• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
The Stock Market is like Paulie in Goodfellas taking over the restaurant... They want their dividends this year no matter what and don't give two shits about the longer term or overall health of a business. Painting investors as gurus with all that dumb ass Invisible Hand peremptory BS is precisely how the myth of Capitalism being fair and balanced and not the most efficient method for the rich to fleece the rest of us perpetuates.

In Nintendo's case it may be that investors have inflated the stock too high since 2017 and are correcting.. Or they know something we don't about mobile or China or something but any reason like that is separate from the reality that they have some quality products that are selling well.. Not to say that a bad stock drop can't affect a business' bottom line but I think this case proves that they are not indelibly connected.

Of course none of this matters in the search for numbers to console war about.. So, carry on I guess.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So.. since shareholders dont really have mich power to influence nintendo s descisions (i.e. how they didnt go full mobile years ago) then why does nintendo have to care too much about the stock price? I really know nothing about these things

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
So.. since shareholders dont really have mich power to influence nintendo s descisions (i.e. how they didnt go full mobile years ago) then why does nintendo have to care too much about the stock price? I really know nothing about these things
A low stockprice could mean reduced power to raise capital, could open companies up to hostile takeovers, although i have no idea how Nintendo is structured.

Last edited:

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
shareholders are the worst

The ones that invest in a company are "the worst" because they don't blindly drink a company's kool-aid like fanboy consumers and sell when they don't think it's profitable for them?

yMKKO6Z.gif

This is the discourse this thread has regressed into.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
A low stockprice could means reduced power to raise capital, could open companies up to hostile takeovers, although i have no idea how Nintendo is structured.

To add to this, a takeover can only happen if nintendo issued so many shares that caused their ownership of the company to dip below 50%. It is one reason why low stock value is important to keep an eye on. If nintendo wants to raise more capital but the stock value remains low, they may feel the need to issue more stocks.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
A low stockprice could means reduced power to raise capital, could open companies up to hostile takeovers, although i have no idea how Nintendo is structured.
from my understanding japan has a few laws that make hostiles take over a real hassle to pull out compared to doing it in USA

The ones that invest in a company are "the worst" because they don't blindly drink a company's kool-aid like fanboy consumers and sell when they don't think it's profitable for them?
in a sense, yes. much like with consoles you invest on it cause you like what they offer, not invest in it and they try to demand em to change their way to fit whatever your (investors) want out of it. if you invest on Nintendo expecting massive spike growth in a short term, you are already doing it wrong from the start

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

yMKKO6Z.gif

Yep.
The people that own the company? They are the worst!
Now why aren't they doing what won't make them money instead?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda announcing games on consoles that don't even exist and Nintendo won't announce something that could come out in 4 months wtf.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

yMKKO6Z.gif

I mean, people do buy and sell stocks in inadequate information. My company's stock took a huge hit when some big news article said 3D printing forecasts were down, so a bunch of people immediately dumped us despite 3D printing being only a portion of our business. They just heard a certain combination of words and responded immediately, kinda like when Nintendo announcing their mobile efforts made investors assume that would be the main thing and an infinite money gravy train.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Do you guys look at Sony and MS stock price as much as Nintendos?
its a different game, any argument that one would try to make about Sony stocks hold little to no value in gameing forums cause Sony and M stocks are influenced by all their branches, not only Xbox or PlayStation. so there is not hot takes to make out of that like when Nintendo (100% games) stocks fluctuate.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
in a sense, yes. much like with consoles you invest on it cause you like what they offer, not invest in it and they try to demand em to change their way to fit whatever your (investors) want out of it. if you invest on Nintendo expecting massive spike growth in a short term, you are already doing it wrong from the start

But none of these investors are trying to change Nintendo for the worse or trying to get them out of the gaming or console business. They are discussing with Nintendo about things that are gonna improve their profitability (which is the true goal of Nintendo as a company believe it or not), like investing more into mobile and online services because that's what's lucrative now according them and the market. They aren't asking them to completely "change their ways", just to in some extent adapt (which sounds bad to us as game enthusiasts). Your ill will towards shareholders/investors is completely misguided and somewhat childish tbh. But yes, investing into a company and expecting or demanding spike growth is silly, but no big shareholder/investor does that.

Last edited:

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
I mean, people do buy and sell stocks in inadequate information. My company's stock took a huge hit when some big news article said 3D printing forecasts were down, so a bunch of people immediately dumped us despite 3D printing being only a portion of our business. They just heard a certain combination of words and responded immediately, kinda like when Nintendo announcing their mobile efforts made investors assume that would be the main thing and an infinite money gravy train.

I'm not saying investors always make great and righteous decisions. I'm simply saying that investors buy into companies they have faith can make a profit, that's it. They're the ones that keep publicly traded companies a float and deeming them all as saboteurs in the case of Nintendo's falling stock is naïve. They want the best for Nintendo and themselves and if they don't see thing getting better, they will sell and buy something better. That's how the market goes.

In the case of your company, I'm sure things picked up afterwards when it was revealed that the rumor was false and/or didn't effect your company or am I wrong?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Umm yeah they are the worst sometimes. Have you ever read FY Results Q&A and some of the dumbest questions they ask? You've got to be kidding me

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But none of these investors are trying to change Nintendo for the worse or trying to get them out of the gaming or console business. They are discussing with Nintendo about things that are gonna improve their profitability (which is the true goal of Nintendo as a company believe it or not), like investing more into mobile and online services because that's what's lucrative now according them and the market. They aren't asking them to completely "change their ways", just to in some extent adapt (which sounds bad to us as game enthusiasts). You're ill will towards shareholders/investors is completely misguided and somewhat childish tbh. But yes, investing into a company and expecting or demanding spike growth is silly, but no big shareholder/investor does that.
They don't THINK they're trying to change it for the worse, but shareholders are working on incomplete information. Nintendo management has a MUCH better idea of what will be profitable for them. Shareholders just see others making money on mobile and think the same can be true for Nintendo without having the in depth knowledge that management has. Shareholders are focused on short term metrics. Nintendo is looking more big picture. So while shareholders have their own best interest in mind they are hardly infallible with their suggestions

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Could be rational if the value of your company was partially due to expectations that your 3d printing division would grow substantially.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying investors always make great and righteous decisions. I'm simply saying that investors buy into companies they have faith can make a profit, that's it. They're the ones that keep publicly traded companies a float and deeming them all as saboteurs in the case of Nintendo's falling stock is naïve. They want the best for Nintendo and themselves and if they don't see thing getting better, they will sell and buy something better. That's how the market goes.

In the case of your company, I'm sure things picked up afterwards when it was revealed that the rumor was false and/or didn't effect your company or am I wrong?

Things are fine now but it was a pretty significant hit at the time. I'm just saying that I understand why someone could be frustrated with these huge buys and sell-offs based on news reports that are tangential to a company's actual core business.

Could be rational if the value of your company was partially due to expectations that your 3d printing division would grow substantially.

Realistically, it was "2/3 of this company is exceeding expectations but the last part might be flat." In practice it was a "3D PRINTING = DOWN = SELL SELL SELL" from people who bought our stock incorrectly thinking we were primarily a 3D printing company.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo expects the 1st quarter to be down they must be expecting a 2 and 3 million November and December NPD to make up for the fact

Flecko

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Nintendo needs to be more informative. Their online and games and how will really work, what about their first and second parties (looking at you Retro Studios). Nintendo will not reinvent the wheel in the online topic, sadly. So come Nintendo go all out

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Stock holders 101, people that know nothing, or the average stock holder think in the same line of the average ERA doom poster
Nintendo: We will announce more games at a later date
ERA: THEY OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOTHING OR THEY WOULD HAVE SHOWN IT ALREADY, PRIME IS CANNED!!

Yeah, this.

I wouldn't call Nintendo's Holiday line-up god-tier, lol.
But there isn't a majority of people claiming this. It's not even below "good". It's a great line-up and we'll get more games next year. Either Nintendo's fans are incredibly spoiled or they just love to hate.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Nintendo needs to be more informative. Their online and games and how will really work, what about their first and second parties (looking at you Retro Studios). Nintendo will not reinvent the wheel in the online topic, sadly. So come Nintendo go all out

I'm afraid that it's not only a matter of being more informative, but more a matter of content. It may be comforting to think that they are sitting on tons of exciting announcements, but it is at least equally possible that they just don't have much more to show both first party and third party wise.

Being a long time Nintendo fan, that's what I'm inclined to think; since the n64, I have gotten used to being disappointed. But I still prefer a disappointing Nintendo than the two others, that's all.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
shareholders are the worst
Complaining about shareholders not blindly investing in a company. Lol.
Whataboutism.

This thread has it all, I bet there was also a flow of "Nintendo is doomed" messages several pages ago. Will give it a read later when I've got more time.

Nintendo still keeping the 3DS around and talking about its future makes me think they still plan to release another handheld, maybe late 2019?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017

Whataboutism.

This thread has it all, I bet there was also a flow of "Nintendo is doomed" messages several pages ago. Will give it a read later when I've got more time.

Nintendo still keeping the 3DS around and talking about its future makes me think they still plan to release another handheld, maybe late 2019?
If this handheld runs Switch games, sure. Otherwise it's not happening.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whataboutism.

Whataboutism is the weakest word yall made popular to dismiss a question. Not even an argument. The guy asked a question lol.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Pokemon making the move to put their core games on Switch says it all when it comes to a possible new handheld, unless (like others have already said) it's just a smaller Switch without docking/joycon capabilities or something.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If this handheld runs Switch games, sure. Otherwise it's not happening.
Would that be feasible for Nintendo though? I know they're offering a dock-less option through MyNintendo in Japan, but I don't think they'd make it a worldwide alternative just yet, maybe a few years down the line?

Whataboutism is the weakest word yall made popular to dismiss a question. Not even an argument. The guy asked a question lol.
Nuh-uh, it's a rhetoric used by children (I'm not kidding here) to avoid trouble or being uncomfortable when someone is talking to them in a way they don't like. "But Timmy failed the test too! It wasn't just me"

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Realistically, it was "2/3 of this company is exceeding expectations but the last part might be flat." In practice it was a "3D PRINTING = DOWN = SELL SELL SELL" from people who bought our stock incorrectly thinking we were primarily a 3D printing company.

Hm, well expectations could have been that you would move more in that direction in the future. Its not as much about performance now in the models as it is about expectations. That said, there are many cases of overcorrections, and these theories assume perfect information symmetry for the most part, so YMMV. (I hated finance and investments as a subject in college).

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would that be feasible for Nintendo though? I know they're offering a dock-less option through MyNintendo in Japan, but I don't think they'd make it a worldwide alternative just yet, maybe a few years down the line?

Nuh-uh, it's a rhetoric used by children (I'm not kidding here) to avoid trouble or being uncomfortable when someone is talking to them in a way they don't like. "But Timmy failed the test too! It wasn't just me"
Yeah but its being used too much to the point where it doesn't make sense in some cases.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

yMKKO6Z.gif

Shareholders aren't some monolithic block.
There are the 'quick flip' traders who repeatedly buy and sell and chase trends because they're just trying to make a fast buck.
There are the 'institutional' traders that are long term investors and are investing in the overall value of a company.

Nintendo have a large amount of institutional investors.
Its not JPMorgan Chase cashing out their stocks because they thought the switch was the wii and nintendo + mobile = moneyz

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

People do need comparisons for perspective sometimes.

Ultimately though, there can't really be any conclusions drawn from Nintendo's stock performance right now. It can shoot right back up at the end of the year. At the moment the Switch is doing perfectly fine.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eh, Nintendo's stock are more interesting because they're only a gaming company. Both MS and Sony have other products. It's only when a significant portion of their products are concerning (Sony in previous years when their movie industry was tanking badly that it was affecting everything) is when stocks are more interesting for them. Because Nintendo is so specific to video games, the stock is usually used as a barometer on how people are perceiving it (whether or not this is accurate is another question).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah but its being used too much to the point where it doesn't make sense in some cases.
It does in this case though, because I'm reading some interesting discussion about Nintendo's decisions and possible moves going forward, like them taking their time with mobile investments for example and not being completely aggressive in that market, but this "Do you guys also pay attention to these 2 other companies' stocks? Huh? Do you?" rhetoric just tries to write off any kind of commentary and discussion about the topic, it's not really a question asked in good faith and you know that.
People do need comparisons for perspective sometimes.

Ultimately though, there can't really be any conclusions drawn from Nintendo's stock performance right now. It can shoot right back up at the end of the year. At the moment the Switch is doing perfectly fine.
Yeah and I think that's what's most important for the time being, Switch is a healthy console and its outlook is looking great, plus its second year in the market is just starting. With that said, I'm very curious about what Nintendo's actual plans for the handheld market are, but I guess we'll have to wait some more till we have more solid statements in that regard.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Shareholders aren't some monolithic block.
There are the 'quick flip' traders who repeatedly buy and sell and chase trends because they're just trying to make a fast buck.
There are the 'institutional' traders that are long term investors and are investing in the overall value of a company.

Nintendo have a large amount of institutional investors.
Its not JPMorgan Chase cashing out their stocks because they thought the switch was the wii and nintendo + mobile = moneyz

Why are you saying the bolded to me? I don't think or said they are. In fact, the people in this thread that say stuff like "investors are the worst" are the ones that think they are a monolithic entity by the sound of things.

They don't THINK they're trying to change it for the worse, but shareholders are working on incomplete information. Nintendo management has a MUCH better idea of what will be profitable for them. Shareholders just see others making money on mobile and think the same can be true for Nintendo without having the in depth knowledge that management has. Shareholders are focused on short term metrics. Nintendo is looking more big picture. So while shareholders have their own best interest in mind they are hardly infallible with their suggestions

This could be said about any company really. Your view of investors is really one-sided, they aren't all just out for a quick buck....

Things are fine now but it was a pretty significant hit at the time. I'm just saying that I understand why someone could be frustrated with these huge buys and sell-offs based on news reports that are tangential to a company's actual core business.

I get that it sucked for you and your company, but in the case of Nintendo there are no false rumors (from what we know) that is making a significant portion of investors to sell their Nintendo stock. It's simply them and the market deeming Nintendo not as profitable as they and Nintendo themselves thought they were initially this year. This is just a current trend and things obviously can change, so I don't understand why people have such a malicious outlook on investors. It's just business.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway, there's no real reason for Nintendo to be so tightly guarded about their future 18 months of game releases.

1. No one in the AAA space makes similar games to them anymore so they won't get ripped off if that is the worry.
2. Investors obviously hate uncertainty.

It just seems dumb.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why are you saying the bolded to me? I don't think or said they are. In fact, the people in this thread that say stuff like "investors are the worst" are the ones that think they are a monolithic entity by the sound of things.

This could be said about any company really. Your view of investors is really one-sided, they aren't all just out for a quick buck....

I get that it sucked for you and your company, but in the case of Nintendo there are no false rumors (from what we know) that is making a significant portion of investors to sell their Nintendo stock. It's simply them and the market deeming Nintendo not as profitable as they and Nintendo themselves thought they were initially this year. This is just a current trend and things obviously can change, so I don't understand why people have such a malicious outlook on investors. It's just business.
Yeah you don't get it. Very naive. No point in continuing with you.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Anyway, there's no real reason for Nintendo to be so tightly guarded about their future 18 months of game releases.

1. No one in the AAA space makes similar games to them anymore so they won't get ripped off if that is the worry.
2. Investors obviously hate uncertainty.

It just seems dumb.
what 18 months, we know what is coming within the next 6 and more are to be revealed.
and again, Investors are just cows jumping of a cliff cause other cows are jumping too. so their are not likely to matter much

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Yeah you don't get it. Very naive. No point in continuing with you.

So you got no arguments towards my basic explanation of how publicly trade companies work and how they cooperate with shareholders/investors?

And I'm supposed to be the naïve one for not seeing how those evil shareholders that directly pay and own Nintendo are out to corrupt them with bad ideas and how poor Nintendo can't just be left alone with their money to make games out of the goodness in their heart and don't have to deal with their investors/shareholders pesky "opinions/ideas/demands". Alright, just stick with thinking that Nintendo is faultless and all investors are out for a quick buck (like this would be an exclusive thing to Nintendo even if this was the case, all companies have to deal and compromise with investors).

You're an embarrassment going by your posts in other threads so I shouldn't be surprised that it was a waste of time replying to you.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's deserved. Nintendo needs to stop acting like they're a top secret government agency. You make video games, you're not an espionage agency.

No one is going to copy you and make Uncharted Go or Halo Smash Brothers because you let people see a game.

You need to excite your audience base once in a while, the whole strategy of keeping everyone in the dark and hoarding information until like 1 month before release in some cases is ridiculous.

Open things up, show things a little earlier, even Yamauchi and early Iwata era Nintendo was not this ridiculously secretive. It gets to a point where all your accomplishing is pushing people to have minimal excitement for your brand because you just opt to keep them in the dark all the time.

It's freaking July. If there is some DOOM/Wolfenstein type third party title coming to the Switch in a few months, let people freaking know about it. This strategy is actively hurting their stock price now, there's no doubt about it, it's idiotic. Letting people get excited about your future is not a bad thing FFS.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason, Nintendo doesn't seem to be too worried about this given the higher ups' responses when asked about it. And they know more about the upcoming games lineup than we do, so we probably shouldn't be worried either.

That said, I think it'd be wise to lay off of the "cards close to the chest" strategy a bit. It makes sense but they're going way too far in that direction

Status
Not open for further replies.