• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eShop E3 surprise of this year

• Mother 3

Votes: 102 17.9%
  • Mother Trilogy

Votes: 105 18.4%
  • Mother 4

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Mother: The Dark World

Votes: 144 25.3%
  • Grandmother

Votes: 197 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the nice thing about the battle pass, based on what I've read (I don't see myself as someone who will pay for it. I recently got my first victory in Solo Fortnite and I should probably quite while I'm ahead.) ...anyway, the nice thing is it seems like if you're a person who plays enough, you can earn the Fortnite Bucks required to unlock the next season.

I'd like to see that situation in Rocket League, which I do play enough that I might actually be able to keep a one-season investment rolling for quite some time. Of course, the whole Rocket League progression system, if handled with a global account like Fortnite, will open up a whole new issue for me, because I mainly play on PS4 right now.

Oct 26, 2017
Did a lot of purchasing, in fact I spent more digitally then I think I ever had in such a short time:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Splatoon 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Tennis Aces
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition

All since the E3 sale started. Wow. I've become a believer in digital.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Did a lot of purchasing, in fact I spent more digitally then I think I ever had in such a short time:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Splatoon 2
Mario Tennis Aces

Nice haul. I was impressed with Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. It is not perfect but it is a blast to play in handheld.

Oct 31, 2017

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Splatoon 2
Mario Tennis Aces

Holy hell those are some huge time sinks.

Personally I've got a 256gb card in at the moment and I've been downloading mostly titles that I can do short bursts with or are titles I will revisit weekly. In this case titles like Tropical Freeze, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, etc.

Bigger games that I will play seasonally (for lack of a better word) I've bought on card, BotW, Odyssey, etc.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
UPDATE on the savecoins thing !

The owner of the site sold it to a tech company and the site is back online!
In the medium text explaining (warning : portuguese) he mentiones that they paid more than "around 8 years of patreon" for the site and as of now he was winning almost 35 dollars per month on patreon (he could have won more, he asked people to take out pledges that were savecoins based when the site went offline the first time...)

https://savecoins.app

Nothing changed so far but I would not be impressed if the company puts some ads or something like that in the future =/
But still. login, wishlist, price history graph, brazilian and colombian webstore ... all back as it should =D

And, on an unrelated note ..

Last edited:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I think the nice thing about the battle pass, based on what I've read (I don't see myself as someone who will pay for it. I recently got my first victory in Solo Fortnite and I should probably quite while I'm ahead.) ...anyway, the nice thing is it seems like if you're a person who plays enough, you can earn the Fortnite Bucks required to unlock the next season.

I'd like to see that situation in Rocket League, which I do play enough that I might actually be able to keep a one-season investment rolling for quite some time. Of course, the whole Rocket League progression system, if handled with a global account like Fortnite, will open up a whole new issue for me, because I mainly play on PS4 right now.

Fortnite isn't bad at all, regarding its BattlePass, but earning it via vbucks still takes a good amount of hours and level gains. I've been playing a shit ton, and am up to level 35 in one week, but I've heard the grind gets really tough towards the end. I do feel like I'm having fun, but I also feel like I'm running a wheeze filled marathon I'm not prepared for.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just want to know why it's NES games.

Can you think of 20 NES games that are likely included that you want to play regularly? Even classics like Metroid and Kid Icarus aren't very fun to most people these days, especially if they never played them growing up. To say nothing of shit like Ice Climbers and Balloon Fight.

They should have done a mix eras, at least.

I don't think I can think of 20 NES games period unless they're including games by other companies. So far they've only announced Nintendo games. No Contra, no Mega Man, no Double Dragon...

Pretty sure they said they're starting with NES games with added features then moving on to other classic systems. Regardless, I want them to really open the floodgates on the classics.

I think that was the plan initially. They've gone a bit quiet on that front but that's to be expected because fucking Nintendo.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't think I can think of 20 NES games period unless they're including games by other companies. So far they've only announced Nintendo games. No Contra, no Mega Man, no Double Dragon...

And I doubt they will ... nes megaman games are already being selled in the eshop =P
Double Dragon has the arcade version on the eshop.... when nintendo asked for their games to be on virtual console they showed the companies that people want to buy their old games and now they don't want nintendo doing anything.

So yeah they will probably start with 20 nes games, that is half of the first party stuff on the system then jump to snes and so on
I want to think 6 months each console but i would be asking too much =P

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, made it to the third area of Hollow Knight tonight and this game is fantastic, the atmosphere, visuals, exploration focus and even lore are all so good. I'm so engrossed I don't even want to check the OT because I want to stay 100% blind, haha.

True "Metroid-likes" are relatively rare, let alone truly great ones, so I'm extremely happy with this.

Nov 21, 2017
Yo, made it to the third area of Hollow Knight tonight and this game is fantastic, the atmosphere, visuals, exploration focus and even lore are all so good. I'm so engrossed I don't even want to check the OT because I want to stay 100% blind, haha.

True "Metroid-likes" are relatively rare, let alone truly great ones, so I'm extremely happy with this.

I have been ignoring Hollow Knight for some reason. I am not a huge fan of the Metroidvania genre, but should I get it regardless?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have been ignoring Hollow Knight for some reason. I am not a huge fan of the Metroidvania genre, but should I get it regardless?
Hard to say, it's far more Metroid than it's Castlevania if that helps. If you like 2D action platformers and don't mind getting lost and exploring (plus some decent challenge) then definitely give it a try tho.

Other users described it way better in the last page, so look up those posts too. It's a fantastic game but not really for everyone, IMO.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. I saw it stated it released already? What would differentiate this between something like Pixeljunk Monsters 2? Them being the same price.

Oh, if it was released a little while ago I apologise for the old news, I just saw it today! (Full disclosure: I used to work for these guys)

Truth be told I haven't played PJM2 so I can't do a 1:1 comparison, sorry!

So aside from it having some of my beautiful code in it, it has a load of different levels/tracks, online coop (I think.. the other console versions do), a tonne of towers with varying upgrade paths, boss battles etc. It also has very scalable difficulty, so depending on how challenging you like your TD games to be, you should be able to find a level that suits you.

Its essentially a game that has had 5 years worth of content updates, now available on Switch. It has received great reviews on all the other platforms it has been released on (and has been incredibly popular on mobile) and although I haven't personally seen this particular port running, knowing the guys that did it I can say its most likely going to be a good job.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Super chariots Phillips hue support is amazing, having the lights theme to the map and respond to what happens in the game makes me wish way more developers supported smart lights

Oct 27, 2017
How is the gameplay on Fifa 18 switch version? I know some online features are missing but i would probably only play season and local co-op. Is it worth the 20 euros?

FIFA 18 is OK. The gameplay is ever so slightly "off" from any of the other recent versions, so may be noticeable if you play it a lot elsewhere, but it still offers a pretty good game of football in its own right. Despite the missing modes FIFA still has a shit ton of other stuff going on so it's easy to get your monies worth. I paid full price for it and don't regret it despite not being fully convinced by it.

For 20 euros, sure, why the hell not.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've only looked up one or two things in about 10 hours of gaming: one was to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious ability somewhere, another way to try and figure out why I could hear a grub, but not find it despite endless searching. I try to find the map man ASAP for every location - first priority! But totally understand wanting to know where is from the beginning. The game can certainly be frustrating.

That said, last night I spent 40 minutes getting to and defeating one particularly challenging boss. Most of that time was spent actually getting to it, but I have to say the reward for discovering and besting patterns is Dark Souls levels of satisfying; perhaps even moreso because I love the art direction and storytelling style of this game even more.

Easily a top 3 Switch purchase for me, up there with Disgaea 5 and BotW.

I agree, it's an amazing game despite my earlier misgivings. I have managed to make some more progress, have aquired the
Dream Nail
and am now trying to beat the
Dung Defender
. He's a tough one!

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm not sure if this game is for me. I don't have the patience I used to. Now I loved all the 2D Metroid's and completed them all...except last years one.

On Hollow Knight I got stuck, then managed to defeat the first boss, False Knight, got access to the forestry area...and I can't go any further. So I backtrack to the surface. And I don't know if I can be bothered to keep on going. 4 hours in and I might give up.
I get that feeling. I'm not really one for banging my head against the wall with a tough boss. I much prefer the exploration elements in these types of games. But I stuck with it and it really grew on me.
I also never finished Samus Returns but I think Hollow Knight is the better game by far.
Give it another go before giving it up is my advice.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Now that savecoins is back, I wish they would add a feature to display on sales in certain region. Why does it display cheapest region anyway?

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That boss was the hardest for me out of all the "normal" story bosses.

Also, there's a non-obvious hint to where the map explorer is: a literal paper trail in other screens leading to him. I came across the paper sheets but I didn't make the connection until I read online about it (the other hint is that you can hear him humming a song in the same screen he is, but you probably noticed that already).
Yep, I noticed the paper trail. I really rely on the map though so If I can't find him within the first few screens I look up his location. I guess that defeats the purpose, of the map mechanic but I don't mind.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I pulled the trigger with 'GRIDD: Retroenhanced'.

Sadly, the Switch port is not very good.

The game runs at a clearly sub-native resolution in portable mode, something in the 540p mark, looking extra blurry in the screen.

To make things worse, the game runs at 30 FPS and it has some frame dips in the most stressful parts.

This is the second atrocious Unity port published by Kongregate in Switch, after 'The Trail: Frontier Challenge'.

While the game resembles 'Thumper' in the trailers, it's very far away from its excellence in audio design.

The sound effects for destroying the enemies are not very satisfactory, and there is a single repetitive synth wave song with a very short loop.

Very far from the synesthetic perfection and amazing soundtracks of 'REZ' and 'Thumper'.

Plus in the gameplay department, for a game trying to be a fast paced arcade experience, there are some annoying gimmicks in the gameplay.

Ideas working better on the paper than in its execution, like a part trying to hack the password for an enemy, with a small puzzle segment integrated in the shmup part that results very confusing. Or enemies with two states, one of them reflecting your lasers, so you need to stop pushing the fire button.

The icing on the cake is that when you die, there is not a rapid restart button and you need to navigate again through the menu, suffering again the text introduction.

It's not a bad game, I still love its artistic design and it scratches the itch of some shooter-on-rails in the vein of the first 'Panzer Dragoon' or 'Star Fox 64'. If you are an enthusiast of the genre, there is an enjoyable small arcada game here if you don't care about the low resolution, which is perfectly playable and serviceable.

But it feels like an amateur game, far from other masterpieces in the genre.

I enjoyed much more of 'L.F.O.: Lost Future Omega'. While this game was much less ambitious, you know, a small doujin piece, at least its sound design and use of HD rumble was memorable, running at 60 FPS.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, not really.

But then again, I'm in the minority that think that game is just OK.

lol I just watched IGN video review and they game it a 10/10. They also gave Celsete a 10/10 (good game, maybe an 8 for me).

I'll buy it depending on its price. $10 or less sounds like a good price for an "experience" game that tells a good story and only a few hours long.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
lol I just watched IGN video review and they game it a 10/10. They also gave Celsete a 10/10 (good game, maybe an 8 for me).

I'll buy it depending on its price. $10 or less sounds like a good price for an "experience" game that tells a good story and only a few hours long.

It's a well made game with a good story that you will finish in like 3 hours and most likely never touch again. I think there are better games for Switch in that price range to be fair.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
It's a well made game with a good story that you will finish in like 3 hours and most likely never touch again. I think there are better games for Switch in that price range to be fair.
Yeah true that. Hollow Knight at $15 has an amazing pick-up and it is much longer. I'll wait and see what the price is.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Bought Mario + Rabbids. I wish Nintendo sales weren't so rare. Empty wallet after buying the console itself, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but couldn't pass up on this deal, as physical copies are very hard to come by over here.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I paid $20 (or whatever the asking price was) for Inside because of the crazy word of mouth between the podcast I listen to and reviews and I was left severely disappointed by the end.

It feels like Oscar bait the game.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I paid $20 (or whatever the asking price was) for Inside because of the crazy word of mouth between the podcast I listen to and reviews and I was left severely disappointed by the end.

It feels like Oscar bait the game.
I didn't know how i felt about it at first. I completed it on the PC and the experience started out bland but then picked up half way through.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Didn't see if someone posted it but Fossil Hunters is on the eShop proper with an "estimated" date. Seems like a fun, light party-style game and comes out next week.

I am really digging Paladins.

I expect Warframe and World of Tanks to come befor ethe end of next year. Smite and its card game seem likely, too. Orcs Must Die and Brawlhalla.

I really should have grabbed Paladins' Founder's Pack when it was $13 in Mexico. I thought about it, I just didn't think they'd change it. Gonna have to wait for it to go F2P before deciding to drop $30 on it.

Thought you said it was a price error? :P

I doubt Warframe will come to the Switch, seems like it would take a lot to port that and it is a big game.

Any of you feel good about picking up Hollow for $4.99. Looks interesting.

I need to play it more, only put in an hour and haven't had time and other games popped up. But it was enjoyable so far. I did buy it as full price.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

No, do forget it. It is based on the bad mobile game that really is a departure from the original.

You can even switch from jet to robot in mid mission etc. A lot of what made Galak-Z good was taken out for mobile for some reason. Also I heard on Waypoint radio that they didn't even adjust the atrack cooldowns from the mobile version.

If this was like a Galak-Z game that was more like the Ps4 version but with say 100 levels etc like the mobile one it'd be a neat reason to try it, but it really feels like it is Galak-z in name only.

Oct 31, 2017
Fuckin' Lumines this month, I forgot. TOO MANY GAMES.

Hard to say, it's far more Metroid than it's Castlevania if that helps. If you like 2D action platformers and don't mind getting lost and exploring (plus some decent challenge) then definitely give it a try tho.

Other users described it way better in the last page, so look up those posts too. It's a fantastic game but not really for everyone, IMO.

This is circular because Dark Souls is Metroid-y, but I see Hollow Knight as basically 2D Dark Souls. The atmosphere is there, and the combat relies a lot on "learn patterns and don't be a moron." It's very easy to get killed by regular enemies if you aren't paying attention.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin' Lumines this month, I forgot. TOO MANY GAMES.

This is circular because Dark Souls is Metroid-y, but I see Hollow Knight as basically 2D Dark Souls. The atmosphere is there, and the combat relies a lot on "learn patterns and don't be a moron." It's very easy to get killed by regular enemies if you aren't paying attention.

Add on to the fact that you can make your own path much more than in either Metroid or SotN. My wife went in a completely different direction from my brother and from me and we've all had different experiences because of it.