• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
PSA: These questions and answers are machine translated via Deepl, meaning certain things may still got lost in translation. Please take these answers with a grain of salt for now.

View: https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1673540885097885696?t=v0-YpJKt7HwVRxkDsXifgQ&s=19

Question: It would be inconvenient if software cannot be transferred from the Wii U to the Nintendo Switch, as was the case when we switched from the Wii U to the Nintendo Switch.

Answer: President and CEO Shuntaro Furukawa: We are always considering various aspects of future hardware specifications. We are always considering the specifications of future hardware, but I would like to refrain from making any specific comments on future hardware at this time. The Nintendo Switch software is sold in a variety of formats, including packaged software, for which customers purchase a game card at a store, downloadable software, and download-only software. Many customers are playing downloadable software and download-only software on Nintendo Switch, and the percentage of digital sales is increasing compared to previous consoles. We will continue to propose unique game experiences using the integrated hardware and software of a dedicated game console, and we look forward to your continued support.

Question: The Wii U, the successor to the Wii, was released about six years after the Wii was launched, and the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) was released about seven years after the SNES.

Answer: Furukawa: Yes. The Nintendo Switch has sold more than 120 million units in total. In the history of our game console business, the Nintendo Switch has been the seventh generation of our console business. In the history of our game console business, there has never been a case where we expect to sell 15 million hardware units and 180 million software titles in the seventh year (fiscal year ending March 31, 2024), and we consider that we have entered uncharted territory.We believe that it will not be easy to sell hardware at the pace of the past few years.

However, we believe that there is an opportunity to take advantage of the large number of units of software in the market. Nintendo Switch has sold more than 10 million units in its first three days on the market, including last year's "Pokémon Scarlet Violet" and this year's "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom," but none of our previous hardware has sold software at such a pace. In addition, we will continue to release new titles.
In addition to continuing to release new titles, we also plan to distribute additional content for existing titles so that customers can enjoy them for a long time.

As for the transition to next-generation consoles, in the past, hardware was the only way for us to connect with our customers, and we had to rebuild relationships with our customers when hardware became new. On the other hand, with Nintendo Switch, we are now able to connect directly with various customers through Nintendo Account. Nintendo accounts have been created by many people around the world, including those from mobile apps as well as dedicated game consoles, and the number of accounts has reached over 290 million. We are committed to ensuring a successful transition from Nintendo Switch to the next generation of consoles by leveraging Nintendo Accounts.

(translation via Deepl, thanks modiz)

Last edited:

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Furukawa doesn't mention the next console as using the Nintendo Switch branding, so you might want to edit your title so people don't get the wrong idea.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I... Don't draw the same conclusion in that tweet based on that response?

The response really doesn't answer the question either. But yes, Google Translate and all.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa says they plan to make a smooth transition from Nintendo Switch to their next generation console via Nintendo Account
Requesting thanks

This reads like the opposite of what I wanted to hear. Maybe something is getting lost for me in translation?
I tried my best to make the google translator make sense, so unless someone can give us a one-to-one translation so I can update the OP, this is sort of the best we got right now

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Surely people weren't expecting just a more powerful Switch? Nintendo hasn't been that company since the GameCube. They'll always be introducing a new way to experience their games, for better (Wii, Switch) or worse (Wii U).

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I've said it before, but if Nintendo puts out it's next console and it's not BC, at least for digital titles, I'm not buying a game from them ever again. From now on that is a standard and an expectation from me that I don't think is unreasonable.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The part about Nintendo accounts is in answer 3, not answer 1 which you have provided a machine translation of.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Unique Play isn't really a meaningful phrase, it's a buzzword Nintendo uses for pretty much everything, just means innovative games, not necessarily hardware gimmicks

Oct 25, 2017
This was Google Translate? Probably not a good idea to jump to conclusions on the "unique play" comment without an actual translation.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
It's hilarious they have 5 current and prior consoles/handhelds whose online stores are basically seperate entities. How do you fuck up that bad.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Before this goes into 10 pages of people complaining about stuff like "unique play" and other things, OP did say this was machine translated. So maybe take a step back before overreacting.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Oh, they will definitely do something to piss people off in some way. If they don't, I will be incredibly shocked. Happy, but shocked.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
How many times do people need to be burned by poor machine translations of JP interviews before they stop rushing in to overreact to this stuff?

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All's they gotta do is bring back street pass and miiverse (now that Twitter's imploding) and that's enough "unique-ness". Pls don't go crazy.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'll count it as a (happy) miracle if there really is a smooth transition and there's full BC with Switch games.

But as for the whole unique play thing, that could be anything or a complete nothing burger, so I wouldn't even worry about that in the slightest.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
If its not BC this time I'll flip my lid. And their online service should at the very least start with all the current retro games and consoles that are on switch.

If those 2 things are true I'll buy it day one and not think twice.

If not I'll huff and puff for like 3 days and then buy it anyway lol

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
For reference this is the text being quoted:

当社としては今後も引き続きハード・ソフト一体型のゲーム専用機によるユニークな遊びを提案していきたいと考えていますので、ご期待いただければと存じます。

Deepl gives me this:

We hope you will look forward to our continued efforts to offer you unique game experiences using a dedicated game console with integrated hardware and software.

Erdago

Apr 2, 2020
How many times do people need to be burned by poor machine translations of JP interviews before they stop rushing in to overreact to this stuff?
Especially since Nintendo is going to put out official translations of this very Q&A in the next few days so we can fully understand the exact meaning of the answer.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same exact thing they said 6.5 years ago when they revealed the Switch yet people will still prefer to panic for some reason...

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I read through the Japanese, and I get the sense that they are hinting at the fact that because the nintendo account system is in place, they are looking into making the next console BC. No confirmations or anything. Just PR talk about the account system making it easier to have connected devices where bought items are shared on an account as opposed to their previous consoles.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Google translate has separated what is one line in Japanese. The "unique" line is just part of the previous sentence.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's come a long way with account stuff. They have family accounts, procedures to move accounts...you know, normal stuff. Granted they were like 10 years late to the party, but they're there now. I'm not worried about this. And, prior to the complete cutoff with the Switch, they had a great track record with backward compatibility with their portables. And I do think they consider Switch a portable, even if I don't.

What worries me about Switch 2 is that it won't be the Switch 2, in name or in function. Come on, Nintendo. Just be normal for once. Nobody wants another Wii U. And, quite frankly, nobody wants another Wii, either. Be creative with your games, or services, and just make a more powerful Switch.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't interpret the unique line as like a "wii-like revolution" you guys. Unique as in how they want to keep innovating with unique ways to play and making unique games. What they have always done. It's a nothing statement.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'd use deepl to automatically translate Japanese rather than Google, it does a better job:
Q1
It would be inconvenient if software cannot be transferred from the Wii U to the Nintendo Switch, as was the case when we switched from the Wii U to the Nintendo Switch.
Shuntaro Furukawa, Representative Director and President: We are always considering various aspects of future hardware specifications.
We are always considering the specifications of future hardware, but I would like to refrain from making any specific comments on future hardware at this time. The Nintendo Switch software is sold in a variety of formats, including packaged software, for which customers purchase a game card at a store, downloadable software, and download-only software. Many customers are playing downloadable software and download-only software on Nintendo Switch, and the percentage of digital sales is increasing compared to previous consoles. We will continue to propose unique game experiences using the integrated hardware and software of a dedicated game console, and we look forward to your continued support.
Q3
The Wii U, the successor to the Wii, was released about six years after the Wii was launched, and the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) was released about seven years after the SNES.
Furukawa: Yes.
The Nintendo Switch has sold more than 120 million units in total. In the history of our game console business, the Nintendo Switch has been the seventh generation of our console business.
In the history of our game console business, there has never been a case where we expect to sell 15 million hardware units and 180 million software titles in the seventh year (fiscal year ending March 31, 2024), and we consider that we have entered uncharted territory.
We believe that it will not be easy to sell hardware at the pace of the past few years.
A3

However, we believe that there is an opportunity to take advantage of the large number of units of software in the market. Nintendo Switch has sold more than 10 million units in its first three days on the market, including last year's "Pokémon Scarlet Violet" and this year's "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom," but none of our previous hardware has sold software at such a pace. In addition, we will continue to release new titles.
In addition to continuing to release new titles, we also plan to distribute additional content for existing titles so that customers can enjoy them for a long time.
As for the transition to next-generation consoles, in the past, hardware was the only way for us to connect with our customers, and we had to rebuild relationships with our customers when hardware became new. On the other hand, with Nintendo Switch, we are now able to connect directly with various customers through Nintendo Account. Nintendo accounts have been created by many people around the world, including those from mobile apps as well as dedicated game consoles, and the number of accounts has reached over 290 million. We are committed to ensuring a successful transition from Nintendo Switch to the next generation of consoles by leveraging Nintendo Accounts.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
Get ready for the New Super Switch DS 3D U

I dunno, I feel pessimistic about being able to transfer everything from our current "Switch" to "Switch 4 U" or whatever it'll be called. I hope it happens.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
They gonna monkey paw it and only digital titles will transfer over and physical won't.