• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon with the Switch's ever-growing game library, especially as it pertains to games only being released in digital form on the eShop. So many games hit the eShop on a weekly basis that it's becoming increasingly difficult to find reviews on any but the highest profile Switch releases. There are many eShop releases that have come and gone without garnering even a double-digit amount of reviews on sites like Metacritic. Hell, many of them never have even a single review pop up on aggregate sites. If my search comes up empty on those sites I usually turn to YouTube where I can usually find at least one or two impression or review videos for most eShop releases.

logo.svg

But there is one dedicated site that seems to be excelling at cranking out Switch reviews no matter how small or obscure the game, and that's Nintendo Life. Perhaps they're able to keep up with the volume because they're exclusively covering Nintendo hardware, but I'm sure glad that they're doing their thing. It also helps that their reviews tend to be pretty informative and well-written without being overly long, and most of their review scores seem to be rather fair.

So, yeah. I just wanted to highlight this website because I think they're doing a great job with their Switch coverage. I'm in no way affiliated with Nintendo Life. I just wanted to spread the word.

PS - The eShop could really use a Steam-esque user review and categorization system as well.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
They've been doing work since the Wii Virtual Console & WiiWare days. Took the plunge on a few VC & DSiWare games back in the day that I probably wouldn't have without their dedicated reviews for the service.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Nintendo World Report also deserve recognition for this. Another great site is Nintendo Insider who basically cover everything they can.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I've seen that name drop in passing but never bothered to check them out until now, often do I browse the eShop and see the vast amount of indi games having no idea what I can expect. Gonna bookmark them for sure.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Before Switch they used to review almost every eshop release. Now even them can't keep up with the pace lol

It's a good site, I often check their opinion, their reviews are mostly good.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
They used to be a site dedicated exclusively to Wiiware content. Look how far they've come!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i used to be a big fan of the site during the DS days, read it daily. they even reviewed most dsiware games when most sites didn't bother. good to see they're still around and thriving around switch's success and large number of games.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I think Nintendo world report is also one that tends to review very low profile eshop games but Nintendo life is definitely more enjoyable.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yeah NL is the first place I'll check if I want read a review of some indie game that catches my eye on the eShop. Their interviews and editorials are generally good too. It's good coverage.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
I believe NL's reviewed every single (non Japan exclusive) game released on the eShop since the Wii, it's definitely the site's goal to have 100% downloadable game coverage.

I've written a fair few, not much recently though.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
NintendoLife does a great job with their eShop reviews, although they've started to let some slip through the cracks. I remember when you could look at their Nintendo Downloads round-up and every single game either had a link to a review or a "we'll see what we think in our forthcoming review".

also i will forever love nintendolife for reviewing a totally unknown wii u indie game i made the music for and absolutely slamming every aspect of it in the review... except for the music which they gushed over

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I'm suppose to post this since I have articles there, but if you want Switch eShop reviews, NindieNexus.net has a bunch. It's all they do really.

On topic, I like NintendoLife too.

sainrub

Dec 14, 2017
Nintendolife are lovely people though their recent top Zelda and Metroid rankings have got me feeling old. :D

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Yes! Nintendo Life is amazing, especially for the amount of eshop game reviews they have. And their reviews aren't short or lazy either, they are detailed and let you know how the game is compared to other similar games. They are my go-to place for eshop reviews and info, easy.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
As far as I'm concerned, they're the best of the major Nintendo-centric websites. Been a regular visitor almost daily since 2011, longer than any other gaming site for me. They must be doing something right. ;)

Xan

Oct 27, 2017
They're one of my go-to sites for reviews. I just wish the comments sections weren't so routinely horrible.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
The reviews are always great, it's a shame they occasionally veer into clickbait.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think their reviews are a bit biased (most Nintendo games get a bump for being Nintendo games, most memroably Splatoon 2), but as long as you account for that, yeah, they're a good site with some extremely extensive coverage. I use them fairly often.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, been checking their site for years now, especially for opinions on eShop games. They do a lot.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
NintendoLife is a great site.

What let's them down is their lack of knowledge on Nintendo history and and pretty much anything Nintendo before the 2000's. Probably because the NintendoLife team are fairly young.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've been following them since they were VC Reviews and WiiWare World. They are a great site

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
NintendoLife is pretty good. It's basically the first website I joined and made me discover gaming reviews/ forums. I only had a ds at the time I think (and I used to be anti-sony, lol)

They have good reviews, quite fair and concise.

Oct 29, 2017
That's why they became so popular in the first place. They were the only site that covered every single VC and WiiWare release back in the day; that was their USP.

If you wanted to know what was up with new releases each week, you had literally nobody else to turn to.

It's quite remarkable just how well they've managed the site and how much they've expanded over the last 10 years. They're easily the biggest Nintendo focused site now and a force to be reckoned with. They even run their own independant events throughout the UK now!

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like they also reviewed every game that hit the 3DS eShop, as well. At least, it sure felt like it a few years back.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I like this website bit sorry the "HEEEEEEEEYYYYY. . LLOW everybodyyy " at the video beginnings drive me crazy in a bad way

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're perfect for plagarists.

But seriously they've been very good these last few years. They're good people too.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they review around half of the Switch eShop titles now, since they seem to produce around 40-50 reviews each month. And AFAIK, that's far more Switch eShop review coverage than any(?) other site.

They also have a pretty good database on existing games across different regions.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
But there is one dedicated site that seems to be excelling at cranking out Switch reviews no matter how small or obscure the game, and that's Nintendo Life
I went and counted and Nintendo World Report has 595 Switch game reviews posted on the site right now (reviews only, not counting features, news article and editorials).

That and they have like 4 different podcast series going on (Radio Free Nintendo lasting from way back 1999-2000 just like the site itself) and some visible youtube presence.

I really don't know why you distinguish NL as a bastion of Switch news when there is a site that does more content and have been doing it for longer period of time.

Oct 29, 2017
I went and counted and Nintendo World Report has 595 Switch game reviews posted on the site right now (reviews only, not counting features, news article and editorials).

That and they have like 4 different podcast series going on (Radio Free Nintendo lasting from way back 1999-2000 just like the site itself) and some visible youtube presence.

I really don't know why you distinguish NL as a bastion of Switch news when there is a site that does more content and have been doing it for longer period of time.

NWR/Planet Gamecube is my favourite Nintendo focused website (their reviews, editorials and interviews are always exceptionally well done), but they don't have the manpower to take on the sheer volume of reviews and news coverage that Nintendo Life does. It's a matter of quality vs quantity when comparing the both of them, but hey! Why not both? It's not a zero sum game, there's plenty of room for both!