adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Last month was a killer month, especially with Dead Cells. Most likely best indie game of the year.

Salt and Sanctuary was good. Cosmic Star Heroine is unique, but ultimately I felt it fell a bit short - very shallow game but I do appreciate it was made by just 2 people. Iconoclasts was fun and aesthetically pleasing and Into the Breach is great in short bursts.

As for this month, I'm not sure there's anything I'll be getting outside of Hyper Light Drifter (checked a few reviews, looks good fun albeit very short with no replayability - this is not necessarily a bad thing considering the amount of games out currently).

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I'm sitting here looking at eshop, I have 65$ in my acct, I want to get the messenger but I also want to see how snk heroines does and I def want dark souls. I assume their online service I'll be able to get with that credit too, just trying to plan how to spend that on those titles and also Marble it up comes out in Sept. Anyone know if messenger will still be on sale while SNK heroines comes out so I can check opinions on that one?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Into the Breach is something real special! Is there an OT for the game?

It just shot up my GOTY list. Wow, it makes me not care about getting an Advanced Wars or Fire Emblem game anytime soon.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't post much on this forum but I do keep up with these monthly eShop threads. Nice work tolkir! I buy waaay too many Switch games already and September is looking scary!

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Hollow Knight has some sort of memory allocation or other resource allocation issue. I played 8-9 hours at a time, only sleeping the console, and it got super framey. Rebooting fixed it (although it still stutters when swimming).
I've put fifty hours into it and I've only once experienced a noticeable slowdown when multiple enemies exploded at the same time. I played for an hour or two and kept in sleep mode so maybe its only certain areas that triggers the issue.

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like I go on a switch shopping spree every week with all these sales and new releases

Deleted member 59

So glad I bought Cosmic Star Heroine a couple days back, really enjoying it, even if it is a bit too easy and I seemingly am blitzing through it (I'm in chapter 6 after 2 hours).

It wears its CT homage proudly on its sleeve, but when you go to a festival you realise that this IS basically Chrono Trigger through and through.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
So glad I bought Cosmic Star Heroine a couple days back, really enjoying it, even if it is a bit too easy and I seemingly am blitzing through it (I'm in chapter 6 after 2 hours).

Try to change the difficulty level to Super Spy :)

It's probably the hardest JRPG that I have played in my life. More than 'Nocturne' and more than the first vanilla 'Etrian Odyssey'.

Like, you will die tens of times even in the first combats in the prologue. Demanding you to not make a single wrong movement.

And in some bosses, you will even need to have the exact item combinations, or you're done.

I think that this is one of the greatest things of 'Cosmic Star Heroine'. It can be the easiest or the hardest RPG that you have played, depending on which difficulty level you select.

I adore when games make an effort to appeal to both segments of the public. And 'Celeste' and 'Cosmic Star Heroine' are two prime examples of this approach to game design.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just bought Human Fall Flat as its 50% off and I think my son and I will get some silly fun out of it in co-op mode.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
June, July and (especially) August slaughtered my wallet and September looks even worse! I never thought I'd be hoping for a drought on a Nintendo console but here I am.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Hollow Knight when it was on sale and I'm surprised at some of the frame rate issues during parts of the game. I hadn't heard there were any, in fact I'd heard the opposite some places. So, be warned:

Hollow Knight has frame rate issues in some parts of the game.

It hasn't ruined the game for me, but after trying out some different passive abilities recently, it started happening much more often. Makes me feel like I'll have to decide what abilities to use based off how much they'll affect the frame rate. No bueno.

What? I am really sensite to fps drops and completed the game (35 hours). Imo it has a really smooth fps overall

There were only minor drops in 2 specific small forest-areas down to 40-50fps resulting in some minor stutter. Played docked 100% of the time though

Perhaps the game has some memory leak issues because i never used sleep mode - always turned off the game

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Balloon Fight's Arcade Version was also planned to launch many months ago: Wait for that, I'd say. Same with Ice Climber if they put that out. Hopefully we get more lengthy games and maybe even some I can import from Japan (Battle City, PLEASE?)

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Balloon Fight's Arcade Version was also planned to launch many months ago: Wait for that, I'd say. Same with Ice Climber if they put that out. Hopefully we get more lengthy games and maybe even some I can import from Japan (Battle City, PLEASE?)

While I appreciate to finally have the arcade version of 'Balloon Fight' in an official console port, the NES version is vastly superior to the arcade one.

To begin with, the physics of the game are much improved thanks to the magic of Satoru Iwata. Indeed, how he adjusted the movement in this NES port with a new decimal algorithm is considered among his greatest achievements as a programmer.

And secondly, it has the Balloon Trip mode, exclusive to this NES version. That is something like the blueprint for 'Flappy Bird' or 'Canabalt': the godfather of the endless runners. Being a landmark in video game history.

Third, and not less important, I prefer the single screen layout in its main mode, because it makes much more easy to create complex strategies for scoring. Because you will always see the complete scenario in the screen.

The arcade version of 'Ballon Fight' is cool as an historical curiosity, and an obscure piece of Nintendo history. It's great for preservation to also have this Hamster release.

But as a great fan of Satoru Iwata, the NES version, that will always be linked to his person, it's the way to go.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing again for me, Mario Tennis was my last purchase and simple mode online is AMAZING. Heard good things about Undertale so I might grab that eventually on the little lad, just too much games coming soon to care about that now.

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna ask this again here hoping someone has a response. Has ANYONE been able to play online with a friend in Human Fall Flat? It even possible, or is it entirely broken? Me and my brother have tried dozens of times and can never see each other's game.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be busy this month buying these:

Into The Breach

The Messenger
Freedom Planet
Hyper Light Drifter
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Bastion
Undertale
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country
Valkyria Chronicles 4
TowerFall
Phantasy Star
Thunder Force IV

Double

Nov 1, 2017
I'm thinking about getting Into the Breach. It looks a little bland, but the praise is so high I'm curious.
I had a similiar fear, thinking it kinda looks too simplistic and small in scope, but hell no it isn't!

Played for over 10 hours already and loving it. It's just such perfectly focussed game design. Writing more about it soon when I got the time.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Any recommendations for a cheap game that isn't a metroidvania or a 2D retro platformer? It seems like those make up 90% of the Switch library and I'm looking for something different. I have Rocket League and Okami but other than that my Switch is collecting dust :/

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations for a cheap game that isn't a metroidvania or a 2D retro platformer? It seems like those make up 90% of the Switch library and I'm looking for something different. I have Rocket League and Okami but other than that my Switch is collecting dust :/

Riptide GP is fairly cheap, it's a water based racing game. Haven't played the switch version but it's good on phones.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
What? I am really sensite to fps drops and completed the game (35 hours). Imo it has a really smooth fps overall

There were only minor drops in 2 specific small forest-areas down to 40-50fps resulting in some minor stutter. Played docked 100% of the time though

Perhaps the game has some memory leak issues because i never used sleep mode - always turned off the game

It does seem to be a memory leak issue. After restarting my switch the frame rate was much better.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if Shikhondo will have tate support?

...with that said, the game has such beautiful side-art that it would almost be a waste to play vertically...

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
In an interview with M2:

Talking about Gradius Rebirth, Contra Rebirth and Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth in a poll for games that should be re-released
All three Konami ReBirth series games developed by M2 ranked in on the poll, which pleases Horii and the rest. They acknowledge that now that Wii Points cannot be added anymore, it's much harder to play the Wiiware titles, making them 'nice titles' to consider bringing to other platforms.

Talking about the M2 Shot Triggers series of shmups (Dangun Fevron, Battle Garegga, Ketsui and Mahou Daisakusen)
M2 are currently testing out their M2 Shot Triggers releases on Nintendo Switch, but haven't been able to solve the processing speed and slowdown issues yet in a manner they are satisfied with. However, Horii clarifies that the slowdown has nothing to do with the Joy-Con controllers, contrary to online reports that there is some input delay for them. One of the current releases M2 is working on for the Switch is Sega Ages Thunder Force IV, and until their releases are able to reach that quality, they do not want to release the games.

About the Switch in general
On the topic of the Nintendo Switch, M2 thinks that the hardware is a great opportunity to try out games that were originally motion-controlled or used a joystick. Kubota cites Nintendo Labo as a great inspiration to try working with games that used a special interface. They jokingly stated that perhaps they should include a cardboard controller for those.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Speaking of Shmups, a reminder that this is coming next week:

Shikhondo Soul Eater

Physical version also coming.

shikhondo-soul-eater-eastasiasoft-nintendo-switch-ps4-cover.jpg

Gricean

Aug 30, 2018
Any recommendations for a cheap game that isn't a metroidvania or a 2D retro platformer?

Thus far I've enjoyed:
  • Jotun, which is a hand-drawn action/exploration game that includes environmental puzzles and tough bosses
  • Fe, which is a 3D platformer that's mostly good but has a few performance issues here and there (usually fixable with reboot)
I also really liked Night in the Woods, Bad North, and Gorogoa, though I'm not sure if any of these would draw your attention... what sort of games do you enjoy?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Thus far I've enjoyed:
  • Jotun, which is a hand-drawn action/exploration game that includes environmental puzzles and tough bosses
  • Fe, which is a 3D platformer that's mostly good but has a few performance issues here and there (usually fixable with reboot)
I also really liked Night in the Woods, Bad North, and Gorogoa, though I'm not sure if any of these would draw your attention...

Thanks. I played Night in the Woods and enjoyed it. I don't hate 2D games I just feel like they're a dime a dozen on Switch. Especially when they have a retro focused and uses pixel art which I'm so sick of at this point.

Gricean

Aug 30, 2018
Thanks. I played Night in the Woods and enjoyed it. I don't hate 2D games I just feel like they're a dime a dozen on Switch. Especially when they have a retro focused and uses pixel art which I'm so sick of at this point.

It's a common style nowadays. I personally really enjoy it, but can understand the fatigue.

I'd suggest looking into The Banner Saga, though I can't yet recommend because I haven't tried them myself.

Also keep an eye out for Bastion coming this November.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Here are some. Don't know what your definition is of cheap so check the prices:
* Into the Breach
* Steamworld Heist
* Battle Chef Brigade (currently on sale, and got an big expansion just recently)
* Golf Story
* Thimbleweed Part
* Picross S or S2 (I haven't played S2, but I guess it's the same)
* Tumblestone (great puzzle game, and often discounted)
* Fast RMX (3D space racing game)
* Cat Quest
* INSIDE
* Ikaruga
* Stardew Valley
* Yoku's Island Express (slight metroidvania elements, but mostly a pinball discovery game)
* Night in the Woods
* Thumper
* West of Loathing
* World of Goo
* Lumines Remastered
* Flipping Death
* RIVE: Ultimate Edition
* Pinball FX3 or (with some fun tables)
* Ironcast
* Rogue Aces
* Detention
* Blossom Tales
* Cosmic Star Heroine
* The Adventure Pals (it's a 2D platformer, but not that retro)
* Snake Pass
* Pool Panic
* Human Resource Machine (if you like programming-type puzzles)
* The Escapists 2
* The Lion's Song
* Graceful Explosion Machine

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered hitting eShop in the west Oct. 16th for $20, 25% off discount if you downloaded VC4.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
It should be noted that 'Balloon Fight' was originally born in the arcades, and it was the Nintendo answer to the US fever for 'Joust'.

To put a bit of context, 'Joust' was one of the most successful titles thanks to its co-op mode between two players.

So giving that the basic mechanic of 'Balloon Fight' was taken from 'Joust', it was a game whose main purpose was its two players co-op mode.

Later, for the NES release, and with Satoru Iwata in board, they vastly improved the physics, changed to a fixed screen layout and added the GOAT Balloon Trip mode.

The thing is, this new re-arranged NES version was immensely popular, but as a single player game. And the arcade game was never able to compete with 'Joust', creating a co-op "fever" with people going to the arcades with only the excuse of playing 'Balloon Fight'.

Nintendo tends to be very persistent with their ideas. And a lot of times, after a failed attempt, they will try the exact same idea decades later.

So seeing all of these promotional images of the Nintendo Switch Online, promoting the online co-op multiplayer of 'Balloon Fight', always makes me smile :)

Like damn, they are trying once again the exact same thing. Making of 'Balloon Fight' a co-op cult classic.

nintendo_switch_online_05.png
Good post Epilexia! You make me feel better about paying Nintendo for their online subscription, they should hire you!

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Don't sleep on Western 1849 Reloaded. Very fun arcade shooter that even lets you use the joycons as your guns. It uses gyro to track the movement, its very precise for now.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
In an interview with M2:

Talking about Gradius Rebirth, Contra Rebirth and Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth in a poll for games that should be re-released

Talking about the M2 Shot Triggers series of shmups (Dangun Fevron, Battle Garegga, Ketsui and Mahou Daisakusen)

About the Switch in general

M2, my eShop funds are yours. The more obscure the better. Bring all of it over to Switch. And then feed us some Saturn stuff.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Here are some. Don't know what your definition is of cheap so check the prices:
* Into the Breach
* Steamworld Heist
* Battle Chef Brigade (currently on sale, and got an big expansion just recently)
* Golf Story
* Thimbleweed Part
* Picross S or S2 (I haven't played S2, but I guess it's the same)
* Tumblestone (great puzzle game, and often discounted)
* Fast RMX (3D space racing game)
* Cat Quest
* INSIDE
* Ikaruga
* Stardew Valley
* Yoku's Island Express (slight metroidvania elements, but mostly a pinball discovery game)
* Night in the Woods
* Thumper
* West of Loathing
* World of Goo
* Lumines Remastered
* Flipping Death
* RIVE: Ultimate Edition
* Pinball FX3 or (with some fun tables)
* Ironcast
* Rogue Aces
* Detention
* Blossom Tales
* Cosmic Star Heroine
* The Adventure Pals (it's a 2D platformer, but not that retro)
* Snake Pass
* Pool Panic
* Human Resource Machine (if you like programming-type puzzles)
* The Escapists 2
* The Lion's Song
* Graceful Explosion Machine

Awesome. Thank you so much. Any of your favorites on that list?

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
No news about the original Valkyria Chronicles for the west. Looks like only Japan will get it for the moment.

I should have talked about it earlier.

The Switch version of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered will launch via the Nintendo eShop on October 16 in the Americas and Europe for $19.99, Sega announced.

Users who purchase the Switch version of Valkyria Chronicles 4 digitally will receive a 25 percent discount.

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/valkyria-chronicles-remastered-for-switch-coming-west-on-october-16