• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Page 10 to 12.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180201_2e.pdf

Although sales are trending lower than last year, the results from our seventh holiday season sales have maintained stable levels. As explained during the financial results briefing in October of last year, the Nintendo 3DS family of hardware has continued to sell steadily without significant fall-off, even after the release of Nintendo Switch.

Overall totals for 2017 were down compared to 2016 when Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon had globally intense sales levels, but exceeded 2015 in the US and European markets.

A multitude of titles across a wide variety of genres have been released for Nintendo 3DS, creating one of the strongest lineups ever. We are, of course, continuing to develop new software, but we believe it is important to leverage the rich library of Nintendo 3DS series titles to drive sales with Nintendo 3DS owners, as well as consumers who recently purchased Nintendo 3DS hardware.

TL:DR :

- The console refuse to die. HW sell-through wordwide are still stable, even after Switch release.
- 2017 3DS SW sales > 2015 3DS SW sales (US and EU market only)
- Nintendo will support 3DS by releasing new software and leverage the existing library.

Bad news for people like me since I had hope the Switch would - naturally - push the 3DS out and Nintendo would have to make all their portable and home-console effort converge on Switch, but I guess it's not for this year. =/

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I know it's bad for new owners but the selfish part of me wants the 3ds to die so the switch gets all the support.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo should put a junior team on 3DS software development, or a team not experienced in HD development. 3DS can be a farming platform for young programmers and designers before they graduate to the higher end console.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Cheap system with a huge backlog that still sells a ton why not keep it around.

Let it be a system for new developers at Nintendo to make games.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
3DS is still way more portable for me. Been playing it way more than my Switch this year too. Returned to Monster Hunter Stories to so the post game stuff (GOTY for 2017).

It's sad that nobody uses streetpass (I live in a nerd city and ride public transit often). Even I turned it off to preserve battery life after 2 weeks of not even 1 streetpass.

3DS is amazing in a form factor not even Switch can usurp - at least in my lifestyle. Clam shell design makes me feel the rough and tumble portable travel will keep my screen pristine.

Separately, my Switch has some MicroSD issue going on where get an error of SD removal just from holding the system.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
People have been predicting the death of the 3DS for years. At this rate, it will outlive us all.
I'm fine with this. 3DS is easy to stick in your pockets.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I feel like making games for the 3DS will not translate in better hardware sales. The systems will sell regardless. What they need to do is to release MORE Nintendo Select titles. There are so many games I didn't get yet, and probably never will unless they lower the price.

Oct 28, 2017
Sigh. Why wont you just die, 3DS? Please die. Your hardware was shit in 2011 and it's shit now. Goddammit Nintendo you actually have a good handheld now. Put all your attention in to it.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
At this point, I feel like making games for the 3DS will not translate in better hardware sales. The systems will sell regardless. What they need to do is to release MORE Nintendo Select titles. There are so many games I didn't get yet, and probably never will unless they lower the price.
Yes, this is probably the best means.

Make the vast library more attainable.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
There are still lots of Yokai titles to be localized. Also, this might be perfect time to bring Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 too.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
all i want for it is more virtual console games

the 3DS is p much my virtual console machine until the Switch gets its shit together

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see just how much actually comes out on it after this fiscal year ends. There's like... 2 Atlus titles slated and that's it.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind that i like the 3ds, however detective pikachu probably is the last game i am gettin for it, still got lots to play on it too. I especially wanna play those dragon quest ports when i have the time someday and finish up monster hunter stories.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine Switch will eat into 3DS sales in both software and hardware this year, especially with no more new Pokemon on 3DS.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
They had no new games listed for 2018 besides Detective Pikachu and some Sushi game. Even that Kirby game they released wasn't much more than a collection of minigames.

2017 was the last full year for 3DS

Oct 27, 2017
Use the term "Support" very loosely here. Basically what Kimishima is saying is, yes the 3DS is going to get a few more games this year, and will still be sold in stores. But their focus will now be on leveraging its large, existing library. Basically, don't expect another 2017-like year for the 3DS going forward. Eventually Nintendo will transition users away from it over to the Switch. Remember, they did this same song and dance with the GBA and DS, claiming the GBA will still be supported alongside the DS. But all of Nintendo's in-house teams had moved on to DS by that point, and eventually the GBA was discontinued as the DS took off.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it'll keep getting small titles that aren't made by Nintendo. I don't see the problem.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why they would kill it anytime soon - it's like how Sony kept the PS2 alive for years after the launch of the PS3.

You have a massive userbase and the console is a super cheap entry system - they can keep it ticking over for several years yet.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm fine with the 3DS slowly marching on a little longer, but is there really anything exciting announced for this year?

RabbidPeach

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
England
200.gif

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, a New Nintendo 2DS XL is what 150$ ? Half the price of the Switch and sturdy as a brick. You don't go instant-panik mode when your children drop it on the floor.

The "old" 2DS is still being sold for $70 bundled with a game. That's an amazing gaming value for parents and those who don't mind older graphics.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is why I think we will see Link's Awakening 3DS and/or Mario 3D Land 2, maybe even something like Toad's Treasure Tracker 3DS. It should be easy to port.
The 3DS is still alive and kicking and there's no reason for Nintendo to kill it just yet. It's Nintendo's entry point with a low price vs. the rather expensive Switch.

I think holiday 2018 it will go out with a bang. By early 2019 Nintendo should be in a position to drop the price of the Switch and thus they can abandon the 3DS.
There's no one else playing in the cheap handheld scene right now so they might as well just ride out the wave.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well obviously. The Switch ain't even a year old and the 3DS is in a very good position for them.

Only willfully short-sighted fans would unironically ask for the 3DS to die when it would hurt Nintendo's bottom line

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Their internal teams haven't done anything for ages, if anything we'll get more B teams and outsourcing to fill in software gaps.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Bring on DQ XI and release the DQM games to have a monster training game for 3DS to substitute for Pokemon moving to the Switch and you will have my money for a couple more years

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017

Totally. Have the hardware be super cheap, keep most of the best older games on sale for cheap. By this point the best thing to do is make the system and its 7-year catalogue super accessible to people who've never jumped in.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why

we have switch now

You already released a portable Metroid game that wasn't on Switch, don't keep doing this shit pls