Does Switch need folders?

• Yes

Votes: 177 35.0%
  • JackNicholsonYes.gif

Votes: 127 25.1%
  • Yes... And themes, don't forget the new themes.

Votes: 212 42.0%
  • I like to live in the chaos.

Votes: 95 18.8%
  • Folder 2: The Dark UI

Votes: 59 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it didn't have an online mode. That's a load of poop. How's it play? Is the music kind of annoying/overkill?

Is Strikers Plus a fun pickup, hand breakage aside?

So far, Breakforcist seems pretty fun and I kinda like the music. Everything has charm to it but admittedly I've only played for 15 minutes.

Strikers Plus is pretty fun and it's great to have a Strikers game with leaderboards. It's a hori shooter so it doesn't have TATE, if I'm correct. I'd recommend it if you like these games. I'm enjoying it way more than I ever did playing it on the PSP or Vita.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
At this point I think Nintendo should instigate a "bargain bin" section of the eshop and relegate the dross that is constantly heavily discounted to that bucket.

Agree, even the "current offers" section is littered with games that are constantly 70-80% off like a recommended youtube video that won't go away.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Wasteland 2 is a fun game, if you can deal with constant crashing and bugs (you have to save often) then I'm pretty sure you would like it. Otherwise, stay far away from it. From the list of games you are looking into though, Valkyria Chronicles would be my number one, M+R my number 2. Valkyria Chronicles is incredible.

Nice, thanks for the reply man.

Yeah, the bugs are what keep me second guessing myself. Some players seem to encounter almost zero problems, others see multiple crashes a session. There's almost no rhyme or reason to it, either. Plenty of people with release date Switches have no problems, but plenty of others do. Argh.

VC looks incredible. I'm a little put off by the "soldiers portrayed as high school teenagers in war" aspect of the story-telling, but the gameplay looks awesome. Maybe if WL2 doesn't work out, I'll go that route. I'm just so into Fallout-style RPGs that I can't help myself!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far, Breakforcist seems pretty fun and I kinda like the music. Everything has charm to it but admittedly I've only played for 15 minutes.

Strikers Plus is pretty fun and it's great to have a Strikers game with leaderboards. It's a hori shooter so it doesn't have TATE, if I'm correct. I'd recommend it if you like these games. I'm enjoying it way more than I ever did playing it on the PSP or Vita.
It technically has TATE in that you can roate the game as a stock feature of Hamster's wrapper, but that would be silly since the game is 4:3.

Some people really like Plus, others not so much. I personally would recommend 1945 II over Plus if you don't care about leaderboards. Plus feels like a romhack.

I was on the fence about Valkyria Chronicles 1, but I just started Chapter 2 and I already love the game.

Dpu5OftV4AAuE_N.jpg:large

Even though I love JRPGs, my tolerance for their plots and characters has been kind of low lately. Well, it might be too early to say, but I think the way the plot and the characters are handled in this game is very good. It's a Japanese game, it has anime stuff, but it is a game about war, and right at the beginning you go from a silly anime moment to a brutal one, and it's really well done. If the game keeps going like this, it might end up as one of my favorites ever.

Oh, and the music... Hitoshi Sakimoto, from Final Fantasy Tactics. Awesome music and very appropriate.

The funny thing is, I played the VC4 demo weeks ago and it looked really boring to me. I'm glad I went ahead and bought the first game.
It's a great game and a great price, I just wish it ran as well as VC4. Undocked res is terrible.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
OK - finalizing my Switch games for my flight to Japan.

• Starlink
  • Picross S
  • Ittle Dew 2+
  • Cities Skylines
  • BotW
  • Yooka-Laylee
  • Pinball FX 3

I feel like this should cover anything and everything I might want to play. I have Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no expansion pass), so I could snag that to have a long RPG to enjoy. Dark Souls comes out tomorrow, so I might grab that (flight is Saturday), and Marble It Up also is on my radar as something that might be a fun thing to play and chill to.

So my questions are:

• Should I buy Marble It Up?
  • Is Dark Souls worth it on Switch (haven't seen any info yet)?
  • XC2 expansion pass vs Mario Odyssey (having to waggle may be annoying)?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time Breakforcist has been on sale and it doesn't have online leaderboards, just offline. It's a fun take on Breakout though and way better than the other brick breaker game on the Switch.

Apparently the game is very short. I'm interested and I enjoy blockbreaker games but I think I'm going to need it to get cheaper still.

BTW, have you tried Gunbarich? Do you include that game in your comparison? Because that's another one I'm interested in and it's also a very unique take on the genre.

OK - finalizing my Switch games for my flight to Japan.

• Starlink
  • Picross S
  • Ittle Dew 2+
  • Cities Skylines
  • BotW
  • Yooka-Laylee
  • Pinball FX 3

I feel like this should cover anything and everything I might want to play. I have Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no expansion pass), so I could snag that to have a long RPG to enjoy. Dark Souls comes out tomorrow, so I might grab that (flight is Saturday), and Marble It Up also is on my radar as something that might be a fun thing to play and chill to.

So my questions are:

• Should I buy Marble It Up?
  • Is Dark Souls worth it on Switch (haven't seen any info yet)?
  • XC2 expansion pass vs Mario Odyssey (having to waggle may be annoying)?
Are you buying ALL those games for the flight? I don't think the flight is that long.

Oh, just a heads up but about a month or so ago Ittle Dew 2+ was on sale for $15. HLTB says the main story is about 6 hours, Main Story + Extras 10 hours. Something to consider before you drop $30 on it.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the game is very short. I'm interested and I enjoy blockbreaker games but I think I'm going to need it to get cheaper still.

BTW, have you tried Gunbarich? Do you include that game in your comparison? Because that's another one I'm interested in and it's also a very unique take on the genre.

Are you buying ALL those games for the flight? I don't think the flight is that long.

Oh, just a heads up but about a month or so ago Ittle Dew 2+ was on sale for $15. HLTB says the main story is about 6 hours, Main Story + Extras 10 hours. Something to consider before you drop $30 on it.

No, all of those are already on my Switch and updated. Just gives me options to bounce between, haha.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For fun I made a list of previous-gen ports that are available on PS4 & XB1 but not Switch.

I want to know why more of these aren't coming to Switch.

Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection
Assassin's Creed Rogue
Burnout Paradise
Dishonored Difinitive Ed.
Tomb Raider 2013
Batman: Return to Arkham
Bioshock Collection
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Deadpool
Darksiders 1 & 2
Call of Duty 4
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
Day of the Tentacle
Dead Rising 1 and 2
Devil May Cry Trilogy
DmC
Kingdom Hearts Collection
Oddworld Series
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil REmake
Rez
Sleeping Dogs
GTA V
Resonance of Fate
Borderlands Handsome Collection
Bulletstorm
Catherine: Full Body

To say nothing of the many HD remasters left behind last gen, such as Beyond Good and Evil, Soul Calibur 2 and Jet Set Radio.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
For fun I made a list of previous-gen ports that are available on PS4 & XB1 but not Switch.

Assassin's Creed Rogue
Burnout Paradise
Tomb Raider 2013
Bioshock Collection
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Deadpool
Darksiders 1 & 2
Call of Duty 4
*Grim Fandango
Day of the Tentacle
Dead Rising 1 and 2
Devil May Cry Trilogy
DmC
Oddworld Series
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil REmake
Rez
Sleeping Dogs
GTA V
Resonance of Fate
Bulletstorm

To say nothing of the many HD remasters left behind last gen, such as Beyond Good and Evil, Soul Calibur 2 and Jet Set Radio.
Actually, Grim Fandango is confirmed to be coming to the Switch. We just don't know when exactly.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to ask in the Pinball thread...

Any suggestions for a few FX3 tables to grab?
You mean besides the new Williams collection?

Best packs are Bethesda, Jurassic Park, Carnivals and Legends, Aliens vs Pinball, Iron and Steel, Medieval. The Walking Dead is good for $3 and it's appropriate for the season.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
If I intend to get Diablo 3 and play it online, I would have to subscribe to Nintendo's online service too right?

Anyone actually considering to get the game and play it offline?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grim Fandango was announced for Switch over the summer. Day of the Tentacle will probably come too. Pretty sure Broken Age just launched out of nowhere, with no prior announcement.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I've played three rounds of Black Bird so far and I like it a lot. I don't always end up sticking with score-chasing/arcade games for too long but it's got me pretty intrigued that I'd at least like to see the whole thing so I'm sure I'll be playing it for a bit. It's clearly a very polished game, too.
The second boss is quite tough.... it'll take some practice.
I'd like to write up a bit more once I've played it some more, and I'm really curious to see what others are thinking as well.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Anyone have any experience with Sinner? I know it's mostly a Chinese Souls knock-off, but sometimes that's enough. A bit of a hard sell when Dark Souls comes out tomorrow and I'm also getting that, but if it's unique and good enough then I'd definitely pick it up.

I've been going through The Room for the first time today and now I understand why I've heard about it as one of the best pure room escape games for so long. It's maybe a touch on the easy side (although I'm probably only half finished) but otherwise really well done.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
You mean besides the new Williams collection?

Best packs are Bethesda, Jurassic Park, Carnivals and Legends, Aliens vs Pinball, Iron and Steel, Medieval. The Walking Dead is good for $3 and it's appropriate for the season.
What are the chances of the tables having some kinds of discounts? I'd gladly buy them all but it's a lot of tables!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any experience with Sinner? I know it's mostly a Chinese Souls knock-off, but sometimes that's enough. A bit of a hard sell when Dark Souls comes out tomorrow and I'm also getting that, but if it's unique and good enough then I'd definitely pick it up.

I've been going through The Room for the first time today and now I understand why I've heard about it as one of the best pure room escape games for so long. It's maybe a touch on the easy side (although I'm probably only half finished) but otherwise really well done.
Downloading it via gamepass on Xbox now. I have to give MS props getting some day 1 indies for the service.

So I will report back later. I have been able to play several indies I was interested in on Switch with Gamepass. Ultimately bought a few on Switch because of it. I really wish more devs could afford demos as that would normally be enough

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances of the tables having some kinds of discounts? I'd gladly buy them all but it's a lot of tables!
Yeah, i don't know because thus far Zen has skipped Switch during every other sale this year. It's prettt common for PS4, XB1, PC and mobile to have roughly the same tables go on sale at around the same time and Switch has not had any sales yet.

The argument that it's because the Switch versions are newer doesn't really hold water when the new 2018 table packs for Jurassic World and Star Wars TLJ were on sale over the summer on other platforms.

My top 3 $10 table packs would be Williams, Bethesda and Jurassic World.

Carnivals & Legends is probably the best entry point if you just want to dip your toes in at $6. With Sorcerer's Lair & Fish Tales being free that's a nice and varied little 4 table set to jump around.

Oct 25, 2017

Assassin's Creed Rogue
Burnout Paradise
Tomb Raider 2013
Bioshock Collection
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Deadpool
Darksiders 1 & 2
Call of Duty 4
Day of the Tentacle
Dead Rising 1 and 2
Devil May Cry Trilogy
DmC
Oddworld Series
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil REmake
Rez
Sleeping Dogs
GTA V
Resonance of Fate
Bulletstorm

Thanks for putting this together. It's actually a shorter list than I imagined, and were I to blindly fill out a list of requests for last-generation ports, it would pretty much look like the Capcom entries here (USF4, UMvC3, DMC Trilogy, and sure, why not throw in motion-enabled RE4).

Day of a Tentacle is probably a given, eventually. In terms of remasters, Double Fine worked on Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, and picked up where LucasArts left off with DotT, and they've already shipped Broken Age for the Switch (a platform that furthermore has a point-and-click audience, as the wonderful and highly recommended Thimbleweed Park found out last year).

I don't recall who worked on the recent remaster of The Curse of Monkey Island (MI3). The Secret of Monkey Island (MI1) and LeChuck's Revenge (MI2) are probably longer shots; the remasters were both pulled from iOS a few years ago and were never released for Mac, so I don't think anybody is actively supporting or managing them at the moment.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Yeah, i don't know because thus far Zen has skipped Switch during every other sale this year. It's prettt common for PS4, XB1, PC and mobile to have roughly the same tables go on sale at around the same time and Switch has not had any sales yet.

The argument that it's because the Switch versions are newer doesn't really hold water when the new 2018 table packs for Jurassic World and Star Wars TLJ were on sale over the summer on other platforms.

My top 3 $10 table packs would be Williams, Bethesda and Jurassic World.

Carnivals & Legends is probably the best entry point if you just want to dip your toes in at $6. With Sorcerer's Lair & Fish Tales being free that's a nice and varied little 4 table set to jump around.
Too bad!

Already have the three free tables + the new Fish Tales, plus the Bethesda and Aliens pack and I was waiting for a discount to maybe get the Jurassic World one...

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad!

Already have the three free tables + the new Fish Tales, plus the Bethesda and Aliens pack and I was waiting for a discount to maybe get the Jurassic World one...
Jurassic World one is great and works out to $3.33 a table, each of which can provide dozens of hours over time.

If you don't have the new Williams 3-pack drop what you are doing and buy it now!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Assassin's Creed Rogue
Burnout Paradise
Tomb Raider 2013
Bioshock Collection
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Deadpool
Darksiders 1 & 2
Call of Duty 4
Day of the Tentacle
Dead Rising 1 and 2
Devil May Cry Trilogy
DmC
Oddworld Series
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil REmake
Rez
Sleeping Dogs
GTA V
Resonance of Fate
Bulletstorm

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is coming to Switch. Announced a month ago:
https://nintendoeverything.com/oddworld-strangers-wrath-coming-to-switch/

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Assassin's Creed Rogue
Burnout Paradise
Tomb Raider 2013
Bioshock Collection
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Deadpool
Darksiders 1 & 2
Call of Duty 4
Day of the Tentacle
Dead Rising 1 and 2
Devil May Cry Trilogy
DmC
Oddworld Series
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil REmake
Rez
Sleeping Dogs
GTA V
Resonance of Fate
Bulletstorm

There are so many wonderful titles listed; I would purchase more than a handful if they're ever ported.

If I intend to get Diablo 3 and play it online, I would have to subscribe to Nintendo's online service too right?

100% Offline for me, unless Nintendo begins a discount perk for the eShop with their Online sub- then I'll jump in.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Miles & Kilo is essentially a new Adventure Island game. This is great! Definitely glad I purchased it .

Check it out if you're itching for a fun platformer.

How far are you into the game?

I'm trying to get a S rank in every level, but I have found a difficulty spike in the boss of the second world.

While I can defeat the boss, this is the easy part, to obtain the S rank you need to finish the level with all the fruits.

I'm struggling in the last part of the combat. To save all the fruits in this final part, I need to avoid the objects instead of destroying them with the fruits. But I can't see a logical pattern of jumps, to be able to dodge all the objects.

Also, it seems that I'm the only perfectionist trying to achieve a S rank: all the Youtube videos that I have found with this combat, are normal runs.

At the end, I abandoned the game frustrated.

All of that said, amazing game. In the variant of the endless runners with fixed levels instead of randomized ones, one of the finest, in a tier very close to the masterful level design of the 'Bit. Trip Runner' series.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
How far are you into the game?

I'm trying to get a S rank in every level, but I have found a difficulty spike in the boss of the second world.

While I can defeat the boss, this is the easy part, to obtain the S rank you need to finish the level with all the fruits.

I'm struggling in the last part of the combat. To save all the fruits in this final part, I need to avoid the objects instead of destroying them with the fruits. But I can't see a logical pattern of jumps, to be able to dodge all the objects.

Also, it seems that I'm the only perfectionist trying to achieve a S rank: all the Youtube videos that I have found with this combat, are normal runs.

At the end, I abandoned the game frustrated.

All of that said, amazing game. In the variant of the endless runners with fixed levels instead of randomized ones, one of the finest, in a tier very close to the masterful level design of the 'Bit. Trip Runner' series.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Agree, even the "current offers" section is littered with games that are constantly 70-80% off like a recommended youtube video that won't go away.
You know you can tell YouTube to remove those, right?

<raises hand>

I don't recall who worked on the recent remaster of The Curse of Monkey Island (MI3).
There isn't one AFAIK. It was rereleased on GOG, but there's no remastering involved. It's just running in Scummvm.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I think Nintendo should instigate a "bargain bin" section of the eshop and relegate the dross that is constantly heavily discounted to that bucket.

The Eshop is a clusterfuck & I doubt Nintendo will ever fix it. I only check my wish list to see if any game Im interested in is on sale. Browsing the Eshop is a waste of time : /

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

I adore '#Breakforcist Battle' because of the superb work of Pete Ellison in the music and artistic department. He is so good, that he was hired in the past by Konami, for the soundtrack of 'Dance Dance Revolution'.

If you have a chance, try to play the competitive mutiplayer mode with some friends.

It's the best part of the game, and given how easy are the controls (only a stick with two directions), it's ideal for causal friends that don't tend to play video games but enjoy distilled drinks.

Indeed, it's a game very hard to recommend to people who plan to play this alone. The arcade single player mode is not as interesting as the superb competitive modes, basically because the physics of the ball are too cheap, so the final score will depend a lot of your luck with how it bounces in the side of the walls. Plus it doesn't have online leaderboards.

But it's one of these games with so many style and crazy ideas, that you can forgive the unpolished things.

I'm really curious to see what things they can achieve with a little more of development time.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Just started playing Overwatch recently and am loving the game so I checked out Paladins on my Switch to compare. It's a surprisingly comparable experience in Siege mode, and scratches the same team-based shooter itch.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
They should have some restriction on how often publishers are allowed to have sales but Nintendo probably likes it this way so they look like they have a lot of offers.
They do but these games go on sale essentially every time they are allowed to. If they permanently dropped fhe price there are different rules etc with regards to how they get paid. It is all overly convoluted and overly complex on Nintendo's part

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I was on the fence about Valkyria Chronicles 1, but I just started Chapter 2 and I already love the game.

Dpu5OftV4AAuE_N.jpg:large

Even though I love JRPGs, my tolerance for their plots and characters has been kind of low lately. Well, it might be too early to say, but I think the way the plot and the characters are handled in this game is very good. It's a Japanese game, it has anime stuff, but it is a game about war, and right at the beginning you go from a silly anime moment to a brutal one, and it's really well done. If the game keeps going like this, it might end up as one of my favorites ever.

Oh, and the music... Hitoshi Sakimoto, from Final Fantasy Tactics. Awesome music and very appropriate.

The funny thing is, I played the VC4 demo weeks ago and it looked really boring to me. I'm glad I went ahead and bought the first game.
Is that user-made Switch screenshot? Does SEGA really force their stupid copyright thing in there? Not even Square Enix, infamous for this BS practice, did this.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Love hearing all the Miles and Kilo love here now, but where were all you cowards when I was trying to get people to talk about it and check it out months ago! I demand answers!

I need to get back to it too, I made it through about 40% and got distracted by life.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Already posted this in another thread, but didn't get any feedback:
Anyone played Will: A Wonderful World yet? I'm very confused about the game's quality. It's got really positive reviews on Steam and Bonus Stage gave it an 8, but Cubed3 and NWR gave it a 6 and a 6.5 respectively. Can't find any other reviews. What's ERA's consensus?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
They do but these games go on sale essentially every time they are allowed to. If they permanently dropped fhe price there are different rules etc with regards to how they get paid. It is all overly convoluted and overly complex on Nintendo's part

Okay, did a dev squeal behind Nintendo's back that I'm unaware of? Now I'm really interested in reading more about these claims. Do you have a source?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, did a dev squeal behind Nintendo's back that I'm unaware of? Now I'm really interested in reading more about these claims. Do you have a source?
The source was their old portal that anyone could get in to. It is possible that they changed some rules but it is also reasonable to believe that the rules they had for How long you can go on sale, how frequently and how the percent paid to Nintendo changes are relatively the same.

There were also rules regarding how you priced your title etc and the percent you paid Nintendo changed based on how cheap your game was. It was theoretically better to price your game at like $10 and then put it on sale for $2.50 because of the structure.

Could that all have been thrown out? Yeah, is it likely a lot of it is similar ? Yeah. I mean look at the games that go on sale for 1-2 weeks and then off for 2-3 weeks and then back on. There is a cadence to it.