• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eShop E3 surprise of this year

• Mother 3

Votes: 102 17.9%
  • Mother Trilogy

Votes: 105 18.4%
  • Mother 4

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Mother: The Dark World

Votes: 144 25.3%
  • Grandmother

Votes: 197 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question.

If I purchase a digital code for a game from GameStop how many gold coins would I get for that? Would it be 300?

I ask because doing that I would end up getting 8% back total (5% gold coins 3% my credit card).

No matter where you get a eShop digital code from, you get the same amount as if you brought it on the Switch eShop

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
If I remember correctly Shaq-Fu is free if you owned NBA Playground right?

Edit: Yep just logged in, price was shown but I clicked buy and the price went away will have to try the game sometime :p
only free if you bought it within a certain time frame after launch (before it got patched with the online stuff)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Are there more visual novels available for the Switch other than the three otome ones?

SUBSURFACE CIRCULAR is, imo, the best kinda-visual novel on Switch atm (since I didn't really enjoy Oxenfree that much, dialogue was too Dawson-Creeky/teen-drama for me).
It's a great experience all around, short but not too-short, bargain price, fantastic art direction and spectacular music. Also a perfect save-system and an even if you don't play it for a few nights it's just super easy to understand where you were at and re-experience the last bits you"ve forgotten or just re-read a few lines you might have missed.
The story is simple but cool and immersive, it sells the world very well and the dialogue-choices and focus point system work very well in tandem.
Recommended.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
That brings me to this question: Audiovisually I'm very interested in Night in the Woods and even the story setup ("guy coming back to hometown and facing old friends and such after years apart) nterests me.
What are the chance that I will enjoy it story-wise if I didn't like Oxenfree (yes, I beat it two times)? How's the writing? I didn't find Oxenfree immersive at all, and not cause I'm 40y old and not a teen anymore, but simply because it read more like an episode of TV-show TeenDramaX instead of sounding real... it was like looking actors badly playing a part.

So, after 50 hours of Steamworld Heist (loved it), now
I need a bedtime game to follow the great Subsurface Circular.

Atm it's a toss between NitW, The Way Remastered and Detention.
Help eShopERA!
No West of Loathing coz I still got South Park to play and I find that humorous games are not a good setup to falling asleep lol

Last edited:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
SUBSURFACE CIRCULAR is, imo, the best kinda-visual novel on Switch atm (since I didn't really enjoy Oxenfree that much, dialogue was too Dawson-Creeky/teen-drama for me).
It's a great experience all around, short but not too-short, bargain price, fantastic art direction and spectacular music. Also a perfect save-system and an even if you don't play it for a few nights it's just super easy to understand where you were at and re-experience the last bits you"ve forgotten or just re-read a few lines you might have missed.
The story is simple but cool and immersive, it sells the world very well and the dialogue-choices and focus point system work very well in tandem.
Recommended.

Oh, that's the best news I've heard regarding this game, as I really didn't enjoy the characterization and dialog in Oxenfree. It sounds very age specific, and I'm worn by that style, and older now, so far less tolerant/engaged by it. Same reason Night in the Woods, and Celeste really, really turned me off.

That said, the fact that dialog in Yoku was compressed, and didn't inject social politics or personal views, or really flesh out much of a plot past basic good/bad archetypes, on a really small scale, definitely appealed to me. It's sadly, reassuring to play games like that and Runner3, where a game is a game, and feels timeless twenty years from now, versus ruminating on where the creator was in that time period of their life, and how it affected them. I can get excited about that other more personalized style, but it feels so prevalent currently, and the themes and voices feel fairly similar to me.

Speaking of, it really blows that Yoku and Runner3 aren't on the eshop list for beat sellers in the US.. ..... .. Nice to see Bloodstained up there though!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, that's the best news I've heard regarding this game, as I really didn't enjoy the characterization and dialog in Oxenfree. It sounds very age specific, and I'm worn by that style, and older now, so far less tolerant/engaged by it. Same reason Night in the Woods, and Celeste really, really turned me off.
!

Ugh, so Night in The Woods has the same "problems" as Oxenfree then? That is too bad if so :(
What about Detention or The Way, did you play those?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Subsurface Circular is indeed great, but I wouldn't really call it non-political if that's a turn off.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Just to give another thumbs up to Subsurface Circular!

Short game, mostly text, LOVED IT!

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, so Night in The Woods has the same "problems" as Oxenfree then? That is too bad if so :(
What about Detention or The Way, did you play those?
I loved Oxenfree but couldn't get into Night in the Woods, the story just didn't grab me. :/ Personally I unfortunately wouldn't recommend it.

I'm very interested in The Way, it's been on my Steam wishlist for ages, the only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I've heard some of the later half puzzles you face are bizarre and non-intuitive.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Oxenfree but couldn't get into Night in the Woods, the story just didn't grab me. :/ Personally I unfortunately wouldn't recommend it.
I'm right there with you on NitW. Some really excellent character moments were overshadowed by almost universally tedious game mechanics, and an actually pretty terrible high-level plot.

docus

Feb 14, 2018
I'm wondering if anyone has played Songbringer yet? I'm interested and would appreciate any thoughts on it!

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What are these gold coins I get after buying a game? This is my first Nintendo system since the NES.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Oh wow eShop updated?!

New Discovery section, new charts and longer (30+30 games) and more.
Baby steps but very cool!

Soooooo... SEXY BRUTALE is 50% off, is it still unplayable (portable mode)? Concept always interested me!

What about HOLLOW?

And GRIDD is out, trailers look awesome!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Currently?

Absolutely.

Also Subsurface Circular is absolutely fantastic. Short but definitely sweet. I'm dying to play his new game, Quarantine Circular but I really want to play it on the Switch if at all possible.
Bithell said it depends on the success of the PC version so I hope that's doing well as I'm holding out for a Switch port of that as well (played SC at launch on PC first).

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

I'm very interested in The Way, it's been on my Steam wishlist for ages, the only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I've heard some of the later half puzzles you face are bizarre and non-intuitive.

Consensus was super positive on NitW but man reading you guys' posts I think it's going back to my wishlist for now... maybe I should watch a play through to get an idea of the writing... I just don't really watch let's plays or stream sbout videogames... we'll see.

I might be going in on The Way. I love cinematic platformer. Speaking of that is Little Nightmares similar to LIMBO/iNSIDE? Did you guys like it? How's the performance in portable mode?
I also wonder about Milanoir.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a date for Lumines yet? I seem to remember it got a rough 'June' back last month.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
What are these gold coins I get after buying a game? This is my first Nintendo system since the NES.

1 point = 1 cent.
Digital games give 5% in points while physical gives 2.5% gold points.

For example right now Mario Tennis is €60 on eShop and gives DOUBLE points if you preorder.
That means you'll earn 600 points so in the end you'll actually get the game for €54.
You can then use gold coins as currency to buy games or DLC off the eShop, you can either accumulate points until you want to spend them all at once or use it every time on your new purchase.
Gold coins will last 1 year iirc. You can register a physical game for gold points up until 2 years after its release date.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1 point = 1 cent.

For example right now Mario Tennis is €60 on eShop and gives DOUBLE points if you preorder.
That means you'll earn 600 points so in the end you'll actually get the game for €54.
You can then use gold coins as currency to buy games or DLC off the eShop, you can either accumulate points until you want to spend them all at once or use it every time on your new purchase.
Gold coins will last 1 year iirc. You can register a physical game for gold points up until 2 years after its release date.
Cheers, that's a great system, other consoles should do the same.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I personally loved Night in the Woods but I kind of love those type of mundane, slice-of-life stories, so I can see why someone wouldn't be too hot on it.

Edit:
This was wasted earlier but was Sexy Brutale ever fixed?

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Night in the Woods is excellent in my opinion, but I can see how others would be turned off. It captures some very specific feelings of living in a small town, struggling with mental illness, being queer, and not really being sure how to feel okay. I'm 36, but I've struggled with mental illness all my life, grew up in a small-ish city with people who were too familiar with others, and really related to the game. The aesthetic is great, the gameplay is passible, the characters are fantastic. YMMV I guess, but if any of that calls to you, I highly recommend it.

Feb 15, 2018
Anybody here tried The infectious madness of doctor dekker yet?

Interested to hear how manageable the text input is outside of the prompt system. Some of the reviews are pretty critical, but was wondering if that's the view of someone who specifically purchased it for their interest in the game, and are ready to try and work with it....

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK

Don't even bother, the game is a motion blur mess, runs at 600p portable, 720p docked.

It's sluggy and playing in portable felt horrible.

You can either toggle run, or walk at an extremely slow pace, making back tracking a chore.

The default camera speed is really slow, so I turned it up to max which seemed more fitting, but came more motion blur, with occasional frame drops and stuttering.

It is however the first game on switch I've seen with MSAA options though, not that I could even notice at 600p and with all the blur.

Ignore this title and move on.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
It seems the EU eshop received a "Keep talking and nobody explodes" type of game, i would even say a clone that before only existed on mobile.
It's called "Them Bombs".
Interesting.

For people that never played this type of game it's a nice game to play with people where one person describes the bomb puzzles to other that has a text manual.
While it's no "KTANE" level it's a nice addiction to the co-op games list.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
1 point = 1 cent.

And physical games do it automatically too or there's an extra step?? Like a code 9r something .

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
giant bomb were super positive on Yoku, I really need to play it but I just spent too much lately, I'll have to wait for a sale sadly.

Ritoo

Jun 5, 2018
I need hollow knight in my veins,I stopped playing on PC with around 40 hours when I knew was coming to switch,but when?I need to kill that bugs : )

Last edited: