Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time shadow drop come. I buy. And I regret for some

raji is far too blurry for my taste. And spirit is much smoother on Xbox as I have both :(

well a short hike seems nice

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
For those interested, do keep in mind that A Short Hike really is...a short hike.

Really excellent game, but yeah, it's completable in one sitting.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to look up a list of all the stuff announced, but the top articles are just posting the top 5-10 big games!

Only covering high-profile releases in an event called "Indie World". Is the irony not lost on them!?

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
A Short Hike looks really neat. I love the art style and graphics. It's like a very pretty DS game, and I mean that as a compliment.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Every time shadow drop come. I buy. And I regret for some

raji is far too blurry for my taste. And spirit is much smoother on Xbox as I have both :(

well a short hike seems nice
How's Spiritfarer's performance on Switch? Worse than Xbox as in '30 vs 60 fps' or as in 'sub 30 fps'?
Also anyone got impressions of that in handheld mode? Especially in terms of 'visibility' (I'm lacking a better term right now), as in are characters and texts easily recognizable/readable or is it very small on the Switch's screen?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Probably already mentioned but Grindstone is a phenomenal puzzle game. I sunk dozens of hours into it on Apple arcade. The latter stages can be a bit too unforgiving but they may have patched them. I stopped subbing about 7 months ago so I don't know for certain

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's Spiritfarer's performance on Switch? Worse than Xbox as in '30 vs 60 fps' or as in 'sub 30 fps'?
Also anyone got impressions of that in handheld mode? Especially in terms of 'visibility' (I'm lacking a better term right now), as in are characters and texts easily recognizable/readable or is it very small on the Switch's screen?
Seems 30 stable. Didn't play long

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
just finished catching up. lots of great stuff. Absolutely adore hades, just got it on pc a few weeks ago and it quickly became one of my favorites, can't wait to get it portable, even if it did look a little slower on the performance side. Also totally down for a short hike, didn't realize that's what the game was. Definitely need to see impressions on some of these like spiritfarer but there was a lot of charm in this showing

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching some video and seems not so bad on Switch

Yeah, I'd say it's below 1080p, but at least 720p or higher (maybe 900? Or dynamic res?) while docked. Tolerable, and the artstyle stands out anyway, but I can understand why someone might wanna hold out because of it.

Anyone tried Raji yet? Can't find any reviews or impressions on it.

My thoughts from previous pages:
www.resetera.com

Nintendo Indie World Showcase 8.18.20 9AM PT

They said something like "coming first to Switch" so you can assume its coming to other places.
www.resetera.com

They said something like "coming first to Switch" so you can assume its coming to other places.

And a more succinct summary from ArmadilloGame:
www.resetera.com

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd say it's below 1080p, but at least 720p or higher (maybe 900? Or dynamic res?) while docked. Tolerable, and the artstyle stands out anyway, but I can understand why someone might wanna hold out because of it.

My thoughts from previous pages:
www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

And a more succinct summary from ArmadilloGame:
www.resetera.com

I only tried handheld and it's really blurry

Last edited:

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Great direct even if they didn't show what I was looking to (Empire of Sin, Disco Elysium and Sable). Keeping an eye on Bear and Breakfast and Card Shark

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I only tried handheld and it's really blurry

Yeah handheld unfortunately just doesn't scale well for this game. Hell, might be why Nintendo went for the timed exclusivity: Without it, it'd be kinda hard to argue for this version unless you really need the portability, no ifs or buts. Unless the game is fundamentally borked on every system, it'll undoubtedly look better elsewhere.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah handheld unfortunately just doesn't scale well for this game. Hell, might be why Nintendo went for the timed exclusivity: Without it, it'd be kinda hard to argue for this version unless you really need the portability, no ifs or buts. Unless the game is fundamentally borked on every system, it'll undoubtedly look better elsewhere.
Art seems nice. Game will benefit a lot of higher Rez. Note to myself : stop buying shadow drops before reading. Regretting this game and spiritfarer.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Why aren't we all talking about Bear and Breakfast.
That's probably the one game that caught my attention the most in this indie direct along with a short hike. I am in the mood for some sort of "management" style game but it's too bad that this game is coming out in 2021. Need to think of a "management" style game to play now though and could use some suggestions...

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in Takeshi and Hiroshi, any comments from Era?
I liked it a lot when I played it on Apple Arcade.

The one thing is that it being about reaching a very specific score to pass doesn't fit well with the brotherly relationship the game otherwise succeeds at creating. There is one point in the score between him being bored and having a lot of fun, so he comes across as a spoiled brat! :P

59uE5Md.png

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Cute games but this Indie World format is really not working for me and doesn't do the games justice IMO.
What format would you prefer? It's a keynote that announces games, shows you some clips, brief description and a word from the developer. From there you can do research further if you're interested. I really can't think of a better way to do it, unless you just want, like, an HTML list of all the games they were planning on announcing??

Oct 26, 2017
Copying my post from the other thread:

Just caught up with today's video and I gotta say: "Best indie direct ever!"
So many awesome surprises! I'd given up on Subnautica getting ported, frankly!
And a ton of other games seem right up my alley! Not to mention so many available now or having a demo! That game about trains - Unrailed! - is the first I want to try. A short hike looks amazing too. There are more I can't even remember, I'll have to watch the direct again.

The Indian game Raji blew me away, it reminded me of a more beautiful Prince of Persia Sands of Time!

I think indies are finally reaching PS2 level - what a glorious time!

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm interested in Takeshi and Hiroshi, any comments from Era?
I played it when it first dropped on Apple Arcade. I really liked it at first, the art was lovely, the gameplay was an interesting concept, and the story was endearing, but I felt like it fell on its ass towards the end. The last couple levels (the final one especially) are extremely RNG-based. You basically can't have a single bad round, which random elements like enemies and damage determine what's "bad", or the entire level is a bust and you need to restart. The whole game is really short, about an hour and some change, but you could potentially spend hours on the final level if you don't get lucky. Also, the story just goes nowhere, which is a bummer of a payoff for the nerve crushing final level.

I heard they patched some things after I played it, so unsure of how much of my grievances that fixed.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played it when it first dropped on Apple Arcade. I really liked it at first, the art was lovely, the gameplay was an interesting concept, and the story was endearing, but I felt like it fell on its ass towards the end. The last couple levels (the final one especially) are extremely RNG-based. You basically can't have a single bad round, which random elements like enemies and damage determine what's "bad", or the entire level is a bust and you need to restart. The whole game is really short, about an hour and some change, but you could potentially spend hours on the final level if you don't get lucky. Also, the story just goes nowhere, which is a bummer of a payoff for the nerve crushing final level.

I heard they patched some things after I played it, so unsure of how much of my grievances that fixed.

The short game length from what you said really deflated my hype and interest for this title. I guess I'll shift my focus to Raji and other titles in this showcase.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that's too bad about Raji, and $22 is probably right on the precipice of buying it or not depending on performance issues.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
There is one point in the score between him being bored and having a lot of fun

Game dev in a nutshell. :D

The last couple levels (the final one especially) are extremely RNG-based. You basically can't have a single bad round, which random elements like enemies and damage determine what's "bad", or the entire level is a bust and you need to restart.

... which makes this particularly ironic.

MegaApple

Jun 20, 2020
India
HELL YEAH, RAJI!

(Disclaimer : I've been following this game ever since first tease. Also I'm Indian)

Devs struggled a lot to get this game made. One of them had to sell their apartment to get funds.
There's whole story on it's development.

So proud my culture is represented at an international stage. Moreover, the Indian indie game dev scene is also getting more exposure.
Really happy this game got made and featured on Nintendo's showcase.

Oct 26, 2017
HELL YEAH, RAJI!

(Disclaimer : I've been following this game ever since first tease. Also I'm Indian)

Devs struggled a lot to get this game made. One of them had to sell their apartment to get funds.

So proud my culture is represented at an international stage. Moreover, the Indian indie game dev scene is also getting more exposure.

My grandfather was from Pune so it was wonderful to see a game actually developed there featured so heavily. I'm not going to lie, it made me quite emotional. Raji was an instant buy for me, I'm not far in but it hasn't disappointed.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
HELL YEAH, RAJI!

I love how richly detailed the world is. So glad this game was spotlighted in the Indie World.