The sequel to Breath of the Wild will come out in...

• 2021: July, August, or September

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • 2021: October, November, or December

Votes: 344 29.2%
  • 2022: January, February, or March

Votes: 386 32.8%
  • 2022: April, May, or June

Votes: 164 13.9%
  • 2022: July, August, or September

Votes: 32 2.7%
  • 2022: October, November, or December

Votes: 153 13.0%
  • Cancelled and rebooted at Retro Studios

Votes: 91 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Whatever they have planned for BotW2's overworld, I think it's still requiring a ton of effort, and time, and resources, even despite them using the same engine. I think it's more than just 'a new coat of paint'. If they really plan on adding 'new gameplay elements' to the experience, that might be something radical that would require a complete recalibration of most of the surface of the reused map.

BotW's overworld was so intricately designed with perfectly measured cliffs that matched up with the stamina wheel and revali's gale etc, and enemies that scaled the further away from the plateau you walked, just something as simple as tweaking weapon durability would require overhauling a lot of elements. It's a very dynamic game with a lot of moving parts and rules, not to mention it's size.

Like, of course it's taking more than 3 years.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Botw2 started as a DLC so there is that. Also regarding COVID don't forget that Splatoon 3 was supposed to be revealed in 2020 and released this year (probably something like mid 2021) so these comments like "covid cannot delayed it for 12 months or so" are not valid. Also with Hyrule of Calamity released in 2020 there is no doubt that Botw2 was never planned to be 2020 game.
With covid cannot delay it for 12 months (i at least) mean not by itself. It can be the initiator, but if a game is moved back for 12 months, and covid takes 12 months, that would mean that those 12 months nothing more happened.
if covid is 12 months durign development and the game is moved back 6 months, then thats a 50% reduction in productivity.
and so forth.
a reduction of 100% seems inreasonable...except if the time was ALSO used for other stuff (like increased scope, other development problems, etc)
If the production grinds really to a halt because of covid (no progress), then that IS a mangagement problem.
IT is one of the industries thats the easiest to move to work from home. not managing that at all is a failure. Not that i expext that. I honestly cant think of them as that stuck in their ways to not have taken precautions and moved into a productive state in just a view months when this all started.
If its moved by 12 months internally, then there are other reasons additionally to covid. What they are? we will only know after it releases.
For now they are not transparent, but only mention "development is going smootly". Which is okay.

And "no chance for 2020"...maybe AoC was meant to be released months prior to hype up people for BotW2? who even knows. We have a DP remake half a year before a pokemon open world by game freak. The mario collection was anounced 6 weeks before retail release. Everythings possible.

Splatoon stuff is as much speculation as the "Zelda has to release 2020" and "zelda will be moved to 2022".
Some where hitnted at by insiders, but even the insiders themselves say "dont quote me" since stuff is in flux and some stuff gets mixed up/lost in translation.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I'd argue that's a thing with most genres. There are a lot of shooters, too, or Action-Adventures. But only because I like a certain genre for the most part, I don't automatically like every single end product that emerges from the genre in question.
Nuance is important in this context (as in most others anyway).

The good thing is: the reverse is also true. Despite generally not liking shooters, I very much did enjoy Titanfall 2 for instance. It's good that not every game is like the other in the same genre -- which should be an obvious conclusion at the end of the day. ^^
Yeah. Often i had to bear the argument "the switch has so many different genres, broaden your horizon, its on you if you only like zelda and mario".
Thats not it. Its that a lof of the takes that genres i like have made on the switch where not in the way i like them. If its the same genre, but focuses on the core aspects i usually tolerate, then the game wont be enjoyable.

Like i loved octopath, i loved the boost system...but i find the brave/default system just okay, and am not really interested in BD2. But for some they dont see the difference, and others just see them as JRPGs. "Youre never happy/always find something" is then usually the answer.

Yeah, im not big on shooters, but had my fair share of fun with some. I actually liked CS 1.6, Doom 2016 is fun,
and titanfall was one that intrigued me. The wall running, the mechs...yeah, i thought if i ever get the chance i should try it.
I also prefered the first prime to the third, cause even if the aiming was better, prime one was more zelda like
with the targeting because the shooting/aiming was never the focus and wasnt that strong in the prime series.

In todays world my main problem with FPS games is ...the FOV. I find that console FPS games teel claustrophobic. The narrow FOV takes all fun away, i have the feeling im looking through a tube, no peripheral vision. On pc you can customize that, but because of the power limit they usually dont give you that option on consoles. Thats why i stoped doom 2016 on switch halfway through (man, that game felt really like prime in some moments, in a great way), and did not bother with eternal on switch.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Honestly I think the combat system is the worst part of both games, lol, although I might give the edge to FF12 as well. Other than that, they actually have a lot of the same feel to them, in terms of area design and how you explore the world. Xenoblade wins in terms of story and characters, but I'd put both pretty on par when it comes to atmosphere and exploration.

FF12 has one of the best FF worlds IMO, it really nails the whole "ancient mystical hidden things that should be better left alone" vibe which I adore . But I LOVE Ivalice to death, FF Tactics and Vagrant Story are also some of my favorite games. There's just something about that Ivalice lore + atmosphere + music that's magical to me.

Part of my hype for FF16 is that it seems like it had a vaguely Ivalice-feel to it, at least the art and some things we've seen give off that vibe.
I certainly agree that Xeno 1's combat was probably the weakest aspect to me, though solid still. FF XII's is actually good in my eyes, but that's mostly down to seeing my planned Gambit strategies working out (or not, and then getting my ass kicked). If everything falls in place, it's just so satisfying to me.
Exploration certainly is similar, but I'd give the edge to Xeno here, slight as it may be. The world is visually more realised and impressive, which also boosts the exploration to another level for me. XII is a bit more barren, slightly simpler in its approach I feel, but it's also older, so I'm more willing to overlook some of the shortcomings.
In terms of variety XII certainly doesn't stand back, though, and that's probably more important even.
So yeah, it's close, but I slightly favour Xeno in terms of world, exploration; atmosphere is really close, basically a draw in my eyes.

I'm with you on the Ivalice hype train, though. Probably my favourite FF world (building) so far. I guess that's part of the reason I appreciate FF XII so much -- as a game itself, but also as a manifestation of the underlying world that seems very interesting and had me intrigued from the very beginning. That's probably also one of my criticisms towards XII ironically - that it only let us take a short glance into the universe, without doing enough with what is there as a foundation.
Basically: the premise of Ivalice and thus FF XII on paper is so good, that FF XII itself, despite being a good game in its own right, felt like it didn't manage to completely fulfill its potential in the end. It kinda failed for me there, but on such a high level that I still loved it, haha.

I hope I'm making any sense at this point, just feel like I'm FF XII-rambling now. x)

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I read that there was a character in the trailer that is only available in Platinum. No clue if that means the significant changes will be included, but I would imagine Distortion World has to come at least.
What is this? Hope?

Stop misunderstanding me. Its clear that Covid does cause delays, nobody would deny this here. But no, Covid does NOT cause delays from 12-18 months, this is ridicolous. MH Rise is also a very big project, and its delay was at around 2 months. So take this as a good example.
No one is trying to say Covid stopped development for a whole year, but it did change the way ongoing development had to be done. Assuming that there would be no impact to the efficiency of game development due to WFH and office restrictions (among other covid related factors) is ridiculous.

So I beat devil may cry 2 for the first time. This was supposed to be bad?
The bizarre and sometimes non existent difficulty curve was a weird turn, largely due to the overpowered guns and enemy/boss design is the weakest of the series. Playing it isn't like looking into the Ark of the Covenant, like some would have you believe, but it is verifiably the worst in the series.

Best Dante coat though.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Whatever they have planned for BotW2's overworld, I think it's still requiring a ton of effort, and time, and resources, even despite them using the same engine. I think it's more than just 'a new coat of paint'. If they really plan on adding 'new gameplay elements' to the experience, that might be something radical that would require a complete recalibration of most of the surface of the reused map.

BotW's overworld was so intricately designed with perfectly measured cliffs that matched up with the stamina wheel and revali's gale etc, and enemies that scaled the further away from the plateau you walked, just something as simple as tweaking weapon durability would require overhauling a lot of elements. It's a very dynamic game with a lot of moving parts and rules, not to mention it's size.

Like, of course it's taking more than 3 years.

This is a good post. :)

MrEevee98

May 18, 2020
Spain
I'm scared, I thought the Sinnoh Remakes or Pokémon Legends would be the game for this Christmas, but it doesn't look like it, will we have a Direct before E3 to announce the Christmas title, or will they announce it at E3 itself?

What do you think and which game do you think it could be?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The real issue with these arguments is that there is no real reason to believe right now that BotW2 was delayed in any way. Of course COVID hit it like it hit everything and had an affect on development, but we have no reason to believe it was delayed from their intended release date.

Now, the question of course is when is their planned release date? Was it 2020 like Zell implied? Is it 2021? Is it 2022? We really don't know at this point.

But nothing that happened last week in any way makes 2021 any less likely than it was a month ago. That's my real issue with a lot of the perceptions on this board. Them saying they can't talk about it in a general direct in February focused on H1 is not at all an indication that it won't release this year.

So we can argue back and forth about scope creep and COVID delays and all of that but at the end of the day it's complete speculation. It could be right on track for all we know.

MrEevee98

May 18, 2020
Spain
I'm scared, I thought the Sinnoh Remakes or Pokémon Legends would be the game for this Christmas, but it doesn't look like it, will we have a Direct before E3 to announce the Christmas title, or will they announce it at E3 itself?

What do you think and which game do you think it could be?
(Speculation)

I also have a theory as to why we didn't get any Zelda BOTW 2 info at the March Direct, if they had announced anything about the title Skyward Sword's marketing might be affected, maybe Zelda will be revealed at E3 and we'll see it by the end of the year.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
That's a much more succinct way of saying what I just said, yep.
BiodegradableCompetentAfricanharrierhawk-size_restricted.gif

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
The real issue with these arguments is that there is no real reason to believe right now that BotW2 was delayed in any way. Of course COVID hit it like it hit everything and had an affect on development, but we have no reason to believe it was delayed from their intended release date.

Now, the question of course is when is their planned release date? Was it 2020 like Zell implied? Is it 2021? Is it 2022? We really don't know at this point.

But nothing that happened last week in any way makes 2021 any less likely than it was a month ago. That's my real issue with a lot of the perceptions on this board. Them saying they can't talk about it in a general direct in February focused on H1 is not at all an indication that it won't release this year.

So we can argue back and forth about scope creep and COVID delays and all of that but at the end of the day it's complete speculation. It could be right on track for all we know.
right on point.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I started replaying Ace Attorney Trilogy a while back and made it to AA2 now. I have to do Case 3 next (the one with the clowns) and I just... I just stopped playing.

My memory of it is somewhat fuzzy and it might not be as bad as I remember. But I don't know if I have the willpower to deal with that part again.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You can't delay something that never had a release date.

But an insider said it was releasing in 2020. Must be big problems and a reboot! covid is no problem in real world and development is easy if using same engine, 3 year is already too long but 5? BIG PROBLEMS!

This is sarcasm by the way but reading these kind of takes makes me chuckle / groan in equal measure

Christo750

May 10, 2018

I agree. Same with the implication that TPHD/WWHD are launching this year, along with the second wave of DLC for Age of Calamity. Sorry BOTW2 you're getting bumped. It's ridiculous. One of those things is clearly the main event. If it's ready to go in November, it's going.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to do an avatar bet with someone if BotW 2 will come this year. I always lose bets so it will be a good thing if I lose.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh idc how long BotW 2 takes. I want them to be able to create the GOAT game. That's how I view BotW 1. Whatever time they need for their ideas, testing, implementation and whatnot is fine with me.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I genuinely think there may be 5000 Pokémon in this Pokémon sword game. They're literally all new save for a few og.

Gotta say to be slightly negative, I think the design of the Pokémon has deteriorated since I was playing. But, I mean, I don't really care that much. So long as the structure is the same I'm happy

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
If covid effects are really heavy right now, then it doesn't make sense to presume BOTW is coming out mere 3 months after the end of this year, which is the timetable insiders were initially considering. We have Pokémon Legends in Q1 and possibly Splatoon 3 in the summer. So it's either holiday 2022 or the beginning of 2023. Fuck it.

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, seemingly the worst in the series. Some say even worse than DMC: DmC (which ironically I did enjoy!).
What is this? Hope?

No one is trying to say Covid stopped development for a whole year, but it did change the way ongoing development had to be done. Assuming that there would be no impact to the efficiency of game development due to WFH and office restrictions (among other covid related factors) is ridiculous.

The bizarre and sometimes non existent difficulty curve was a weird turn, largely due to the overpowered guns and enemy/boss design is the weakest of the series. Playing it isn't like looking into the Ark of the Covenant, like some would have you believe, but it is verifiably the worst in the series.

Best Dante coat though.
Thought the game was okay. Story was whatever but enjoyed the gameplay some.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have a good weekend friend!

Thanks, it's been refreshing to see your introduction to Switch!

Adelle's scarf is especially glorious. I've managed a couple of hours on it and really enjoyed it so far. Looking forward to more tomorrow.

Yes, some of the material work is really good. Anihal's poncho in the demo looked really good.

But I love how Elvis and Adelle are basically just:

25a.jpg

EDIT:
I didn't expect to love them so quickly lol.

Yeah, basically straight off the bat. The Bravely games have always been good about selling characters' personalities.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
www.polygon.com

Breath of the Wild 2 isn’t the first time Nintendo turned update plans into a sequel

It sounds like we should expect some big changes from Breath of the Wild
What the article said and what you said are slightly different

When asked if this sequel was originally planned as DLC, Aonuma responded that "initially we were thinking of just DLC ideas, but then we had a lot of ideas and we said, 'This is too many ideas, let's just make one new game and start from scratch.'"

It never started as DLC. Starting with DLC implies they were actively developing it as BOTW DLC and it got too big/complicated whereas it sounds like they'd already decided to make it a sequel, while they were working on the actual BOTW DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.