Oct 27, 2017
Ngl ive seen seing this whole "nintendo is gonna make pc ports for sure!" Comments lately and it awfully sounds like thinly veiled portbegging to me

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
with all this talk about fps, can somone explain why is 144Hz such a big deal compared to 120Hz? like, the difference between them is so small. does it actually make a difference in practice?
It's not a big deal vs 120Hz really. The main advantage 144Hz has is that it can do 120 FPS with VRR.
Now you might think: can't 120Hz do 120 FPS? Well it can, but that's outside the VRR active range.

With VRR, the upper range is about 116 FPS on 120Hz before you start getting input lag from multiple frames being queued up. This limit is around 138 FPS on 144Hz.

Now 116 FPS vs 120 FPS is negligible. Nobody should be able to see the difference because they are so close.
But there are cases where a game is only smooth when running at exact multiples of 30 or even 60.
116 FPS should be perfectly smooth; but if it's a game where the camera updates at multiples of 60, it will be juddering constantly.
So you have to choose between 120 FPS with a couple of frames of input lag, or 60 FPS without any.
In other cases, the choice is a bit easier if it's smooth at multiples of 30 or 50, because then you can limit to 90 or 100 FPS - which are still a lot better than 60.

It has irritated me somewhat that most PS5/XS games do not let you just turn off VSync if you have a VRR display. Not that I'm expecting Nintendo to reach that dizzying height either!
VRR still requires v-sync to operate correctly.
Without it, you'll see screen tearing at the upper end of the range, as the frame rate approaches the maximum refresh rate - or even further down in the range if frame-times are highly variable.

To be fair they could be telling the truth - I struggled to tell the truth between 60hz and 120hz on my LG C3. Diminishing returns and all that.
I expect there must be something else at play, because 60 to 120 FPS is very far away from diminished returns.
Many people start to report that 240Hz vs 360Hz is a relatively small upgrade - but then find that 480Hz/500Hz is a noticeable upgrade over either of those.
It's more that you need to double the frame/refresh rate once you get above a certain point, rather than the difference not being noticeable.

But it's also important to note that refresh rates by themselves do very little.
60Hz vs 120Hz or 240Hz does almost nothing if your game is running at 60 FPS.
You really only get better input lag from it (60Hz refreshes are 16ms apart, 240Hz are only 4ms apart - so the screen updates 12ms faster).

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think we should be prepared for a ton of cross-gen Switch 2 games just running better on Switch 2.

See Thousand Year Door at 30fps. I think Nintendo intended this game to launch of Switch/Switch 2 with 30fps on Switch and 60fps+ on Switch 2.

Makes sense they would be adding a lot of framerate options to their engines so they can scale between generations.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Even if not 100% accurate, the positive hits keep on coming.

It's going to make the reveal all the more sweeter.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Because the market for premium, controller-driven mobile games is almost non-existent?

So? Making non premium touchscreen games would be cheaper and lower risk so why don't they fire 90% of their devs and just do that? AI is hot right now why don't they pivot and demand their focus goes into that? Why don't shareholders demand anything so specifically besides apparently wanting them to release stuff on PC? Oh yeh right because they actually aren't and that is total nonsense besides the wants and desires of people on this forum

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
I think we should be prepared for a ton of cross-gen Switch 2 games just running better on Switch 2.

See Thousand Year Door at 30fps. I think Nintendo intended this game to launch of Switch/Switch 2 with 30fps on Switch and 60fps+ on Switch 2.

Makes sense they would be adding a lot of framerate options to their engines so they can scale between generations.
Yea I agree. I expect them to sell one of the switch 1 skus along with the Switch 2 for at least 2 years. The user base is just too massive to ditch and the Switch 2 won't be cheap by Nintendo standards is my guess

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda disappointing tbh. I'd like to see Nintendo do something bold and make the Switch 2 less powerful than its predecessor. 4GB of RAM max.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Yea I agree. I expect them to sell one of the switch 1 skus along with the Switch 2 for at least 2 years. The user base is just too massive to ditch and the Switch 2 won't be cheap by Nintendo standards is my guess
Especially for a lot of their games and typically their focus is the graphics don't matter that much… so 4k/60 with RT should kinda be a moot point for most Nintendo games.

We don't need Mario Sports with ray tracing 4k/60… or Wario Ware… or heck even Mario Kart doesn't really need better graphics.

Kinda curious if they can somehow successfully use the additional power in other ways? Outside of a few games, I don't feel like developers have really figured out ways to utilize the increased power outside of improved visuals. Especially when games like Tears of the Kingdom are massive physics simulations already running fine on Switch 1 hardware.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

Some of us have given the hints from the speculation thread. As long as the cpu uplift grunt is real I don't see how it won't happen even in games that have fps locks (minimums and better averages) or DRS (games wills scale till the gpu can't do no more.) in them. LIke I will say it again, nintendo best make xenoblade accessible on this thing asap.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Um... why though? The current Switch is already at 4GB RAM.

The Switch wasn't exactly a significant leap forward from the Wii U from a performance perspective – admittedly for completely understandable reasons, so it'd have to be similar. You'd have to assume it was smaller and lighter with even more serious battery constraints. Make it a foldable pocket-sized device and I've believe 4GB.

Or you could just assume the person you were replying to was typing very much tongue in cheek, that the Switch 2 will finally mark the first substantial step forward in 12-13 years. Not that I expect a real powerhouse, mind you, because that's hasn't been their goal for quite some time. I am, however, expecting something that leaves developers feeling not quite as constrained. Hopefully they do something about I/O performance as well, but if they retain their fondness for physical cartridges then there are practical limitations in terms of what's available.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
VRR still requires v-sync to operate correctly.
Without it, you'll see screen tearing at the upper end of the range, as the frame rate approaches the maximum refresh rate - or even further down in the range if frame-times are highly variable.

Hmm? My understanding of VRR techniques is they eliminate the need for locking the frame rate to ensure vertical synchronisation (and prevent tearing). I understand that some require frame rates to be within a given threshold to work effectively.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm? My understanding of VRR techniques is they eliminate the need for locking the frame rate to ensure vertical synchronisation (and prevent tearing). I understand that some require frame rates to be within a given threshold to work effectively.
A lot of people misunderstand how v-sync operates and think that just by enabling it you'll suddenly have multiple frames of additional latency - which is not the case.
V-Sync is basically the "never tear" option.

If you combine that with a frame rate limit below the maximum refresh rate, there is no latency penalty for having v-sync enabled.
This is why the effective upper limit for VRR is 116 FPS at 120Hz and not 120 FPS.

But a frame rate limit by itself cannot ensure that there will be no screen tearing.
A 116 FPS limit at 120Hz with v-sync off is very likely to tear.
Perhaps not constantly, but you cannot rely on a limiter to do the job of v-sync.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
The 240fps could be a future proofing thing.

That is the most likely reason. We know Switch 2 isn't going to support 240Hz since TVs top out at 120Hz today

If you're updating the engine for 120 FPS support, then you might as well future proof it by supporting 240Hz. That way you don't have to touch that shit again for the next 20 years at least. AKA your entire career at Nintendo.

Anything else is extremely outlandish.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
So like, take something like Dragon Quest XI for Switch, recently bought (lttp), but at this stage struggles with aliasing and at 30fps. Could this say bring it up to the standard of the PS5 version (well enhanced PS4 version), smoothing out the details and bumping the framerate? Or does something like this require a patch form the developer?

tajd

Mar 15, 2024
Is the switch to switch 2 the longest generation ever it's been 7 years now and 8 when it's rumoured to come out. I love my switch but I'm ready to move on, for now paper Mario TYD and Luigi mansion 2 for me will be its swan song and if the switch 2 is coming out next March I wonder what there holiday game will be?

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Haha you're right. They never pursued any kind of improvements on visual quality.

Like, they never tried to implement glassesless 3D, or lagless video streaming to a secondary device, or a long life OLED screen for that matter.

Nintendo, pursuing display tech improvements? Lol so dumb, amirite?
But what I'm trying to say is that motion control, the second screen on WiiU, the touch screen, the 3D effects, and the ability to dock/undock all were very innovative and unprecedented changes that boiled down to a whole lot more than "the same as before, but better specs"...which is a race Nintendo abandoned after the GBA and GCN.

I'd love to see a high refresh rate screen on the next Switch, and maybe Nintendo's into the idea because of how prevalent those screens are in cell phones and other smaller devices and maybe they really want to provide that experience for the players.

Maybe Switch was successful enough that Nintendo's not going to hunt for innovation and just going to optimize horsepower and features. It'd definitely please me as an audience but it's not what I've come to expect from them.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Is the switch to switch 2 the longest generation ever it's been 7 years now and 8 when it's rumoured to come out. I love my switch but I'm ready to move on, for now paper Mario TYD and Luigi mansion 2 for me will be its swan song and if the switch 2 is coming out next March I wonder what there holiday game will be?
To be fair, it's unprecedented, as claimed by Nintendo themselves since 2020.