UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Fuck it, I preordered Everspace because I'm still waiting for the galactic edition on PS4 from LRG. I'll be playing it on Switch before they ever manage to ship the game I bought before the Switch version is even announced.

I'm sure someone will turn around a offer a physical edition of the Switch version at some point and then the cycle will be complete.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I played Everspace in early access on PC and remember liking it, but not loving it enough to stick around for more than a few sessions.

It's gone through a *lot* up updating and iterating (and an expansion I think?) since then, so I'm wondering if it's worth diving into now. I'm tempted to pick it up again on Switch. I bet it runs well.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EmbellishedGorgeousEstuarinecrocodile-small.gif

I bet Nintendo introduce SNES next year around the first anniversary of the service to entice subscribers to renew for another year. Start off with a small handful of games then drop one or two per month along with one or two NES games. The catch: They'll opt for a tiered membership plan where it's $20/year for just NES, and $30/year for both NES/SNES. Everyone will whine and moan and the world will continue to spin on its axis.

The real mystery is what they're planning to do with Game Boy/Color/Advance, if anything. Game Boy Classic? Bundle them in with the membership tiers? Both? Nothing?

Nothing.
I think you're on the money and I definitely see tiered pricing coming into play.

No way they continue to charge a flat $20/year for everything. I think $10 add-on per system is likely.

My debit card won't work on the japanese eshop, how do I make this work I want to play Phantasy Star right now dammit!
Just buy a JP eShop card from an import store or ebay. Instant delivery.

Look, 1,000 Y for $12 USD

https://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-eshop-card-1000-yen-japan-account/13/704a2v

gillty

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver - Kansai
My debit card won't work on the japanese eshop, how do I make this work I want to play Phantasy Star right now dammit!
Send money from one PayPal account from your debit card country to another Japanese account linked to your eshop account.

Although this might not work without a Japanese credit card or another payment method to verify the Japanese PayPal account. (Having formerly lived in Japan I have an old Japanese PayPal account which I use for this purpose)

The full proof but going to cost you approach is to buy Japanese eshop bucks cards
(**although be warned you won't be able to switch your account back to your native eshop region if you have any balance left in your eshop wallet after you purchase Phantasy Star**) Therefore I would use a secondary eshop account dedicated for Japanese purchases if you decide on the eshop point card route.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Buy eShop cards from a retailer like SEAGamermail. I wish Amazon JP had eShop codes still but last Sept they removed them and I don't know why. D: And yeah, don't support Play Asia, they backed the GG Hategroup a while back and aren't at all afraid to express it (that, and they take an eternity to have packages come from them to your house while Amazon JP does it in a week for less shipping fees)

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I recently became inundated with new games all at once and I have decision anxiety with what to play.

Diablo 3
Mario Tennis
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Civilization VI
Skyrim
Zelda BotW

Some of these I've played before - a bit of Skyrim in PS3, some Diablo on PS4 and 25ish hours of Zelda on Wii U.

DBF is the first game I've picked up that has made me really appreciate Hori's D-Pad JoyCon, it makes the game viable in handheld mode.

No, I have never heard of that being the case on any digital store. Regional purchases are never linked. It's all seperate.

Besides, that doesn't even make sense because accounts are region-specific, so how would a Japanese account get access to a different region's listing?

I'm glad you were finally able to pick up Skyrim on sale...!

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Ark: Survival Evolved review.
Surprisingly positive! Well, better than I expected, anyway. He does complain a bit about the image quality, but enjoys the gameplay.

I'll give some impressions Friday People love to shit on this game, for many many reasons. Even when they've no time playing it. I think I was just under 500 hours on the PC, but haven't played in a year or so, and I definitely can shit on it in ways, but in ways it offers a really compelling gaming experience. If not at times, painful due to losing animals.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you were finally able to pick up Skyrim on sale...!
Yeah, although I now kind of regret it in the wake of Bethesda's response to their false advertising with the Fallout 76 $200 CE.

That kind of contempt for your diehard fans (who else would drop $200 on a game that had such concerning previews?) doesn't deserve anyone's support, regardless of which game brings them the revenue.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been all-digital for awhile, only ever owning one physical game per system for the most part since the beginning of this gen.

Recently coming into 5 new games I'm excited about playing, all physical, has shown me just how much all-digital rules. I really hate fiddling with the little game cards and having to mind them if I want to change games on the fly.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Weird. Guacamelee 2's page is up, and shows a discount. But when I sign in, the discount vanished and it won't let me buy it.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...d-software/Guacamelee-2-1475565.html#Overview

Edit: Oh I think I know why. Owning the first game is meant to get you a 30% discount on the second. But with there being a preload discount of 10% already, I expect the website is getting confused and can't apply both discounts.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Marenian Tavern Story looks right up my alley. I'm curious to know if they kept the microtransactions from the mobile game though. That would cheapen it a bit for me. Also, I can't wait for Kingdom: Two Crowns next month. I put countless hours into New Lands on my Switch this year.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I have been all-digital for awhile, only ever owning one physical game per system for the most part since the beginning of this gen.

Recently coming into 5 new games I'm excited about playing, all physical, has shown me just how much all-digital rules. I really hate fiddling with the little game cards and having to mind them if I want to change games on the fly.
Yeah, I'm almost exclusively digital this gen. I just find I never actually play a physical game unless it's already in the system. Hence why BotW has pretty much permanent residence in my Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought SteamWorld Heist Ultimate Edition on sale yesterday.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that this game is freakin' awesome.

I would also like you all to know I am hitting myself for not playing this game THREE YEARS AGO on 3DS. WTF was I thinking

Better late than never. I picked this up on 3DS day one (more because of the genre than the developer at the time, as I thought Dig 1 was painfully average, and now I'm totally in the bag for anything and everything Image & Form will give us), and blew through it over a weekend at the exclusion of everything else, and now you understand why I've been pushing Heist on everyone ever since. And after telling others about the game throughout the sale, I couldn't help talking myself into a double-dip.

Definitely accelerate Into the Breach up your backlog after you're done, or trust me, you'll be kicking yourself in exactly the same way.

I see Don't Starve is 50% off on the Canadian store. How is that on Switch? Not that I played any other version either.

I've put a significant amount of time into Don't Starve on PC over the past five years, so I can speak for the game, but not for its Switch port, at least not firsthand. It's an outstanding, absurdly content-packed game in ways that many players never see because they don't survive long enough to witness it. It's secretly a base-building and resource/economy management game wrapped inside a permadeath survival action game, and there is so much going on in it that you could be 40 to 50 hours deep in a single file and still see something (or learn how to use something) for the very first time. It also has a sizeable roster of playable characters with unique mechanics that takes no time at all to unlock. People always ask about city-builders, base defence games, or RTS on Switch, and I always like to pull this out as a surprise recommendation because it's really not obvious, until you dig in deep, that this is what Don't Starve offers in spades.

The Switch version contains all of the following:

- Don't Starve (vanilla) — The base game, with two seasons that rotate back and forth. Excellent and addictive in its own right, but once you learn it, it's not hard to survive against all threats, sit on a massive resource surplus, and want to move on to something harder. Worth playing first to learn the basics and unlock/try the alternate characters.
- Reign of Giants — A significant expansion on the base game. Four seasons, tons of new recipes/enemies/events, and a big spike in difficulty due to a few rebalanced mechanics like food spoilage. Content-wise it's immense, and you won't want to go back to vanilla afterwards, but not everyone will like its heavier focus on combat over passive base-building (it's balanced around preparing for end-of-season bosses that try their hardest to wreck your stuff).
- Shipwrecked — A total conversion of the main game with its own rule set, enemies, seasons, and crafting/tech. Generally considered the hardest of the three; it controls like the others but it's otherwise a game you'll learn from scratch. It's a much more migratory adventure where you sail around small islands and have far less room to build everything in one place.

The Switch version does not include the following:

- Mods. On PC there are a lot of minor QoL/UI enhancements that experienced players crave after a while and take for granted, most of them involving maps and numerical displays. The unmodded game hides a bit too much information sometimes.
- Hamlet (new expansion currently in a very brief Early Access beta before it releases in December, introducing some RPG town mechanics and other things). It's likely to come to Switch in some form, either as a paid expansion or a stand-alone product, but there has been no announcement as yet.
- Don't Starve Together (separate, stand-alone multiplayer product, most similar to RoG but with its own rule set). Easier than the original game because of how it handles death and respawns, but not really as good as the concept sounded, at least back when I tried it.

However, the Switch version has one thing that I really would have loved on PC, a killer feature so important that I would probably go with the Switch if I were a new player:

- Suspend/resume. Since the game is built around permadeath, there is no reloadable manual save and an auto-save that is only triggered every in-game day. On PC that means this creates an incredibly addictive one-more-turn effect as you cascade from day to day, but it also makes the game more of a marathon experience than something you can take in small doses. On the Switch you can take a break when it actually feels natural to do so.

The Switch version had a few notable bugs at launch, including some that crashed the game, but I believe the major ones have all been patched.

The only word of caution I would add is that Don't Starve might not be the best choice for players who truly commit to figuring out everything by themselves by trial-and-error and never looking anything up in the wiki. That's fine for your first few runs and the early game, but the flip side of seeing new content for the first time after dozens of hours into a file is that sometimes, these are novelties that will kill you outright—sometimes quickly, other times slowly and subtly. It's honestly a bit too much of a "look it up in the wiki" game once you consistently reach a certain stage of advancement, especially in Reign of Giants. You have to plan way ahead to get far in this game, and you can't respond to everything on impulse, so players who prefer to learn from mistakes and don't like looking things up (and I don't, but even I eventually caved) can expect to lose gigantic volumes of progress.

If you would rather have a game that's much more focused on pure survival (hunger, thirst, campfires, and so on) instead of building huge farms and supply lines and networks of fortresses as you run around the map, look into The Flame in the Flood, a much leaner and focused game that also appears on sale often at 50% off. (I wrote about it in a previous eShop thread.) Many people who adore Don't Starve don't like TFitF very much because it's so much smaller, but beyond the superficial resemblance to Don't Starve's early game, the two are completely different experiences. Don't Starve is much more like the farms-and-caves element of Stardew Valley (not the social element, not at all), but with permadeath. Lots and lots of death.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Better late than never. I picked this up on 3DS day one (more because of the genre than the developer at the time, as I thought Dig 1 was painfully average, and now I'm totally in the bag for anything and everything Image & Form will give us), and blew through it over a weekend at the exclusion of everything else, and now you understand why I've been pushing Heist on everyone ever since. And after telling others about the game throughout the sale, I couldn't help talking myself into a double-dip.

Definitely accelerate Into the Breach up your backlog after you're done, or trust me, you'll be kicking yourself in exactly the same way.
I thought Steamworld Dig 1 and 2 were mediocre so I never gave Heist a passing glance. But looking at it now, it does look pretty cool...
I've put a significant amount of time into Don't Starve on PC over the past five years, so I can speak for the game, but not for its Switch port, at least not firsthand. It's an outstanding, absurdly content-packed game in ways that many players never see because they don't survive long enough to witness it. It's secretly a base-building and resource/economy management game wrapped inside a permadeath survival action game, and there is so much going on in it that you could be 40 to 50 hours deep in a single file and still see something (or learn how to use something) for the very first time. It also has a sizeable roster of playable characters with unique mechanics that takes no time at all to unlock. People always ask about city-builders, base defence games, or RTS on Switch, and I always like to pull this out as a surprise recommendation because it's really not obvious, until you dig in deep, that this is what Don't Starve offers in spades.

The Switch version contains all of the following:

- Don't Starve (vanilla) — The base game, with two seasons that rotate back and forth. Excellent and addictive in its own right, but once you learn it, it's not hard to survive against all threats, sit on a massive resource surplus, and want to move on to something harder. Worth playing first to learn the basics and unlock/try the alternate characters.
- Reign of Giants — A significant expansion on the base game. Four seasons, tons of new recipes/enemies/events, and a big spike in difficulty due to a few rebalanced mechanics like food spoilage. Content-wise it's immense, and you won't want to go back to vanilla afterwards, but not everyone will like its heavier focus on combat over passive base-building (it's balanced around preparing for end-of-season bosses that try their hardest to wreck your stuff).
- Shipwrecked — A total conversion of the main game with its own rule set, enemies, seasons, and crafting/tech. Generally considered the hardest of the three; it controls like the others but it's otherwise a game you'll learn from scratch. It's a much more migratory adventure where you sail around small islands and have far less room to build everything in one place.

The Switch version does not include the following:

- Mods. On PC there are a lot of minor QoL/UI enhancements that experienced players crave after a while and take for granted, most of them involving maps and numerical displays. The unmodded game hides a bit too much information sometimes.
- Hamlet (new expansion currently in a very brief Early Access beta before it releases in December, introducing some RPG town mechanics and other things). It's likely to come to Switch in some form, either as a paid expansion or a stand-alone product, but there has been no announcement as yet.
- Don't Starve Together (separate, stand-alone multiplayer product, most similar to RoG but with its own rule set). Easier than the original game because of how it handles death and respawns, but not really as good as the concept sounded, at least back when I tried it.

However, the Switch version has one thing that I really would have loved on PC, a killer feature so important that I would probably go with the Switch if I were a new player:

- Suspend/resume. Since the game is built around permadeath, there is no reloadable manual save and an auto-save that is only triggered every in-game day. On PC that means this creates an incredibly addictive one-more-turn effect as you cascade from day to day, but it also makes the game more of a marathon experience than something you can take in small doses. On the Switch you can take a break when it actually feels natural to do so.

The Switch version had a few notable bugs at launch, including some that crashed the game, but I believe the major ones have all been patched.

The only word of caution I would add is that Don't Starve might not be the best choice for players who truly commit to figuring out everything by themselves by trial-and-error and never looking anything up in the wiki. That's fine for your first few runs and the early game, but the flip side of seeing new content for the first time after dozens of hours into a file is that sometimes, these are novelties that will kill you outright—sometimes quickly, other times slowly and subtly. It's honestly a bit too much of a "look it up in the wiki" game once you consistently reach a certain stage of advancement, especially in Reign of Giants. You have to plan way ahead to get far in this game, and you can't respond to everything on impulse, so players who prefer to learn from mistakes and don't like looking things up (and I don't, but even I eventually caved) can expect to lose gigantic volumes of progress.

If you would rather have a game that's much more focused on pure survival (hunger, thirst, campfires, and so on) instead of building huge farms and supply lines and networks of fortresses as you run around the map, look into The Flame in the Flood, a much leaner and focused game that also appears on sale often at 50% off. (I wrote about it in a previous eShop thread.) Many people who adore Don't Starve don't like TFitF very much because it's so much smaller, but beyond the superficial resemblance to Don't Starve's early game, the two are completely different experiences. Don't Starve is much more like the farms-and-caves element of Stardew Valley (not the social element, not at all), but with permadeath. Lots and lots of death.
How would you recommend approaching Don't Starve for someone who dinked around with it but would actually like to get good now? I devour roguelikes and roguelites but I kinda hit a wall with this one when I first played it. The amount of different ways to die and the amount of progress you lose when you die due to the length of runs are so extreme that it's like Nethack but a survival crafting game instead. I have no qualms about reading the wiki but it's not exactly an intuitive way to learn what to do, but more a way to look up what you did wrong in hindsight. And I had my fill of 11-day runs that ended in pitiful failure without actually learning anything to help me get better. Is there a good video series or guide?

Last edited:

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Sega Genesis Collection... I know it will be on sale... in a few months... must... resist...

I'm very disappointed that the Wonder Boy games were removed from the Switch version, but the list of games is so freaking good. I've played many of these back in day, so nostalgia and all, but there are a few titles I only got to play 5-10 years ago and they were still great fun.

Shining in the Darkness comes to mind. It's a dungeon crawler and I missed it when it was released. I only got to play it on a Chinese portable "thing" in 2010 and I was so into it that I drew maps on graph paper and all:

shining-mapas.jpg

Amazing game after all these years, even if you're playing it for the first time -- though of course a love for 16 bit graphics and gameplay is required.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn,. I thought the Cyber Monday deal was to last all week. I just bought a bunch of Nintendo gift cards for 15% off and was hoping to use them to stack discounts.

DKCR will have to wait until the Christmas sale, I guess. I hope Mario Party gets a sale, too.

Oct 25, 2017
How would you recommend approaching Don't Starve for someone who dinked around with it but would actually like to get good now? I devour roguelikes and roguelites but I kinda hit a wall with this one when I first played it. The amount of different ways to die and the amount of progress you lose when you die due to the length of runs are so extreme that it's like Nethack but a survival crafting game instead. I have no qualms about reading the wiki but it's not exactly an intuitive way to learn what to do, but more a way to look up what you did wrong in hindsight. And I had my fill of 11-day runs that ended in pitiful failure. Is there a good video series or guide?

I never consulted videos or tutorials, so I would say that the biggest outside boost I ever received as a new player was when I scrolled through the subreddit years ago and looked a few picture galleries of giant 500-day mega-bases. I've never built anything nearly as ambitious as most of those, but they gave me a sense of what to look forward to past the early-game survival phase. This is a little trickier to wade through these days because there are so many variants and expansions, but I found it helpful just to say, "Oh, I see, I should have a kill zone for the hounds at night over here, and a food preparation area over here, and a backup emergency camp over there, and it looks like I can replant bushes/saplings/grass for easy access." Just thinking about a network of permanent camps, instead of running around in terror like a chicken with its head cut off, got me much further than in my first handful of learning runs, which ended just like yours.

It also helped to think in terms of efficiency (reducing travel time, making use of nights around the campfire, setting up secondary camps if I need to gather from a biome far away from my main camp, figuring out cooking recipes to squeeze the most out of my food supply) and to look over the crafting menus even if I didn't have the right materials yet, just so I can see what to work towards. The main thing I ever found myself looking up outside the game was how to obtain certain rare materials, if it wasn't intuitively obvious.

The biggest challenges when you're seeing most of the content for the first time are (a) stabilizing your first camp and teching up while surviving the hounds (which will often depend on how long it takes you to find your first piece of gold, often the hardest requirement to get science going), and (b) surviving your first change of seasons. If you've only ever made it to about day 11, you haven't seen that yet, and the first winter is a roadblock that wrecks absolutely everyone the first time they face it. But that's just a matter of learning the basics well enough that in the first season, you stabilize quickly, build up a big resource surplus, and explore just enough of the map that you know where to go when you urgently need something specific. Your main objective early on is to give yourself the flexibility to think about wants rather than needs. The good news is that you only need to understand the early game once, and you'll practically never have trouble with it again.

It's true that until you get to that point, the sheer amount of progress you lose on each file makes for a massive time sink by typical roguelike/survival standards. Once you know how to make it through the season transitions, though (and really just the first one, in vanilla), it's plain sailing. The game gets a lot easier as you tech up and explore. Your defensive options are better (damage reduction from armour makes a huge difference), your food supply is more reliable, and you'll find that the permadeath doesn't matter as much because there are actually a fair number of second-chance respawn options in the game (some of them only usable once, some of them repeatable).

Also, there is one crutch worth knowing in vanilla that makes it substantially easier to learn the rest of the game: cooked food in a crock pot doesn't begin to spoil until you take it out. (They changed this in the expansions and it won't work there, so think of this like a set of training wheels.) So if you have the materials to build a whole row of pots, you can cook a massive surplus of meals and just not worry about food while you work on understanding the other systems.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I never consulted videos or tutorials, so I would say that the biggest outside boost I ever received as a new player was when I scrolled through the subreddit years ago and looked a few picture galleries of giant 500-day mega-bases. I've never built anything nearly as ambitious as most of those, but they gave me a sense of what to look forward to past the early-game survival phase. This is a little trickier to wade through these days because there are so many variants and expansions, but I found it helpful just to say, "Oh, I see, I should have a kill zone for the hounds at night over here, and a food preparation area over here, and a backup emergency camp over there, and it looks like I can replant bushes/saplings/grass for easy access." Just thinking about a network of permanent camps, instead of running around in terror like a chicken with its head cut off, got me much further than in my first handful of learning runs, which ended just like yours.

It also helped to think in terms of efficiency (reducing travel time, making use of nights around the campfire, setting up secondary camps if I need to gather from a biome far away from my main camp, figuring out cooking recipes to squeeze the most out of my food supply) and to look over the crafting menus even if I didn't have the right materials yet, just so I can see what to work towards. The main thing I ever found myself looking up outside the game was how to obtain certain rare materials, if it wasn't intuitively obvious.

The biggest challenges when you're seeing most of the content for the first time are (a) stabilizing your first camp and teching up while surviving the hounds (which will often depend on how long it takes you to find your first piece of gold, often the hardest requirement to get science going), and (b) surviving your first change of seasons. If you've only ever made it to about day 11, you haven't seen that yet, and the first winter is a roadblock that wrecks absolutely everyone the first time they face it. But that's just a matter of learning the basics well enough that in the first season, you stabilize quickly, build up a big resource surplus, and explore just enough of the map that you know where to go when you urgently need something specific. Your main objective early on is to give yourself the flexibility to think about wants rather than needs. The good news is that you only need to understand the early game once, and you'll practically never have trouble with it again.

It's true that until you get to that point, the sheer amount of progress you lose on each file makes for a massive time sink by typical roguelike/survival standards. Once you know how to make it through the season transitions, though (and really just the first one, in vanilla), it's plain sailing. The game gets a lot easier as you tech up and explore. Your defensive options are better (damage reduction from armour makes a huge difference), your food supply is more reliable, and you'll find that the permadeath doesn't matter as much because there are actually a fair number of second-chance respawn options in the game (some of them only usable once, some of them repeatable).

Also, there is one crutch worth knowing in vanilla that makes it substantially easier to learn the rest of the game: cooked food in a crock pot doesn't begin to spoil until you take it out. (They changed this in the expansions and it won't work there, so think of this like a set of training wheels.) So if you have the materials to build a whole row of pots, you can cook a massive surplus of meals and just not worry about food while you work on understanding the other systems.
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I'm juggling a lot of games right now but once I make some room here soon I'll definitely put Don't Starve back in my rotation and work on getting good.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
Any idea at what time Rollercoaster Tycoon Adventures releases on the eshop? It's not even in the coming soon section but it does land in the EU eshop today.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Just preloaded guacamelee 2, I really liked the first one on WiiU and I can't wait to try this one, handheld will be great for this.

And gris definitely looks awesome

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sega Genesis Collection... I know it will be on sale... in a few months... must... resist...

I'm very disappointed that the Wonder Boy games were removed from the Switch version, but the list of games is so freaking good. I've played many of these back in day, so nostalgia and all, but there are a few titles I only got to play 5-10 years ago and they were still great fun.

Shining in the Darkness comes to mind. It's a dungeon crawler and I missed it when it was released. I only got to play it on a Chinese portable "thing" in 2010 and I was so into it that I drew maps on graph paper and all:

shining-mapas.jpg

Amazing game after all these years, even if you're playing it for the first time -- though of course a love for 16 bit graphics and gameplay is required.
I love seeing people's hand-drawn and annotated maps in dungeon crawls/rpgs, thanks for that! That's the reason I love drawing and annotating them in Etrian Odyssey, the way you can infer secret passages and such like from the information you have and how it gives clues about the information you don't (overall size, visable symmetry etc) makes it so satisfying when you make an informed guess about something and find you're right.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
stumbled across some reviews of games like Quest of Dungeons and Dragon Fang Z and am wondering if anyone else has played these. Not big into the anime presentation of DFZ, but the gameplay looks great. QoD looks like fun too, even if it's a little plain.

Are there rogue-likeish turn-based Switch games out there I'm forgetting? I have Crypt of the Necrodancer, which I love, but the rhythm element really puts it in its own category.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If my memory is not failing on me, today there's 4 new demos in the EU eshop:
- Hot Springs Story
- Freedom Planet
- Robbotto
and Fitness Boxing.
The FB demo only lets you do 3 daily sessions and 10 free sessions.

Edit: And Hot Springs Story still thinks that it's a mobile game. Didn't the rest of 'X Story' have the same problem?
DtK3qlbUUAEFVn5.jpg

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Saw a tweet that you could pre order the limited run physical copy of Golf Story at Best Buy. Missed it the first time around so picking it up.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Spintires is pretty nice but no snow-driving level 0/10

Really though I'm very impressed by it. The sound design in particular is unreal, especially rolling over and slowly crunching or bending plants. Incredibly satisfying. The music is horrific though and I had to shut it off as quickly as possible and just tell myself that the game's intended atmosphere really is slow and quiet woodland driving rather than wailing electric guitars lol....... looking forward to playing it more. The visuals are quite impressive as well, especially docked. The menu text is a bit small on my TV though.

Also played just a bit of R-Type last night. I actually like the 3D more than I anticipated, especially with the "retro" filters. And still just a great game all around, in a really nice package.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
stumbled across some reviews of games like Quest of Dungeons and Dragon Fang Z and am wondering if anyone else has played these. Not big into the anime presentation of DFZ, but the gameplay looks great. QoD looks like fun too, even if it's a little plain.

Are there rogue-likeish turn-based Switch games out there I'm forgetting? I have Crypt of the Necrodancer, which I love, but the rhythm element really puts it in its own category.
This feels like an Epilexia type response is needed.

I didn't mind QoD, but it is basic as hell and doesn't really offer much to the genre. It definitely feels like a project that just decided to release in to a full game. I got it for free, and I don't have it installed any more.

I know a lot of people liked DFZ. I think there are some more Shiren style rogues on the switch, but those aren't really my jam, sorry, I go more for the Rogue Legacy types, or the FTL/Into the Breach style that use rogue elements.

I can say I may have been on of the few who liked Has Been Heroes which is like $5 at Gamestop, and is a mixed of Turn Based, tower defensish, rpg, rogue.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Forget Outrun and get Horizon Chase Turbo! It's great.
I'm right there with you and the only reason I say that is because I have bought Outrun each and every single chance they've given me.

Hell, I'm not even a HUGE fan of the game. I just love the look of it so much.

...ah, who am I kidding. I'm definitely going to buy Outrun again for the umpteenth time.

Seeing some talk about topping up Japanese eshop credit. Not sure how well known this is, but if you have a Japanese 3DS, you can access the eshop on there and top up credit using a non-Japanese credit card (in my case, a UK one). If you are using the same account across that 3DS and are also logged in on a Switch, the credit will update accordingly on the Switch and can be used for purchases on the JP eshop. It's obviously a narrow group of users outside of Japan who can do this, so just an FYI for those with a JP 3DS who might not have realised it was possible.
Wow. I... did not know this. I'm a bit weary about accessing the eShop on my Japanese 3DS since it's homebrewed but this is very good information to have. Thank you.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
NA:

• Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
    • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom – Can Jin save Monster World Kingdom? Help our young hero defeat challenging enemies, discover hidden locations and upgrade powerful equipment. You'll also unlock special forms with unique skills used to open new paths where mighty bosses and secret treasures await. The Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom game is available Dec. 4.
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP – Traverse a mythic little realm, use a sword to do battle and evoke "sworcery" to solve mystical musical mysteries. Experience a video game world that is affected by moon phases, and help a wandering warrior monk complete her woeful errand. The Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP game is available on Nov. 30.
Nintendo eShop sales:
Activities:
  • Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Version 2.0.0 Update – A new Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp smartphone update* is now live! The version 2.0.0 update introduces a cabin, improved Friend List and an inventory increase. The cabin area can be accessed via the map once you reach level 15. The cabin is a new area that you can decorate with furniture, much like you do with the campsite. The improved Friend List lets you register a Fave Photo you took within Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp for all your in-game friends to see, in addition to giving Kudos and helping your friends in Shovelstrike Quarry without leaving your Friends List. Furniture, clothing and collected items have all received max-capacity inventory increases, just in time for the upcoming holiday-themed events. Check out the game site for more information about the update.
  • My Nintendo December Rewards – December is a big month for gamers, with the launch of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game on Dec. 7. To celebrate the release, My Nintendo is offering a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate themed December calendar. Redeem your points** to get this cool reward starting on Nov. 30.
Also new this week: