• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, the Japanese incels sure have been angry on 2ch.

tbh there is a point with western (at least NA) culture seemingly being ok with violence but sexuality is OMG NO THINK OF THE CHILDREN. Not saying this game is a good example of positive sexual depictions, course. That said, the rest of that wall is hilarious.

I also find it hilarious how the censorship and "as it was intended" situations are just about always involving games with sexualized minors. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't feel like i played a "worse" version back then on Wii U, so i don't really understand the dimension of this ruckus.

As long as the content isn't cut short, it's fine for me. (Regarding the Hot Springs Stuff, i don't count DLC as a part of a "base" game)

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
I have zero interest in these kind of games, but I'm generally against any form of censorship or "adaptations" if you want to call it like that. If the changes only affect the Western version, then it's not that bad, but it gets worse when this kind of censorship is forced on others.

The people who doesn't see an issue in these "adaptations" are probably the same ones who criticized Ubisoft for "adapting" Rainbow Six Siege for the Chinese market.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#FreeTheVaginaBones

This is so dumb.

Now the game will bomb a second time and this time it will stay dead. (And people will blame the CENSORSHIP even though it bombed perfectly fine without it the first time in Japan, tool)

Maybe they can rethink the whole FExSMT thing and give us something of quality, instead of this idol shit nobody asked for.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Well presumably the port was started from the censored version, probably because it's less work than porting 2 versions, or removing the content again so having a toggle kind of defeats that purpose (as they'd have to do the work it seems they intentionally wanted to avoid)
Wouldn't have been an issue if it was the original SKU with just the voice lines changed about the age (which they actually re-recorded in Japanese for the western version).

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Here's the full translated apology from Nintendo

We hereby apologise to customers for the mistake and for not delivering enough information regarding the contents of prior notification for Genei Ibun Roku #FE Encore, the software for Nintendo Switch scheduled for release on 17 January 2020.

This title adds new feature into Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (released in 2016), the Western version of Genei Ibun Roku #FE, the software for Wii U that was released in 2015. We are proceeding with the development with a worldwide common specification and aiming for a worldwide simultaneous release (You can enjoy Japanese language voices in the game).

However despite that, on the promotional activities for Genei Ibun Roku #FE Encore, we did not inform from the beginning that this title would be based on Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. And also in the official home page, we mistakenly posted game screenshots from the Wii U domestic version of Genei Ibun Roku #FE that wouldn't have been included in this title, so the situation caused a misunderstanding to our customers regarding the content of this title.

So on 10 October 2019, we performed replacements of game screenshots in the home page. And on the 17th we posted that this title would be based on Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. But we acknowledge that we did not deliver enough information to our customers from the beginning.

Concerning this, for all customers who have purchased / pre-ordered Genei Ibun Roku #FE Encore through Nintendo eShop or My Nintendo Store, and want to request a cancellation caused by this matter, we will provide the procedures in this page at a later date.

Credit to BlackKite for this

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
My take on the whole "censorship" thing:

giphy.gif

Thing is, I enjoyed the game for what it was on the Wii U. I really don't care about the whole bikini DLC thing, especially if they're 17 year of age. To me, the changes made to the Western version were fine. The story was fun, the gameplay worked really well. I am not fine with sexualizing under age characters anyway.
Same here. The changes are so minimal that people wouldn't notice them if they didn't have another version to make comparisons. And for every bad aesthetic choice, like Tsubasa's outfit posted above, there's an improvement:

SMTxFE_Kiria_idol_outfit_comparsion.jpg

Edit: my bad, this outfit was cut from every version of the game.

The people who doesn't see an issue in these "adaptations" are probably the same ones who criticized Ubisoft for "adapting" Rainbow Six Siege for the Chinese market.
Or we're more familiar with the localization process than you, and understand the reasons why these changes are made.

We just want to see the game as it's intended. I can't read Japanese
Every fucking time.

This kind of purism makes absolute zero sense when you're asking for a localized version of the game. The only way to see the game 'as intended' is to play it in its original language, since no matter how good the translation is, a 1:1 translation doesn't exist.

My honest advice is to just pick up a Genki book and start learning. Alternative, just deal with the fact that you're not experiencing what you consider the most authentic version of the media. It's not a big deal 99% of the time.

Last edited:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's not the point. We just want to see the game as it's intended. I can't read Japanese and never played the game, but in the Censored Gaming video it shows a wall full of girls in bikinis. Is that related to the story? Is someone like obsessed with them and collects their pictures or something?
I promise the game is just fine without walls of underage girls in bikinis.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Lol, these "Censorship" uproars always seem to boil down to young anime girls not in revealing clothing..

Lol, it's getting corny and a little pathetic

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine not buying a game because the anime schoolgirls are wearing too much.

Also where did this vagina bones shit come from? Edit : nevermind see it's been covered... just like the anime titties.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I honestly find people bothered by this creepy because if you are bothered by the fact that they removed panty shots and altered scantily clad outfits of teenagers their is something seriously wrong with you.
I think it's less that they altered them so much as it's the extent to which they did so. I'm sure some creepy people would be bothered if they just made it so you can't see their underwear or made a dress a bit less low-cut, but there'd be much fewer of them.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Same here. The changes are so minimal that people wouldn't notice them if they didn't have another version to make comparisons. And for every bad aesthetic choice, like Tsubasa's outfit posted above, there's an improvement:

Or we're more familiar with the localization process than you, and understand the reasons why these changes are made.

That one wasn't in either versions of the previous release. Its pre release footage and nothing is really "censored"

imo the pre release outfit is just bad

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The wedding dress thing is a little ridiculous, but other than that, judging by what other people have posted regarding the changes, I see nothing to get bent out of shape over outside of someone really, really wanting to be a creep. Those people can stay whining over their lack of sexualized minors.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

What are the reasons? Genuinely curious about this, there's not that much talk about localization on the Internet.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they can rethink the whole FExSMT thing and give us something of quality, instead of this idol shit nobody asked for.

The game has an 80% Metacritic score which is impressive for a game that's so far from what the average Western reviewer wants as the game is a turn-based JRPG about aspiring Japanese media personalities fighting demons while channeling the power of Fire Emblem characters. It's a great game.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Someone should do a ven diagram of NO CENSORSHIP warriors and paedophiles .. cos ven diagrams look like a pair of boobs. hurr hurr

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
is it censorship if the company and creative involved decided to do it themselves?

No, it's not. In this case, they just decided to take the easy way and use the same version, code-base, graphics and audio to save time and costs instead of having to alter two versions for different markets. Now it's the same version for all the markets.

I would've done the same.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
All of these changes are either for the better or so minor that they don't matter at all (though it probably wouldn't have killed them to gut some of the creepy stuff in a less ham fisted way).

That said, probably shouldn't have left this info out when asking people to preorder your rerelease. Any lost sales (which hopefully aren't many) are on Nintendo.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Why is Nintendo being so dumb about this one game? None of this is remotely necessary and it's just making people mad.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Pouring one out for people willing to pay full prize for an 80h dungeon crawler with panty shots, but not willing to pay at all for an 80h dungeon crawler without them.
Glad that this is where we take a stance.

Edit: On topic though, I welcome Nintendo being open about it and offering refunds, I have no issue with that whatsoever. If people were assuming the costumes to be bikinis and they aren't, it's only fair that Nintendo apologizes for being misleading and offering refunds. Doesn't matter what I think about it personally.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I think we can all agree that making a FE Strategy-RPG where you fight the SMT demon armies, like everyone was expecting the cross-over to be when announced, would've made for a less annoying situation. ^^

Though, it being a Persona Lite is still some great game, no matter what changes are in there or not.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I promise the game is just fine without walls of underage girls in bikinis.
Yes, with walls of under aged girls in bikinis.

Some of yall are trying too hard to justify what is ultimately, I want to have all the creepy shit they edited out.
Is it part of the story or not? That was my question. Is there a reason to why it would be there? It's also girls in swimsuits... it's just swimwear.

Holy hell that uncensored outfit is terrible.