liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
How are people feeling about Mario Wonder these days? My opinion on it has plummeted since launch. Kind of a style over substance game for me
It was totally solid but I felt like levels didn't pick up until like half way thru. It's the first entry with a fresh presentation so I think the next one could be really special. The last last level took me so long to beat...

I didn't think it was as good as NSMBU, which I thought was terrific as a platformer.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Switch is the GOAT console, wild that I've played every game on that list.
How are people feeling about Mario Wonder these days? My opinion on it has plummeted since launch. Kind of a style over substance game for me
Still one of the best 2D Mario games, I don't think it's as good as Mario World but it's a great entry coming off of nearly 20 years of NSMB games.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Mario Kart, Metroid and Bayonetta are re-releases. I also do not agree with Mario Wonder being a 90+ at all, animations and some gimmicks aside, i kinda regret having bought it.

Their 80+ list seems to be more in line with my tastes and those are also great scores.

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid, one of my happiest memories was my dad coming home with a gigantic NES box. I was very young, so we really only ever played Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. 1, but I love those memories.

And I continued to grow up with Nintendo, playing games like Megaman X, Megaman X-2, Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, etc. on the SNES. Man, I remember going to the video rental stores to rent SNES cartridges. I remember subscribing to Nintendo Power as a kid, and being so excited that I was able to get a Donkey Kong Country 3 guide shipped to my house.

The N64 has some of my most cherished memories. I remember visiting a really rich friend, and seeing my rich friend's brother playing Ocarina of Time. I was blown away. I had never owned a 3D console like that before. Couple of months later, I got into the Pokemon craze, and my brothers and I all played Pokemon Yellow, Blue, and Red. That Pokemon enthusiasm amplified when Pokemon Stadium came out on the N64. I begged my mom to get us Pokemon Stadium and an N64 console. I begged and begged and begged, and she went out and got an N64 with Ocarina of Time. She couldn't find Pokemon Stadium. To this day - even as an adult with a mortgage and a wife and a daughter, I still have never owned or played Pokemon Stadium. But it didn't matter. I fell in love with Ocarina of Time. And then I fell in love with Super Mario 64. And Goldeneye 007. And Perfect Dark. And Majora's Mask. And other titles like the WWF/WWE fighting games, and Super Smash Bros, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc.!

As a teenager, I waited in line at the Gamecube launch and I was so enamoured by Star Wars: Rogue Squadron at launch. I waited in line for the Wii launch as well. I loved games like the original Animal Crossing on Gamecube, or Metroid Prime 1 + Echoes, Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Viewtiful Joe, etc.

Why did I become an Xbox fan? Because my cousin randomly got me a 360 in 2008. And I was hooked from then on. Imagine a young adult, living on Nintendo his whole life, suddenly getting a 360 with access to Rock Band, Gears of War, Dead Rising, and Bioshock, and - most importantly - an achievements system. I was hooked. From 2008 to present day, I've been an avid Xbox fan and I put Nintendo in my rearview mirror. But I'm eager, so eager to get back into Nintendo. I can't wait to buy the Switch 2 next year and play Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Galaxy. My daughter is 2 now - and I can see her growing up to be a Nintendo kid. We'll have Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. in our house, and I hope she and I can enjoy those experiences together, the same way I loved and enjoyed my SNES and N64 as a kid.

That's partly why I made the thread. Yes, I've been an Xbox die-hard. And I acknowledge I can get over the top when I praise the platform I love. But closing down Tango Gameworks was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I've been yearning for Xbox to stand toe-to-toe with Sony and Nintendo on a first-party level for years. Yearning for them to get to a point where they can consistently release certified GOTY candidates year after year. And then I see them close down their only Japanese studio, their studio that made one of the best, high quality exclusives ever released (Hi-Fi Rush)? I can't anymore. I want to rekindle that same love I had for Nintendo growing up, and I can't wait for the Switch 2 to allow me to do that.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Honestly it was annoying your shtick with Xbox, do we have to put up with this for Nintendo now too? And when Nintendo starts to slide what are you gonna move onto then?
Well, least Nintendo has never had a handheld flop...

If kids stop buying Pokemon, it probably means the whole industry has collapsed.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
You can just play games where they come out and not have have these weird allegiances choosing sides and posting manifestos. If them closing studios is a good realization to not be so emotionally invested in a massive corporation, that's a good thing to learn from. You don't have to fill that void with something else.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Switch is a fantastic console and Nintendo's output has been downright insane both in quality and regularity.

Some of you, on the other hand, are downright miserable.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
When I was a kid, one of my happiest memories was my dad coming home with a gigantic NES box. I was very young, so we really only ever played Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. 1, but I love those memories.

And I continued to grow up with Nintendo, playing games like Megaman X, Megaman X-2, Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, etc. on the SNES. Man, I remember going to the video rental stores to rent SNES cartridges. I remember subscribing to Nintendo Power as a kid, and being so excited that I was able to get a Donkey Kong Country 3 guide shipped to my house.

The N64 has some of my most cherished memories. I remember visiting a really rich friend, and seeing my rich friend's brother playing Ocarina of Time. I was blown away. I had never owned a 3D console like that before. Couple of months later, I got into the Pokemon craze, and my brothers and I all played Pokemon Yellow, Blue, and Red. That Pokemon enthusiasm amplified when Pokemon Stadium came out on the N64. I begged my mom to get us Pokemon Stadium and an N64 console. I begged and begged and begged, and she went out and got an N64 with Ocarina of Time. She couldn't find Pokemon Stadium. To this day - even as an adult with a mortgage and a wife and a daughter, I still have never owned or played Pokemon Stadium. But it didn't matter. I fell in love with Ocarina of Time. And then I fell in love with Super Mario 64. And Goldeneye 007. And Perfect Dark. And Majora's Mask. And other titles like the WWF/WWE fighting games, and Super Smash Bros, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc.!

As a teenager, I waited in line at the Gamecube launch and I was so enamoured by Star Wars: Rogue Squadron at launch. I waited in line for the Wii launch as well. I loved games like the original Animal Crossing on Gamecube, or Metroid Prime 1 + Echoes, Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Viewtiful Joe, etc.

Why did I become an Xbox fan? Because my cousin randomly got me a 360 in 2008. And I was hooked from then on. Imagine a young adult, living on Nintendo his whole life, suddenly getting a 360 with access to Rock Band, Gears of War, Dead Rising, and Bioshock, and - most importantly - an achievements system. I was hooked. From 2008 to present day, I've been an avid Xbox fan and I put Nintendo in my rearview mirror. But I'm eager, so eager to get back into Nintendo. I can't wait to buy the Switch 2 next year and play Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Galaxy. My daughter is 2 now - and I can see her growing up to be a Nintendo kid. We'll have Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. in our house, and I hope she and I can enjoy those experiences together, the same way I loved and enjoyed my SNES and N64 as a kid.

That's partly why I made the thread. Yes, I've been an Xbox die-hard. And I acknowledge I can get over the top when I praise the platform I love. But closing down Tango Gameworks was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I've been yearning for Xbox to stand toe-to-toe with Sony and Nintendo on a first-party level for years. Yearning for them to get to a point where they can consistently release certified GOTY candidates year after year. And then I see them close down their only Japanese studio, their studio that made one of the best, high quality exclusives ever released (Hi-Fi Rush)? I can't anymore. I want to rekindle that same love I had for Nintendo growing up, and I can't wait for the Switch 2 to allow me to do that.
Lovely post and lovely memories.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's great, even if it was a little on the easy side and the bosses were underwhelming. I'd say it's about as good as NSMBU Deluxe but below SMB3/SMW, but I'll need more replays to cement my opinion.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

It's very easy to be a Nintendo fan given they're on Cloud 9 right now and how much they're leveraging their incredible history. It should be the default place to play given how accessible and popular their games are.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024

I kinda dropped it at World 4 and I still need to get back to it, but it just felt off to me for some reason, like it's missing something to grab me so I got bored easily after playing 2-3 levels at a time. It's weird, since then I gave World a try again to see if I was just bored of 2D Mario in general but guess what? I got hooked and beat that 100% in two days.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I think I had an experience in Japan that awakened Nintendo memories for me. That made me think "I want to be part of this again".

Picture this: it's early April of this year. I've been in Japan for about 1.5 weeks on vacation with my wife. We'd been to Tokyo (Shibuya, Akihbara, Minato, etc.), Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Osaka, in that order. It's our last day in Osaka and it's time to take the bullet train back to Tokyo. But before we leave Osaka, we head to the 13th floor of Osaka station, and I visit the Nintendo Store. And I realized: Jesus, Nintendo's influence on our culture is almost indelible. I'm in this Nintendo store and I see multiple stations/sections for the franchises I used to love. A Zelda station. Mario. Stations for games I didn't play but still recognized (like Splatoon). And then I hear Super Mario Sunshine music playing really loudly. And that just brought back a flood of pleasant memories. I don't think I realized it until now, but hearing that Mario Sunshine music blaring loudly in a Nintendo store in Osaka made me think "Hmmm, I should really get back into Nintendo stuff, huh"

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
giphy.gif

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Honestly, for all their faults, in an industry of mass studio shutdowns, layoffs to appeal to shareholders and games that release in a barely playable state...you have to give Nintendo credit. By and large they make high quality, fun games, and you generally get solid value for money.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I think I had an experience in Japan that awakened Nintendo memories for me. That made me think "I want to be part of this again".

Picture this: it's early April of this year. I've been in Japan for about 1.5 weeks on vacation with my wife. We'd been to Tokyo (Shibuya, Akihbara, Minato, etc.), Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Osaka, in that order. It's our last day in Osaka and it's time to take the bullet train back to Tokyo. But before we leave Osaka, we head to the 13th floor of Osaka station, and I visit the Nintendo Store. And I realized: Jesus, Nintendo's influence on our culture is almost indelible. I'm in this Nintendo store and I see multiple stations/sections for the franchises I used to love. A Zelda station. Mario. Stations for games I didn't play but still recognized (like Splatoon). And then I hear Super Mario Sunshine music playing really loudly. And that just brought back a flood of pleasant memories. I don't think I realized it until now, but hearing that Mario Sunshine music blaring loudly in a Nintendo store in Osaka made me think "Hmmm, I should really get back into Nintendo stuff, huh"
I love me some Mario Sunshine. Which track was playing? Was it the Delfino Plaza theme?

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
Also it's weird but despite them having a lot of home runs this gen, I only truly enjoyed very few of their games this time around which really saddens me.

At first I thought it was because I'm older (and pickier) but I also think a lot of it is just how their game design changed over time, they're focusing a lot on more open-ended, sandbox-y experiences across a bunch of their series nowadays and that's just not my thing.

Edit: Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Bayonetta Origins were fantastic though.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Also it's weird but despite them having a lot of home runs this gen, I only truly enjoyed very few of their games this time around which really saddens me.

At first I thought it was because I'm older (and pickier) but I also think a lot of it is just how their game design changed over time, they're focusing a lot on these more open-ended, sandbox-y experiences across a bunch of their series nowadays and that's just not my thing.
I will say that I can feel this to a degree. While I think it worked well with Zelda (because I adore Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom), Mario Odyssey didn't do it for me. I guess I just preferred the insanely well crafted individual levels of 3D World over the openness of Odyssey (I haven't gotten around to playing Wonder yet)

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Won't you miss that on Switch? The lack of them is such a downer for me

Btw I know you like Ace Attorney so I highly recommend Famicom Detective Club

Missing achievements will be annoying. I've never heard of Famicom Detective Club but I've added it to my backlog.

I love me some Mario Sunshine. Which track was playing? Was it the Delfino Plaza theme?

It was Delfino Plaza, yes. :)

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
I will say that I can feel this to a degree. While I think it worked well with Zelda (because I adore Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom), Mario Odyssey didn't do it for me. I guess I just preferred the insanely well crafted individual levels of 3D World over the openness of Odyssey (I haven't gotten around to playing Wonder yet)

See at least you still enjoyed Zelda, I can't even say that (aside from the Link's Awakening remake, which was basically new to me since I didn't play the OG). Odyssey I still mostly enjoyed but my opinion of it soured a lot over time, I actually wish it followed the Mario 64 formula more closely by kicking you out of the levels, since the whole purpose of that was to change the level design every time you re-entered to keep things fresh. I didn't like Bowser's Fury at all so I'm kinda worried about what they might do for the next 3D Mario.

It's just depressing for me to think about the possibility of me not being able to enjoy not just Zelda anymore but Mario too, because at that point I'll have to start questioning why I'm even buying their consoles still which is a scary thought.

Last edited:

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
There's a reason Nintendo is the GOAT :)

You missed a few:

- Super Mario RPG Remake @ 85
- Splatoon 3 @ 83
- Splatoon 2 @ 83
- Ring Fit Adventure @ 83
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 @ 83
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna DLC @ 81
- Clubhouse Games @ 81
- Fire Emblem Engage @ 81

These are basically ports with minimal remastering so I will exclude them:

- Super Mario 3D All-Stars @ 83
- Skyward Sword HD @ 82