• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasur1309

Jul 22, 2020
I must admit at this point my hype for a pro is at an all time low. I will get the steam deck which probably will perform better on third party games then a pro will (and i play 90% handheld).
My only concern is that my day one switch is getting a bit old by now.

But right now I wouldn't mind waiting 3 more years for a switch 2.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing the state for the new PES launch I'm starting to understand why there was no Switch version this time. They even couldn't launch a proper version for the other systems! What a disappointment.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
Man I'm getting more and more excited about the OLED Model and Metroid Dread. Feels like it's going to be the ideal way to play it with the vibrant pops of colour and the deep blacks. Feels to me that they've managed to substantially improve every aspect of the Switch with the exception of the SOC, which is a shame but also very understandable given the current economic circumstances and chip shortages. Hopefully it also gives them a little more time to make sure the Switch 2 or whatever really is a very substantial upgrade in power and performance over the current Switch.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care less about a revision, this year's is the best on the Switch for me, I'm at my peak enjoyment of the system. My PS4 is literally collecting dust lol

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch OLED having an option to switch between "Vivid" and "Standard" colors is cool, but man, I would love a "Night Light" / red light filter option. It will absolutely ruin my productivity even more but it'd be so comfy playing Switch games at night with it, color accuracy be damned.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
The Switch OLED having an option to switch between "Vivid" and "Standard" colors is cool, but man, I would love a "Night Light" / red light filter option. It will absolutely ruin my productivity even more but it'd be so comfy playing Switch games at night with it, color accuracy be damned.
Could this come through a software update?

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Seeing the state for the new PES launch I'm starting to understand why there was no Switch version this time. They even couldn't launch a proper version for the other systems! What a disappointment.
Sadly, same thoughts too. Was confused why we didn't see a Switch version but my goodness it's not even ready for anything at this point.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with experience with My Nintendo Store in the UK? I pre-ordered my SwOLED from them and was wondering what I can expect in terms of delivery (since I wasn't given the option to use express, only standard).

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Just looking up some potential backup/early 2022 purchases, and realising that Crysis Remastered 'Trilogy' isn't really a thing on Switch - remasters of all three Crysis games will indeed be available but must be purchased individually. Might stick the first game on my wishlist and buy during a sale sometime.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
The Pro and the Switch 2 are likely the same system. Nintendo are just deciding which name to use. I think they should call it Switch 2 at this point to make clearly evident that this new system that is capable of playing switch games is a clear step up.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Anyone with experience with My Nintendo Store in the UK? I pre-ordered my SwOLED from them and was wondering what I can expect in terms of delivery (since I wasn't given the option to use express, only standard).
Only with freebies that they've sent this year like poster sets - those have always arrived quickly. My Metroid Dread collector's edition order is with them, so here's hoping they're punctual!

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
October bringing good things:

- Smash news
- Metroid Dread
- SwOLED
- my first international holiday for 3 years
- unexpected employment extension
- Animal Crossing news
- NSO expansion

Peaty Condor

Banned
Nov 13, 2020
User banned (permanent): Troll account
So fellas, when are we gonna start supporting Afghan women in here? Anybody able to get their hands on a C-17 yet?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So fellas, when are we gonna start supporting Afghan women in here? Anybody able to get their hands on a C-17 yet?

There's organisations like Women for Afghan Women that could make better use of the money than putting it into the military industrial complex. Feel free to donate and tell us how it went.

edit: whoops...

Last edited:

wonaph

Feb 17, 2018
The Pro and the Switch 2 are likely the same system. Nintendo are just deciding which name to use. I think they should call it Switch 2 at this point to make clearly evident that this new system that is capable of playing switch games is a clear step up.
I don't think that's going to happen. For a few reasons:
  • Each new console generation is an entirely different concept as the one that preceded it, aside from maybe NES to SNES, but those early days were humongous leaps in power compared to now. I don't think Switch to Switch 2, with the only notable new 'concept' being "Switch, but now 4K capable," is enough for Nintendo to call it the successor to Switch.
  • My interpretation, but when Nintendo says they're in with Switch for the long-haul, that we're just now in the middle of its lifecycle, I believe it. I think it could last 10 years or more.
  • Finally, since they announced the OLED model, they now refer to the group of available Switch options as the "Nintendo Switch Lineup." This is in contrast to them previously calling it the Nintendo Switch "Family" of consoles, which is the word they used to describe the Nintendo 3DS Family, when they added New 3DS, XL, 2DS, New 2DS XL. It's a small but interesting and intentional change on their part that I think implies a longer term strategy for Switch, which will later include Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch — OLED Model, Nintendo Switch — 4K Model, and of course potential other variations that we won't ever think up on our own.
I think they learned from Wii U that a slightly new feature on top of the previous console, with mostly the same concepts, and even with backwards compatibility is simply NOT enough to warrant a new generation. I think the "Lineup" of Switch models will just continue to grow over the next 5-6 years, and old models will quietly drop off the Lineup until they decide they can't sell any more Switches at the rate it's been going, at which point they'll have a new enough concept to add onto the Switch hybrid premise.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's going to happen. For a few reasons:
  • Each new console generation is an entirely different concept as the one that preceded it, aside from maybe NES to SNES, but those early days were humongous leaps in power compared to now. I don't think Switch to Switch 2, with the only notable new 'concept' being "Switch, but now 4K capable," is enough for Nintendo to call it the successor to Switch.
  • My interpretation, but when Nintendo says they're in with Switch for the long-haul, that we're just now in the middle of its lifecycle, I believe it. I think it could last 10 years or more.
  • Finally, since they announced the OLED model, they now refer to the group of available Switch options as the "Nintendo Switch Lineup." This is in contrast to them previously calling it the Nintendo Switch "Family" of consoles, which is the word they used to describe the Nintendo 3DS Family, when they added New 3DS, XL, 2DS, New 2DS XL. It's a small but interesting and intentional change on their part that I think implies a longer term strategy for Switch, which will later include Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch — OLED Model, Nintendo Switch — 4K Model, and of course potential other variations that we won't ever think up on our own.
I think they learned from Wii U that a slightly new feature on top of the previous console, with mostly the same concepts, and even with backwards compatibility is simply NOT enough to warrant a new generation. I think the "Lineup" of Switch models will just continue to grow over the next 5-6 years, and old models will quietly drop off the Lineup until they decide they can't sell any more Switches at the rate it's been going, at which point they'll have a new enough concept to add onto the Switch hybrid premise.

Switch 2 would be part of the long haul strategy, and its easier to understand and explain. The next concept would have another name.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I personally don't want the Dane thing to be a full-blown successor.

I don't want a new platform. I kinda want this system's library to go an extra mile. Yeah, you might say crossgen this or that, you might point to 3DS still getting games well into the first two years of Switch life, but it ain't really the same. The prime attention of Nintendo's and associate studios would shift to the new platform very quickly. I don't want the last-couple-of-years-of-3DS kinda support and titles to become the norm for this platform starting from 2023. I want Switch library (as in the Switch) to be the best and most comprehensive it could be and I would be perfectly fine if it has to remain the focus of Nintendo to do so.

I'd be more accepting of a GBC kind of half-step situation, but a full on new platform is something I don't really care for yet.

wonaph

Feb 17, 2018
Switch 2 would be part of the long haul strategy, and its easier to understand and explain. The next concept would have another name.
But in that case, I don't see how calling it Switch 2 is better or more helpful than Switch — 4K Model. That latter continues with the convention they've now established with OLED, and I think is easier to understand for the general public. It implies a newer version of the old thing, whereas putting 2 implies an entirely new thing. It's semantics, I know, but naming conventions are basically all semantics and mental associations.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
But in that case, I don't see how calling it Switch 2 is better or more helpful than Switch — 4K Model. That latter continues with the convention they've now established with OLED, and I think is easier to understand for the general public. It implies a newer version of the old thing, whereas putting 2 implies an entirely new thing. It's semantics, I know, but naming conventions are basically all semantics and mental associations.
Switch 2 sounds more worth the upgrade than Switch 4K. Some people may still not have a 4K tv and think upgrading isn't as needed, but when you tell somebody the 2nd version of something very popular is coming out it's easier to justify the upgrade, especially if you bought a switch recently. There's a reason why Sony called the new PlayStation "5" instead of PlayStation "8K". Plus Nintendo can stick a big 4k logo on the Switch 2 box and marketing materials to achieve the same effect.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
I don't get it, why people are still going insane about Bloomberg Nintendo "leaks" if none of those became actually true in the past?

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Switch 2 sounds more worth the upgrade than Switch 4K. Some people may still not have a 4K tv and think upgrading isn't as needed, but when you tell somebody the 2nd version of something very popular is coming out it's easier to justify the upgrade, especially if you bought a switch recently. There's a reason why Sony called the new PlayStation "5" instead of PlayStation "8K". Plus Nintendo can stick a big 4k logo on the Switch 2 box and marketing materials to achieve the same effect.

To be fair I don't think anyone is of the opinion that the final product would actually be called the Switch 4K. It's just how people are referring to it. I doubt they'd release a product called Switch Pro either, but they're just the names we'll use until the product is revealed (assuming it exists and makes it to market).

May 1, 2021
If they start making games that only work in 4K, will Nintendo change the trademark red spines on the game cases to help differentiate the game cases between regular Switch and 4K only Switch games? I'm thinking they go to black.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
If they start making games that only work in 4K, will Nintendo change the trademark red spines on the game cases to help differentiate the game cases between regular Switch and 4K only Switch games? I'm thinking they go to black.

Even if a potential new device launching in 2022 ends up being called and marketed as a successor, expect Nintendo games to be cross-gen for at least two more years.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair I don't think anyone is of the opinion that the final product would actually be called the Switch 4K. It's just how people are referring to it. I doubt they'd release a product called Switch Pro either, but they're just the names we'll use until the product is revealed (assuming it exists and makes it to market).

Switch 2 is an easier name to understand than Switch +, Switch Ultra, Switch Neo, etc. There is a reason we have iphone 14 and samsung galaxy 10 and playstion 5, it works and is easy to understand. I think Switch 2 is the perfect name considering Nintendo does want to keep the Switch DNA going and the "2" helps clearly convey this better system while still having the Switch name attached to it. Nintendo may disagree with me and call the next system the Switch Mii or something, but as we have seen in the past, Nintendo doesn't always do the smartest things when it comes to marketing.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I don't get it, why people are still going insane about Bloomberg Nintendo "leaks" if none of those became actually true in the past?
They're a reputable news organization with reliable sources. Also, it's not like "none of those became actually true in the past" - the only thing about their reporting earlier this year which was inaccurate was the new chip, and this new article explains why the new chip did not end up in the OLED model. The fact that there's developers with dev kits (which is corroborated by Nate) is more than enough evidence that there is/was something in the works - it's just a matter of if it's been cancelled or just had a shift in timeline. Nate has said his contacts are being more chatty since the article came out, so maybe we'll know more soon

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the next system is, I just hope Nintendo is smart enough to keep the same digital architecture in place so that all of our ehsop purchases carry over to the new system. The last thing I want to do is start over AGAIN with the retro library.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my thoughts are that Nintendo will try to stick with supporting the base switch, but third parties will jump quickly. so there will need to be a differentiator somehow. don't think they'll do black. feels very not-Nintendo-y

wonaph

Feb 17, 2018
I just don't agree, sorry. I don't see how Switch 2 is clearer than Switch — 4K Model, for the purpose of what we're discussing, which is what the Bloomberg report has been referring to. No one here would have predicted them calling the upcoming one Switch — OLED Model either, but here we are.

If the only real important improvement that your version of Switch 2 has over OLED or original Switch is that it's 4K/DLSS/whatever capable, then calling it Switch 2 trick people who otherwise don't view 4K as important enough is, at best, disingenuous. Using Playstation as an example to my point though -- they called it PS5 because it is an entirely new console generation. Calling it Switch 2 would tell people this is a new generation of Switch. Which, it very well could be!

But based on what we know and the credible reports, the DLSS capable Switch is NOT a new generation, so simply I think it'll be called Nintendo Switch — 4K Model, particularly because of the most recent naming convention being Nintendo Switch — OLED Model.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
I'm going to sympathise with the sceptics here. After the Great Blue Ball Burst (G3B) of 2021, I don't blame people for recoiling at any suggestion of pumping up the balls again.

Status
Not open for further replies.