• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eShop E3 surprise of this year

• Mother 3

Votes: 102 17.9%
  • Mother Trilogy

Votes: 105 18.4%
  • Mother 4

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Mother: The Dark World

Votes: 144 25.3%
  • Grandmother

Votes: 197 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diseased Yak

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm is plague road worth getting? It's only a dollar

I mean, it's only $1, so you really can't go too wrong... Having said that, I bought it, and after a little bit with it, I doubt I play it too much. It's a "roguelite" type game, so if you don't like that genre you may not like it. I do, but something about it just doesn't work right for me. For one, it's brutally hard, unless I'm missing something that makes it not so. Graphics are good, though, plus everyone's (hah) favorite Jim Sterling provides voice work for cut scenes and story elements.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know it, but I don't own a PSP :(

I play dungeon crawlers on PC, but honestly I'm more of a console gamer, so I'm dying for a good dungeon crawler to play on my Switch!

Hey, there's also a 3DS version! :V
But yeah, I'm with you there, I hope we'll get a nice selection on the Switch.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Ok. This is bugging me. Is YsVIII full of insane spelling or did NISA just spell common phonetics differently for "reasons". Hearing them say "Roman" and it being spelled Romun is sort of pissing me off.
the day-1 patch that addresses this isn't out (I think). they have a patch schedule outlined for the coming weeks, all of which fix text stuff and other things.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
There's too much on Switch. Picked up Darkside Detetcive and NeuroVoider on sale...then Paladins, and Bomber Crew is coming out, Fossil Hunters...I just don't know how I am going to find time to play all these games this summer.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. This is bugging me. Is YsVIII full of insane spelling or did NISA just spell common phonetics differently for "reasons". Hearing them say "Roman" and it being spelled Romun is sort of pissing me off.

They are patching the text. However, "Romun" has always been spelled that way in Ys games, so this is intentional. They're not referring to our real-world "Romans" in the game.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Just discovered the Wardrobe pre-order under "great deals". Somehow this 2D point & click slipped past my radar but it looks interesting and has solid reviews.

Looks like it was announced months ago and is due out July 6th. NintendoLife also just posted that more point & clicks are coming to switch with The Lion's Song and My Brother Rabbit.

Love how many games seem to, or actually do pop up out of nowhere.

Forgot Undertale is due out at some point too.

sebbbbe_WiiG

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Before most of the games go out live tomorrow, I wanted tp give an update of the new listings from the EU Switch eShop (changes highlighted):
Harvest Moon: Lights of Hope Special Edition (Rising Star Games, 28th June, 39,99€, 667MB, preload and 10% discount available)
Harvest Moon: Lights of Hope Special Edition Set (Rising Star Games, 28th June, 44,99€, no size, preload and 10% discount available)
Photon Cube (Smileaxe, 28th June, 12,00€, 196MB)
MotoGP 18 (Milestone, 28th June, 59,99€, 9,6GB)
Fossil Hunters (Smiling Buddha Games, 14,99€, 685MB)
Limbo (Playdead, 28th June, 9,99€, 117MB)
Grave Danger (Joindots, 28th June, 19,99€, 170MB, preload and 15% discount available)
Figment (Bedtime Digital, 28th June, 19,99€, 1,3GB, preload and 20% discount available)
ACA NeoGeo: Money Puzzle Exchanger (Hamster, 28th June, 6,99€, 96MB)
The Journey Down: Chapter Two (BlitWorks, 28th June, 19,99€, 1,9GB)
Dream Alone (Fat Dog Games, 28th June, 9,99€, 4,6GB, preload and 10% discount available)
Arcade Archives: Renegade (Hamster, 28th June, 6,99€, 78MB)
MotoGP 18 (Milestone, 59,99€, 28th June, 13,9GB)
Inside (Playdead, 28th June, 19,99€, 1,4GB)

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Bethesda, 29th June, 59,99€, 12,2GB, preload available)
Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy (Activision, 29th June, 39,99€, 5,2GB, preload available)
Waking Violet (MixedBag, 29th June, 6,99€, 277MB, preload and 29% discount available)
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (NIS America, 29th June, 59,99€, 14,1GB)
Anima: Gate of Memories (BLG-Publishing, 29th June, 19,99€, 4,5GB)
Anima: Gate of Memories - The Nameless Chronicles (BLG-Publishing, 29th June, 19,99€, 3,3GB)
Anima: Gate of Memories - Arcane Edition (BLG-Publishing, 29th June, 29,99€, 6,1GB)
SpiritSphere DX (Fabraz, 2nd July, 10,00€, 271MB)
Runbow (Headup Games, 3rd July, 14,99€, 1,1GB, preload and 20% discount available)
Mushroom Wars 2 (Zillion Whales, 5th July, 19,99€, 1,5GB, preload and 10% discount available)
Miles & Kilo (Four Horses, 5th July, 7,99€, 164MB, preload available)
Disease -Hidden Object- (D3 Publisher, 5th July, 6,99€, 296MB, preload available)
Kill The Bad Guy (Plug in Digital, 5th July, 6,99€, 762MB, preload available)
The Journey Down: Chapter Three (BlitWorks, 5th July, 19,99€, 2,0GB)
Squids Odyssey (The Game Bakers, 5th July, 14,99€, 337MB)
Awkward (Snap Finger Click, 5th July, 12,99€, 298MB)
Yuso (Vertical Reach, 5th July, 6,49€, 157MB)
The Wardrobe (MixedBag, 6th July, 14,99€, 3,0GB, preload and 15% discount available)
Pato Box (Bromio, 9th July, 14,99€, 1,2GB)

Shining Resonance Refrain (SEGA, 10th July, 49,99€, 6,5GB, preload and 10% discount available)
Neverout (Gamedust, 10th July, 7,49€, 634MB, preload and 20% discount available)
Muddledash (Pqube, 10th July, 4,99€, 203MB, preload and 10% discount available)
Bomb Chicken (Nitrome, 12th July, 13,49€, 237MB)
Super Volley Blast (Unfinished Pixel, 12th July, 9,99€, 392MB, preload and 10% discount available)
Octopath Traveler (Nintendo, 13th July, 59,99€, 2,9GB, preload available)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo, 13th July, 39,99€, 1,4GB, preload available)
All-Star Fruit Racing (Pqube, 13th July, 39,99€, 3,5GB)
Frost (Digerati, 19th July, 12,99€, 518MB)
Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded (NIS America, 20th July, 49,99€, 6,9GB)
Mega Man X Legacy Collection (Capcom, 24th July, 19,99€, 2,9GB, preload available)
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 (Capcom, 24th July, 19,99€, 6,6GB, preload available)

Final Light, The Prison (EnjoyUp Games, 27th July, 6,99€, 1,3GB, preload availabe)
Hello Neighbor (tinyBuild Games, 27th July, 39,99€, 2,3GB)
Overcooked! 2 (Team17, 7th August, 24,99€, 1,7GB, preload available)
Code of Princess EX (Nicalis, 31st July, 39,99€, 2,9GB)
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Capcom Europe, 28th August, 59,99€, 11,3GB, preload available) DELISTED
Dark Souls Remastered (Bandai Namco, 2018, no price, no size) DELISTED

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Limbo & Inside are both coming to the eShop and I know nothing about them. I watched the eShop videos of them and they look great.

Which is better? Inside costs £10 more. Are they both great games? Tough difficulty?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Limbo & Inside are both coming to the eShop and I know nothing about them. I watched the eShop videos of them and they look great.

Which is better? Inside costs £10 more. Are they both great games? Tough difficulty?
Inside is better. Costs more as it is the more recent of the two I guess. Limbo is supposed to be good but it didn't grab me from what I played.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Both are worth playing, but Limbo feels like a rough draft of what Inside achieves. Neither have much replay value, but Inside is such a great experience.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Inside is one of my favourite games this generation. You might not play it more than once, but it's an incredible ride.

Very "Nintendo" like quality too... no cuts or frame drops once the game starts.

Story - and especially the ending - are very memorable, and will give you lots to digest/read about on the web afterwards if that's your thing.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Limbo was great at the time it released. A physics-based moody af puzzle platformer with some super dark imagery. Its strongest point is the aesthetic. At this point, if you've seen a trailer, you're good.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Ys. Probably a terrible idea having just started XC2 NG+.

Also I have plenty of familiarity with Ys (played 1 and 2 on TG-16 when they released) but this is pretty stark Ys VIII right up against XC2. The quality of XC2 cannot possibly overstated.
You fucked up.

They have a month-long road map announced for patches bringing fixes that should have been there day 1.

I know it, but I don't own a PSP :(
Elminage Original is also on 3DS and it's currently on sale for $10
Thanks for all that. I'll just get Inside!!!
I didnt much care for Limbo. I was blown away by Inside.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are the consoles I currently own:

- Sega Genesis
- Sega Saturn
- Sega Dreamcast
- Nintendo Switch

I also own a Game Gear. Sadly, it's broken, so if there is a version of Elminage that runs on it, please don't tell me ^_^
Ooooh, you were a real Sega fanboy, eh? How's it feel to come to the N side? ;)

What were you playing between Dreamcast and Switch!?

How is Owlboy's performance? Read about some issues but that seems to have been a few months ago. 1080p?
I want to know as well.

I posted asking about it but couldnt get a definitive answer.

My research indicates that there's still unpatched technical issues including crashes and framedrops, despite several patches being made.

Both are worth playing, but Limbo feels like a rough draft of what Inside achieves. Neither have much replay value, but Inside is such a great experience.
Inside actually has excellent 1-time replay value.

There's a secret alternate ending that requires some specific criteria!

The best way to play is to play blind on the first play through so you can experience it the right way, then replay after looking up what needs to be done to get the other ending.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I used to gorge myself on JRPGs but now the only new releases I consistently play are Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey, and SMT. Is it really worth getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to gorge myself on JRPGs but now the only new releases I consistently play are Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey, and SMT. Is it really worth getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2?
As someone who was absolutely sure he would not like Xenoblade 2 at all and doesn't really play most modern JRPGs I would say absolutely.

I rented the game from gamefly with a free trial and now im on month two and thinking about keeping it for the $40 asking price.

Now, understand that combat is as far away from the games you mentioned as possible, but for me that's a big part of the appeal. You definitely can't call the combat rote or uninspired.

Also, the Blade collecting might scratch that SMT/Persona itch.

Oct 27, 2017

I loved Xenoblade 1 and X.

Xenoblade 2 is a pretty big downgrade in several ways. It is slllllooowwwww as hell and the exploration isn't nearly as fun as it was in even the first one, let alone the godly nature of X.

Even ignoring those past games, the game is a mess design wise and isn't fun at all. It's a slog and a half.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Xenoblade 2 is a pretty big downgrade in several ways. It is slllllooowwwww as hell and the exploration isn't nearly as fun as it was in even the first one, let alone the godly nature of X.

Even ignoring those past games, the game is a mess design wise and isn't fun at all. It's a slog and a half.
That's interesting becaise I never played Xenoblade 1 or X and I'm loving it.

I guess when I play those games it will feel like an upgrade.

I have a question, this is probably not the best place, but what is the Xenoblade connection to Xenosaga and Xenogears?

They all have giant robots. I know you can get KOS-MOS as a blade in Xeno 2. Is there anything else that unifies them like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. To be perfectly honest the bizarro pants the main character wears immediately turned me off the game when it first was announced.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I love SMT and EO, and I loved Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's my second favorite game on Switch if that counts for anything, and its my most played.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. To be perfectly honest the bizarro pants the main character wears immediately turned me off the game when it first was announced.
The character designs are fucking atrocious, no two ways about it. A big part of why i wouldnt give the game a chance.

For what it's worth, you get used to it.

latest

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You had me until you mentioned time limits at the end. Interest plummeted like a rock.

The time limits are crucial to the game. Without the time limit it would be boring.

You're playing mock-Iron Chef so you're competing against another chef. The time limit forces you to act and think quickly, which is what creates the delicious tension. It's very exciting!

Also, there's a variety of game modes you play in the story and a lot of them aren't timed. The game eases you in pretty gently.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
To be perfectly honest the bizarro pants the main character wears immediately turned me off the game when it first was announced.

No one liked the pants when revealed.

You soon learn to easily ignore it playing or realize that the suit kind of isn't a big deal in context at all. Especially when you actually go diving and the pants fill out properly when doing so.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
How is Owlboy's performance? Read about some issues but that seems to have been a few months ago. 1080p?

I got a bit bored with Owlboy, but I didn't encounter any frame rate issues while I was playing it. I have seen some people reporting crashes though, but I didn't encounter any such issues either during my (short) time with the game.

It might be 1080p docked. Or not. It's a retro-based game, so I doubt you'd notice any difference in resolution above the game's actual resolution.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ooooh, you were a real Sega fanboy, eh? How's it feel to come to the N side? ;)

What were you playing between Dreamcast and Switch!?

I've always been a Sega fanboy (and a huuuuuge classic Phantasy Star fan), but I always liked and played lots of Nintendo games. In fact, during the 16-bit era, I owned a Super Nintendo and only played the Sega Genesis at my friends' houses 0_0

When the Dreamcast failed I kind of lost interest in games for a while. I loved my PSX, but for some reason I wasn't too excited about the PS2. I only got back when the Wii came around. Next, I bought a 3DS, an Xbox 360 and then a Wii U. Loved all of them, sold them when I had enough.

There's something you should know about Xenoblade and Resetera: you can't rely on anyone's opinion about these games around here.

Some people here love Xeno 1 so much that they absolutely hate Xeno X (it's a VERY different game). Some loved Xeno X so much that they consider Xeno 2 a step back. And of course, some love Xeno 2 and think it's oh-so-much-better than all of the unrefined crap that came before. So, if you go by Resetera users, all Xeno games are a huge waste of time ^_^

Resetera opinions on Xenoblade games are basically this:

Xeno 1: Ugly faces, combat sucks, British dubbing is the worst, too many fetch quests, don't play this shit.
Xeno X: Ugly faces, combat is confusing, plot is awful, music is irritating, too many fetch quests, don't play this shit.
Xeno 2: Anime shit, too many boobs, too many fetch quests, awful gacha system, don't play this shit.

That's pretty much how any Xeno thread around here goes + people who love Xeno [1|X|2] trying to prove that people who love Xeno [1|X|2] are objectively wrong.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's really into all those three series you mentioned, I didn't enjoy Xenoblade 2 at all, but that mostly has to do with the writing and characters, I thought the combat was pretty solid and a step up from XC1, though there's still a fair bit of bloat in its systems.

For what it's worth, I ADORED XC1, but the writing in 2 made SMT4 Apocalypse feel mature and interesting in comparison, and it's weird because I'm a gameplay over story guy and had never disliked the writing in a game enough to ruin the rest of it for myself.

Then there's the designs that I'm sure you've read enough about by now, but as an example, that cute design you said you tolerated above eventually
Transforms into a titty maid lol, it's seriously that juvenile.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
As someone who's really into all those three series you mentioned, I didn't enjoy Xenoblade 2 at all, but that mostly has to do with the writing and characters, I thought the combat was pretty solid and a step up from XC1, though there's still a fair bit of bloat in its systems.

For what it's worth, I ADORED XC1, but the writing in 2 made SMT4 Apocalypse feel mature and interesting in comparison, and it's weird because I'm a gameplay over story guy and had never disliked the writing in a game enough to ruin the rest of it for myself.

Then there's the designs that I'm sure you've read enough about by now, but as an example, that cute design you said you tolerated above eventually
Transforms into a titty maid lol, it's seriously that juvenile.
Thanks. I also absolutely value gameplay over story so hearing it was bad enough to actually bother you is pretty damning. I'll probably pass for now.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thanks. You can extend this to games in general though. But there are a few users whose opinions I trust.

Yeah, that's how I go about opinions in forums too!

Regarding Xenoblade games, they're big, ambitious and great at different things. They're all flawed, and how much you'll love or hate them depends on what you're looking for in an RPG. Just bear in mind they're long, complex, heavy games.

I'm not a big anime fan, so when Xeno 2 was announced I wasn't too excited about the characters. I bought the game anyway because exploration is what I love about Xenoblade (they're all great to this regard), but I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying both the characters and the plot (I'm 40 hours in).

I have a question, this is probably not the best place, but what is the Xenoblade connection to Xenosaga and Xenogears?

They all have giant robots. I know you can get KOS-MOS as a blade in Xeno 2. Is there anything else that unifies them like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest?

Well, there are some crazy theories flying around tying all of the games, and it looks like Xeno 2 actually is somehow related to Baten Kaitos (a game Monolith released on the gamecube). In my opinion, it's like classic Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online: some concepts keep coming back, but things you used to know look slightly different, so it's hard to tell whether the games are all tied to a central plot or if they're only constantly reimagining some concepts.

That said, if you put some effort into it, you might be able to fit all of the games into a timeline. Knowing how Mr. Takahashi works, he probably wants to keep things vague and let people dream. The man is a freaking genius.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's how I go about opinions in forums too!

Regarding Xenoblade games, they're big, ambitious and great at different things. They're all flawed, and how much you'll love or hate them depends on what you're looking for in an RPG. Just bear in mind they're long, complex, heavy games.

I'm not a big anime fan, so when Xeno 2 was announced I wasn't too excited about the characters. I bought the game anyway because exploration is what I love about Xenoblade (they're all great to this regard), but I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying both the characters and the plot (I'm 40 hours in).

Well, there are some crazy theories flying around tying all of the games, and it looks like Xeno 2 actually is somehow related to Baten Kaitos (a game Monolith released on the gamecube). In my opinion, it's like classic Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online: some concepts keep coming back, but things you used to know look slightly different, so it's hard to tell whether the games are all tied to a central plot or if they're only constantly reimagining some concepts.

That said, if you put some effort into it, you might be able to fit all of the games into a timeline. Knowing how Mr. Takahashi works, he probably wants to keep things vague and let people dream. The man is a freaking genius.
Wait, what does Baiten Kaitos have to do with anything!?

Yoma

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 does have divisive character designs to put it softly but I personally think the cast and story made it a better game for me. Plus the battle system was a lot more streamlined compared to the previous game.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's funny, I'm playing XBC1 for the first time right now and feel the complete opposite. I adore 1 though, it's been really fun. 2 just blows it out of the water, and I haven't played X so I can't comment on that

Wait, what does Baiten Kaitos have to do with anything!?

Up next on my play list, but you live on a giant beast in this game too, right?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan

Everyone will say Inside, but for me personally I liked Limbo better.
I can play through Limbo multiple times a year and never get bored of it, and I love to challenge myself to do timed no death runs.
The length of the game is perfect for this type of play also.
Inside (while an AMAZING game that everyone need to own) once finished doesn't hold the same feeling.

You owe it to yourself to buy both though, the developer Play Dead are amazing.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade games (1,X,2) are all 10/10 games to me. All three of them, for different reasons. I honestly cannot choose a favorite of the 3. Love them all!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade games (1,X,2) are all 10/10 games to me. All three of them, for different reasons. I honestly cannot choose a favorite of the 3. Love them all!
+1

I personally don't love XC1 as much as X and 2, but it's still an excellent game worth playing. XC2 on the other hand..

I've said it before in these threads, but XC2 might just be my favorite JRPG ever.