• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...t_interested_in_virtual_reality_or_4k_support

Nintendo France MD Philippe Lavoué has stated:
If you look at VR headsets, I doubt they can appeal to the mainstream. Consumers are not patient with entertainment if you're not able to deliver an all-inclusive package.

As far as 4K is concerned, is it useful to invest in a technology that has not been adopted by the majority? Where are 4K TVs now? Is it a good idea to invest in a technology before consumers do? We can't invest in everything. And what novelty would we bring compared to our competitors?

If we do the exact same thing than everyone else, we're bound to die because we are smaller than them. With the Switch, we offer different uses, adapted to players' pace of life. Its advantage is being able to fit into your daily life

Thoughts?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
They know their strengths and are focusing on what they do well. They don't need any of these things.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested either at the moment. They're killing it right now doing their own thing so why rock the boat?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'd love if they could put out a dock capable of boosting Switch output to proper 4K, but I also know it's just not what they're interested in.

They'll get to 4K five years after everyone else, and it'll look great when they do.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
On the Japanese side the comment from Nintendo on VR is that they are researching consistently but have no information to share. That's a bit different than not interested in VR. These comments seem narrower that what you usually see from Nintendo on tech questions like this.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Too bad they won't try something with VR yet. I really think that with the creative talents they could do something really special with it.

Edit:
On the Japanese side the comment from Nintendo on VR is that they are researching consistently but have no information to share. That's a bit different than not interested in VR. These comments seem narrower that what you usually see from Nintendo on tech questions like this.
Yeah I like the sound of this way more. It would be a huge waste if Nintendo of all creators ingnored VR.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're right. 4K would be nice I guess, but the portability aspect is more important for their sales and many of their consumers, so it'll happen in the future.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I think that they are interested, just not acting on the interest until the market is more open to them. 4K will take at least until next gen Nintendo to be something that everyday consumers all have. VR is still in its infancy of getting rid of all of the drawbacks (screen door effect, wired headsets, etc). Once all of these things have been dealt with indefinitely and can be done at a reasonable cost, Nintendo is likely to jump on it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
MD = managing director?

To be fair, he's a marketing guy, maybe logistics guy. I don't think he has an inside track on what Nintendo's long term strategic thinking is, but the Switch obviously isn't positioned as a VR or 4K device so he is right, but the Switch's design template is basically what a future VR console is going to have to look like.

No one is going to buy a $300 box and a $500 VR head set to play VR games, it's a niche product if that's the case.

In ten years, I can see Switch VR being a thing.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
vr is a very niche market and they dwelved into that ages ago and it wasnt good for them. i commend sony for trying but they have a much more powerful machine.

regarding 4k well thats just higher resolution and more power. switch obviously cant go up 4k but the next platform may.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the Switch as a console as much as I do a portable system I can play on my TV when I want to. Like a PS TV, but not shitty and with arbitrary restrictions on what games I can and can't play. The best I can ask for is a handheld system with a native 1080p display that outputs visuals undocked as nicely as it does docked, but I don't want Nintendo to do 4K just yet. Power consumption would eat the battery alive.

Oct 25, 2017
I can interpret the comments as they're not interested in putting resources into those projects for mass market currently. Experimenting with it in R&D is always a given.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The "where is the 4k audience" deal isn't a great point, especially given that general stance bit them when they said the same thing about HD.

That said, they aren't that wrong to not be rushing into 4k for now.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Seeing as how they had growing pains just moving to HD, not a surprise at all. I doubt they'll ever target VR and 4K is probably off the table even for their next effort after the Switch. Besides, it's not like they need to play that game. They know what makes them money, and their art design is so strong that Zelda looked better (to me) than many games with turbocharged IQ @ 1080p.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good on Nintendo, I also have no interest in these things and I own a PS4 Pro ironically :P

That is ridiculous.

In what way? The Switch obviously couldn't support 4K or (good) VR. They could obviously create a new console, but that's outside of their current means.

Good. 4k is so uncessary that it hurts. Imagine a game build from ground up to Xbox One X at 1080p, the graphics would be awesome.

4K movies are dope

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. 4k is so uncessary that it hurts. Imagine a game build from ground up to Xbox One X at 1080p, the graphics would be awesome.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo will do 4k in the future for sure once it because more popular, as for VR. They already said they are researching so we shall see what comes from that.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Well, yeah, it's sensible. 4k's too expensive right now-it's getting very, very close-but it's still too expensive. And VR's both too expensive and has massive issues to overcome. They'll probably do 4k within 6 years and VR within 10.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If I buy 2 switches can each screen be a lense in a vr helmet.

Also when is theSNK all girls fighting game coming out?

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
4K would be too ambitious even for a hypothetical Switch 2. I'd be very pleased with base PS4-level power in handheld mode, and a 1080p screen.

VR is a possibility. Risky for sure, but it could be lucrative if Nintendo nails the design...

OP
OP
Mcjmetroid

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland

Ya my take is that you can take it with a grain of salt. They have been researching VR I believe and debated on it but probably figured they couldn't possibly compete with Sony or Microsoft. I think if Nintendo are not first to the game with their idea they're gonna have a hard time catching up.

In regards to 4k, I've seen comments that Nintendo were arrogant with this during the Wii era in regards to SD to HD but I don't think the jump is as drastic here.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Do it when they think it's ready.
No point chasing the same things the giants are going for.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
4K would be too ambitious even for a hypothetical Switch 2. I'd be very pleased with base PS4-level power in handheld mode, and a 1080p screen.

VR is a possibility. Risky for sure, but it could be lucrative if Nintendo nails the design...

Phones have had 4K screens for 2 years now. Assuming the Switch successor comes out in 6 years, I'd be very disappointed if it were only 1080p capable.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
a lot of 1X and Pro enhanced titles struggle to get 1080p at a steady 60 fps so yeah.... i don't see nintendo getting on the 4k boat any time this decade and then some

nintendo VR will be incredible when it happens, i don't believe for a second it's something they're not R&Ding. but again it's far off

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Phones have had 4K screens for 2 years now. Assuming the Switch successor comes out in 6 years, I'd be very disappointed if it were only 1080p capable.

I think it will support 4k for sure, I don't think Nintendo games will though, other then the odd 1 or 2 titles...Even though Zelda 4K would look amazing.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
smart. VR is just not an interesting idea at this moment, and it's really hard to market even when it's good which is why it didn't get any major success despite all the money that was invested in it and all the hype around it which has mostly fizzled out.
4K is not important now, they'll get there but they can ignore it for like 10 years without it really hurting them.

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're not representative of mainstream audiences. Most people can't even tell 720p and 1080p apart. In other words, our enthusiast opinion is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Well not currently. Does that mean it's pointless to have a 4K screen in a phone?
No, but that's because it is a phone, not a game console. It does other things like taking pictures and you can watch movies on it to utilize the 4k. A game system that is for playing games that won't play any 4k games would be entirely wasteful having a 4k screen.