JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
People using him as a way to showcase Nintendo as evil and actively malicious need to stop, take a step back, and think.

So many people have come to me about this with false information, and I've had to showcase how fucked the grift this guy is pulling is.

It's not my role to do this, either. I'm not getting fucking paid here.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I usually like the guy, but that video was incredibly lacking in self awareness on his part. Like he would literally make fun of the exact sort of rant he went on if he had read it from someone else in the form of a reddit post.
Even going beyond all the shitty people he associates with and defends, he's a dipshit about a lot of shit. He's the kind of person to complain about a game being too political "BECAUSE VIDEO GAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ESCAPISM, PEOPLE PLAY VIDEO GAMES BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH REAL LIFE ISSUES" but now he's out here calling for a protest of Nintendo for the terrible crime of "disrespecting gamers".

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something that I didn't get was if 100% of the money of the joycons went to charity or if he kept part of the money

This is answered in his current indiegogo:
By reaching our initial goal of $5,000 we'll be able to make our first production run of 500 Game Armor Joy shells. This is the minimum order quantity needed for production.

The price for each set of shells is $35 and is broken down as follows...

40% - Production cost and Indiegogo Campaign fees

30% - Employee and Operation costs

30% - Donated to the JED Foundation* for Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Awareness

*30% Donated to JED Foundation is based on the total amount raised after all production costs are deducted.
This is less than what he claimed to be giving to charities on his past indiegogos for these shells. This campaign is also being done under a different account on indiegogo than his others.

I have some hesitation that $65 shells cost $26 to produce per pair including fees to indiegogo but that is a whole other topic. For each sale of $65 roughly $19.50 goes to charity, the same amount goes to the company. There is an * on that though as the campaign states that money after costs is donated. That is a very dubious number if costs are not properly accounted for to backers.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
After all of this I still see people saying that Nintendo is still the bad guy of this story in particular because they shouldn't have done anything in the first place, and like, despite all the copyright problems that are hard to understand, they couldn't have just ignore this since you have to carefully see how the charity is being handled if it has your name and if they wanted to make it official, it doesn't really make sense since this was not just the only thing they C&D from him, so would have been "yeah, you have been earning money with our ip's so stop with that now or we'll sue you, except for that one thing, we'll actually make it official and make you our partner", doesn't really make sense

But hey, the lack of context and lies this cases has been reported has no turning back, + some younger Nintendo fans are too inoccent in some ways

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The reason I take issue with the cost of $26 per pair is that the campaign states that $5000 will allow for a production run of 500. This puts cost at $10. You could argue that there are additional costs to drive this value up but seeing as he has made numerous shells before those costs should be low. The artwork is just a modification of what he made before, he has experience in production of shells, etc.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the title should be updated to cover the fact that Etika's family weren't asked at all.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know I thought it was a strange that Nintendo was tripling down on being hated by fans.

Nope, just folks trying to make the fire bigger than it is...

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
This guy is definitely a grifter and given the circumstances it's beyond repugnant. And then to all but attack Etika's family... They must be feel horrible seeing this.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
How many of the people using this to get views on Youtube or to support their melee movement will acknowledge this?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can ya'll suggest a good title since y'all are following it pretty in-depth? That would help out a ton
My issue of the current one is now it sounds like Etika's family is criticizing Nintendo for stopping the seller, not the seller for using his name without permission. I would make the subtitle something like "seller criticized by family for using Etika's name without permission" or something like that

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
My issue of the current one is now it sounds like Etika's family is criticizing Nintendo for stopping the seller, not the seller for using his name without permission. I would make the subtitle something like "seller criticized by family for using Etika's name without permission" or something like that
Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of title length limits when making updates. How's the new one look?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This is just fucking disgusting, and exactly as I feared when I saw this story. I feel so bad for Etika's family, no one deserves to have a loved ones death be monetized like this

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this thread is such a rollercoaster.

at the end of the day all of the people involved are villains taking advantage of people who don't know better or are dead.

Nintendo's image is so bad that it just invites people to leech and take advantage of all their negative moves with their own shitty moves.
the fact it's so easy to get tons of views with those kind of videos is a consequence of their shitty attitude towards fans.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Zero percent surprised by this development.

I'm more disappointed that so many here jumped to judgment in condemning Nintendo than anything, even though it was clear from the jump that we didn't have the whole story.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, first pages of this thread are even more embarrassing now. Incredible development of events in such a short amount of time.

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how I was one of the tiny few not to go nuts in the first few pages and actually brought logic to the discussion. And even I didn't know how bad it'd actually get.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So can we expect retractions of the hot takes from the first few pages ? 🤡
4ea.jpg

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Since my earlier post he has slashed the price to $35 for a pair. I am very suspect of the original 40% estimation totaling $26 that was required to cover costs if the price can suddenly be lowered to $35.

I have a feeling he is realizing the grift is coming to an end and is now just grabbing what he can. The indiegogo has already been funded and the damage has been done. Unless Indiegogo gets directly involved, and I don't think there is much reason for them to do so, this guy is going to make off $6000 plus from the campaign.

I don't think he won't deliver, he does have a business to maintain. I just really question how much, if any, of that money will actually go to charity.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's still a lot of talk about how the Smash community reacted to this, but I don't think that's all that important. What the guy wanted to happen was:

- He wanted this event tied to #freeMelee so that he could piggyback off of that anger.
- He wanted to use the images of Iwata and Etika to increase the value of his brand and products.
- And ultimately, he wanted to increase his clout and visibility of his business.

Maybe it's vindictive, but I think the focus on this guy should be based on damaging all of these efforts. For the first, rather than continually to bring up how dumb people were for being duped by their anger to Nintendo, I think it makes more sense to jettison that part of the conversation and zero in on uncovering the issues with what he's doing here. With how he's trying to use Etika, I think we should focus on the fact that Etika's family still exists and can be communicated to and deserves a say in how his image should be used. As for his clout, I suppose we could try to bury him, but I think his efforts are more undermined when we dig out the issues with his supposed charity work.

Oct 26, 2017
Also he apparently says in his campaign that only 30% of the money goes to charity (or is it to just one of them?), funny how he misspelled "all of the money goes to charity" here. 🤔

Edit: Came from this:

Eo0s3FdVEAA03ve

... Is even half of those statistics real? Doesn't Kickstarter only take 5%?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Also he apparently says in his campaign that only 30% of the money goes to charity (or is it to just one of them?), funny how he misspelled "all of the money goes to charity" here. 🤔
It's mentioned in the post above, isn't it? There's an asterisk on it too.
This is answered in his current indiegogo:

This is less than what he claimed to be giving to charities on his past indiegogos for these shells. This campaign is also being done under a different account on indiegogo than his others.

I have some hesitation that $65 shells cost $26 to produce per pair including fees to indiegogo but that is a whole other topic. For each sale of $65 roughly $19.50 goes to charity, the same amount goes to the company. There is an * on that though as the campaign states that money after costs is donated. That is a very dubious number if costs are not properly accounted for to backers.