Status
Not open for further replies.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
If you enjoy narrative based games, I have to recommend Half Past Fate. Picked it up on sale recently and loved it. Great characters, good writing, beautiful sprite work, lovely music. I don't have any complaints. And if you enjoy it like me, a DLC based on the pandemic was recently released.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So DQXI was my first DQ ever... I REALLY loved it... How are those Switch ports for 1,2 and 3? Obviously different games since they are SNES (or NES? Not sure) but I'm curious.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, maybe Capcom Arcade Stadium will get a date & price tomorrow, or hell, maybe it'll come out Thursday along with that new Ghosts 'n Goblins.

I'm mainly just excited for the next Smash character & maybe the reveal of Great Ace Attorney.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
How come I knew nothing about
YUPPIE PSYCHO?
I'm really enjoying it, but I'm a sucker for weird games. The pixel art of the cutscenes/portraits is bonkers! I wish they went a different aesthetic for the main pixel art simply because it's overused but overall the two styles mesh well and give it a fantastic look imo. So far I'm loving the narrative and the characters, tho there's been basically zero gameplay so far I don't mind. If you appreciate this kind of games you should give it a look, it's by the Count Lucanor guys but that felt amateurish compared to YP. On NSW it's the "Executive Edition", it includes the DLC expansion and it's currently on sale for 30%off iirc.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
So DQXI was my first DQ ever... I REALLY loved it... How are those Switch ports for 1,2 and 3? Obviously different games since they are SNES (or NES? Not sure) but I'm curious.
they're alright... i dont love the art style much since they're based on mobile ports i believe. i played a bit of 3 on switch, and it looked alot better than 1 though. if you have a 3DS lying around id go hunt for 4, 5, and 8.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
THE RETURN OF THE OBRA DINN that lasted for... a whole day! Has that ever happened before/since, a 1 day-only sale discount? And of course it has never been discounted since, lol

Same here. I was super pissed I missed that sale. Been waiting forever on that one, holding off on Steam for Switvh and then a sale.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Wait, so XCom2 port is popoo on NSW? :(

After suffering Enemy Unknown on iPad Mini 1 back in the day I don't want to suffer thru "molasses" Xcom ever again, but X2 is a great game and I'd love to have it portable to finally give it the time it deserves.

Impressions on performance? Handheld only.

Hmm, maybe Capcom Arcade Stadium will get a date & price tomorrow, or hell, maybe it'll come out Thursday along with that new Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Sure hope that Capcom Arcade Stadium gets shadowdropped tomorrow, gonna grab all 3 packs... god... Progearrrrrrrr!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

After suffering Enemy Unknown on iPad Mini 1 back in the day I don't want to suffer thru "molasses" Xcom ever again, but X2 is a great game and I'd love to have it portable to finally give it the time it deserves.

several posts previously have said it doesn't run great of course but it's fine and since it's turn based not a real issue anyway. it's "fine" but not great.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Olija is fantastic! Everything about it just hit so right with me. Great atmosphere and sound design. The combat wasn't difficult, but was designed in a way that made me feel like a total badass when I was fighting. It wasn't particularly long, but also didn't overstay its welcome. I really appreciated the way the story was presented as well. I would highly recommend Olija to others.

I always find the inbuilt speakers on my Switch Lite quite feeble for some games, but good grief! The sound design in Olija is superb — every surface has a unique 'sound', and throwing the harpoon around gives off a satisfying echoey clang noise.

I love the brief harmonious music when you save a sailor too.

I know it's only February, but it is my Game of the Year so far!

If you happen to be looking for some other high quality short Switch action/adventures, Gato Roboto and Kero Blaster occupy a similar space in my mind.

Thank you for those two recommendations!

I'd happily play short but sweet games like Olija for the rest of my life ... 😊

And one more thing...

Firewatch isn't going on sale ever too.

Already played 'Firewatch' on the PlayStation 4 five years ago however, I would gladly bumble my way through it again, if only for this little homage to the N64 and revisiting the sun-drenched wilderness.

You are quite right though, the game seemingly never goes on sale... along with the 'Marble It Up!' game that I would like to play, but certainly not for £17–blooming—99!

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

It really depends what your standards are. I played it to completion (without the DLC) and it was fine for me. Great game.

I am not a frame counter though (not that it should matter in such a game) and there were a few of instances (in my entire playthrough) where the ship view (where you choose the next room you will do something in) entered a time warp (well, it looked like that :-)), but it didn't hinder the gameplay, it was just strange.

Oct 25, 2017
I know a page or so back for me that some people were asking about Astrologaster. I made a video of the first 20 minutes or so. I really like the art and the feel of the game. It seems to be like a lot of those king type games. I don't know what you'd call them. You are the king and ruling over the kingdom and need to make choices. This sort of seems to be the same sort of set up so far. A lot of listening to stories and kind of guessing/making judgements on how you think they should act based on what they say.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo really needs to let me buy a VERY CHEAP (lmao) digital version of Ring Fit Adventure.

Because, get ready for the hilarity, I can't be arsed to swap carts every time I want to play it. I lose all motivation. 😂

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo really needs to let me buy a VERY CHEAP (lmao) digital version of Ring Fit Adventure.

Because, get ready for the hilarity, I can't be arsed to swap carts every time I want to play it. I lose all motivation. 😂

Same. I can do those blasted painful planks and overhead squats without too much complaining, but swap carts? Nope. Too much of a hassle for me. lol

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
several posts previously have said it doesn't run great of course but it's fine and since it's turn based not a real issue anyway. it's "fine" but not great.
It really depends what your standards are. I played it to completion (without the DLC) and it was fine for me. Great game.

I am not a frame counter though (not that it should matter in such a game) and there were a few of instances (in my entire playthrough) where the ship view (where you choose the next room you will do something in) entered a time warp (well, it looked like that :-)), but it didn't hinder the gameplay, it was just strange.

thanks for the reply, although I don't agree that framerate isn't important in turn based strategy games: low/poor framerate introduces severe menu lag and makes for a miserable experience.
People who suffered thru FFIX on PS4 know what I mean, ugh

I don't need 60fps (tho it certainly feels nice even for turn based games), 30 fps with some dips during actions is fine. If the issues are confined to the actions playing out with some lost frames or whatever then I'm ok with it.

A framerate in the 30 to 20 with frequent spikes during gameplay and above all menu lag is what I'm worried about.

However judging by Pooroomoo's words that doesn't seem the case at all, tho I wonder why so many people shitted on the port before...

I guess maybe I should look into finding some mid-game gameplay footage for handheld mode.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
thanks for the reply, although I don't agree that framerate isn't important in turn based strategy games: low/poor framerate introduces severe menu lag and makes for a miserable experience.
People who suffered thru FFIX on PS4 know what I mean, ugh

I don't need 60fps (tho it certainly feels nice even for turn based games), 30 fps with some dips during actions is fine. If the issues are confined to the actions playing out with some lost frames or whatever then I'm ok with it.

A framerate in the 30 to 20 with frequent spikes during gameplay and above all menu lag is what I'm worried about.

However judging by Pooroomoo's words that doesn't seem the case at all, tho I wonder why so many people shitted on the port before...

I guess maybe I should look into finding some mid-game gameplay footage for handheld mode.
The game did get a few patches. I don't recall any serious lag in whatever I played, except for several times with the room selection I mentioned. I played handheld only, but again, I never played War of the Chosen so can't comment on that. Also, if you shoot from point blank and miss, don't blame the Switch version, that's Xcom. :-)

Added: So I did some digging and here's something I found that should interest you, from 2 months ago - https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/kfpru1/xcom_2_wotc_dlcs_performance_improvements/

Last edited:

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
The upside to the Direct having absolutely nothing cool for me is that now I can use some spare money and buy Anodyne 2 tomorrow. That game seems pretty cool.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just buying the two Capcom packs that have the most shooters. They are pretty expensive but you do get several good games. I hope they make more, especially with GigaWing 2, and other newer games.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up about Capcom Arcade Stadium & Ghosts 'n Goblins.

"Ghosts 'n Goblins is included as a special bonus when you buy Capcom Arcade Stadium Packs 1, 2, and 3. It will also be available as a free download until the launch of Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection on February 25th, after which it will be a stand-alone purchase."

So quick nab it now while it's free?

Edit: so both Famicom Detective games are $35 each, but if you buy one, the other one is discounted by $10, so $60 total for both.

Last edited:

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I wish you could buy the games in Capcom Arcade Stadium separately. I already own Beat 'Em Up Bundle and Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, I don't want extra copies of some of the games in those compilations just to get my hands on GigaWing and Cyberbots. 1943 and Ghosts n' Goblins are pretty fun freebies though!

Also, I grabbed SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium today and it's great.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I'm considering Darkwood since it's on sale and it has been on my Wishlist forever but I've heard it can be a bit obtuse. How deep are the survival mechanics? I don't want a horror game to be a cakewalk but I don't really feel like getting into a super demanding game right now I'm still debating it.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wish you could buy the games in Capcom Arcade Stadium separately. I already own Beat 'Em Up Bundle and Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, I don't want extra copies of some of the games in those compilations just to get my hands on GigaWing and Cyberbots. 1943 and Ghosts n' Goblins are pretty fun freebies though!
What's more confounding is they appear to be all individual downloads when you buy the packs, at least in that it lists each game individually under the add on section of the eshop page. So they could have just sold them for a dollar each. I guess this way guarantees higher sales of the obscure games, but think it might put people off from buying the entire collection.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

Also, I grabbed SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium today and it's great.
Same, I might not have 1943 but I have that Pyscho Shooter pack that takes care of it. Feel like most of the good games I own elsewhere and potentially also offer online multiplayer so why this?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt pay much attention to the direct last night (it was quite disappointing imo) but im surprised at the lack of shadow drops when I checked the store later. Oh well :/

I'm considering Darkwood since it's on sale and it has been on my Wishlist forever but I've heard it can be a bit obtuse. How deep are the survival mechanics? I don't want a horror game to be a cakewalk but I don't really feel like getting into a super demanding game right now I'm still debating it.

it's very obtuse and hard. It's awesome tho (well at least on PC, no idea about the Switch port)

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
North American PR:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
Capcom Arcade Stadium – Dozens of Capcom's most beloved arcade classics are on Nintendo Switch as part of Capcom Arcade Stadium. Rewind gameplay, adjust game speed or difficulty, and select from a variety of display options to relive that sweet arcade goodness. Get 1943 - The Battle of Midway for free, then purchase game packs or the standalone Ghosts 'n Goblins add-on to build your collection.

Persona 5 Strikers – Join the Phantom Thieves and strike back against the corruption overtaking cities across Japan. A summer vacation with close friends takes a sudden turn as a distorted reality emerges… Reveal the truth and redeem the hearts of those imprisoned at the center of the crisis!

Curse of the Dead Gods – Your desire to seek untold riches, eternal life and divine powers leads to this accursed temple, a seemingly-infinite labyrinth of bottomless pits, deadly traps and monsters. Your greed will lead you to death, but that is not an escape. Rise to fight again. Delve deeper again. Defy the malignant deities that linger in this place. Battle through hordes of enemies in dark, cavernous passages filled with traps and secrets of all sorts – fire-spewing statues, explosives, hidden spikes and worse. Collect mystical Relics and an arsenal of weapons to make yourself unstoppable. Corruption builds in you with every step – encourage or ignore it, but each powerful curse can be a double-edged sword.

Project TRIANGLE STRATEGY (working title) Demo – Recently announced in the latest Nintendo Direct, this new tactical RPG from SQUARE ENIX is launching for Nintendo Switch in 2022 … but you can try out a free demo for the game now!

Digital Spotlight
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – There's never been a bigger cast of characters or a better time to jump into the ultimate brawl! Super Smash Bros. Ultimate features a giant lineup of video game icons duking it out in fierce battles that take place across dozens of signature locations from throughout gaming history. It also includes more than 1,000 music tracks from classic gaming franchises, cementing its legacy as the ultimate tribute to gaming's past and future. Plus, with the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 DLC, which can be purchased for $29.99, you'll also get access to Min Min from the ARMS game, Steve & Alex from Minecraft and Sephiroth from the FINAL FANTASY series, as well as the recently announced Pyra/Mythra and two more yet-to-be announced fighters as they release. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is currently available in Nintendo eShop.

Activities:
A Golden Opportunity – For a limited time, you can earn up to 600 My Nintendo Gold Points – twice the normal amount – when you purchase select digital games through Nintendo eShop, Nintendo.com (where available) or participating retailers.* Eligible games include Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, among others! Get started by visiting https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/#double-gold-points.

Nintendo eShop sales:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Also new this week in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch:

Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
Arcade Archives THUNDER CROSS
Astrologaster
Black Jack World Tour
Boom Blaster – Available Feb. 19
Cape's Escape Game 2nd room
Cathedral
Crazy Oce
CROSSBOW: Bloodnight – Available Feb. 20
Doom & Destiny Advanced – Available Feb. 19
Dry Drowning – Available Feb. 22
Dynos & Ghosts – Available Feb. 23
Glam
Johnny Bonasera Full Season – Available Feb. 23
Knight's Retreat
Offroad Mini Racing – Available Feb. 20
Persephone
PUSS! – Available Feb. 19
Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos
Ski Jump Challenge – Available Feb. 20
Speed Limit
Thomas Was Alone

Also new this week in Nintendo eShop on 3DS:

Bricks Defender V

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Big ol' eShop sale in the EU. Picked up Burnout for £12.49. See EA, I was willing to wait your ass out.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
How is the switch version of Valkyria Chronicles 1 ? Any reason to prefer other versions ?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
quick glance at my 200+ wishlist and pretty underwhelming sale. Most of the same small discounts as usual, Hob is finally cheaper than just 30% off but not by much, 40% off. Might finally get it. Maybe Dread Naughtical 66% off, but reviews seem pretty mixed on it. Kinda already regret getting the 50€ gift card I got this morning for the sale.

and yes, no Salt and Sanctuary lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.