• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have experience of both Dragon Fang Z and Tangledeep? I have the latter and wonder if the first is worth grabbing while it's on sale.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Going try to complete the games I got in September and October, but Pokémon, the Tourist and Where the Water Meets Wine are my likely gets.

Gonna try to not buy anything else since there will be a Black Friday sale.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are not independent, when the same wiki page says that they 5 years ago announced that they would work exclusively with Nintendo.
They'd technically be considered a second-party developer. That's when an independent dev makes some kind of agreement to work exclusively with a console developer. I'm not sure if they have an exclusive contract, or if they just see it best to focus on Nintendo games.

Essentially, think Insomniac before Sony bought them earlier this year. They almost exclusively developed games for Sony on the PS1, 2, and 3 (including several mascots), but this gen they made an XBOX game and several PC games as well.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Do people think Dark Devotion is worth the price? Looks quite cool, but a little expensive as well.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Going try to complete the games I got in September and October, but Pokémon, the Tourist and Where the Water Meets Wine are my likely gets.

Gonna try to not buy anything else since there will be a Black Friday sale.
This is always my intention going in to any new month. I've failed every time.

Still not finished Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Mario Maker 2 or Fire Emblem Three Houses. Not to mention a gazillion other eShop purchases. Ridiculous console. I love it so much.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA

Still not finished Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Mario Maker 2 or Fire Emblem Three Houses. Not to mention a gazillion other eShop purchases. Ridiculous console. I love it so much.
I too have a long list and I will most likely fail this month as well. Lol

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
They are not independent, when the same wiki page says that they 5 years ago announced that they would work exclusively with Nintendo.
Neither Nintendo nor anyone else owns them. They're an independent studio. Their partnership has no bearing on That. Intelligent Systems and HAL Labs are also independent studios.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
It's not "by my logic" it's the actual definition of what a first party developer is:

In the video game industry, a first-party developer is part of a company which manufactures a video game console and develops exclusively for it. First-party developers may use the name of the company itself (such as Nintendo), have a specific division name (such as Sony's Polyphony Digital) or have been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer (such as Rare or Naughty Dog).

Luigis Mansion 3 which is developed by Next Level Games who as far as I am aware is not owned by Nintendo, their wiki page claims they are an independent developer.

We were not discussing who is first party developer. We were discussing which games are first party games. And those don't have to be developed by first party developers

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Crap, I forgot I bought Astral Chain.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Guys, I just beat State of Mind! Wow, it's been months since I last beat a game. I've been working way too much lately, definitely need to slow down a bit.

And it will probably be a while until I beat another game, since the ones I'm playing right now are looong games. I think I'll dive into Fire Emblem, since I kind of can play it while I work, but I still have a loooong road ahead until I beat it (I haven't even reached the time skip yet).

Or maybe I'll go back to BOTW, even though I'm not really enjoying it. I'm going through my second divine beast right now but man... I boot the game, think "this game is awesome" and then I get really bored five minutes later. Hate the action, hate the damn stamina bar, hate the characters, hate all the magnet/stasis/whatever powers. Being a big fan of open world games, I at least enjoy exploring Hyrule, but then I stumble upon another boring shrine... Yet, I feel like I should beat the game, since I've beaten all console Zeldas.

(Please don't hate me, I'm not saying the game is bad, I know everybody loves it, but I don't)

Or maybe I'll just go back to Final Fantasy X. I'm enjoying it, it's surprisingly good to play in short bursts and I think I'll be able to finish it quicker than the other games.

And that's it. I don't know, just wanted to talk a bit about what I'm currently playing.

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Well I preorder one only know of few exclusive pokemon but I picked sword.

Last edited:

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
That new Wardrobe version is really shitty thing to do. You could update your old game for free on Steam but not on Switch. I am actually really upset about this since it is not that long ago when I bought the game and now this happens. If the update is not possible because of different publisher they really should find a way to offer the game for free for those who own original version.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Guys, is it me or A Robot Named Fight's framerate is awful? Like, locked to 25fps giving it an always-sluggish feel where you're fighting the floaty controls a lot? Maybe that's what the title refers to... goddamn. It's weird cause the game had a bajillion updates and I don't remember people complaining a ton about it on previous threads? Haven't looked for the |OT| tho.

I'm trying to look past it, I swear, but it's seriously hampering my enjoyment

Now, why the hell does SUPERHOT stutters at random times and have to ruin the immersion and sleek feel of a game based around controls and movement?

I read the game had similar problems on other platforms too (I only own the Quest and Switch versions) but I didn't know it was also a thing on Switch, can't find many reports about that. At this point it might be that I'm insanely, anally picky or that most reviewers aren't looking at the games they review deep enough, especially for portable mode.

Both games are pretty great but these things DO have an impact on my experience and enjoyment. I wish it didn't but alas..

Not sure where to ask this...

I'm looking at getting a second dock. Is the Insignia dock safe?

there was a great one linked a few days ago around these parts, had a kickstarter and you could use it as a usb hub and with most covers etc. maybe someone remembers.
Iirc it was $50 shipped

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Guys, is it me or A Robot Named Fight's framerate is awful? Like, locked to 25fps giving it an always-sluggish feel where you're fighting the floaty controls a lot? Maybe that's what the title refers to... goddamn. It's weird cause the game had a bajillion updates and I don't remember people complaining a ton about it on previous threads? Haven't looked for the |OT| tho.

I'm trying to look past it, I swear, but it's seriously hampering my enjoyment

I bought ARNF a few months ago and had no issues with it. I mean, the robot controls like Samus in Super Metroid and she's not exactly agile and precise to start with, but considering that being like Super Metroid the point of the game, it feels great to me and I don't recall people complaining about the performance.

That said, you're the second person I see complaining about the framerate on Era this week. It's been a while since I played it, so maybe a recent update messed things up?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I bought ARNF a few months ago and had no issues with it. I mean, the robot controls like Samus in Super Metroid and she's not exactly agile and precise to start with, but considering that being like Super Metroid the point of the game, it feels great to me and I don't recall people complaining about the performance.

That being sad, you're the second person I see complaining about the framerate on Era this week. It's been a while since I played it, so maybe a recent update messed things up?

Mmmhh.. this seems to match with how I recalled the game's performance to be before firing it up yesterday: see, I've played it briefly (less than a couple hours tops) when I first purchased it during its first big sale many moons ago and knowing me (lol) it's weird that it didn't stick with me how bad the framerate was and that everything felt so sluggish. So I guess what you're saying is a indeed possible? Anyone else wants to chime in with their experience?

I dunno, what I'm playing atm is pretty bad :/
a pity cause the game seems neat

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Interested by Romancing Saga 3, but a little wary about the gameplay.

I was interested in Little Town Hero... but the scating reviews convinced me to stay away from it.

Last edited:

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
I got a long flight coming up and doubting between Luckys Tale and Layton.. All the previews on Lucky make it sound like an amazing title, while the only review for Layton makes it sound abit mediocre. Haven't played a Layton game in forever though. Has anyone played the Layton game before on another console?

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Anyone have experience of both Dragon Fang Z and Tangledeep? I have the latter and wonder if the first is worth grabbing while it's on sale.

If you like more traditional roguelikes Dragon Fang Z is great IMO. The fang system is really clever - enemies randomly drop them and they provide different bonuses depending on whether you sacrifice them or equip them. You can only equip 3 so there are some interesting choices to be made. The enemies all have more difficult versions of themselves which can drop even more powerful fangs. It's a fairly challenging game which is how I like my roguelikes and if I recall correctly it has a high score table to compare to your previous runs. One interesting thing is you can choose to send some equipment and items back to the main area to equip before going on a new run. They offer IAP to add additional dungeons but I've never felt the need to get any. The main game is plenty challenging and replayable and the IAP prices seemed high compared to the sale price I paid for the game. Highly recommended if you enjoy roguelikes.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the detailed write-up! I think I might be interested, still got a few days to hum and haw over it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone through what I have played on my Switch just to check out what my backlog is and I am seriously impressed by how many games I have both bought and completed on Switch. I'm at 26/44 (with a few caveats, I beat Crash 1 and 2 in the Crash Trilogy and only counted that once and I counted the NES/SNES apps, which I have beaten one game in each).

What's pretty funny is that the actual Nintendo games have been the ones I have not beaten: Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem, Mario Maker 2, and Super Smash Bros all remain incomplete.

Finishing up Bastion this morning. I beat it on Steam a long time ago, but had to buy it on sale for $3 last month and listen to the Narrator again.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My wallet after 2019 thanks to the eShop

battered-old-wallet-with-last-few-coins-B6R46R.jpg

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I have gone through my Switch backlog and have come to the conclusion that if I stop buying games I still won't finish it before the Switch is dead and the next system arrives.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I just want a deal on Mario Party so I can play it over my vacations with my family.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I just want a deal on Mario Party so I can play it over my vacations with my family.
Better alternative:

Super Mario Maker 2 multiplayer mode. Man, it is GOOD fun if you're playing with people who have any history with playing a Mario game. Even if they don't, it's still fun. Since the screen pulls forward and there's unlimited lives, I feel like its a game open to all ages and skill levels. Mario Maker 2 multiplayer is really really fun. We've gotten more laughs from it than Mario Party, which can drag on. But then again, my kids absolutely LOVE Mario Party (I don't).

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I haven't played anything recently that has really really GRIPED me. I'm enjoying Astral Chain and DQXI, but if I dropped these games tomorrow... I'd be fine.

I enjoyed FE Three Houses right up until the final chapter, when I finally began to feel burnt out. I put in 50 hours, so it's hard to say "I didn't enjoy it" when I played it for that long. But 50 hours is pretty "short" amount of time for me to put into a FE game or any JRPG in general.

I dunno, 2019 hasn't had the type of release that has really really made it into my Games of the Generation. Except for Slay the Spire. LOVE that game.

I'm thinking of buying Witcher 3. I don't like these types of RPGs, but everyone else's hype has me thinking I need to check it out. Same with AI Somnimum Files or whatever its called. Just waiting for some price drops.

I'm definitely buying Pokemon for my kids, and I'll play it too. But I haven't finished a Pokemon game since Yellow back on GBC. I enjoy the games, but I get burnt out and never finish them.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I feel like I haven't played anything recently that has really really GRIPED me. I'm enjoying Astral Chain and DQXI, but if I dropped these games tomorrow... I'd be fine.

I enjoyed FE Three Houses right up until the final chapter, when I finally began to feel burnt out. I put in 50 hours, so it's hard to say "I didn't enjoy it" when I played it for that long. But 50 hours is pretty "short" amount of time for me to put into a FE game or any JRPG in general.

I dunno, 2019 hasn't had the type of release that has really really made it into my Games of the Generation. Except for Slay the Spire. LOVE that game.

I'm thinking of buying Witcher 3. I don't like these types of RPGs, but everyone else's hype has me thinking I need to check it out. Same with AI Somnimum Files or whatever its called. Just waiting for some price drops.

I'm definitely buying Pokemon for my kids, and I'll play it too. But I haven't finished a Pokemon game since Yellow back on GBC. I enjoy the games, but I get burnt out and never finish them.

For what it's worth, i couldn't play Witcher 3 more than 10 hours on PC before giving up. I'm probably at 30-40 hours right now on switch and I'm hooked. I play 50% or more in portable mode since I have a few long flights every month.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Have you thought of stopping buying games altogether and getting back once you know there's something you'll truly enjoy or the urge to play something comes back? This sounds like a negative feedback loop where you're forcing yourself to enjoy stuff and that isn't really where you're at right now.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone play Hard West before? It's on sale for $2 (90% off). I love strategy games, but not really looking for one at the moment after coming off Fire Emblem. Still, the supernatural western atmosphere and XCOM-ish tactics is awfully tempting, especially for that price.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Luigi's Mansion 3 really needs the option to invert the Y-axis. Otherwise, I'm early on but enjoying it so far.

Do we know how much is added/changed compared to the Xbox One release?
You should watch the E3 treehouse segment on the game. They did very extensive changes including camera controls and difficulty tweaks, they went super in depth when they showed it then.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 05 - Just Dance 2020 - Ubisoft - $39.99/€59.99 - 6.9 GB
  • 05 - Ships - Ultimate Games - $13.99/€12.99 - 2.6 GB
  • 05 - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 - Sega - $59.99/€59.99 - 6.3 GB *11/08 on EU*
    --
  • 06 - Construction Simulator 2 US: Console Edition - Astragon - $19.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: $17.99) - 2.5 GB
    --
  • 07 - Monkey Barrels - Good-Feel - $14.99/€14.99 - 3.1 GB
  • 07 - Stay Cool, Kobayashi-san!: A River City Ransom Story - Arc System Works - $13.99/€12.79 - 798 MB
  • 07 - Puzzlement - Gamebra.in - $1.99/€1.99 - 66 MB
  • 07 - Skybolt Zack - Devs Must Die/Green Man Gaming - $19.99 - 4.6 GB
  • 07 - Tokyo Dark: Remembrance - Unties - $19.99/€17.99 (Preorder sale: $15.99/€14.39) - 1.1 GB
  • 07 - The Grisaia Trilogy - Prototype - $59.99/€59.99 - 11.6 GB
  • 07 - Incredible Mandy - Circle Ent. - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.0 GB
  • 07 - The Manga Works - Kairosoft - $14.00/€13.00 - 192 MB
  • 07 - Strange Telephone - Playism - $9.99/€8.99 - 85 MB
  • 07 - Headsnatchers - Iceberg Interactive - $14.99/€14.99 (Preorder sale: $4.99/€4.99) - 2.2 GB
  • 07 - Super Street: Racer - Funbox Media - $49.99/€44.99 - 2.7 GB
  • 07 - Animus: Harbinger - Troooze - $7.99/€8.99 - 1.6 GB
  • 07 - Ritual: Crown of Horns - Feardemic - $19.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: €15.99) - 3.1 GB
  • 07 - Meanders - FrancescoZacchini - $4.99/€4.99 - 1.0 GB
  • 07 - Juicy Realm - X.D. Network - $14.99/€14.99 - 637 MB
  • 07 - Asdivine Kamura - Kemco - $14.99/€14.99 (Preorder sale: $13.49/€13.49) - 1.0 GB
  • 07 - Garfield Kart: Furious Racing - Microids - $29.99/€29.99 - 1.4 GB *11/19 on NA*
    --
  • 08 - New Super Lucky's Tale - Playful - $39.99/€39.99 - 5.6 GB
  • 08 - Sturmwind Ex - B-Alive - $12.99/€12.99 - 1.2 GB
  • 08 - One Person Story - Drageus Games - $2.99/€2.99 - 118 MB
  • 08 - Blindy - Ultimate Games - $7.99/€6.99 - 49 MB
  • 08 - House of Golf - Atomicom - $9.99/€9.99 (Preorder sale: €7.49) - 969 MB
  • 08 - Football Game - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 216 MB
  • 08 - Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaires' Conspiracy - Deluxe Edition - Level 5 - $39.99/€39.99 - 3.2 GB
  • 08 - Jumanji: The Video Game - Outright Games - $39.99/€39.99 - 781 MB
  • 08 - Disney Tsum Tsum Festival - Bandai Namco Games - $49.99/€49.99 - 2.3 GB

- Japan

• 07 - Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party!!!! - Taito - ¥6,500
  • 07 - Doukoku Soshite... Remastered - Red Flag Ship - ¥3,980
  • 07 - Eiga Sumikko Gurashi: Tobidasu Ehon to Himitsu no Ko - Game de Asobou! Ehon no Sekai - Nippon Columbia - ¥5,280

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

I completed one house of Three Houses and did Mario Maker 2 story mode. Both these games have still got far, far more to offer.

I also haven't finished Links Awakening and have barely started Astral Chain. Plus I got Overwatch and Return of the Obra Dinn too. And I got Luigi's Mansion 3.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
This is baffling to me. How long could this game possibly be?

Shinen code without the use of middleware, directly to the hardware. They also focus a lot on optimized code and file sizes.

And download size and game length isn't related. GRIS is around 3.9 GB with a playtime of about 3 hours, Mario+Rabbids is around 2.9 GB with a playtime of around 30 hours.