• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Uhh this is very surprising. Now I highly doubt that we will get a new Mario Party game soon.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
I mean, its a cool update but they are only adding online. That's it. There is no new reason to delay/not launch a new Mario Party soon.

David Kjellson

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
With this unexpected announcement, I can dream of more Mario Kart DLC. I'd love to see more old stages redone, such as the dinosaur one from Double Dash.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this kills Super Mario Party 2 now. I feel like it kind of does. That's ok my predictions were feeling too bloated for H2 lol.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
... Kind of wonder if this is the "neat thing" Nate heard about. The announcement came way earlier than he expected if that's the case though.
To be fair, a week or two ago when Nate first mentioned that, he said it could happen any time between 'now' (I.e. a week or so ago) and mid-May. Maybe he was on about something else, though, which is fine! Because that'd mean another little surprise incoming.
This is so fucking random lmao.

Something tells me maybe a new game is not coming soon, and Nintendo is content to ride the sales of this game for a bit.

I also feel like this was definitely not originally the plan (or we would've seen it like... 2 years ago), but the sales of the game forced Nintendo's hand in a way.
I wonder if this was meant to launch as part of the Mario Anniversary, tied in with everything else, but ran behind schedule for whatever reason. This is presumably the work of a small team while the rest of NdCube work on a bigger project.
5 hours 44 minutes from this post!

3pm BST/4pm CEST
Convenient - starts when my shift ends.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Nintendo has their reasons, but... it's just so strange.

The company has coasted on a Wii U MK for years - which remains the best-selling game on the system - but no DLC.

Super Mario Odyssey is the best selling 3D Mario ever and joint top-rated game on the system (the top rated if you go by OpenCritic) and there's been no significant DLC.

This is a free update and nothing too big really, but it's more that you could point to half a dozen games that people would probably be more excited to see updates for.

SMP has sold well though and it's a cool addition for sure. I'm making this post more to illustrate that you never know what Nintendo is going to do.

We spend months speculating around in circles and something like this happens and you realise (if you didn't know already) we've got no clue, at all.

They'll add some free DLC for ARMS next...
People have been begging for DLC for SMP for years.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this was meant to launch as part of the Mario Anniversary, tied in with everything else, but ran behind schedule for whatever reason. This is presumably the work of a small team while the rest of NdCube work on a bigger project.
Ah, that's not a bad theory. I was going to suggest that this is the result of some devs at ND Cube/Nintendo realizing the value of online play during successive lockdowns.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
We've got them in our kitchen if you want to come relive your childhood hahaha

though the kind we have are the extremely tiny harmless kind that don't bite

but they're in my house so I'm gonna destroy their lives
I had a colony in my first appartment 3 years ago. We had just moved in, we had pizza to celebrate, and being lazy I thought "I'll throw the pizza box in the thrash tomorrow", in the morning I wake up and I see about 50 tiny ants like yours in the box lmao
Took us about 5 ant traps to exterminate the colony and never seeing them again. I was surprised, I though just one trap would be enough to poison the queen and so the entire colony but no.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Been reading through their comments and (Monster Hunter Rise update spoilers)

Title Update 2 in May?! I was definitely expecting the next to be in the Summer!

That would give some viability to the speculation that Rise was "rushed" out to hit Capcom's last FY and that the contents of the first update were probably planned to be in the launch version of Rise.

Since a different part of the team should've been working on DLC stuff while the rest was finishing Rise, this could explain the next update coming soon after.
This would then be the first actual DLC update.

Timeframe between that one and the next could be longer then, though.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That would give some viability to the speculation that Rise was "rushed" out to hit Capcom's last FY and that the contents of the first update were probably planned to be in the launch version of Rise.

Since a different part of the team should've been working on DLC stuff while the rest was finishing Rise, this could explain the next update coming soon after.

Nah, I think this is probably all as was always planned. Modern online games are basically kneecapping themselves if they don't have a strong plan to be game as a service from the word go.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, Mario Party 2 started life as an N64DD add-on for the original Mario Party; the functionality to check if the expansion is in the disk drive still exists in the final international release of Mario Party 1, even!

How 'bout we go full circle and make "Super Mario Party 2" DLC?

midori ☾

Feb 4, 2021

I'd instantly assume any game that launches last week of March is doing so to hit FY date :p

There's some real big hints in the game itself that it's kinda "unfinished" (not really a term I like using because it feels disingenuous, game development is hard etc.) then again I have sunk 100 hours into an unfinished game so I'm not complaining!

Aug 25, 2019
This update is probably a nice final boost for Super Mario Party. If a sequel wasn't releasing soon, I think that they would've added some extra content too.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If anything, this at least proves that first-party Nintendo teams are still willing to go back and update games that haven't been touched in years. Bodes well for revision enhancement updates.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously NdCube are adding Online to Super Mario Party whilst they return to their roots and develop a sequel to their first ever game.;)

That's what people in medical field call "Animal Crossing Syndrome"

TBH Datamining has probably done more harm than good when it comes to the discourse around game development.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least from now on we can except full online in Mario Party. The maps still suck in Super Mario Party and for that reason (and some others) I do want a sequel

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Just got MH Rise. How the hell does this game look SO good on Switch? Like, holy fucking shit.

The Switch Pro is going to blow minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.