• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Covers a lot of my take on Nintendo in general. As far as current performance, I'm quite sure that both Nintendo and investors expected Labo to be a bigger deal, but it's instead been a flop. They are going to need a price drop or significant bundling to hit that 20m mark.
There won't be a price drop, but there will be bundles in November. Bundles for MSRP, like with Mario Odyssey. And people will eat it up. The Mario bundle was impossible to find and there were no savings. None.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Those empty spots in the schedule hurt. We got nothing for 5 months until Mario Party in october and then Pokemon and Smash. After that im pretty sure nothing is announced until Spring 2019 with FE? As good as smash looks, It aint looking like a "20m switches" lineup.

Edit: forgot about Octopath tennis, its from JuLy to October where there is a drought of no big titles.

Last edited:

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
To feel really optimistic about them reaching their target though I would have expected stronger sales volume during the first half of 2018

since 20 mil is their target for this fiscal year, are not the 3 first months of the year a bit meaningless? i mean it in the sense that, while the sales have not been as strong this start of the year, for their goal, only the last 2 months count (and they have a very strong line up for the rest of this month and summer with a very strong christmas)

We are talking Fortnite, a Mario sports with very good word of mouth, a july with lots of variety titles and then for the end of the year Mario Party, a Pokemon game that is appealing to a wider audience and the ulitmate smash game.

Deleted member 26462

User requested account closure
Oct 30, 2017
What shareholders who weren't paying attention learned from yesterday, is that despite the Switch's success, Nintendo has not changed. They're still the same conservative company that doesn't invest in improving its internal capabilities, doesn't invest in new studios, and doesn't create new intellectual property, at least not in any meaningful way that will grow the company long-term. Investors learned yesterday that any net income Nintendo gains will continue to be flushed out as dividends instead of being reinvested to improve these shortcomings. Yesterday showed the Switch will still be hobbled by droughts and poor services, despite Nintendo saying they were prepared this time.

Nintendo is fundamentally a poorly run company, but they have exclusive access to resources that are:

-Valuable
-Rare
-Difficult to imitate
-Not easy to substitute

That is to say, they have their intellectual property and brand. This allows them to be poorly run and still be comfortable. Nintendo should be a much larger company, around the size of $150 to $200 billion, with robust studio capacity and internal capabilities that could take full advantage of the opportunity they have with the Switch. But, management has been and continues to be uninterested. I hope the new President will be unexpectedly ambitious and have a grander vision for the company than what we've seen now for nearly 20 years.

Dump the current executives.

Put people with modern business knowledge like Sony or MS has

Wait

Problem solved

I love Iwata but i have to agree with Pachter, he wasn't good in business, nor their executives.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Their E3 Direct was decent for a Direct but honestly I think people are disappointed mainly because all the others seemed to have gone all out and blown their loads at this E3. Lots of trailers shown without gameplay and/or release year.

Aside from Anthem, Spider-Man, Fallout 76 and Battlefield there was nothing that seemed particularly impressive in terms of sales potential for the near future.

In any case E3 doesn't have the same impact when it comes to Nintendo like it did years ago. We get at least 3-4 similarly sized Directs per year so it's all good.

Nov 13, 2017
The fans are losing their minds over Smash Bros. while the investors are having meltdowns. I don't understand how the stock market works. I'm just happy that I get to play so many wonderful games :)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
  1. E3 in general feels pretty weak this year on all accounts. Maybe that's just me though...
  2. I don't trust stock owners when it comes to games. I've heard some armchair stock brokers who give all these items that would make for good choices for the company and I just shake my head at how out of touch they seem to be.
It was a snoozefest of an E3 all around, but still (as someone who has never owned an Xbox) I'd say MS did much better than Sony and, yeah, Nintendo. I love SSB but it was a bad E3 for Nintendo.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Those empty spots in the schedule hurt. We got nothing for 5 months until Mario Party in october and then Pokemon and Smash. After that im pretty sure nothing is announced until Spring 2019 with FE? As good as smash looks, It aint looking like a "20m switches" lineup.

People in this thread keep ignoring Mario Aces.

It's going to sell gangbusters and is the perfect lead up to Fall.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
No surprise, this year is basically just Nintendo pumping out ports.
I'd have less problem with ports if they weren't all Wii U games.

If Nintendo had announced a Luigi's Mansion HD port for the Switch (as opposed to or as well as the 3DS one), I'd have been delighted. If they released the Nvidia Shield HD ports of Wii games like Mario Galaxy, I'd have been delighted. I'd even have taken a port of the port of Windwaker HD ..if it was 60fps this time around.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Their E3 Direct was decent for a Direct but honestly I think people are disappointed mainly because all the others seemed to have gone all out and blown their loads at this E3. Lots of trailers shown without gameplay and/or release year.

Aside from Anthem, Spider-Man, Fallout 76 and Battlefield there was nothing that seemed particularly impressive in terms of sales potential for the near future.

In any case E3 doesn't have the same impact when it comes to Nintendo like it did years ago. We get at least 3-4 similarly sized Directs per year so it's all good.
Were half way through the year and weve only had the Direct Mini and the Pokemon reveal. At most we get 1 more E3 sized direct if youre being optimistic for a total of 2.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

This isn't even close to true.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol. Nintendo will sell every Switch they can manufacture until at least the end of the year with Pokemon alone nevermind Smash and the Switch back catalogue on top.

Switch still has Mario Tennis, Octopath, Mario Party, Pokemon, and Smash as exclusives this year along with Dark Souls, Wolf II, FIFA'19 and indies. Not exactly weak...
Not exactly weak, I agree. But each year a Nintendo platform needs its SM3DW moment, its BotW moment, its SMO moment, its Metroid Prime moment.

And if you've been playing Nintendo systems for the past 2 gens, then this year lacks that moment for you, since smash (while NOT a port) isn't THAT much different from the Wii U edition as of yet, and Pokemon Lets Go (while poised to sell well) isn't aimed at the same audience established on the system by BotW and SMO.

For all intents and purposes, 2018 is a lesser year than 2017 by most people's standards. We aren't even getting an "ARMS" like experimental title this year which could have helped.

Year 1 of the Switch was very aggressive because we had new experiences. But year 2 of the Switch is very tame considering we only got very safe looking sequels to games and ports - the only exception being LABO which is rather hit or miss.

Face it, Nintendo played it very VERY safe this year. And I do think that is an objectively truthful criticism.

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Their show was really bad, but to put it into perspective, it would be interresting, and a key moment for Nintendo this year, to see how Spider Man PS4 performs VS Pokemon Switch.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd have less problem with ports if they weren't all Wii U games.

If Nintendo had announced a Luigi's Mansion HD port for the Switch (as opposed to or as well as the 3DS one), I'd have been delighted. If they released the Nvidia Shield HD ports of Wii games like Mario Galaxy...I'd have been delighted. I'd even have take a port of the port of Windwaker HD ..if it was 60fps this time around.
Fully agreed. There's so much easy money for Nintendo, ports like these already would make their fans so happy. But they just sleep on it. Those games could fill the gaps easily. Why are they not doing that? Its mind boggling.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol mods wake up, I thought there were no reactionary threads during E3. I find it hilarious and ironic that a thread about stock prices because of a E3 showing is still around.

May 4, 2018
You nailed it, ResetERA. Warren Buffet himself took one look at a roster that includes Fortnite, Pokemon, and Smash and said "there's no Animal Crossing, SELL."

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
You would think Nintendo would learn from Switches year one - big, ambitious triple AAA releases, titles month after month and this year we have a fraction of that level of support. Nintendo are coasting and falling into the same old pitfalls.

Its 100% obvious no matter what the sales they won't be attracting the AAA third party support and they don't have the resources to support a system with large scale, AAA titles month in month out. They seriously need to expand their own development teams or acquire some devs otherwise they are never going to be able to sustain 10-20 million console sales year after year.

You people act like turning out "big, ambitious triple AAA releases, titles month after month" is easy and Nintendo is, by choice, not doing that again this year. Game development takes time and we ARE getting a Pokemon and Smash this year. Last year was an anomaly because Nintendo was able to port over BOTW, which had been in development fora ages on the Switch and to get Odyssey out there quickly. The fact that some of you act like there was some Nintendo planning meeting and they were like "Well we could drop a huge title every month, but damn it we are just doing so well, fuck it lets not bother at all in 2018" is hilarious.

Hero2Zero

Mar 10, 2018
Not exactly weak, I agree. But each year a Nintendo platform needs its SM3DW moment, its BotW moment, its SMO moment, its Metroid Prime moment.

And if you've been playing Nintendo systems for the past 2 gens, then this year lacks that moment for you, since smash (while NOT a port) isn't THAT much different from the Wii U edition as of yet, and Pokemon Lets Go (while poised to sell well) isn't aimed at the same audience established on the system by BotW and SMO.

For all intents and purposes, 2018 is a lesser year than 2017 by most people's standards. We aren't even getting an "ARMS" like experimental title this year which could have helped.

Year 1 of the Switch was very aggressive because we had new experiences. But year 2 of the Switch is very tame considering we only got very safe looking sequels to games and ports - the only exception being LABO which is rather hit or miss.

Face it, Nintendo played it very VERY safe this year. And I do think that is an objectively truthful criticism.

people are very underselling smash. like smash is a bigger deal then animal crossing.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Their show was really bad, but to put it into perspective, it would be interresting, and a key moment for Nintendo this year, to see how Spider Man PS4 performs VS Pokemon Switch.
Unlike Switch the PS4 has much more than just 2 games to rely on this year. So even if Pokémon or Smash sell twice as much as Spider-Man , they're not going to hold a candle against Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassins Creed and Call of Duty and Battlefield and Just Cause and and and.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
I guess Labo didn't really sell well with kids? I'm a proud switch owner but these last 6 months have been a wasteland full of indies I already own elsewhere. Now, don't get me wrong I am VERY excited for the second half of the year with Tennis, Octopath, Mario Party, Starlink and Smash! But I can see how the first half of this year is worrying people.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
They need more 'core' games like Breath of the Wild

Recycled Smash is not on the same level as BotW or Odyssey

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for others. But I was well aware that it was focused on 2018 games.

I just expected them to have more 2018 games than just Smash and Pokemon.
Okay first off they DO have more then that. Theres Super Mario Party, Captain Toad, as well as third party games including exclusives like The World Ends With You and Octopath Traveler.

Second, why would you expect them to have even MORE then Smash and Pokemon? They are coming out with two of their biggest IP's less then a month apart and thats still not good enough? A year ago people thought it would be crazy just to get a new Pokemon game but now we have that and Smash? At this point I just don't understand how anyone has these bizarre and unrealistic expectations from Nintendo.

I mean I can understand not liking FE not making 2018 since they said in March it was still a 2018 game but thats was before Pokemon and Smash were announced, once those happened and were confirmed for 2018 there was no way they'd put out FE this year as well. I expected FE to get pushed back months ago and I was generally dismissed but it never made sense to launch a rising IP against two of their biggest series. Outside of that the only game that has been rumored these last few months has been the Star Fox Racing game which at this point we have no idea if its even real or not. Regardless outside of those nothings really been hinted at or rumored. Like I saw people upset at still no Animal Crossing and I just don't know why anyone even thought it would be here, they said beforehand it was 2018 games and if AC did happen it might cannibalize the sales from the casual market that they want to pick up Pokemon but even then there was nothing to even remotely suggest it was happening now.

I'll admit it didn't help that a bunch of stuff like Paladins, DBFZ, Fortnite and others leaked but everything leaked this year and some of those would have been great surprises. Like if we didn't know Fortnite was coming and was just shadow dropped out of no where? That would've been fantastic.

In general though I think people went into this expecting megatons when all the information we had beforehand suggested that wouldn't be the case. With how little we knew about Smash Ultimate you'd have to know a big part of the E3 was going to be spent on that game and that game alone because Smash is a massive thing and its one is one hell of an undertaking.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm pretty hyped for Mario Aces, there's basically 0 other games releasing in 2018 I have any interest in. I'm not at the point of buyers remorse, because I love the hardware and convenience of it, but I really haven't had many reasons to turn the thing on.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I think a big part of the problem is that they haven't done much to show that they've evolved in terms of content and services. The main difference between the 2010-2017 Nintendo that seemed to be struggling to maintain its standing, and the Nintendo of the past two years is now they have pretty desirable hardware.

Third party support doesn't necessarily seem to be trending upward. Halfway through their second year, 95% of what's coming was previously known or heavily rumored. It's mostly late ports of niche titles. The big first party titles that they're announcing and promoting are know quantities. There was always going to be Smash, there was always going to be Mario Party, there was always going to be Pokemon. Sure, these titles will sell well, but they speak the most to the crowd that's mostly already there for Nintendo. The people that helped them to the biggest console launch year in North American history. It takes a very specific type of person to sit through 25 minutes of talk about the 5th entry in a mascot fighting series and not think "what the fuck are they showing me right now?"

It also comes across as pretty arrogant that they're pretending their back catalog, that no other publisher can even come close to matching, shouldn't be a priority to bring to their system. They've dropped that, and they've picked up a subscription service that seems more like a $20 annual charge for absolutely nothing of value. Their online services and features don't even match what they provided on WiiU. They've delayed this service for over a year and seem to be content with the business model of "start charging them $20 for basically nothing."

They need to adopt the Gamepass model by leveraging a comprehensive selection of their NES-Wii and GB-GBA catalog for a reasonable price. Anyone with the take that they'd be giving away too much value with something like that is way lost in the sauce. Microsoft ties their brand-new first party titles to their service. Offering a selection of games that are mostly old enough to drive isn't altruism, it's the right business move. That's a system seller that would generate a $multi-billion$ annual revenue stream separate from the need to create new content.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
Well, to be fair, there was not a lot going on for the Switch at the show. A lot less than I was expecting as well.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
When "a lot riding on Pokémon and Smash" sounds negative. Seriously if you would ever position 2 franchises as your end of year proposition it would be those two.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Personally, I got news on the new Fire Emblem (which looks great btw, seems like they're taking steps away from the Waifus) and I'm getting Smash Bros.: All The Warriors, so I'm satisfied.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You people act like turning out "big, ambitious triple AAA releases, titles month after month" is easy and Nintendo is, by choice, not doing that again this year. Game development takes time and we ARE getting a Pokemon and Smash this year. Last year was an anomaly because Nintendo was able to port over BOTW, which had been in development fora ages on the Switch and to get Odyssey out there quickly. The fact that some of you act like there was some Nintendo planning meeting and they were like "Well we could drop a huge title every month, but damn it we are just doing so well, fuck it lets not bother at all in 2018" is hilarious.
They have had more than enough time to step up development and create more games for the Switch, given by how lackluster the late Wii U days were.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
The downside to having an incredible year? The following year(s) can't possibly live up to expectations, either player or investor.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Party - Pokemon - Smash is going to make up for the slower early months, investors are weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.