Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since everyone is on the topic of Metroid Prime...

Speculation: How would you feel if Nintendo released Metroid Prime Trilogy HD on Switch this year, and then released Metroid Prime 4 in 2019?

Do you think that would be a smart idea? Do you like that idea?

I bring this up because Sony released Uncharted Collection in 2015, and then they released Uncharted 4 in 2016.
This makes too much sense. It would be a great way to introduce new players to the series and it would reduce the waiting pain for fans.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Metroid Prime's assets are the highest quality on the GameCube and Wii and I highly doubt they were remotely cheap for the time.

The series can just continue with much worse relative (relative to other top games on Switch 2 or something) graphics, but that would be Prime no longer being AAA.
They looked great but what I meant was super ultra melt your face high detail resolution farmed out to twenty different studios because you need a million and 2 pieces. As per my example.
Is this retro thread ?
It's all people ever talk about because we'll never know until they tell us and then it's out within 6 months and then 3-4 years of silence again.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I must be crazy but I thought Mario Odyssey felt packed with content for a Mario Game. I went hard on it for two weeks before I pretty much put it down and I definitely don't have all the stars yet.

A lot of the worlds were pretty small and a ton of the moons were what I would describe as "copy paste" moons where you do the same basic (sometimes very simple) activities to get multiple moons.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
what I mean is game performance will always be suboptimal for a number of games. every generation, people talk up "60fps, stable 30fps, better framerates" and shit, and we've never got that consistently.
This sounds like a weird criticism when talking about Nintendo.
They've been pushing like crazy for 60fps for more than a decade, which is somehow baffling as well considering they could have opted to go for 30fps during the Wii generation, to lessen the huge visual gap between that and PS360.

But they chose not to and continue doing so, and frankly, I'm happy to see them prioritizing frame rate and tight controls as much as possible.
(mind you, the same could be argued for the Switch too!)

There will absolutely be a new MK on Switch, because Nintendo likes money. DLC is never going to produce the revenue an entirely new game will.
We will most likely NOT get a new MK exactly because Nintendo likes money.
MK8D is among the best selling Switch games as it is, what makes you think Nintendo wants to spend money developing a brand new title when they can continue selling one that (almost) nobody played and thus IS, in fact, basically... the New Mario Kart?

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
the earliest we will see a new MK is 2020.
Nintendo Kart? Maybe 2019.
And by the way, we didn't progress to far since mario Kart 8, MK9 wouldn't look much different.

Im getting a bit more nervous about this year.
I had a wii U. Im not aware of any First Party Game this year that Im interested in (Except Fire Emblem).
There were just to many Kirby games in the last few years, and only canvas curse hat a unique new art style.

If they don't announce something, they probably expect third party's to hold 2018 while they work on there 2019 line up.
For now the first half only has Dark souls and some indies for me.

Regarding MP: I don't expect it 2018, and Im not sure if the trilogy would be a good idea.
On the one hand, it could boot the interest in MP4, on the other, if mp4 is to removed from the gameplay of the old ones it could end in a backlash for the 4. entry.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Switch and Nintendo did a better job in terms of hardware and software. It seems like they have the first time in their history a longtime strategy.
But I think they still don't understand online services. And I don't think that they will do it right in switch lifetime.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sure don't want halo lol. All I want is a modernized Metroid Prime game. Look at Samus Returns with warp spots that you get into to take you to other areas. Stuff like that is a modern improvement.

I meant in terms of budget. People have this weird perception of Metroid Prime being some ultra high-budget game series which makes no sense with a fiscally conservative company like Nintendo.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
People have this weird perception of Metroid Prime being some ultra high-budget game series which makes no sense with a fiscally conservative company like Nintendo.
The opposite is also true I think, I mean, this is no subpar stuff outsourced to an obscure developer.
Nintendo is clearly allocating budget according to its sales expectations: I have no idea about Metroid Prime 4 by the way (basically all we have is a logo) but Prime 1-3 and probably Other M too seem mid-to-high production values stuff to me... mid-to-high for Nintendo. :-D

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The opposite is also true I think, I mean, this is no subpar stuff outsourced to an obscure developer.
Nintendo is clearly allocating budget according to its sales expectations: I have no idea about Metroid Prime 4 by the way (basically all we have is a logo) but Prime 1-3 and probably Other M too seem mid-to-high production values stuff to me... mid-to-high for Nintendo. :-D

Sure. I think it's close to those Bethesda "boutique" games like Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Prey etc. with the added benefit of no platform license fees.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe instead of the Mario Kart team making Mario Kart 9 or ARMS 2 for Switch, they might do a new F-Zero game....

Finally bring F-Zero back!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a weird criticism when talking about Nintendo.
They've been pushing like crazy for 60fps for more than a decade, which is somehow baffling as well considering they could have opted to go for 30fps during the Wii generation, to lessen the huge visual gap between that and PS360.

But they chose not to and continue doing so, and frankly, I'm happy to see them prioritizing frame rate and tight controls as much as possible.
(mind you, the same could be argued for the Switch too!)
I wasn't talking about Nintendo but companies in general. Nintendo has always been the cut above, opting for stability when they can. Kirby, though, is a decision by HAL. If Nintendo made the game, I doubt there would never be a 30fps Kirby game (I also think they'd be far more imaginative than HAL's games, but I digress)

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I wasn't talking about Nintendo but companies in general.
Fair enough, that surely is something I can agree on!

But I also have to add that people should temper their expectations: it seems to me they *never* learn, as clearly shown by the recurring threads about widespread, or even standardized 60fps... but that's likely just me getting older and older (and grumpy, lol)

Sure. I think it's close to those Bethesda "boutique" games like Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Prey etc. with the added benefit of no platform license fees.
Yep, that seems a reasonable guess... heck, it wouldn't surprise me if we discovered it's actually less.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NateDrake said media got/going to place some games under NDA from Nintendo. I'm hoping Mario Tennis Aces is one of them and we get more info.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
IGN people unenthused: Donkey Kong Odyssey
IGN people enthused: Super Peach Galaxy

Cinematic linear 3D Platformer over 3D open world platformer as a genre O_O
Peach over Donkey Kong as a character and character potential O_O

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't all those rumors about the 5.0 update fake?

I do have hope we get a Direct on February. Get the hype train rolling!

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Stop. That makes sense with the open spot in the Nintendo Direct page in Japan. It would've been filled in February...

Edit: Now I'm confused about the 5.0 update because that was fake unless I'm not reading the tweet properly.

Lmao some dude put the "Batman sign" out to alert Marcus Sellers. This dude goes around acting like he has sources is a meme at this point.

Wasn't the 5.0 update a fake? Or am I misreading this tweet?

He is saying that the real 5.0 update was delayed to February, that's why we had a Mini Direct in January

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Since everyone is on the topic of Metroid Prime...

Speculation: How would you feel if Nintendo released Metroid Prime Trilogy HD on Switch this year, and then released Metroid Prime 4 in 2019?

Do you think that would be a smart idea? Do you like that idea?

I bring this up because Sony released Uncharted Collection in 2015, and then they released Uncharted 4 in 2016.

It's honestly a no brainer move, from a business perspective. Relatively low cost for return, compared to a brand new game and it would give many people an introduction to the series.

It would be somewhat baffling to see Prime 4 release without the trilogy. The only way I can see it not happening is if Nintendo does change the marketing and title away from 4, to more of a soft reboot of Prime. If they want players to realize they are doing something different with the series maybe don't give them a giant reminder of what Prime used to be.

Regardless I do think though Prime trilogy will happen at some point.

Just have to face the facts. 2018 will probably be the worst year for people who owned a Wii U.

Well the first 6 months are big "pass" for most Wii U owners. Although to be fair Bayonetta 2 sold like ass on the Wii U, so maybe we see people buy games they passed on before.

I think 3rd party titles and whatever new first party stuff they have will be strong enough in the 2nd half for most people to be okay overall with the year.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Pablo has funky mode! Isn't that enough credibility...I don't get why you guys don't want to believe him.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Stop. That makes sense with the open spot in the Nintendo Direct page in Japan. It would've been filled in February...

Edit: Now I'm confused about the 5.0 update because that was fake unless I'm not reading the tweet properly.

Lmao some dude put the "Batman sign" out to alert Marcus Sellers. This dude goes around acting like he has sources is a meme at this point.
I mean just because that 5.0 update was fake doesn't mean another one is.

I mean, the will be a 5.0 update

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Until we get more rumors from credible sources than just 1 unknown source in regards to an upcoming Nintendo Direct, I don't want to waste time looking around.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think our insiders spoke up about the January Direct until it was basically confirmed by the EA leak.

They might not speak up if they know

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The insiders have all been silent due to the ninjas, I bet. They seem to be upping the game, since we got no indication of Nintendo Labo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R-reset the clock?

12-15th does make sense, if they want to (and should) promote Bayonetta before it releases.
we've reset the clock to less reasons than a twitter that's probably bullshitting. and Bayonetta aint gonna get much promo aside from "Bayo will be out February Whenever". probably with less than 30 seconds of footage

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
This thread stopped being a reasonable place a long long time ago.

I really enjoy the educated/informed speculation about what Nintendo's development schedule could look like for the future, what developers could conceivably be working on, but I think all the "endless Direct/E3 megaton hypetrain" "check out this unsourced twitter rumour" "is Retro/MP4 actually DOOMED???" talk is really taking things offcourse from what was originally intended.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I really enjoy the educated/informed speculation about what Nintendo's development schedule could look like for the future, what developers could conceivably be working on, but I think all the "endless Direct/E3 megaton hypetrain" "check out this unsourced twitter rumour" "is Retro/MP4 actually DOOMED???" talk is really taking things offcourse from what was originally intended.
Agreed. Pre-Switch, this thread was pretty slow but it was mostly fairly well educated discussion about internal projects building off of whatever insights Ninja could get us or when new stuff was made public. :/

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Pre-Switch, this thread was pretty slow but it was mostly fairly well educated discussion about internal projects building off of whatever insights Ninja could get us or when new stuff was made public. :/
I think now we're just starved for news and looking for the place to discuss the tiniest rumors because apparently we can't in the actual Switch rumor thread

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this thread is just nintendo shitposting general now. nothing wrong with that. there's only so much to talk about what the 10-15 teams/studios are up to

Status
Not open for further replies.