• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Timberman VS on the Switch for like 1,80€

It's a very simple game, you have to chop down a tree using the left or right trigger in order to avoid the branches

It's great to play that with my gf who is often frustrated by the complexity of other coop games. here it's just a matter of seeing and reacting. The music is cool and it's filled with funny references

It was neat in Kirby Star Allies

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really wonder how this will do on Switch.
On one hand, I love seeing older games pop up on the Switch. I think I'm one of the few people who bought and enjoyed Rogue Trooper. So it's cool to see another PS2-era release.

On the other hand, I played the PS4 version of Legend of Kay and thought it was terrible. I didn't play the original release, but it seemed like it wasn't just an issue of it aging poorly. I feel like even in the PS2 days I would've found it clunky and dull.

Oct 30, 2017
I have to say, the patch for FX3 has made a world of difference. The game is freaking fantastic now. Unbelievable. I want all the tables now.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I showed my girlfriend the trailer to Late Shift. Now she does not like video games at all. Not even Candy Crush on her phone.

I explained how Late Shift works. You choose the progression of the "film". And she was completely up for it. Plus it's around the cost of a real DVD anyway. 8/10 on Nintendo Life. So I purchased.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I showed my girlfriend the trailer to Late Shift. Now she does not like video games at all. Not even Candy Crush on her phone.

I explained how Late Shift works. You choose the progression of the "film". And she was completely up for it. Plus it's around the cost of a real DVD anyway. 8/10 on Nintendo Life. So I purchased.

I was curious about this game, let us know how you both enjoy it. And if it takes up much hard drive space.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Any thoughts on Kingdom New lands?

'Kingdom: New Lands' is amongst my TOP 10 Switch titles released in 2017, very close to 'Breath of the Wild', 'VOEZ' or 'Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle'.

A very clever mix between a minimalistic city builder with tower defense elements, and a roguelike full of sense of wonder and crypticism.

It has one of the most beautiful pixel arts created in a contemporary title, with a day-night real time lightning cycle which is also affected by the season of the year.

Plus a superb sound design.

Also, I recommend you to not read too much about the game or its mechanics. Great part of the experience consists in its capacity of surprising the player.

latest

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
'Kingdom: New Lands' is amongst my TOP 10 Switch titles released in 2017, very close to 'Breath of the Wild', 'VOEZ' or 'Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle'.

A very clever mix between a minimalistic city builder with tower defense elements, and a roguelike full of sense of wonder and crypticism.

It has one of the most beautiful pixel arts created in a contemporary title, with a day-night real time lightning cycle which is also affected by the season of the year.

Also, I recommend you to not read too much about the game or its mechanics. Great part of the experience consists in its capacity of surprising the player.

latest

Cool. Sounds like it is worth the $8 or so to me then. :)

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on Kingdom New lands?
I love it. There is a curve you have figure out and balance. It definitely gets difficult.

It's just as much resource mgmt as it is town builder. understanding when to make your move is very important. You can't really turtle and hoard . So taking a couple runs to get all that is important

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

latest

I remember reading about some performance issues on switch early after release. Is this still an issue?

Also, does anyone know if we get two crowns as an update for this version?

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Fairune Collection releasing May 17th. Includes Fairune 1, Fairune 2, Fairune Origin, and Fairune Blast. Not sure we know any details about Fairune Origin and Fairune Blast, as they seem to be new games. If I had to guess, Origin is maybe an early prototype for the original game, and Blast is some kind of a minigame.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wow i did not know pixel junk monsters was on switch, maybe i've been in a cave but that is a fucking win, the first one was great

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Fairune Collection releasing May 17th. Includes Fairune 1, Fairune 2, Fairune Origin, and Fairune Blast. Not sure we know any details about Fairune Origin and Fairune Blast, as they seem to be new games. If I had to guess, Origin is maybe an early prototype for the original game, and Blast is some kind of a minigame.

'Fairune Blast' is a shmup spinoff of the series :)

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the patch improving the performance, it received one additional patch with a new island and tons of new content.

So the game is still being updated with this new content also coming to Switch :)
Well except Two Crowns is going to be a stand-alone release now according to that link. So it appears no version is getting the 'update' much like how New Lands is Different from the original version.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I remember playing Kingdoms at PAX 2 years ago and while I liked it, it was really opaque and tough to get into. I assume it improved substantially between then and the game's release, but is it really something you can learn to play gradually without using a FAQ unlike so many other roguelikes?

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How is Rogue Trooper, anyway? I had my eye on it a while ago, but got distracted by other titles. Never played the original but might get it to scratch my post-Doom shooter itch.
I liked it, but it is very much a product of its time. The Switch release is just a slightly prettier version of the original, so it plays exactly like a shooter from the PS2/Xbox era. There are extended turret sections, dumb AI, and very straightforward missions. Go here, kill dudes, plant explosives, kill more dudes. Repeat until credits.

I picked it up on release because it was one of the first shooters on the Switch and I still enjoy games from that era. It's a totally competent shooter, nothing more and nothing less. That's enough for me, but if you're looking for something closer to modern shooters you'll be really disappointed.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Wow i did not know pixel junk monsters was on switch, maybe i've been in a cave but that is a fucking win, the first one was great

The initial impressions I read about the demo for 2 haven't been the most encouraging. A lot of complaints about the camera being locked in too close too.

The best tower defense game on the Switch will be defender quest when it releases. :)

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I remember playing Kingdoms at PAX 2 years ago and while I liked it, it was really opaque and tough to get into. I assume it improved substantially between then and the game's release, but is it really something you can learn to play gradually without using a FAQ unlike so many other roguelikes?

I found it incredibly obtuse, as far as rogue like progression goes. I didn't pick up much of the nuances without searching for outside sources. The difficulty barrier is very high/punishing/frustrating, at least it was for me, and I ultimately found it offputting entirely. It's a really nice game though, and worth that discount price, but unless you put some time into it, don't have grand expectations regarding progression.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I liked it, but it is very much a product of its time. The Switch release is just a slightly prettier version of the original, so it plays exactly like a shooter from the PS2/Xbox era. There are extended turret sections, dumb AI, and very straightforward missions. Go here, kill dudes, plant explosives, kill more dudes. Repeat until credits.
Yeah, I figured as such. How does it hold up in terms of graphics and sound? Any gyro controls, or are they not needed?

Nov 8, 2017
Gosh I cannot wait for Unexplored to come out. Recently got into Brogue for the first time, which this game is heavily inspired by. The procgen in Unexplored sounds really damn neat and unique, check out this article(sorry if that was posted before). Needs to come out already! I know it's out on Steam but I'm waiting for the Switch version to hop in.

"Spring 2018". So hype!

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Just got Furi last night and made it to the third boss. I can't believe I missed this. It's like No More Heroes without the boring segments and a better combat system.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I figured as such. How does it hold up in terms of graphics and sound? Any gyro controls, or are they not needed?
I think it's fine visually. No noticeable framerate issues. The geometry is very simple since it's an older game. It really looks like an Xbox game with the resolution bumped up. I can't say much in regards to audio, since I played in handheld mode and never used headphones. I don't want to judge it based on Switch speakers, but what I remember was fine.

It does not support gyro controls, unfortunately. It would be better if it did, but the controls are pretty standard fare for a game from the era.

It is a very average game. I know that's not a glowing endorsement, but if you're okay with an average, dated game it's totally fine. It has also been out for a while and hasn't gone on sale yet, so unless THQ Nordic forgot it existed I could see it getting a discount at some point. Might be best to wait for that if you're curious about it. The Switch now has better shooter options than it did when Rogue Trooper was released, so I can only recommend it if you really enjoy older TPS games.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, I love seeing older games pop up on the Switch. I think I'm one of the few people who bought and enjoyed Rogue Trooper. So it's cool to see another PS2-era release.

On the other hand, I played the PS4 version of Legend of Kay and thought it was terrible. I didn't play the original release, but it seemed like it wasn't just an issue of it aging poorly. I feel like even in the PS2 days I would've found it clunky and dull.

I played it on Wii U for the first time several years ago. It's not that great of a game (but I didn't feel my time was wasted or I regretted playing it), and you can't backtrack to previous areas to gather missed items and things of that nature. The soundtrack by Jake Kaufman of Shovel Knight and Shantae fame is pretty good, though. That's a plus!

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

Roguelikes are a genre in which your progress don't depend in your skills or abilities, but it depends of your management of a knowledge.

In a good roguelike, all is about this knowledge of the rules of the world linked to a progression.

Giving the permadeath intrinsic rule in these games, to die is as much as to earn a high level of experience and improving your character through this knowledge: this concrete death will teach you a new rule to survive, a new fixed parameter about the behavior of a creature or a mechanism in the game.

'Kingdom: New Lands' perfectly understands this mysterious essence of the old classic roguelikes, and it tries to construct its lore and universe relying in this crypticism.

It's a game sustained in its ambience and with a very slow pace, centered around observing and feeling immersed into a natural environment with rules that you still need to discover, infused with the same ethos than the first 'Zelda' for NES or than its spiritual successor, 'Breath of the Wild'.

With all of that said, the developers created a game that you can learn to control and being able to understand in every essential thing from a mechanical standpoint in less than 5 minutes, with a control scheme using only 2 directional buttons and an action button, showing a true mastery regarding video game design.

Yeah, every rule of its world is opaque in an intentional way. But I will say that is not more opaque than the first 'Zelda' for the NES played without a guide, and 'Dark Souls' is much more opaque and with a more complex set or rules without an explanation to the player.

Because contrary to the current tendency of explaining every single rule in a video game in evident ways through tutorials, these games are trying to let a door open to the mystery, to reward the curiosity of the player.

And it's great that in the current market, there are still developers taking the risk of this concrete approach to video game design.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Aegis Defenders' demo is good, yo!
Wasn't considering getting it before but I am now.
Other options are Heart & Slash, Lichtspeer, and World to the West.

Any opinions about the latter 3?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Aegis Defenders' demo is good, yo!
Wasn't considering getting it before but I am now.
Other options are Heart & Slash, Lichtspeer, and World to the West.

Any opinions about the latter 3?

Of those three I've played 0 but WttW is the one I am most interested in.

Aegis Defender is great. Not sure why it has gotten such a bad rap.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Any thoughts on Escapists 2? Not played either game but looks interesting

Heard there were some performance/crash issues at launch on switch but not sure if they've been fixed or not

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Romancing SaGa 2? Bare in mind that was originally a SNES title that didn't come to the west until recently & I haven't played it myself.

There's really not much else that's digital only, as the others I'd recommend like the Octopath Traveler demo are going to be physical releases.