• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Go here https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...nd-cancelling-10m-shares.101211/post-18506463

Original:

Notice of Acquisition of Treasury Shares

To summarise, Nintendo is purchasing one million of its own common shares (0.83% of the total number of shares outstanding excluding treasury shares). The total amount of acquisition is up to 33,000,000,000 yen (~$298 million).

At the meeting of the Board of Directors held on February 22, 2019, Nintendo Co., Ltd. resolved to acquire its own shares pursuant to Article 156 and Article 165-3 of the Japanese Companies Act.

Reason for Acquisition:
To implement a flexible capital policy in accordance with changes in the business environment.

The Period of Acquisition:
From the business day immediately following the delivery date for the secondary offering of the common shares resolved at the meeting of the Board of Directors held on February 22, 2019 (i.e. from the seventh business day following the selling price determination date for the offering, which will fall on any day in the period from Monday, March 4, 2019 through Thursday, March 7, 2019) through Friday, April 12, 2019 *2

*2 said:
*2 When the selling price determination date falls on Monday, March 4, 2019, the period of acquisition will be from Wednesday, March 13, 2019 through Friday, April 12, 2019.
When the selling price determination date falls on Tuesday, March 5, 2019, the period of acquisition will be from Thursday, March 14, 2019 through Friday, April 12, 2019.
When the selling price determination date falls on Wednesday, March 6, 2019, the period of acquisition will be from Friday, March 15, 2019 through Friday, April 12, 2019.
When the selling price determination date falls on Thursday, March 7, 2019, the period of acquisition will be from Monday, March 18, 2019 through Friday, April 12, 2019.

Note that:
*1 A part or all of the above-mentioned acquisition may not be performed depending on the market conditions and other reasons.

(Reference) Possession of treasury shares as of January 31, 2019
Number of shares outstanding excluding treasury shares 120,124,958 shares
Number of treasury shares 21,544,042 shares

(Note: That's 141,669,000 shares total.)

Notice of Cancellation of Treasury Shares

At the meeting of the Board of Directors held on February 22, 2019, Nintendo Co., Ltd. resolved to cancel a part of its own shares pursuant to Article 178 of the Japanese Companies Act.

1. Class of Shares to be Cancelled
Common shares

2. Number of Shares to be Cancelled
10,000,000 shares

3. Scheduled Date of Cancellation
Friday, March 29, 2019

(Reference)
Number of shares outstanding after cancellation 131,669,000 shares

What does this mean?
Nintendo buys their own shares, share price goes up, their ownership of shares goes up.

Nintendo cancels their own shares, share price goes up, shareholders have more voting power.

Edit:
Notice on the Sale of Shares:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190222_1.pdf

OP you should also mention:

The Bank of Kyoto Ltd., Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. and others are selling as much as 2.79 million shares, including an overallotment,

"Due to increased scrutiny of public companies holding shares in one another, some of our stock holders have expressed interest in selling their holdings," Nintendo said in the statement. "For us, we are aiming to place the shares with individual investors, as part of our efforts to diversify our investor base."

The buyback will roughly coincide with the pricing of the stock sale through April 12

This is just Nintendo trying to calm the market.

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It begins

Ox970mW.gif

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Hmmmmmm, fairly interesting, even considering the aforementioned article 178.

As a holder of a modest amount of NTDOY shares, this pleases me

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, to what end could they be doing this? I don't understand any of it, unfortunately, but last time I read something about a company buying back its own shares (it was CDPR), it was claimed that it was because they wanted more control over their own business.

Also, what does cancellation of shares mean in concrete terms? Are they cancelling their own shares? Why would a company do that?

Is this just related to share price boosting or does it have broader strategy implications?

Sorry if the answers are obvious, I really don't understand this stuff!

Last edited:

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Shares are indeed undervalued ATM considering they have the hottest selling platform, strengthening third party relationships, Zelda and Mario kart mobile titles in the pipeline, theme parks and films in development, and more liquidity than god

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
I'm amazed how Nintendo can capitalize almost everyday news with something, props to their PR departments because they nail that 😂😂

Being serious, this is not very common, is it?

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I try to do some fantasy stock market in my head (oh joy) and from the top of my head I remember several other videogame companies like Activision, Sony and Microsoft buying back shares sometime last month as well, could be part of a larger scheme mayhaps?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely ignorant with this stuff so sorry for the thought, but it's surprising to me that you can buy your own stock like that. Isn't that like insider trading?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I have no idea about the stock market, but this sounds like a good thing. 2020 is when they are gonna be transitioning into a larger media and entertainment company, theme parks movies and hopefully more, so they would want to be more in control of the stocks for any possibility, both positive and negative. Meanwhile there are far too many rumors and bullshit analysts that this company should buy Nintendo or that company should, so the actual company buying back stocks and being more in control of itself than the whims of the stock market should theoretically instill far more confidence. Lastly, 2019 has the potential to be their strongest year since the Wii/DS years, so it would theoretically be better for them to be more in control of their profits.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically Nintendo saying "We will use a fraction of our immense cash reserve to buy back and reduce some public stock so nobody can try to Vivendi (hostile takeover) us."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely ignorant with this stuff so sorry for the thought, but it's surprising to me that you can buy your own stock like that. Isn't that like insider trading?
It's insider trading if you had prior knowledge of events that could dramatically screw with stock value. However, this is mostly to both bolster the value of the existing stock and has the side effect of preventing a possible takeover.

Yves and his crew were buying millions of Ubisoft stock to stave off Vivendi, for example.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
they got tired of dumb investors tanking their shares when they announced big games. /s

i wonder what this means...

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Also, what does cancellation of shares mean in concrete terms? Are they cancelling their own shares? Why would a company do that?

Yes, this goes into more detail.

Other than what I already said in the OP which is increasing the value of the shares, they can also use the cancelled stock to pay their shareholders.

But Nintendo isn't having a bad year with the money made so I doubt they'll need to pay their shareholders over cancelling shares.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
IIRC canceling Stock mean those stocks can no longer be traded and have no market value. so if Stocks are parts of your company other owns. you are taking away 10M or those parts from the market and keep em to you, permanently

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

The Bank of Kyoto Ltd., Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. and others are selling as much as 2.79 million shares, including an overallotment,

"Due to increased scrutiny of public companies holding shares in one another, some of our stock holders have expressed interest in selling their holdings," Nintendo said in the statement. "For us, we are aiming to place the shares with individual investors, as part of our efforts to diversify our investor base."

The buyback will roughly coincide with the pricing of the stock sale through April 12

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm sure some bright spark on here will put 2 and 2 together and reveal that this means MS are buying a share in Ninty. Or maybe the whole company.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I try to do some fantasy stock market in my head (oh joy) and from the top of my head I remember several other videogame companies like Activision, Sony and Microsoft buying back shares sometime last month as well, could be part of a larger scheme mayhaps?

Continuing this train of thought lately I see a lot of people being scared about Apple potentially buying out a big videogame company. (Which seems unlikely to me) but then again combining this with the quote Sony made about "Console publishers having to stick together" and Microsoft rumors about putting their cloud service on Switch, the Motley fool upgrading the grade they give Nintendo to "buy" and Nintendo buying back shares it's not strange to think big things are happening to the gaming market as a whole.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically Nintendo saying "We will use a fraction of our immense cash reserve to buy back and reduce some public stock so nobody can try to Vivendi (hostile takeover) us."
They are cancelling more shares than they are buying, so this wouldn't actually help them at all against a potential hostile takeover. Around 15% of the company's shares were in their treasury, now it's going to be around 9.5%.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, to what end could they be doing this? I don't understand any of it, unfortunately, but last time I read something about a company buying back its own shares (it was CDPR), it was claimed that it was because they wanted more control over their own business.

Is this just related to share price boosting or does it have broader strategy implications?

Sorry if the answers are obvious, I really don't understand this stuff!
Basically a buy back can have multiple benefits like preserving stock or a company may find their stock to be under valued and buying back shares can help raise it. Sony even recently even bought back some of their shares because they felt it was being undervalued.

This article can go a bit more in-depth on this
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042015/why-would-company-buyback-its-own-shares.asp

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

I can just quote you in the OP.

I didn't post it before because they didn't translate it and I wasn't sure of Google Translate.

Cinqpesetas

Oct 28, 2017
This is not the first time Nintendo buys back its shares. It has hapened several times in the past.
However, with all the rumors around Nintendo & MS, i feel that something big is coming