Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Never-mind, just bought Monster Hunter Rise anyway. Managed to find it for £36 with a code on eBay for delivery on Tuesday. Figured that's a decent-enough price to try it, especially since I can sell it anyway if I don't like it in the end :)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an avatar tho
ezgif-4-e28ebbb49c49adksx.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Back from a month's break! Think it's helped quite a bit, especially in regards to how I view Era. For instance whilst I'm still deeply disappointed in Nintendo's recent output, I've come to realise that literally nothing will change if I spend ages trying to argue with folks on here about it. Right now I'm just waiting for the Pro for the most part, as to me that represents a chance for us to get way more truly-original titles than we've been getting so far on the regular Switch. At the very least a Switch with DLSS is a very exciting proposition.

So, yeah. Sorry for being such an utter twat in the past. I'll try be a lot more positive in the future, even if that means just shutting up when Nintendo inevitably does something I'm disappointed with.

My current dilemma is whether to buy MH: Rise or not. I've bounced off of every MH game I've tried in the past but I still think that the series has a chance with me. My main issue with the series as a whole is the anxiety I tend to get from being offered a whole ton of options, and in MH the entire game seems to be built specifically around that. I can learn the controls over time, but it's a deeper mental block when it comes to stuff like what weapons to use, what armours to craft/wear, whether I'm doing things 'optimally' or not, etc. Is there any good way to get around that or something? I simply don't know.

I had a similar anxiety about the series in the past, especially when it came to picking a weapon. But I think the key is just to go all in with one weapon and essentially forget any others actually exist. I found Long Sword to be the most newcomer friendly weapon in the past though I'm not sure that's the case anymore... But this time I'm going with hammer, that also seems fairly straightforward. Just bonk on the head repeatedly.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Back from a month's break! Think it's helped quite a bit, especially in regards to how I view Era. For instance whilst I'm still deeply disappointed in Nintendo's recent output, I've come to realise that literally nothing will change if I spend ages trying to argue with folks on here about it. Right now I'm just waiting for the Pro for the most part, as to me that represents a chance for us to get way more truly-original titles than we've been getting so far on the regular Switch. At the very least a Switch with DLSS is a very exciting proposition.

So, yeah. Sorry for being such an utter twat in the past. I'll try be a lot more positive in the future, even if that means just shutting up when Nintendo inevitably does something I'm disappointed with.

My current dilemma is whether to buy MH: Rise or not. I've bounced off of every MH game I've tried in the past but I still think that the series has a chance with me. My main issue with the series as a whole is the anxiety I tend to get from being offered a whole ton of options, and in MH the entire game seems to be built specifically around that. I can learn the controls over time, but it's a deeper mental block when it comes to stuff like what weapons to use, what armours to craft/wear, whether I'm doing things 'optimally' or not, etc. Is there any good way to get around that or something? I simply don't know.

Mostly just have to pick something and stick with it. In these types of games you wont really know what you like and dislike until you pick something and ride it out for a bit.

I had a similar anxiety about the series in the past, especially when it came to picking a weapon. But I think the key is just to go all in with one weapon and essentially forget any others actually exist. I found Long Sword to be the most newcomer friendly weapon in the past though I'm not sure that's the case anymore... But this time I'm going with hammer, that also seems fairly straightforward. Just bonk on the head repeatedly.

Long Sword is probably the easiest ti grasp though it is pretty counter heavy these days. I think hammer is the easiest to learn

Plum

May 31, 2018
Mostly just have to pick something and stick with it. In these types of games you wont really know what you like and dislike until you pick something and ride it out for a bit.

Thanks! I think I might pick a slightly faster weapon than a Hammer as one of the things keeping me from the series in the past has been the slower attacks... then again the idea of getting 'Big numbers' with every attack is enticing for sure lol

Definitely not going anywhere near the ranged weapons for now. Ammo management + everything else is too much.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I may or may not have just spent too much money on Skyward Sword/Fortnite joycons

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The real Monster is the Animal Crossing Sanrio amiibo card pack.
The real Hunter is me refeshing the store page.
The real Rise is what my blood pressure is doing as I wait for my chance to get one.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Since 3D All Stars came out I've played through 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World and Bower's Fury (beating Champion's Road for the first time) and just now wrapped up my replay of Galaxy 2 on Dolphin. They really should've just put this in as part of the All Stars package, it's such a fantastic game.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! I think I might pick a slightly faster weapon than a Hammer as one of the things keeping me from the series in the past has been the slower attacks... then again the idea of getting 'Big numbers' with every attack is enticing for sure lol

Definitely not going anywhere near the ranged weapons for now. Ammo management + everything else is too much.

I've played 5 MH games and this is the first one I have even touched a ranged weapon haha. It is different but not too bad.

Jan 9, 2021
Since 3D All Stars came out I've played through 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World and Bower's Fury (beating Champion's Road for the first time) and just now wrapped up my replay of Galaxy 2 on Dolphin. They really should've just put this in as part of the All Stars package, it's such a fantastic game.
Can you use the pro controller on dolphin for pointer controls like you do in Galaxy on Switch?

Excited to try Monster Hunter later today.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Monster Hunter the third party series that has done the best job of integrating itself into the general Nintendo fanbase? This feels like its getting the hype of a major first party release. I can't really think of anything that gets quite the same reaction, even things like Sonic or Mega Man.

Plum

May 31, 2018
After playing some more of it, I think I'm gonna drop Xenoblade Chronicles. I know the game's great but it just represents all the stuff I get anxious over with JRPG-style gameplay. I really can't stomach another 35+ hours of it, especially since I've been spoiled on a bunch of the game's plot points already (thanks Smash!).

One thing I've been doing in the past few months is making 'executive decisions' to just drop the games and franchises that I know aren't for me. Like, why waste more hours on a Xenoblade game when I could instead play through, say, another Yakuza game that I know I'll enjoy more? It's actually quite freeing, because I think part of my frustration with Nintendo's output has been me nearly-forcing myself into playing all of it even if it's not my thing.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Both sets look great. You did the right thing. I've only got the Skyward Joycons pre-ordered though. I own too many pairs and am currently in the process of getting the Animal Crossing set shipped from Japan.
I imagine that the Skyward Sword Joycons will become quite scarce rather quickly, so if you want them you should be getting them day 1. I can vouch for the AC joycons, they look so nice in person!

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Amazon initially said my order of Monster Hunter was coming tomorrow but looks like it got loaded on the truck for delivery today so I'm excited to jump in sooner rather than later.

I've only watched a little bit of gameplay and haven't played the demos so I'm going in mostly blind. I hope the insect glaive is as mobile as it was in World cause I loved zipping around with that thing.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon initially said my order of Monster Hunter was coming tomorrow but looks like it got loaded on the truck for delivery today so I'm excited to jump in sooner rather than later.

I've only watched a little bit of gameplay and haven't played the demos so I'm going in mostly blind. I hope the insect glaive is as mobile as it was in World cause I loved zipping around with that thing.

Can confirm, you still feel like Yoda in Revenge of the Sith.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Is Monster Hunter the third party series that has done the best job of integrating itself into the general Nintendo fanbase? This feels like its getting the hype of a major first party release. I can't really think of anything that gets quite the same reaction, even things like Sonic or Mega Man.
It is also the biggest Japanese 3rd party franchise so no surprise.

But yeah it has been consistently releasing on Nintendo platforms since the Wii era so there is a clear bond.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Main SMT series, Story of Seasons, Ace Attorney they're all a part of Nintendo's ecosystem. Maybe not as hype as MH but they're all still big deal for Nintendo owners. Especially SMT.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Canada might be way behind on Covid vaccine distribution but I secured my Sanrio Amiibo cards weeks ago, so at least we have that!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As I suspected I spent about 45 minutes designing my palamute to make him look like my dog.

But even RE Engine couldn't capture the majesty of this:

Ewdta32XMAMiqZV

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Being a Nintendo fan primarily, Monster Hunter is probably the most important third party IP to me and the one I feel like fits the first party design fundamentals in terms of polished gameplay quite well. I don't think there is another non first party IP I'd follow onto other consoles or systems/platforms as I'd do for/with Monster Hunter, fwiw.
SMT or Asano's games are probably close to MH's importance to me on Nintendo platforms, but not quite there on the same level. Sorry, Oregano ... :(

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

It's not as mobile.

It's more mobile. Though, then again, everything is.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Btw. i fullfilled my promise. My Palamute's called "Muttley" and because i wanted to honor the german name of the cartoon dog, too, my Palico is called "Meutrich".

Color schemes are of course in line with said cartoon dog.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I made a Palamute with Rottweiller colors, cute puppy eyes and Rose ears and spent good twenty minutes thinking about the name.

Finally, I just named it after the god of the hunt in local ancient mythology and called it a day.

Game is good BTW

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Today is another Nintendo Day where I can't get shit!

MHR Collector's Edition? Hasn't shipped yet
Smash amiibo? Haven't shipped yet

Sanrio amiibo cards? Out of stock!
MHR amiibo? Exclusive to EB Games in Canada and not a single store got them

What a great fucking day

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow that Sanrio amiibo card process sure was a cluster. Sold out after it started working. Was able to go in person and get a pack at least. Guess the my sent lots of people away and got confirmation later they could sell.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol getting these animal crossing cards has been a nightmare. Not looking forward to doing it all over again for the Switch Pro

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's MORE mobile outside of the ziplines?? Oh... oh my.

Rise is basically Ichinose and his team being like "we don't like the normal MonHun Light-Tank controls" and changed it, then they were like "you know what's funny? vertical shit!" and so they went to make a game with a vertical mobility that leaves others in shame.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
When people pre-order from Amazon, do they typically see their games arrive in a day or two with standard shipping, or is it upwards of a week?

I swear their standard shipping used to be so much better than it is now. MH:Rise will likely be the last time I pre-order from them

Plum

May 31, 2018
SMT is definitely part of Nintendo's eco-system but it's nowhere close to Monster Hunter imo.

Monster Hunter Rise was even advertised during the ad breaks of Good Morning Britain. If you're unaware that's one of the most-watched breakfast show in the UK; if it's being shown there then Nintendo/Capcom are clearly framing it as a mainstream game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Random question: Digitally speaking, as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gone on sale for Mar10 Day before? Did it go on sale for this year's Mar10 Day? Has it ever gone on sale at all?

Dumb question: If I buy the digital version of a game even though I already have the physical version, will the save data from the physical version carry over to the digital version?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Being a Nintendo fan primarily, Monster Hunter is probably the most important third party IP to me and the one I feel like fits the first party design fundamentals in terms of polished gameplay quite well. I don't think there is another non first party IP I'd follow onto other consoles or systems/platforms as I'd do for/with Monster Hunter, fwiw.
SMT or Asano's games are probably close to MH's importance to me on Nintendo platforms, but not quite there on the same level. Sorry, Oregano ... :(
Yeah, Monster Hunter World was what pushed me to getting an Xbox One X. I have a feeling that World 2 is going to be the thing that eventually pushes me to get a Series X or PS5. Assuming it's not just put on PC day one this time.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed the demo well enough, so I took the plunge on Monster Hunter Rise. Sprang for the extra ten bucks to get the extra goodies too. Now it's sitting downloaded on my home Switch for me to dig into this weekend.

Unless I get too deep in Bravely Default II. I finally got to the part where the second demo took place and I'm still having a good time. Also doesn't help we've got the Sweet Sixteen this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.