• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
Please lock if already discussed
Some interesting conversation

During the Q&A portion of Nintendo's financial results briefing, current president Tatsumi Kimishima and upcoming president Shuntaro Furukawa fielded around a dozen questions. There was talk about Kimishima's retirement, wanting to reach new people with Switch, continued 3DS support, interest in China, and a whole lot more.

Currently, the Q&A transcription is only in Japanese. However, Dualshockers has provided a summary, which we've rounded up below. We'll also bring you more on this when the English translation is live.

– Furukawa's priority is to accelerate the momentum of Switch and to expand the related business
– There is also the issue of expanding the mobile business
– Kimishima explained that the company turned a good profit on the previous fiscal quarter
– The core of Nintendo's business is in developing creative content, and most investment needs to go into that
– Since technology is advancing at tremendous speed, if Nintendo finds a possible partner whose tech is highly compatible, and good for the customers, an investment there could be considered
– Nothing to talk about that on that front at the moment, but he'd like to continue exploring various possibilities
– The customer base for the Switch is expanding in Asia and the Middle East, and the volume of sales in the region defined "other" (IE: outside Japan, Europe, and North America) is certainly increasing
– There are also areas in which customers can come in contact with Nintendo's IP via the mobile market
– The goal is to expand in Asia, the Middle East, and South America, while it's still hard to say how big the market there will be
– On retirement, Kimishima said that his primary role was to bring Switch to market and deliver it to the customers in the way that was envisioned
– His secondary role was to change the executive system in order to quickly execute projects that the members of management have been considering while creating mechanics which would allow the new generation to do well
– As authority and governance have been delegated more and more, younger managers were able to run the company and achieved success in the past two years
– Now that various projects are progressing well, Kimishima believes it's a good time for a change, to delegate authority to new people, to promote a generational turnover, and to become a more vibrant Nintendo by placing new managers in charge
– Kimishima said it'll be important to challenge the task to sell Switch to those who never played on a Nintendo console before, and tho those who have been playing in the past, but have since left
– There are plans for games that will interest even those who have not been playing games recently
– The consensus within the company is to engage in a company-wide effort to achieve that, and that includes overseas subsidiaries
– He does not think that the goal of shipping twenty million units in this fiscal year is easy to achieve, but he does think that the company has the means to make it
– In order to keep selling Switch for a long time, Nintendo needs to continually launch new experiences that customers would like to enjoy forever
– There is nothing to announce on that front as of now, but the company accumulated experience with launching numerous consoles, and that includes mistakes
– They plan to make use of that experience
– They would like to keep selling Switch for as long as possible while reacting flexibly to changes in the market
– Nintendo expects demand for 3DS to continue for the current fiscal year, especially among parents
– The rich library and the price that is easy to afford for parents who want to buy the console for their children, the 3DS will continue to sell
– This situation may change if the Switch can transition from "one per household" to "one per person" but the Switch won't have a price that many parents can afford paying for all of their children any time soon
– Nintendo will keep tracking what kind of play experience and price customers are hoping for, and will keep selling the 3DS as long as there is demand. At the moment, Nintendo feels that it's a well-diversified product from the Switch
– Kimishima is aware that the demand for Nintendo games in China is growing, as Chinese customers are seeking similar experiences to all other gamers who enjoy Nintendo games
– The company has been looking for over ten years for a way to achieve that, but it's not an easy goal to meet
– Nintendo can't do business in China by itself
– Many companies offering partnerships, but that doesn't mean that the issues will be solved immediately as soon as a partner is decided
– Management is continuing to discuss the issues and looking for ways to solve them
– A stage in which contracts can be drafted has not been reached yet, but the desire to achieve that goal as soon as possible has not changed
– Nintendo Switch Online service will be positioned as one of the mechanics to encourage a deeper gameplay experience and having more fun playing with the Switch
– Nintendo is still preparing to launch the service, and this will bring some costs in the first half of the fiscal year, but it should not be a large amount
– Kimishima-san expects the percentage of digital sales to steadily increase in the future since customers are getting accustomed to receiving digital content
– Since there are still many customers who request exclusively packaged games, not all sales will become digital
– The rate of digital sales also varies depending on which game is being sold, who is purchasing it, and the age target, so it's difficult to predict how far it will grow in the future
– Since the games of some western developers have already reached 50% of digital sales, Kimishima feels that the overall rate will surely increase
– In terms of contributing to the stability of revenue, even if the digital ratio increases, if total software sales decreases, it won't contribute to profit, so the most important element remains to create good games that many customers will buy

Source

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180428.pdf

https://nintendoeverything.com/nint...aching-new-people-with-switch-3ds-china-more/

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see them expand and create new development teams to produce more games and of increasing variety of genres and audiences.

More games = more sales to make revenue + more confidence in the consumer to buy your console = bigger install base and more consumers to buy other games, bigger install base and more consumers = better third party support (with increased variety of supplied games, both kid friendly and mature, many genres = established fanbase to buy those third party games)

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Part about overseas subsidiaries was interesting, although that could just be more about marketing and what not. Would like to think they're planning to develop more overseas for diverse perspectives for diverse audiences.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
China is practically next door for them. Why can't they do better business there.
It is huge. It has unique market conditions. It has unique government conditions. They haven't broken into it (despite some past efforts) so all these things are still obstacles and could continue to be obstacles.

Oct 27, 2017
Kimishima's role is particularly interesting. It more or less confirms that he was just following the road-map Iwata had laid out. Had Iwata still been in charge durring the Switch's success, he may have very well passed the torch to Furukawa so that a new generation could lead Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- There are plans for games that will interest even those who have not been playing games recently
– The consensus within the company is to engage in a company-wide effort to achieve that, and that includes overseas subsidiaries

Ughh please don't tell me this means getting Retro to make casual games??

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
– There are plans for games that will interest even those who have not been playing games recently

Interesting... That would coincide with the rumors about Pokémon Switch being a Kanto remake. Definitely would attract people who have not played Pokémon recently.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo can never be maintream in Chine like the way it is in America, but a niche product is still a lot in China. They need a partner though. Both Sony and Microsoft have partners to sell their boxes.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
- The goal is to expand in Asia, the Middle East, and South America, while it's still hard to say how big the market there will be
Finally!
- Nintendo is still preparing to launch the service, and this will bring some costs in the first half of the fiscal year, but it should not be a large amount
Oh, maybe it will indeed be great if it will be costly for half a year.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the new experience portion:

Kimishima said it'll be important to challenge the task to sell Switch to those who never played on a Nintendo console before, and tho those who have been playing in the past, but have since left.

The bolded almost sounds as if they are planning to go after the strictly PS4/XB1 crowd, considering the casual market has always been apart of Nintendo's audience in some form.

I am interested to see the official translation for that answer when Nintendo posts their English version of the Q&A.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.

The bolded almost sounds as if they are planning to go after the strictly PS4/XB1 crowd, considering the casual market has always been apart of Nintendo's audience in some form.

I am interested to see the official translation for that answer when Nintendo posts their English version of the Q&A.

yea that is what I understood too

it is what they are lacking afterall, PS4/XB1 Market and the fans who left them.

Jacky127

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
China is practically next door for them. Why can't they do better business there.

They will need a trustworthy partner who is able to reach the desired audience and, most importantly I think, deal with the government. A foreign company is not "legally allowed" to sell its gaming console here in China.
Actually, only a few companies are somewhat qualified to do that. Tencent, NetEase (Blizzard's partner in China), Perfect World, Oriental Pearl (Playstation and Xbox in China).

Oct 27, 2017

It could also be referring to those raised on a steady diet of smartphone games, along with casual Wii owners who skipped the Wii U.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So that's the thinking behind keeping the 3DS around, huh. 'Too expensive' to buy one for everyone in the house. I suppose that's true. They are left in a weird position supporting it though, since all the marketing and core IP production has clearly shifted to Switch. I wonder how low hardware sales would have to drop for it to be uneconomical to keep supporting.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I took it more as "those gamers who left our ecosystem to join Playstation". Nintendo as of late has been making strides trying to (re)build bridges towards their platform, such as seeing Nihon Falcom bring Ys VIII on the system (which I never really saw coming). Oh yeah, and that thing with Bethesda as well.

Oct 27, 2017
So that's the thinking behind keeping the 3DS around, huh. 'Too expensive' to buy one for everyone in the house. I suppose that's true. They are left in a weird position supporting it though, since all the marketing and core IP production has clearly shifted to Switch. I wonder how low hardware sales would have to drop for it to be uneconomical to keep supporting.
The 3DS' stable sales over the past two years had a lot to do with Pokemon. Sun and Moon gave the console a much needed shot of adrenaline in 2016. And Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon combined with the New 2DS XL helped the 3DS have its best US holiday in years last year. With no Pokemon or any sort of sales catalyst this year for the 3DS, sales could take a significant nose dive as more people move on to the Switch, especially if more of its newer games get Switch ports like Sushi Striker. This scenario would force Nintendo to retire it sooner than anticipated.

In other-words, the 3DS will be like the GBA before it. It'll stick around until it's no longer a viable venture for Nintendo.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the biggest issue with the Switch right now. Everyone needs one for it to be a true portable on par with 3DS.

Right now, it's too expensive for that. Thus, the 3DS has a place.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I hope Nintendo doesn't spend to much time and money with this "New Experiences" to attract people outside gaming. That's the type of mentality that ultimately created a disconnect between Nintendo and its core gaming audiences.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
– Kimishima-san expects the percentage of digital sales to steadily increase in the future since customers are getting accustomed to receiving digital content
– Since there are still many customers who request exclusively packaged games, not all sales will become digital
– The rate of digital sales also varies depending on which game is being sold, who is purchasing it, and the age target, so it's difficult to predict how far it will grow in the future
– Since the games of some western developers have already reached 50% of digital sales, Kimishima feels that the overall rate will surely increase

Is he talking about some western developers in general, or on the Switch? Normally I would think the former, but some things he says and the context he says it in makes me think it might actually the latter (on the Switch).

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

it would be a really poor choice to follow up a 2d platformer by spending 5 years retooling retro into making party games.

the closest i can imagine is if they gave retro the next gen of 2d mario after the high quality of dkc tf.

there's also other non-japanese affiliates. next level is probably a better studio to assign to a sports or party game, for example, because mario strikers is hot fire.

Oct 27, 2017
But it also made Nintendo insanely profitable. Nintendo was at their peak with the Wii, and they're trying to re-kindle that same sort of lightning in a bottle. Remember, at the end of the day Nintendo cares about money first and their shareholders second, and a dramatic spike in short-term profits make shareholders the happiest.

The era of Nintendo chasing the core wholeheartedly died when Yamauchi retired from the Board of Directors in 2005.

I wouldn't say that. Even with their Casual boom, we still got games aimed at the core gamer too. Nintendo's a big enough company that they can do both equally.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
– On retirement, Kimishima said that his primary role was to bring Switch to market and deliver it to the customers in the way that was envisioned

His strategy for the first year was great and he achieved this goal successfully. the price was spot on, and yet he could've reduced it if things didn't work as expected, unlike the WiiU where Nintendo couldn't lower the price and there was no plan B. I think he also considered releasing that Pokemon Stars game alongside Mario Odyssey to achieve that 10m unit forecast in the system's first fiscal year at any cost if things didn't work like expected.
the release schedule was also very smart. releasing with a one system seller game is an old strategy for Nintendo and worked more than not (it wasn't rushed or anything like that, its their strategy from the beginning), then followed by Mario Kart the next month, and Splatoon 2 in the summer.
the one thing I disagree with is the Nintendo Labo, I feel its too early for this type of a product. the system didn't reach the hands of many children and parents yet, and the value proposition could've been better... for example selling it with an additional Joy Con (or even 2) at 100$ would've been a better choice in my humble opinion, offering a Wii Play-like product.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
it would be a really poor choice to follow up a 2d platformer by spending 5 years retooling retro into making party games.

the closest i can imagine is if they gave retro the next gen of 2d mario after the high quality of dkc tf.

there's also other non-japanese affiliates. next level is probably a better studio to assign to a sports or party game, for example, because mario strikers is hot fire.
That might actually be it - Retro's next game might be a next gen 2d Mario. It's not Prime (which everyone says they are not working on), it's not DK (which they seemingly also are not working on), and it caters to their current strengths.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
His strategy for the first year was great and he achieved this goal successfully. the price was spot on, and yet he could've reduced it if things didn't work as expected, unlike the WiiU where Nintendo couldn't lower the price and there was no plan B. I think he also considered releasing that Pokemon Stars game alongside Mario Odyssey to achieve that 10m unit forecast in the system's first fiscal year at any cost if things didn't work like expected.
the release schedule was also very smart. releasing with a one system seller game is an old strategy for Nintendo and worked more than not (it wasn't rushed or anything like that, its their strategy from the beginning), then followed by Mario Kart the next month, and Splatoon 2 in the summer.
the one thing I disagree with is the Nintendo Labo, I feel its too early for this type of a product. the system didn't reach the hands of many children and parents yet, and the value proposition could've been better... for example selling it with an additional Joy Con (or even 2) at 100$ would've been a better choice in my humble opinion, offering a Wii Play-like product.
I actually agree with this. The Labo's execution in message was good, but I feel this would've really benefited after they brought down the pricepoint of the Switch, not that it needed any.

I also think they need to balance the value proposition with more (1st party) games, and although the output has sort of slowed down, they need to pick up the pace quickly if they want to maintain momentum before the first price-drop.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The parts about elevating younger managers sounds great. Kimishima has done a good job and I'm glad the top level leadership recognize the need for more change and the success their efforts have already with the Switch itself, new IPs, and the clearer messaging.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting... That would coincide with the rumors about Pokémon Switch being a Kanto remake. Definitely would attract people who have not played Pokémon recently.

It's interesting that people can make these kinds of conclusion. I'm sure there's a name for this phenomenon.

Anyway, let's not draw too much conclusion without the officially translated Q&A. Nintendo's wordings are incredibly precise and it might conflict these translations.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that people can make these kinds of conclusion. I'm sure there's a name for this phenomenon.

Anyway, let's not draw too much conclusion without the officially translated Q&A. Nintendo's wordings are incredibly precise and it might conflict these translations.

I would go with stretching and delusion personally.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hear nothing truly out of the ordinary in their vision and direction that hasn't already been spoken/hinted at previously with Iwata's plans for the Switch and Kimishima to execute. So far par for course... stick to NIntendo's strengths, and include people who have never played games before, or re-acquire those who lost the interest.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's not what I'm saying...

Which group of people and what type of games is he speaking of.
I hope Nintendo doesn't spend to much time and money with this "New Experiences" to attract people outside gaming. That's the type of mentality that ultimately created a disconnect between Nintendo and its core gaming audiences.

Wow, this thread got really embarassing really fast

Don't worry guys, Nintendo won't take from you your h4rdc0r3 games, as it didn't with DS and Wii. You can sleep well tonight.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this thread got really embarassing really fast

Don't worry guys, Nintendo won't take from you your h4rdc0r3 games, as it didn't with DS and Wii. You can sleep well tonight.
wait wut. I own 1 2 switch and love wii sports & resort pretty unconditionally. i can love nintendo's expanded audience games and still think retro in particular is unlikely to be making a party game.

alanoide97

Jan 4, 2018
México
Playing it a bit safe there, with some risks, like Labo, but mostly safe bets like DK TF or Hyrule Warriors but hey, they are a bussiness.
I'm not worried for the mention of pulling in casual markets.

After all, I need a healthy Nintendo, because then they have more resources to allocate in every direction.

Of course I want Prime 4 to release soon, but maybe, to make it really great, they needed the money that Hyrule Warriors Deluxe or Kirby brought to the table, so welcome 0orts and casual games

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
wait wut. I own 1 2 switch and love wii sports & resort pretty unconditionally. i can love nintendo's expanded audience games and still think retro in particular is unlikely to be making a party game.

And why is that, exactly? People misjudge Retro a lot. Remeber fucking Donkey Kong? If retro wants, needs or has to make a party/casual game, they will. It's that simple