Votes: 123 11.3%
  • Star Fox Switch

Votes: 74 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Been suggesting this for a while - Nintendo kept telling their investors that Switch's lifecycle would be far longer than usual and it would be unlike any of their previous systems. Nintendo also hinted at this possibility in their project NX reveal. I'm surprised so many still expect a relatively conventional break to a successor, rather than, as you say, another iterative upgrade in 2025 (which might be the point where the base model struggles to run, or can't run, new games from Nintendo).

Yeah add in the fact that a good number of people with inside info have heard similar, I'm surprised people are so dismissive of the idea.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's hard to fathom. From a business standpoint, why spend all of those hours cobbling together a video when you can do just as well with a Tweet?

Exactly; Tweets 'work' so there's really no reason to go for anything else outside of Partner Minis, especially since this year is likely going to be quite quiet again anyway.

Honestly I think we're hyping ourselves up way too much with all the rumours going around. No way Nintendo is going to be able to far succeed last year's output considering this year is likely to have been the one hit most by COVID delays.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Not everything can be explained with money

Theres the need for some hype that no twittet drops can have

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good morning! Let's hope for a great week with Nintendo!

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Not everything can be explained with money

Theres the need for some hype that no twittet drops can have
Yeah, I (perhaps immaturely) feel that there is a pragmatic appeal to Nintendo keeping hype and fan engagement up. Directs are big events that bolster their image with the dedicated crowd, which they need to keep up. Nintendo struggles or thrives based on fan engagement; their PR is usually pretty bad and worse recently

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Truly, is there any difference to how a game is announced? Does that make the game better or worst? Honestly, I prefer the tweet way if they are sure that the game won't be delayed and the waiting period is better, than announcing a game to early and something goes wrong and/or wait to long and the game is dog crap.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Arlo's prediction video and, honestly, I'm quite sad that he's probably right about Directs being over. It's just not the same at all having games randomly revealed in various mini-streams and Twitter posts :(

Dude we had like 10 directs in the second half of last year. More directs in 2020 than any other Switch year so far.

This idea that directs are dead is absolutely baseless nonsense. I have no idea why people keep espousing it.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Dude we had like 10 directs in the second half of last year. More directs in 2020 than any other Switch year so far.

This idea that directs are dead is absolutely baseless nonsense. I have no idea why people keep espousing it.
The Direct name continues to thrive; the Direct idea is probably dead. I can't remember the last time we heard from a developer besides Sakurai

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo are going to be very loud this year. "Play It Loud!" was a slogan of theirs once upon a time; and this year they'll definitely want to let people know that what they have in the pipeline is great and worth their time. Perhaps some announcements are best saved for Twitter, but others just deserve that extra highlight only a direct can provide. Anyone who seriously thinks the Direct format is forever dead is deluding themselves in their own pessimism; or maybe they somehow missed all of the directs Nintendo dropped in the second half of 2020? You may not be getting the big general directs you've been craving (just yet), but for now just enjoy the smaller-scale presentations, they're fun too!

Despite COVID-induced delays that began to hit Nintendo last year (something we'll still be seeing the impact of this year), i'm confident that they're going to succeed last year's output by far; as long as further delays don't occur, of course.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The Direct name continues to thrive; the Direct idea is probably dead. I can't remember the last time we heard from a developer besides Sakurai

That's been dead for a while tbh. Probably since 2016 or so.

And honestly I prefer the newer format. Developer stories and interviews can make for great interesting side pieces but that's not why people watch directs.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"Play It Loud!" was a slogan of theirs once upon a time; and this year they'll definitely want to let people know that what they have in the pipeline is great and worth their time.
But will they let us meet Donkey Kong's new wild child

Donkey-Kong-Country-3-1.jpg

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Despite COVID-induced delays that began to hit Nintendo last year (something we'll still be seeing the impact of this year), i'm confident that they're going to succeed last year's output by far; as long as further delays don't occur, of course.
Assuming more software was planned for 2021 to begin with (and it certainly seems to be the case, at least according to reliable sources), then even if there are delays this year - or if there were already delays to products planned to launch this year - Nintendo had longer to shuffle the software schedule, longer to adjust to any problems, and more software even in the face of delays. Throw in a couple of delayed games from 2020, and 2021 probably pans out well.

With a hardware model coming, too, I think there'll be more interest within Nintendo and more pressure to get more software out this year. Maybe not according to the original schedule, but they're going to want to get the next stage of the Switch's life off to a strong start.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Come on, it should be obvious what I'm referring to when I talk about "Directs." It's not Minis, Partner-Minis, or game-exclusive Directs, but the fully-fledged ones that we haven't had since September 2019. I'd love to be wrong, but is it really that controversial to assume that full Directs are dead?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
That's been dead for a while tbh. Probably since 2016 or so.

And honestly I prefer the newer format. Developer stories and interviews can make for great interesting side pieces but that's not why people watch directs.
There were remnants of it in 2017, at the (ironically not a Direct) January keynote and hearing directly from Takahashi in the E3 presentation that year.

Even a less pronounced presence of a host like Takahashi or Koizumi would satisfy me; the Partner Showcases with their exclusively third party software and narrated footage felt neither "Nintendo" nor "Direct" to me. Not that they were bad, but I think if that style continues, even with Nintendo announcements, it'll be understandable for Arlo to say that "Directs" are dead. He means Directs as we used to know them, which is fine

Jan 2, 2021
I definitely prefer Directs over Twitter drops. I really just like to see what they're working on. I'm not someone who gets caught up in release dates. As long as I have something cool to look forward, I'm usually satisfied. Like with Prime 4. Just the idea that it's happening is enough. (Of course I'd like some other Metroid content to hold me over, but that's besides the point, haha.)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, it should be obvious what I'm referring to when I talk about "Directs." It's not Minis, Partner-Minis, or game-exclusive Directs, but the fully-fledged ones that we haven't had since September 2019. I'd love to be wrong, but is it really that controversial to assume that full Directs are dead?

It should be that controversial, yes.

Why on earth would they continue to use the direct brand or even continue calling everything "mini" if full directs aren't also supposed to continue existing? The idea is nonsensical.

As long as large portions of the industry are working from home it's probably a good idea to expect that full directs are on hold. But once all of that is back to normal I 100% expect full directs again regularly.

1 gift from LukasManak22

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from LukasManak22 LukasManak22!

This is a lightning raffle that will expire in 1 hour. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Nintendo Switch (US) Nintendo Switch (US): Pixel Action Heroes - Won by Radishhead Radishhead (22 entries)

Plum

May 31, 2018
It should be that controversial, yes.

Why on earth would they continue to use the direct brand or even continue calling everything "mini" if full directs aren't also supposed to continue existing? The idea is nonsensical.

As long as large portions of the industry are working from home it's probably a good idea to expect that full directs are on hold. But once all of that is back to normal I 100% expect full directs again regularly.

We'll see, but I don't think it's completely nonsensical to expect no Directs for this year at the very least. I'm not exactly making any definite predictions, I just think it's better to look at it this way instead of playing the ridiculous "WHEN IS THE NEXT DIRECT?" game for another year.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Even a less pronounced presence of a host like Takahashi or Koizumi would satisfy me; the Partner Showcases with their exclusively third party software and narrated footage felt neither "Nintendo" nor "Direct" to me. Not that they were bad, but I think if that style continues, even with Nintendo announcements, it'll be understandable for Arlo to say that "Directs" are dead. He means Directs as we used to know them, which is fine
Directs as we first knew them are long dead; and i'm glad, frankly, the January 2013 Direct that people loved at the time is a boring slog in retrospect. The Direct format has evolved so much in almost a decade, and i'm sure that'll continue to happen.

The structure and format they settled on for general directs in 2018 and 2019 is perfect; but not something they were able to put together last year. When things are in proper working order, we'll get big directs back, we'll have Koizumi presenting throughout them, and we can get over this silly talking point of Nintendo discontinuing the regular Direct format.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Nintendo might publish 20 games in one year but they would still need a General Direct, otherwise you'll see a lot of people saying that year sucked.
Hype > Reality
You can bet the 3D All Stars announcement would have been received way way better if:
1) It had the original announcement plan (long Mario celebration including the olympics and everything)
2) It didn't leak

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
On the flip side I'd take a game that is switch pro exclusive as opposed to not getting the game at all on a Nintendo platform. Something is better than nothing.
Yeah, that's how I see it as well. At least there would be the option to access those games within the Switch ecosystem, you'd have the choice to pay extra (as in buying into a revision) instead of not having that choice altogether.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
On the flip side I'd take a game that is switch pro exclusive as opposed to not getting the game at all on a Nintendo platform. Something is better than nothing.
Yeah, I want this to happen for some third party games that otherwise wouldn't get released on Switch. Nintendo will make its games compatible with all Switch versions anyway (at least in the first year or two). Cloud versions are a nice thing but they'd need to be included in NSO (even if the subscription price rises a bit) to be viable. Paying $20-30 for just ONE temporal game is not something many people will do.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see, but I don't think it's completely nonsensical to expect no Directs for this year at the very least. I'm not exactly making any definite predictions, I just think it's better to look at it this way instead of playing the ridiculous "WHEN IS THE NEXT DIRECT?" game for another year.

Sure I do agree we may not see a full direct this year, especially if the pandemic worsens again.

I just mean the fact that they keep using that branding for the majority of their presentations means that the format is most certainly not dead. Might be absent for a little while but we will get another full direct at some point.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I'm happy to be proven wrong in 9 minutes, but I definitely think any 3D World news we could get this week would happen tomorrow or Wednesday. Monday just doesn't feel right.

Which is exactly why Nintendo could do it

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I don't see a 3D World trailer today unless Nintendo has something else to show this week.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Ever since the demo came out for MH Rise, I don't care about anything else now lol. This game is going to consume my Switch for the next 3 years.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I don't see a 3D World trailer today unless Nintendo has something else to show this week.

We're kind of running out of time. Pre-orders are important and I know a lot of people who are waiting to see what Bowser's Fury is before they commit to buying the game.

(although my main concern is that the online will be shit)

Ever since the demo came out for MH Rise, I don't care about anything else now lol. This game is going to consume my Switch for the next 3 years.

Am I weird that I've just never been able to get into this series? I did the first quest, and while the controls worked well, using the Greatsword guy was TERRIBLE, especially with the lack of lock-on. Or am I just locking on wrong?

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo are celebrating a lot of anniversaries this year, but which do you think we'll hear about first?

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Just finished Luigi's Mansion 3, and my opinion remains the same. Gold being the only thing you find, paired with the fact that it's useless makes interacting and exploring the mansion completely unrewarding and takes a lot away from the game. There's nothing worthwhile to find or do, so outside of boss battles the game's such a downer. Just boring to play. Not quite as infuriating as Dark Moon, but a frustrating experience at how disappointing the main gameplay loop is. There's definitely things Dark Moon did better as well.

I played the first game for the first time this year and it's easily the best of the three. My rating would be 1>>3>2.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Tomorrow is a month until 3D World. I totally see the announcement happening then, if anything.
Nintendo are celebrating a lot of anniversaries this year, but which do you think we'll hear about first?

Absolutely Pokemon or Zelda. I'm gonna go for the less obvious and say...Zelda. Just by virtue of this year probably feeling like a bigger celebration of Zelda than of Pokemon, imo.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
MH is probably the only third party series I really need on a given platform. Everything else is a cool bonus and can be super good, but MH is as much of a mainstay in my gaming life/the whole hobby as any first party Nintendo game (like FE or Mario Kart).
Just can't imagine not playing at least one new entry any respective generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.