• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
https://nintendoeverything.com/nint...uture-of-3ds-and-labo-esports-chinese-market/

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa recently participated in an interview with Kyoto Shimbun, which was published just a few days ago. The company's boss weighed in on selling 20 million Switch units by the end of the fiscal year and needing a steady stream of games for the system, mobile (including keeping smartphone games separate from Switch), and the future of 3DS. He also teased future plans for Labo, touched on eSports, and commented on looking towards the Chinese market.

Here's a full translation of the interview:

Do you think you will reach 20 million Nintendo Switch units sold by the end of the fiscal year?
It's not an easy target to hit by any means, so we're going to thoroughly examine the trends from the year-end and beginning of the year. We'll be going into our third year of the console soon, and the "newness" of the Switch will start wearing off. So, it's crucial for us to release a steady stream of games. We want to show off that users can change their playstyle with the hybrid console and that it can be taken with you and set up anywhere.​
You [recently] meshed the mobile game "Pokémon GO" together with the Switch.*
Smartphones have their own unique playstyles. We don't intend for Switch games to play like smartphone games, or vice versa. Our goal is to get people interested in Nintendo's characters and increase our fanbase. However, games on smart devices are different from consoles – a smart device game doesn't sell out. Rather, after the game gets distributed, more content continues to get added. A stable flow of revenue is connected to this constant improvement of the game. We will continue our pace of releasing two or three smart device games per year.​
Nintendo Labo was an innovative, new set of games that incorporated aspects of engineering. How has it been going?
It hasn't sold as well as our other hit games have, but we did have an increase in sales for Labo during the end of the year. There are many new ways to experience Labo, and we're working on formulating new methods that convey its allure so Labo's sales will have longer legs.​
What are your plans for your handheld system, Nintendo 3DS?
We're nearly 8 years into the 3DS's lifecycle now, so the amount of gamers who have wanted to purchase it are already there. The 3DS has its advantages in being a simple and lightweight handheld that is also quite inexpensive. We plan to continue our 3DS business moving forward, as we've already prepared it to exist alongside the Switch.​
What are your thoughts on eSports, where skilled players compete against each other?
The excitement over it is clear. The core fundamentals of the joy of competition and spectating are right in line with our mindset of creating games at Nintendo. We want a wide age range of players to enjoy this, regardless of experience, so we're currently sponsoring many gaming events and conventions both domestically and abroad. For example, last year we held two large-scale events in Kyoto and Tokyo for the first time, called "Nintendo Live". However it is not our intention to arrange a huge prize pot. From here on, we're considering events that will expand our interactions with fans.​
How about your business strategies for overseas markets?
We're anticipating Asia to grow in the near future. In that regard, there are still many things we can do. So, we want to challenge ourselves in the Chinese market. Games on smartphones are now commonplace, so we're not necessarily fixated on the necessity of dedicated game consoles gaining ground – we want to expand [into that market] by the best means possible.​
*NOTE: In reference to "Pokémon: Let's Go!"

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Interesting points. But these two were particularly revealing.

Labo - Furukawa basically is saying what everyone was thinking. It wasn't a big blockbuster like Smash or Mario, but it's doing well enough for Nintendo to keep it around. So it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo will take it in the future.

3DS - Not much to say here, also what others have been thinking. It's a decent budget alternative to the Switch that'll stick around for the time being, but its obvious that there isn't much of a long-term future planed for it. At least we probably don't have to worry about people bitching about it getting games anymore.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Besides confirmation on Labo underperforming, nothing really new from a strategy point of view: steady release of sales is crucial, 2 Smartphone games per year, 3DS will remain alive, 20m is hard but we are getting there.

Hopefully the Investors Presentation will give us newer info.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Besides confirmation on Labo underperforming
He didn't say it was underperforming, he just said it wasn't as much of a big hit as something like Smash was. Nintendo has been saying that they have different expectations for Labo vs their other Switch games since the thing launched, so this is very much in line with those previous statements. In fact he just mentioned that they'll continue to keep it around and grow it as a product.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Cool to see they're still gonna do LABO stuff!

I get the idea of Nintendo not doing their own competitions with a prize pot. Just hope they continue to open up relationships with pre-existing tourneys and such (if they're still doing that). There's room for both.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting OP, but it's not really cool to copy the entire articles contents verbatim.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
get the idea of Nintendo not doing their own competitions with a prize pot. Just hope they continue to open up relationships with pre-existing tourneys and such (if they're still doing that). There's room for both.
I think they're still open to that. Otherwise Smash 4 and ARMS wouldn't have been at EVO Japan last year. Thing is, Nintendo has always been about making games that anybody of all skill levels can play, so they'll never have a hardcore eSport competition themselves, but will sponsor tournaments that do run their games.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I hope that 3DS part doesn't mean exclusive titles on 3DS. Talking about their smartphone games, how come Dragalia Lost isn't localized in Europe yet ? I've been wanting to try it for a while.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Surprised we haven't heard anything about Mario Kart Tour yet, considering all indications were that it's intended to come out around March. Maybe we'll see some news about it in late January or February for a release soon after.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Besides confirmation on Labo underperforming, nothing really new from a strategy point of view: steady release of sales is crucial, 2 Smartphone games per year, 3DS will remain alive, 20m is hard but we are getting there.

Hopefully the Investors Presentation will give us newer info.

Is it really a surprise to anyone? I mean Labo is a good concept however it was poorly executed and isn't being given enough legs to run post launch.

IMO they should have released Labo a year later instead of doing so right after switch coming out

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A freaking Langrisser mobile game is making big money in China yet Nintendo still has not figured out a way bring FEH to China.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Is it really a surprise to anyone? I mean Labo is a good concept however it was poorly executed and isn't being given enough legs to run post launch.

IMO they should have released Labo a year later instead of doing so right after switch coming out

Again, he never said it under-performed, he's just saying it didn't sell as much as some of the bigger titles. But Nintendo has said that their expectations for Labo are different from other Switch games from the start.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
They haven't done a new 3DS exclusive in forever at this point. It's probably all remakes and compilations going forward like it was last year.

Even those are slowing down. The September Direct only announced one brand new 3DS game, and all of Nintendo's recent 3DS releases came and went with no marketing or hype building up to them. It's clear that the 3DS is going to exclusively rely on its current software library going forward.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Again, he never said it under-performed, he's just saying it didn't sell as much as some of the bigger titles. But Nintendo has said that their expectations for Labo are different from other Switch games from the start.

Obviously, but they should have released this at a time where there more ocnsoles at home rather at the start of their generation

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Obviously, but they should have released this at a time where there more ocnsoles at home rather at the start of their generation

Labo's meant to be an ongoing product line that grows as more kits are introduced. It's quite different from even something like Nintendogs or Wii Fit. It was never meant to be a massive seller right out of the gate, and this is something Nintendo's been saying since it was revealed. It's more like Lego in this sense.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Labo's meant to be an ongoing product line that grows as more kits are introduced. It's quite different from even something like Nintendogs or Wii Fit. It was never meant to be a massive seller right out of the gate, and this is something Nintendo's been saying since it was revealed. It's more like Lego in this sense.

I think it has potential like you said LEGO like, but it somehow needs to deliver more meat regarding it's content and possibilities

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, I don't see where they're heading toward with 3DS.
They want it to coexist with Switch going forward but the Switch is supposed to be both their handheld and home console. I wonder if they're waiting for them to be able to make a handheld only, cheaper Switch or anything.
And yet, their new game output still hasnt gone up :/

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I think it has potential like you said LEGO like, but it somehow needs to deliver more meat regarding it's content and possibilities

Which is exactly what Nintendo is saying. It did fine so far, but it needs to grow as a product line in the future, and if the Vehicle Kit is an indication, they do know there's a lot to explore with Labo.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
They want it to coexist with Switch going forward but the Switch is supposed to be both their handheld and home console. I wonder if they're waiting for them to be able to make a handheld only, cheaper Switch or anything.

It's PR talk really, they always say this whenever a successor console rears its head. Remember the Third Pillar talk of the DS? As for output, well many of their partners and teams just came off their remaining 3DS projects, so they're still gathering the tools and staff needed for Switch games.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Curious about what he means, in regards to Labo. I believe they are still planning on updating Mario Kart with Labo support. I still think they may try to squeak out one more Labo pack before March 31st, 2018. I'd be curious, if they would make other titles designed to appeal to a wide audience that could have optional Labo support.

For example, they could do a Switch Resort Sports. Featuring sequels to 5 classic arcade style games. Variety of control options such as Joycon classic mode being controlled with sticks and buttons, Joycon Default mode being controlled by gyro/motion controls, Balance Board along with the joycons can be used for some of the minigames, and labo integration is possible in the some of the minigames. The 5 classic games are Excitebike, Wave Race, Pilot Wings, 1080, and Steel Diver. Offer the game sold separately as well as having it bundled with Balance boards or Labo.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
They should interview him more often. He gives more informative answers than Reggie.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
They should interview him more often. He gives more informative answers than Reggie.

Reggie's simply just a big hype machine at this point. He's been doing that since forever, but now more so. Like how Reggie says that Nintendo wants every big 3rd party game on the Switch, while Furukawa gave more realistic and honest answer saying that its impossible for everything to come to the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't get how "We're nearly 8 years into the 3DS's lifecycle now, so the amount of gamers who have wanted to purchase it are already there." goes with "We plan to continue our 3DS business moving forward, as we've already prepared it to exist alongside the Switch.". He says that everybody who wants a 3DS already has one, so he is not expecting decent HW sales which is a good thing because they have being awful and getting worse for some time. But games sales on 3DS are also in free fall and new releases are performing even worse than back catalogue. So, what's the 3DS business they are planning to move forward?. I think they should have cut the price significantly last year, now all that there is left is to discontinue 3DS manufacturing, try to sell the remaining stock and offer aggressive sales on the 3DS eShop to try to milk it as much as possible before closing up shop.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
If they want LABO to do better, they need to stop the fixation on physical software and expensive bundles.

Sell individual things like the Piano, Fishing Rod, House, RC Car,Motorbike etc for $6.99--$14.99 with a digital download code, in simple flatpacks, that could be kept in a box to flip through at a checkout desk.

$60-$70 is a lot to spend in a one-off purchase for software plus carboard peripherals that will degrade. Needs to be impulse purchase pricing. They could even go the magazine subscription route and have a $6.99 monthly pack (with individual items or things to build over a few of issues).

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
That was always my thought. It makes sense once the console is cheaper and/or more ubiquitous, as it's a primarily kids product.

If they want LABO to do better, they need to stop the fixation on physical software and expensive bundles.

Sell individual things like the Piano, Fishing Rod, House, RC Car,Motorbike etc for $6.99--$14.99 with a digital download code, in simple flatpacks, that could be kept in a box to flip through at a checkout desk.

$60-$70 is a lot to spend in a one-off purchase for software plus carboard peripherals that will degrade. Needs to be impulse purchase pricing. They could even go the magazine subscription route and have a $6.99 monthly pack (with individual items or things to build over a few of issues).
That's true too. More people would have checked it out.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Seriously. I've been repeating this for months. Didn't want to suggest it again, so I'm glad somebody else did. If any software should come with the Switch, it's the Labo garage. Then sell the kits so Mario Kart fans can cheaply by the motorcycle without investing in the whole set.

Interesting that he said 2-3 mobile games a year. I could swear they were previously aiming for 3-4/year.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming this is the last year for 3DS as support seems to have all but dropped outside of Japan. It will likely only see first party games, and as we've seen, they've been on the unambitious side in the form of Mario & Luigi remakes, and ports of Luigi's Mansion and the like.

Very curious to see if they follow it up with another dedicated handheld. I'm actually in the "no" camp because Switch is a hybrid, even if a lot of us might use it as a console for our TVs.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I'm okay with Labo still being produced, is a fun idea. I mean, sure, you get most of the fun from building the stuff but still is enjoyable.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Switch isn't fulfilling that role.

3DS game sales are all about the long tail now. We just saw Super Mario Maker, Majora's Mask and Starfox 64 added to Nintendo Selects. Nintendo wouldn't be doing stuff like that if the games weren't selling.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

It's pretty easy to figure out how they're positioning the 3ds now, as a budget alternative to Switch. You won't see any more major development, maybe the odd remake/master( Luigis Mansion for example). They want to cover both ends of the market, those who want the 'premium' experience of the Switch as well as those who just want a cheap, casual entry point into their ecosystem with the 2ds/3ds.

Oct 25, 2017
New 3DS games don't seem to be selling.
Mario and Luigi BiS debuted at under 10k and is out of the top 20 in japan already.
Lots of other titles underperformed pretty hard.

Not really worth investing in, but nintendo selects is a smart way to sell more software.

LABO is weird, it'll still sell like 3M units between the 4 games, but the games aren't great enough and the switch is too expensive to have a large kid audience.

I wonder if they could figure out a way to make the Switch packaging into labo itself as a way to give people a demo straight out the box

Becks'

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Canada
ekjpq9ykasg7.gif