• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
...Fusion 2.

I'm worried after playing the mastahpeece that is Hollow Knight I won't be able to appreciate the next 2D Metroid. Everything from the map design to the animation to the fluid, precise combat is exactly what I want from Metroid, and Team Cherry has demonstrated they can do it.

(Please no untagged HK spoilers, I'm only eight hours in.)

In my excitement thinking about a Team Cherry-made Metroid I forgot Nintendo outsources to developers they don't own all the time. Y'all right, there is no need for Nintendo to buy them. Please return to talking about how great Hollow Knight is.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a great idea. Hence why Nintendo won't do it.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SotN shits on Hollow Knight.

Sup.

tumblr_molpx4qkM91rw0szfo1_500.gif

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't need to buy developers to make titles in their franchises. Metroid has been developed by third parties at least 2 times now, and it's likely Prime 4 is being developed by a third party.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nah, they shouldn't. There are a million competent independent Metroidvania developers to the point that Hollow Knight doesn't really stand out. And Nintendo doesn't need to buy anyone.

Oct 27, 2017
This is nonsense.

You can outsource development without having to buy a company. Nintendo literally already did this with a Metroid game with Mercury Steam. There is zero reason to buy them.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think they should buy them, I wouldn't mind them contracting them out for a game of course.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
why do people always need nintendo to buy everyone?!
Why are people obsessed about big companies buying everyone in general? Microsoft should buy Platinum, Sony should buy From, Nintendo should buy Team Cherry etc. I don't understand the obsession. Let them be third party so as many people can enjoy their products.

Last edited:

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
What about for us folks that don't like Hollow Knight and don't think 2D Metroid needs to be like that?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Also, Hollow Knight is so good that I want PS4 and XBO owners to get it. Everyone should get to play this game.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they were working on their own stuff to be honest. The aesthetics and worldbuilding in Hollow knight is remarkable, and I don't want any of their future games to be held back by working on someone elses material.

Jeenaud

Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
please no. Started playing hollow knight on switch and it was not that great. I would prefer it if they had mercurysteam keep doing 2d metroid from now on.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all due respect to Team Cherry, this is Team Cherry's first game. Not saying buyouts like this haven't happened in the past-- and as amazing as Hollow Knight is, I feel like they probably need to prove it's not a fluke. It's kinda like new bands, it's typically the second album that makes or breaks a career after a good first impression.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
As much as I love Hollow Knight, and as much as it's a great Metroid Style game, that doesn't necessarily translate to Team Cherry being able to make the best Metroid possible. They're a small team and Hollow Knight was clearly a passion project. If their dream is to make Metroid I'd trust em, but if it isn't I wouldn't force it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
spoken like someone who didn't touch Hollow Knight.

You're missing out on quality craftsmanship.

I'm not missing out. I'm currently playing it on Switch and I think it's really good. I just think there are a lot of quality entries in the genre including Hollow Knight so I don't know why Team Cherry is being singled out as the God Dev of the genre.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not missing out. I'm currently playing it on Switch and I think it's really good. I just think there are a lot of quality entries in the genre including Hollow Knight so I don't know why Team Cherry is being singled out as the God Dev of the genre.

Based on their overall output, I'd rate Image and Form higher.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'm good. Let them make their own IPs.

Nintendo can take a dev like Mercury Stream and a director like Sakamato and turn out a glorious comeback like Samus Returns. Metroid isn't endangered anymore.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
No, instead they should FUND a new one, like they did with Bayonetta 2. Allow Team Cherry to add some Nintendo crossover stuff if they want.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Nah locking their games to single platform is trash. Hollow Knight was GOTY.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
TBH I think Drink Box would do as good a job, if not better. Guacamelee is my favorite Metroidvania, and Severed shows they could do the tone right.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Nope. We need more Splatoons, ARMS and new IP from Nintendo, not sentencing incredible talent to working in another IP's shadow for the rest of their careers.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Team Cherry only like 2 or 3 people? Wouldn't it make more sense to just offer them jobs at one of their studios? Sorta like the guy that made Downwell.