• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
5Uonkz7.png

This week, Nintendo took two of these sites to court. In a complaint filed at a federal court in Arizona, the game publisher sues LoveROMS and LoveRETRO for copyright and trademark infringement.

Both sites are believed to be operated by Jacob Mathias and his Arizona company Mathias Designs LLC. They offer access to a wide variety of ROMs, including many Nintendo games.

"The LoveROMs and LoveRETRO websites are among the most open and notorious online hubs for pirated video games," Nintendo writes in the complaint.

Through the lawsuit, which also lists a count of unfair competition, Nintendo hopes to shut both sites down. The company requests statutory damages of $150,000 per infringing Nintendo game and up to $2,000,000 for each trademark infringement.

This means that, with more than 140 copyrighted titles and 40 trademarks on the record, theoretical damages could go up to a staggering $100 million.

Read the full article here:
https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-sues-console-rom-sites-for-mass-copyright-infringement-180720

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Never see the point in going after these sites. 1 goes down 10 more pop up. The only way you can combat piracy is providing an easier alternative, which Nintendo doesn't seem keen on doing.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo has been chasing ROM websites for years, nothing special about yet another one getting squashed.

Also, isn't linking to said website in the cut out blurb technically breaking the rules here?

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
While Nintendo is well within its rights to sue these websites, a lot of them are located outside of the US and are likely to just keep shell gaming it to avoid any punishment.

The positive to this though is that people have shown a willingness to buy the real McCoy, so the more games they get on virtual consoles and mini consoles the better.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Never see the point in going after these sites. 1 goes down 10 more pop up. The only way you can combat piracy is providing an easier alternative, which Nintendo doesn't seem keen on doing.
See the post above. Probably building a record for going after bigger sites next.
Maybe even the soon to be modchips and free cfw coming out soon.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
See the post above. Probably building a record for going after bigger sites next.
Maybe even the soon to be modchips and free cfw coming out soon.

They don't need this to do that. They took gateway sellers to court repeatedly and won. They have the groundwork to crush anyone if they so choose.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This is to be expected. It won't change anything in the long run, but Nintendo needs to enforce their rights.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is going to be a never-ending story for Nintendo, they can't keep up with the speed at which these ROMs are made available.

Metalik

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Moscow, Russia
User Banned (3 day): do not discuss, condone or advocate for piracy.
I actually really liked LoveROMS. Sure, it's filled with pop-ups like there's no tomorrow, but the download speeds, man.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
You've got to be pretty stupid to register a ROM distribution site in the US.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
They want them to "reveal the source" of the ROMs? That makes me think they and their lawyers are clueless.

They used some ancient ripped ROM from the Internet in their own sold products before...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1uEwjx7VI

Do they know what a ROM even is?

The sources are lost to the ages.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Didn't Nintendo actually download some of these Roms from these download sites and resold for the consumers some time ago?

I remember to read something like that on the old site.

It's been hinted that the Roms on virtual console and the classic console series are Roms that Nintendo didn't rip themselves, but pirated online instead. Pretty hypocritical if true.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They are a multibillion-dollar corporation they can take on anyone and win without even trying
Nintendo has lost before, when they went after flash cart manufacturers - the court ruled that if the manufacturer doesn't advertise the ability to play illegal roms, it's perfectly legal, so some of the flash cart makers got off scott free.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's weird is Nintendo isn't even trying to sell us SNES Roms. Other than the Classic series of consoles now, which have sold faster than they can make them.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 29, 2017
This is going to be a never-ending story for Nintendo, they can't keep up with the speed at which these ROMs are made available.

It was already like fighting a hydra back when I was in elementary school. I'm in my 30's now.

It's simply too easy to host and share this stuff for them to ever clamp down on it.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
They want them to "reveal the source" of the ROMs? That makes me think they and their lawyers are clueless.

They used some ancient ripped ROM from the Internet in their own sold products before...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1uEwjx7VI

Do they know what a ROM even is?

The sources are lost to the ages.
They still own the copyright of the ripped ROMs, even if the source is out in the wild. It's just that no one claimed to be the new owner for those ROMs, and you can't claim them because copyright duration hasn't ended yet (Expect to be around 2075 for the duration to end).

Seraphic

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Please do not rationalize or justify piracy on the forum
How many times does Nintendo think people should buy the same game from them?
Maybe they are just mad they have 20mil hack-able Switches in the wild and are trying to take their anger out.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much damage can they do if only 0.5% of the roms out there can be bought legitimately on current Nintendo platforms?

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How much damage can they do if only 0.5% of the roms out there can be bought legitimately on current Nintendo platforms?
Somebody who downloads a rom for non-archival purposes wouldn't necessarily be willing to pay for a legitimate copy of the rom. So the revenue lost is greater than zero, but indeterminate.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Going back to Nesticle one of the OG emulators for windows, this has been a losing battle for Nintendo. I understand they want to assert their rights, but it is dumb to do this and then not offer an alternative permanent source for consumers to buy legal copies.

In many aspects, the emulation scene has kept retro nostalgia alive when the manufacturers were keen on burying all that goodness for time immemorial.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has been chasing ROM websites for years, nothing special about yet another one getting squashed.

Also, isn't linking to said website in the cut out blurb technically breaking the rules here?
You dont think them suing for 100 million dollars might be a bit of a deterrent?
Edit: whoops, tagged the wrong comment

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yowchies

I guess this serves to discourage general emulation of Nintendo games, but they're wildin if they think it's going away

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
They still own the copyright of the ripped ROMs, even if the source is out in the wild. It's just that no one claimed to be the new owner for those ROMs, and you can't claim them because copyright duration hasn't ended yet (Expect to be around 2075 for the duration to end).
Or whenever Steamboat Willie is in public domain.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I wish they put half as much effort into releasing old games onto their current platforms as they did taking them down from random romsites.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they even bother, it's a losing battle, piracy is like a hydra, cut off one of its head and 2 will take its place. So long as they can host their sites in unscrupulous locations, it's never going to change.