Does Switch need folders?

• Yes

Votes: 177 35.0%
  • JackNicholsonYes.gif

Votes: 127 25.1%
  • Yes... And themes, don't forget the new themes.

Votes: 212 42.0%
  • I like to live in the chaos.

Votes: 95 18.8%
  • Folder 2: The Dark UI

Votes: 59 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Seems like the update for Zaccaria Pinball is out. It adds a few new remakes, and a couple EM's, and I think some big fixes. Funny, I just asked them yesterday on Facebook, and they said they didn't know when it would be out!

I'll post this on the Pinball thread too.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom just put out both classic MM LC collections this year, they were obviously not going to do the bundle for Switch just yet.

Feb 15, 2018
That sucks that you bought it too.... It just feels very underbaked, and I'm not sure I read anything about the impressions of its weird menu design or lack of leaderboards. A few sites were giving it solid 7's on Xbox, so at this price I assumed there was some meat here to be found, but the ideas on board, seem very minimal, and like you stated, I just don't feel an urgency to explore further..... There seem to be very few mechanics introduced either.

In comparison, the Art of Balance is a solid pickup, and having bought it once or maybe even twice prior on Nintendo systems, I feel much happier with that $9 purchase!

Oh, and I checked on Steredenn, and I played it 8 times prior to last might, as I played twice and unlocked the Daily Runs. I think my gripes still hold, sadly, as I feel there's no inertia, or rumble to the ships and opposing ships. I don't really feel like there's a space battle going in, and the backdrops could be replaced with ajything else, and it would feel just the same. The enemy wave design feels so minimal and doesn't harken back to classic enemy wave patterns, so everything just feels grating to me in this game. I can definitely see it's combo strength, at hand, like you mentioned though! I'll keep at it! And oh, I definitely like solid rogue likes/lites. Even though it's not a hardcore one, I loved Gungeon, and put over 100 hours into it.

Can you tell me how Art of Balance is in terms of the motion controls? Do they work well enough? Is rotation handled by buttons on the joycon?

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Can you tell me how Art of Balance is in terms of the motion controls? Do they work well enough? Is rotation handled by buttons on the joycon?

I was trying to ask about this game but no one answered. But I watched some YouTube gameplay and all of those are played with analog stick and it was stated in one gameplay video that there is no motion controls at all which would make this a bad port because Wii U (and Wii) version uses superior pointer controls. If true I'm not going to buy this. They should patch the motion controls in.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the update for Zaccaria Pinball is out. It adds a few new remakes, and a couple EM's, and I think some big fixes. Funny, I just asked them yesterday on Facebook, and they said they didn't know when it would be out!

GREAT! I've been manually updating the app for the last two weeks with no luck… XD

Edit: Mmm… there's no bundle for all the new tables?

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
NindieSpotlight with 500+ games. Should be vertically stacked, though:

How about 1232 icons:

dgUfXsG.png

Feb 15, 2018
I was trying to ask about this game but no one answered. But I watched some YouTube gameplay and all of those are played with analog stick and it was stated in one gameplay video that there is no motion controls at all which would make this a bad port because Wii U (and Wii) version uses superior pointer controls. If true I'm not going to buy this. They should patch the motion controls in.

Ah, that's disappointing. Thanks for the replies from both of you. Without motion controls I won't be purchasing either.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Day

pupdsltn01dfjecmx5wk193d5c.jpg

Get the city moving

In Mini Metro, you take on the task of designing the subway layout for a rapidly expanding city. Your city starts with three stations. Draw routes between these stations to connect them with subway lines. Commuters travel along your lines to get around the city as fast as they can. Each station can only hold a handful of waiting commuters so your subway network will need to be well-designed to avoid delays.

Eventually your network will fail. Stations will open too quickly. Commuters will crowd the platforms. How long the city keeps moving is up to you.

Key Features

- Compelling, constructive, hectic, relaxed gameplay. If that makes sense.
- 3 game modes: Normal for quick games, Endless for stress-free play, and Extreme for the ultimate challenge.
- 20 real-world cities to design subways for. Each has a unique colour theme and set of obstacles.
- Supports up to 4 players. Build with your friends and argue over the best design.
- Trains! Did we mention them yet?

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

$9.99/€8.49/£7.49 - NA web - EU web - Trailer

10/04 - The Messenger
10/03 - Runbow
10/02 - Little Nightmares Complete Edition
10/01 - Ittle Dew 2+ (Recommended by tolkir)
09/30 - Steredenn: Binary Stars
09/29 - Mercenaries Saga Chronicles

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

GREAT! I've been manually updating the app for the last two weeks with no luck… XD

Edit: Mmm… there's no bundle for all the new tables?

Checking this now...

Apparently, they fixed the bug with the Magic Castle table where the ball would go through a gap under the upper right flipper.

Oh, the leaderboards for some of the tables were wiped! Time Machine is still there, but Farfalla and Magic Castle are empty. I mean, they were: I just tried them, so my crappy score is now first place in both of them. Wesman, I think you had a pretty high score in Farfalla, right?

And still, no option to filter leaderboards by your friends... that's weird, you can do it in the Steam version.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Ah, that's disappointing. Thanks for the replies from both of you. Without motion controls I won't be purchasing either.

you know you could just straight up ask Shin'en on Twitter, right? :)

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently, they fixed the bug with the Magic Castle table where the ball would go through a gap under the upper right flipper.
Nice!

Oh, the leaderboards for some of the tables were wiped! Time Machine is still there, but Farfalla and Magic Castle are empty. I mean, they were: I just tried them, so my crappy score is now first place in both of them. Wesman, I think you had a pretty high score in Farfalla, right?
What? o_O Why would they do that? Weird…

And still, no option to filter leaderboards by your friends... that's weird, you can do it in the Steam version.
I was hoping they added it in this build. Guess we'll have to wait.

BTW, can you see table packs for the new ones? I just see the individual tables.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
...which would result in 206 rows using the the "All Software" feature.

We still don't know if there is a limit...

In the complete disaster that was Wii U with a lot of obsolete concepts taken from the Wii era, I think that there was a limit of 300 games installed in the system, until you were forced to archive some programs.

I want to think that Nintendo has prepared the Switch UI to the crazy people with unlimited wallets purchasing every eShop released game.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
What? o_O Why would they do that? Weird…

They probably changed/fixed something that allowed players to score higher, so the leaderboards had to be wiped. That's my guess.

BTW, can you see table packs for the new ones? I just see the individual tables.

Nope, only individual tables...

Edit: From the pinball thread:

Its a good thing they wiped the leaderboard. The original and remake and tables scoreboards were linked. Happy they fixed that. Will go try it out later.

Last edited:

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm on the fence about getting Overcooked 1.

On one hand, I've seen videos of people playing it, and it's great. They scream at eachother, laugh at eachother... it's obvious that this is a game you need to play with people in the same room since communication is key.

On the other hand...I don't think it would be a game that I would play that much since I barely meet my friends these days due to them having a job/ studies. Yes, I could play it singleplayer, but just like Triforce Heroes, I feel like playing it that way isn't the correct way.

Decisions, decisions~

Also, maybe it's because I'm used to see games being on sale regularly on Steam, but it has being a month since I had a Switch and I've yet to see one of the games I'm interested getting a sale. Yes, I know I'm being kinda of a dick by doing this, but I'm not asking for much. Even a single 25% off would make me happy.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any backers of Nefarious here? I haven't yet received my backer key, and I'm curious of anyone else got it yet.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone know why the EU press release still hasn't come? I know it's been late before but it's usually expected due to an upcoming Direct or a big game releasing on the Friday or whatever right? All of this weeks games are literally out now so there's nothing they could still be waiting for as far as I know?

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Anyone know why the EU press release still hasn't come? I know it's been late before but it's usually expected due to an upcoming Direct or a big game releasing on the Friday or whatever right? All of this weeks games are literally out now so there's nothing they could still be waiting for as far as I know?
NOE's interns are still hung over from all the drinking on Wednesday.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So is there a reason ARENA and Daily Challenge are greyed out on my Steredenn save? Do I need to unblock them in some way before I'm given access to the challenges?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a reason ARENA and Daily Challenge are greyed out on my Steredenn save? Do I need to unblock them in some way before I'm given access to the challenges?
Yeah you unlock them by progressing farther on each run. I think daily challenges opened once I played ten runs. It tells you what is needed to proceed

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still debating Towerfall, but I'm not sure if my kids or wife would actually play it with me.

If it easy to pick up for "non-gamers"?

Gricean

Aug 30, 2018
I picked up minit as well since it looks nice

I adored Minit! The gimmick made it feel like half an adventure game, half a puzzle game.

They are very different. The fun in Runbow is many quick versus matches in succession in various modes. The fun in Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is cooperation on longer levels, with progression.

Thanks! I guess I might lean toward Lovers, then, since I already own Overcooked for quick matches and am planning to get Smash once it's out...

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Played a bit of Vertical Heroes, it's a fun little roguelike, can recommend it, especially for the price in the sale. Artstyle resembles Adventure Pals, gameplay is a bit like Rogue legacy, but vertically.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Hispanicguy wesman

If you were looking for more challenge and variety I'd say stick with it. The platforming and puzzle elements really start rolling in world 4. One level in particular is just one big puzzle you need to solve in order to progress.

The game really needs an options screen.

To be fair it seems wesman and Arturo are pretty down on the game. You should read their posts before grabbing it, NateDrake video and post sparkled my interest too, but then learning there's no leaderboards and sub 30fps are enough for me to pass, but they didn't enjoy the gameplay either it seems.

I gave it a go some more after work last night. The menu design is still too abstract for function, it's a commercial game for Christ's sake! It's so weird to discover a mute button via controller.

It's a very fine game, just kind of there. I think as stripped down as it is, options, menu, control information, lack of leaderboards, it's a decent $5 pickup. If it included those, I'd feel $9 is definitely fair. It's one of those weird games where it fills a hole, but there are so many more compelling games out, and even one's that do this smaller style better.

Side note, Zupapa! is definitely a bizarre game. I read a review where someone compared it to Bubble Bobble, and I guess that makes sense. The sprite work is playful and pleasant, but I'm not sure the gameplay itself warrants a pickup.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else struggle with or actively dislike fully top down game perspecitves?

Un-explored, Soul Blight, Garage, Hotline games, My shifty among many others.

I just struggle to get past the perspective. I recognize there are a lot of great games using that viewpoint but it has become a non-starter for me. Definitely feel like I miss out some because of it.

Which is weird because I used never have issues but now I get right up to buying one of these games and then like nah I'm good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm Sega genesis classic collection is on my to consider list, depends on when it drops, all the Sega Ages games I want are the non genesis ones. It's definit a case of steak vs buffet, and while I'm happy to do the steak on Virtua Racing, Phantasy Star And a few others, it's also fun to have a nice wide sampler of genesis games

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Did anyone notice the new Devolver Digital Mashup game listed in the eshop today? I can't find any info on it, I'm away from my Switch and forget the name. Edit, it's called "I Hate Running Backwards". It has a few of their characters as playable in what looks like an overhead twin stick shooter rogue like. Serious Sam, and Bullet from Gungeon are playable characters!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...wards_charges_towards_a_summer_switch_release

Also there's a new weird drift racing game coming out for $5 soon called "Drift Legends". Looks like an excellent phone game really. Edit....or not so excellent.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Drift+Legends/review.asp?c=73514

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Game of the Day

pupdsltn01dfjecmx5wk193d5c.jpg

Get the city moving

In Mini Metro, you take on the task of designing the subway layout for a rapidly expanding city. Your city starts with three stations. Draw routes between these stations to connect them with subway lines. Commuters travel along your lines to get around the city as fast as they can. Each station can only hold a handful of waiting commuters so your subway network will need to be well-designed to avoid delays.

Eventually your network will fail. Stations will open too quickly. Commuters will crowd the platforms. How long the city keeps moving is up to you.

Key Features

- Compelling, constructive, hectic, relaxed gameplay. If that makes sense.
- 3 game modes: Normal for quick games, Endless for stress-free play, and Extreme for the ultimate challenge.
- 20 real-world cities to design subways for. Each has a unique colour theme and set of obstacles.
- Supports up to 4 players. Build with your friends and argue over the best design.
- Trains! Did we mention them yet?

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

$9.99/€8.49/£7.49 - NA web - EU web - Trailer

10/04 - The Messenger
10/03 - Runbow
10/02 - Little Nightmares Complete Edition
10/01 - Ittle Dew 2+ (Recommended by tolkir)
09/30 - Steredenn: Binary Stars
09/29 - Mercenaries Saga Chronicles

What a coincidence, Nintendo Japan made this their Game of the Day today too.

I don't have this game yet but it looks quite compelling.

Also, it has a very good trailer. Very good.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Checking this now...

I had a high score, well 26 on the Farfalla Remake, which oddly is still there. As is my score on the standard version of Star's Phoenix.

Arturo and OrakioRob I gotta say, two things hit me already about this update e, other than the non ability to actually buy the new tables, or in a pack, I'm not even sure. First, the aliasing seems worse actually, which given how jaggy things were previously, this isn't a move in the right direction. Not sure if framerate is still jittery or not.. .

Second, they removed the bizarre male table announcers and replaced it with some trying to be sexy woman. She's still kind of lame, slightly more professional, but I genuinely loved the tacky and weird sadness to some of the table callouts, name wise, like Star's Phoenix, which had this odd long draw. I'd boot it up, and chuckle every time, and often replay it again and laugh, just to hear that dude.

Edit: Mystic STAR solid State wasn't reset, but Spooky Solid State was reset. I guess it's a case by case BASIS.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the fence about getting Overcooked 1.

On one hand, I've seen videos of people playing it, and it's great. They scream at eachother, laugh at eachother... it's obvious that this is a game you need to play with people in the same room since communication is key.

On the other hand...I don't think it would be a game that I would play that much since I barely meet my friends these days due to them having a job/ studies. Yes, I could play it singleplayer, but just like Triforce Heroes, I feel like playing it that way isn't the correct way.

Decisions, decisions~

Also, maybe it's because I'm used to see games being on sale regularly on Steam, but it has being a month since I had a Switch and I've yet to see one of the games I'm interested getting a sale. Yes, I know I'm being kinda of a dick by doing this, but I'm not asking for much. Even a single 25% off would make me happy.
Just get Overcooked 2, it has online

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Xenoblade 2 today. First ever JRPG Ive finished, never cared about JRPGs, never had any interest in JRPGs until I followed ERAs praise, caved in and bought the game. Very addictive and fun game. It has helped me get interested in other JRPGs like I bought DQ XI on Steam, very fun game and Im currently also playing FFVI on Steam, also a very fun and addictive game.

Also started Torna today, really like it.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Our beloved 'Debris Infinity' is other one to the list of games fucked up by the age ratings systems.

This tweet is a showcase of why a lot of times, we see games disappearing from the eShop in some regions, to make a return some weeks later.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Xenoblade 2 today. First ever JRPG Ive finished, never cared about JRPGs, never had any interest in JRPGs until I followed ERAs praise, caved in and bought the game. Very addictive and fun game. It has helped me get interested in other JRPGs like I bought DQ XI on Steam, very fun game and Im currently also playing FFVI on Steam, also a very fun and addictive game.

Also started Torna today, really like it.

Yeah those are great games.

You should try Octopath's demo too, very charming game.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Art of Balance kicks tons of ass by the way, so pick it up if you haven't. Really fun, but simple co-op/competitive puzzle game. Well worth the low price!

Yeah, for $9 it's a solid, meaty pickup. I'm glad Shin'en put this out again.

Also, Unepic is on sale for $5! Really solid, silly attitude game, and an interesting Spaniard developed game. I really had no clue the Spanish had such a deep trench in the indie scene. I'm really enjoying multiple games from Spain!