards, but you also need to carefully manage these cards into each match.

At the same time, the game is much less complex than 'Football Manager'.

Instead of creating the most realistic management soccer, they have tried to create the MOST FUN management soccer game.

It's incredibly easy to pick, it has great tutorials, the UI is brilliantly designed and it works in a great way, it doesn't matter if you try to play this with a touch interface or with a controller.

The production values are much better than in 'Football Manager'. Instead of feeling like you are reading a spreadsheet, it feels like a video game.

It even has a small city builder section in the vein of 'Sim City' in which you need to upgrade your stadium and its facilities.

I recommend this game to anyone interested in a more accesible and less time consuming version of 'Football Manager'.

But even if you like 'Football Manager', I think that 'New Star Manager' does the things in such a different way, that it's a perfect complement to the other game.

Highly recommended, and one of my personal favorites of January.

Last edited:

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, what's going on with Odallus? Looks like it's going to force on you a really wonky-looking crt filter, with an heavy cromatic aberration effect and super-wacky uneven scanlines.

What the hell? Like, i love old tv shaders, but this is so ugly that I don't even get it.

Layth

Oct 27, 2017
Disgaea 5 being 25% off is tempting but I already have Into The Breach, Mario & Rabbids, and more recently Wargroove.

Nov 8, 2017
'New Star Manager' is one of the most entertaining experiences that I have had with a soccer game.

It's basically an accesible and less overwhelming version of 'Football Manager', but it does a lot of creative things, having its own flavor and personality.

The main difference respect to 'Football Manager' is that while the match is playing, you will be able to control the decisive goal opportunities.

And these action sections feel very close to 'Valkyria Chronicles'. they are in real time, but every time that a player receives the ball, the time will freeze.

While the action is paused, you have an option to play like a traditional turn based game, by selecting to what player you want to pass the ball, and even selecting the trajectory of this player by drawing a line with a stick.

But you can also decide to take control of player in real time, like in an arcade soccer game.

This mix of a turn based strategy game with the players serving as "living units" like in 'Valkyria Chronicles' works surprisingly well.

And it creates an addictive loop between the matches.

Also, the management of the most important sections is inspired in a card RPG, in which you need to build and manage your own deck.

And these cards will affect your players in the match.

So you need to create a strategy to obtain new cards, but you also need to carefully manage these cards into each match.

At the same time, the game is much less complex than 'Football Manager'.

Instead of creating the most realistic management soccer, they have tried to create the MOST FUN management soccer game.

It's incredibly easy to pick, it has great tutorials, the UI is brilliantly designed and it works in a great way, it doesn't matter if you try to play this with a touch interface or with a controller.

The production values are much better than in 'Football Manager'. Instead of feeling like you are reading a spreadsheet, it feels like a video game.

It even has a small city builder section in the vein of 'Sim City' in which you need to upgrade your stadium and its facilities.

I recommend this game to anyone interested in a more accesible and less time consuming version of 'Football Manager'.

But even if you like 'Football Manager', I think that 'New Star Manager' does the things in such a different way, that it's a perfect complement to the other game.

Highly recommended, and one of my personal favorites of January.

New Star Manager is solid. I didn't realize it was a thing - and I couldn't pass up spending $0 on it to play on my iPhone.

I'd be more than down to support the dev...but I'm waiting for a price drop.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
New Star Manager is solid. I didn't realize it was a thing - and I couldn't pass up spending $0 on it to play on my iPhone.

I'd be more than down to support the dev...but I'm waiting for a price drop.

The iOS version has in app purchases and it's designed as a pay 2 win title.

I prefer to pay 20 dollars for a game only to have the ads and de microtransactions removed, and a traditional balance in which you can win only by relying in your skills.

The game is superb, and I think that deserves the price tag in Switch, same as in its Steam version.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Disgaea 5 being 25% off is tempting but I already have Into The Breach, Mario & Rabbids, and more recently Wargroove.

FYI there's at least 100 hours of game in Disgaea 5. You can beat the "main campaign" in around 35 if you know what you're doing and utilize the cheat shop the way it was meant to be utilized. The main campaign, however, is more of a tutorial than anything else. The post-game in Disgaea 5 is Binding of Isaac levels of ridiculous.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, what's going on with Odallus? Looks like it's going to force on you a really wonky-looking crt filter, with an heavy cromatic aberration effect and super-wacky uneven scanlines.

What the hell? Like, i love old tv shaders, but this is so ugly that I don't even get it.

Wait till you play it, I posted in another thread but the controls suck. A jump, Y attack and you can't switch.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Garou Mark of the Wolves, Magical Drop III, Metal Slug 3 and X, Puzzle Bobble, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, Samurai Shodown IV, The King of Fighters 98, The Last Blade II. And maybe someday Hamster will be nice enough to give us Baseball Stars 2...

Are the arcade modes on those NeoGeo fighting games substantial enough that I'll have fun by myself, or are they better for multiplayer? Thinking about getting Last Blade II or Garou.

Layth

Oct 27, 2017
FYI there's at least 100 hours of game in Disgaea 5. You can beat the "main campaign" in around 35 if you know what you're doing and utilize the cheat shop the way it was meant to be utilized. The main campaign, however, is more of a tutorial than anything else. The post-game in Disgaea 5 is Binding of Isaac levels of ridiculous.

You sold me on it. Downloading Disgaea 5 now. Thanks!